[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Just got a construction job, how do I make sure I don't ruin my body and how do I develop some strength doing it?
>>
>>74220406
Anavar only cycles.
>>
>>74220406
for once ss and gmad is the actual answer
>>
>>74220424
>Taking drugs
Couldn't be me.

>>74220442
I want to "train" at work so I don't need to go to gym afterwards.
>>
>>74220406
Man these guys are ugly af
They should have robots do construction
>>
>>74220406
What kind of construction? Depending on the field it's not all that physically demanding. You might be on your feet all day, but that really shouldn't be exhausting for anyone. The fat guy in your pic is proof enough that it's not that demanding.. I worked construction for a few years and was still hitting the gym every day after work, construction does not give you the workout you think it will.
>>
>>74220548
Construction, like any other manual labor job, is mostly about endurance. There's some heavy shit once in a while, but think about it, the job is dominated by 5'2" Latinos - most everything you handle is going to babbyweight or handled by machines. You'll be on your feet all day, yeah, but you'll be used to that in a month. Treat the job as a calorie burner, for which it'll be great, but you won't get jacked without supplemental workouts.
>>
>>74220570
I'll be a grunt at an old building renovation project.
>>
>>74220406
Apply to be a construction inspector after a year of experience so you don't actually have to work hard.
>>
>>74220406
Manual labour is just weighted cardio. It just tires you out.
The guys that develop injuries either get it suddenly from falling off scaffolding or bashing their head into a beam. The back pain and stuff is just from being weak and lifting wrong all the time.
If you can deadlift 1 plate you can do all the physical labour you need to, but if you can deadlift 4 plates, your workload doesn't actually increase but it becomes way easier and doesn't actually lead to back pain developing.
Just treat your job as a job, you still need to go to the gym.
>>
>>74220591
>renovation
Hardest parts of that are carting around debris and sheet rock and stuff. I did all that as a weak collegecel.
Just don't fall down stairs or something.
Eat a bit more so you don't lose muscle, or don't if you want to lose fat.
Construction boomers are all fat and injured because they're the same as normies and don't do anything good for their body.
>>
>>74220591
be anal about:
1) not breathing in dust
2) not getting dust/debris in your eyes
3) not getting your hands dirty and touching your face
4) removing as much dust from your body/clothes as possible before leaving the jobsite

old buildings have a bunch of legacy chemicals in them that you do not want inside your body. Don't let boomers try and talk down your concern for your own safety either, just look at them and their health problems to see how that ends up.
>t. former painter of 15 years
>>
>>74220639
>carting around debris
That I expect to do a lot.

>sheet rock
That's not used there, it's mostly renovating huge stone walls and facades.
>>
>>74220406
Quit
>>
>>74220707
I'll be working outside which helps but yes I'm worried about dust because I'm a rooner and don't want to ruin my lungs.
>Chemicals
Not a concern because the building itself predates that kek.
>>
>>74220406
Not gonna happen. You have until 25 when you notice your body being destroyed and everything past the age of 30 becomes a permanent damaged part.
>t. Former trade cuck
Don't fall for the memes
>>
>>74220406
Same here
My second week of work and this morning I drilled a fuckin hole in my finger fastening some metal shit together when it slipped off cause I was reached out too far. Was a site I wasnt even supposed to be on so I wasnt oriented or signed in or anything, just had to help someone quick. Finger was pouring blood so I had to hide my hand in my pocket walking past the site supervisor and some other white hat guys to the bathroom cause they woulda freaked out
Went home early obviously and taking tomorrow off too

stretch every morning and when you get on site
pack a proper lunch
do core exercises
>>
>>74220548
>Couldn't be me.
Have fun with your normal counts of myonuclei, pussy.
>>
>>74220406
>how do I make sure I don't ruin my body and how do I develop some strength doing it?
use your wages to keep yourself afloat and pay your way through education to gtfo asap, 90% of trades are a meme and you can study your way into a comfy office job unless you're actually sub-80 iq
>>
>>74220835
What was your background before you got the job? Do you think you're going to stay? How is the working environment for new guys, was there any hazing?

>>74220954
That ship has sailed, is either trades, fast food or factory/warehouse waggie.
>>
>>74220975
Was a tow truck operator before. Probably gonna stay for the summer at least. Didnt get any hazing or anything, I think because I'm early 30s and can shoot the shit pretty good with the guys, but young guys like late teens early 20s get chirped. If you're friendly and cool and dont just fluoride stare they probably wont mess with you much
>>
>>74220975
>That ship has sailed
no it hasn't anon, a bachelors is 3-4 years (full-time) depending on where you live. I knew a couple guys that went to college in their 30s, some for first degrees some for seconds. a lot of them now offer fully remote courses if you're not able to physically make it, you've just got to want it and have a 5-year plan for the future
>>
>>74221077
>If you're friendly and cool and dont just fluoride stare they probably wont mess with you much
Anon I've been on 4chan for a decade so lots of autism.

>>74221166
I appreciate your advice but I'll give construction a try and see how it goes.
>>
>>74220406
when i worked a physical job I did low rep high weight compounds. We just had a baby too so I didnt have the time or energy for the gym, but theres plenty of guys who make it work.
>>
>>74220406
get a new job
>>
>>74220406
stretch before and after work, lift with your hips not your back, don't take drugs, avoid fast food, limit your alcohol to the weekends. most importantly, have a plan to get out as soon as possible.
>>
>>74221166
NTA but I have a useless degree already how do I into a decent job?
>>
>>74220406
General Contractor here. Independent and don’t rely on cheap labor…which translates to basically doing everything myself. I’ll tell you this. Eat well, lift, take care of your joints…krill oil, glucosamine etc..stay hydrated. I ruck 3-4 days a week…keeps my core strong and prevents my back from being fucked. Figure in an hour a day, 6 days a week for either lifting or doing maintenance shit to keep yourself from deteriorating. It doesn’t take much, a couple 60 hour weeks on site without taking the time to keep your body up…you will fuck your self sooner rather than later.
>>
>>74220406
Just get you 9 hours of sleep and eat properly.
Maybe do some stretches or hit areas that aren't worked a lot.
>>
File: IMG_20240503_161439342.jpg (2.61 MB, 4080x2296)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
Make sure to stretch your low back and hammies everyday. And strengthen your core and hammies. After that you need endurance, learn to pace yourself at work. Most work you'll be doing won't just be done in 5 mintues. I've dug for 3 days straight trying to find a waterline leak. On that 3 day as I found the source of the leak I totally effed my back up. After that I've worked on strengthening and stretching my back. Dr. Goodman Foundation training is actually good.

The Plumber.
>>
Good form and hopefully low hours.
>>
>>74220707
Important
>>74221783
Smart

I would also add- make sure to use good form for your movements at work the same way you do excerisizes at the gym. Many hurting tradesmen are that way simply due to not caring about their posture or ergonomics (I say that but also hurt my shoulder recently wrenching at a wierd angle lol)
>>
>>74220707
God bless
>>74220406
Please sleep a lot op
>>
>>74220707
>old buildings have a bunch of legacy chemicals in them that you do not want inside your body. Don't let boomers try and talk down your concern for your own safety either, just look at them and their health problems to see how that ends up.
It seems a lot of construction workers have this mentality where they dont care about safety regulations because they are to tough and manly for it. Its a really bad mentality, do not fall for that shit.
>>
>>74220548
>I want to "train" at work so I don't need to go to gym afterwards.
nah not gonna happen. if you arent fit to begin with you wont last
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAI7UAFW7Bw
Just don't eat shit or drink a lot
>>
>>74223856
I don't drink at all.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.