[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000001198.webm (2.72 MB, 480x270)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB WEBM
So I'm thinking about starting rugby in my local amateur league. It's full tackle and all that, practice twice a week. My stats are:

5'10" at 195lbs
165 OHP
320 Bench
360 Squat
465 DL
run 3 times a week, 2x 4.25 miles and 1x 6+ miles. No sprinting though, I'm slow currently

Most people playing this are kids 18 and 19 and guys in their 40s, I'm 36.

Anyone else do anything like this? What am I in for? Also general sport thread
>>
Definitely start. A good portion of your team are probably novices, too. You'll make a lot of new friends, and it will give you more purpose for lifting and getting in good cardio shape. I started at 31.
>>
>>74216562
Good for you OP
Your stats tell me you'll probably be a forward, meaning it's your job to block and tackle the opposing ball carrier in defence, and on attack to either (a) get the ball out of the center to the wings asap, or (b) carry the ball and punch through the middle.
As a forward you'll also take your part in the set pieces, like the scrum
The backs tend to be the smaller, quicker guys, whose job is to run the ball over the line. But being little fellas they need the big boys to protect them
The rule is
>the forwards win the game, the backs score the points
Definitely go for it
>general sport thread
About to go rock climbing. Just training alone today, going to work an easy route on the auto belay over and over for the forearm cardio gains. Aggravated my back at the weekend and it's killing me but the walk to the gym will do me good
>>
>>74216666
>>74218186

Awesome, thanks guys. I have no idea what position I'll be put in, I thought I'd probably be a smaller dude but I'm used to the pro team in my town, they dwarf me. I'm in the states so it's a niche sport here.
>>
>>74216562
Nice OP good luck
>Also general sport thread
Got a 300m time trial today, hopefully I can go into the 37-36 range
Goal is to break 50 in the 400m by next March
>>
File: 1705775439096814.jpg (165 KB, 1077x807)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>tfw wanna start boxing but am too worried im gonna look like a sperg
>>
File: 1000001248.jpg (65 KB, 720x718)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>74220597

Any decent boxing gyms near you? Have you looked?
>>
>>74216562
Nice anon,

I play rugby in the UK, have done for nearly 14 years (started young) - currently in the forwards but aiming to end up a back

You'll learn to fall in love with the game and all.

My advice:
- Watch games online, and follow your number when you know what position they are
- Buy a ball and practice catching it at home, practice passing also
- Learn to go for a recovery swim after a game, it does wonder
- You will fuck up during a game, just own it and move onto the next thing you have to do
- If you get a red card, you own your team an apology, nothing deep but a "shit sorry lads, my bad"
We have new lads 17-40 coming down to play all the time.
>>
>>74216562
I can't stand people who use smartphones beyond the function to call somebody.
>>
>>74220933

That's awesome. It's got to be a completely different animal over there, here in Texas it's a niche sport like I said. Watching the city pro team has been great and has a solid turnout, we even have a guy starting hooker who is the first kid to come up through the U18 program.

I have no idea what position to go for, but I presume I'll figure that out/get placed by the coaches once I get some practices in. What position are you? Any other advice for a beginner?
>>
File: 1702384241996987.png (483 KB, 1200x756)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
bump
>>
>>74216562
>when Jews show me pictures of the women and children they've bombed in Gaza
>>
>>74220494
Well fucked that one, accelerated well but between 80-150m sorta lost the rhythm/relaxed too much and ended up blowing out to a 39.2 so a bit off what I wanted
But the 39 felt far easier than that pace used to be so that's good I think
Might come out on the weekend for another time trial or will leave it for another 6 weeks for the next rest and test week
>>
>>74223127

What does the training regimen for that look like? How do you get faster?
>>
File: 1VwEOazIWSQH.jpg (105 KB, 1080x1299)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>74222257
>>
>>74223787
As someone into black chicks or really any chick it's a great time to be alive.
>>
>>74216562
Full contact sport at a non professional level is for drunk wankers to be able to punch people in the back of the head without consequences.
Just do MMA. At least it's honest and you'll see the asshole coming.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.