[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gentoo.png (48 KB, 287x300)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
Okay, why do you use it?
What's the point?
>>
So I don't have to install it again when someone tells me to.
>>
To feel a tiny semblance of superiority amongst the other fat virgins on this board
>>
total control
>>
Filtering archfags.
>>
just think it's neat desu
>>
>>100123865
What’s the use case of total control?
>>
>>100122966
Dunno what to tell you, fell for the meme.
>>
>>100122966
After actually installing it and using it for a bit, Gentoo feels like the absolute endgame of Linux elitism. I suddenly appreciate just werks distros like Mint 100x more than I ever had before. As >>100123996 said, Arch elitists and most other Linux elitists might setup a system that's a bit more trivial to setup than a simple one like Mint and feel elitist over it, but once you fall for the meme and install Gentoo, not only do you better understand Linux, you better appreciate simpler Linux distros. I think this is going to be the last time I'll install Gentoo, so if I ever build a new PC, I might as well just setup Mint or Artix and be done with it. But it's a very interesting experience and my system definitely feels pretty fast.
>>
>>100125354
>not only do you better understand Linux
huh? I asked /g/tards whether installing and using gentoo would be an educative experience and they said no
what did you learn?
>>
>>100122966
Because I like privacy at the cost of computing power.
>>
>>100125513
>huh? I asked /g/tards whether installing and using gentoo would be an educative experience and they said no
Not the guy you were replying to, but whoever told you that is a piece of shit. Gentoo is one of the most educational experiences there is, even if you fail at your first install you'll have learned a shitload, about how Linux works under the hood, compiling and optimizing packages, console commands and tricks that you can also apply on other distros.
>>
>>100122966
Being able to mix stable and unstable packages effortlessly without any dependency hell.
>>
File: gentoopeng.jpg (59 KB, 1000x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>
>>100122966
To have a declarative Linux without AIDS >>100125649
>>
File: 1688063572217855.jpg (55 KB, 746x1000)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
I encourage all to install and use gentoo to see how dogshit it is
if you actually use your system and put applications on it ur gonna get a rediculous compile time every few days when u update

There is also very little native applications that gentoo supports, for example if you use a vpn client like mullvad u need to make an ebuild or use some random shitheads off the overlay websites because every software dev/vendor packages for deb and rpm

Hunting down the use flags for every individual package you need is cancer. Actually, the entire package manager is cancer. Oh but dont worry, the cancer doesnt go away, when the system updates eventually after some time your use flags will conflict and you will need to have even more cancer solving whatever broke

Gentoo is for you to strip the kernel of your muffin kiosk. yes you heard me right, a muffin kiosk. That is the ONLY use case for which this operating system is justifiable to install. Daily driving gentoo on the desktop is a full time job YOU dont get paid for.
t. someone who fell for the meme
>>
>>100125513
who? about the only thing more educational than gentoo is lfs, but unlike gentoo, lfs is really /just/ educational, as in it's not something you would actually want as a desktop os
>>
>>100126642
>it ur gonna get a rediculous compile time every few days when u update
>go to sleep
>leave PC compiling
>wake up and everything's done
The horror.

>There is also very little native applications that gentoo supports, for example if you use a vpn client like mullvad u need to make an ebuild or use some random shitheads off the overlay websites because every software dev/vendor packages for deb and rpm
Compiling from source is kinda the point of the whole distro.

>Hunting down the use flags for every individual package you need is cancer.
It really isn't. There are several websites where you can look up USE flags. You also don't need to set up local USE flags for every single package you emerge. That's fucking autistic. The global USE flags you set up during your install are the most important ones.

>Gentoo is for you to strip the kernel of your muffin kiosk. yes you heard me right, a muffin kiosk. That is the ONLY use case for which this operating system is justifiable to install. Daily driving gentoo on the desktop is a full time job YOU dont get paid for.
Gentoo is great for optimizing a computer to make the most out of its resources. It's a niche system for people that do software development with lots of compiling, pentesters and cybersecurity people, and a few other edge cases. Certainly agree with you, that I would not run a business with Gentoo, I don't think it was made with that objective in mind either.
>>
>>100122966
I'm thinking of installing it because it may make me a better C and C++ programmer. Did I get memed?
>>
>>100127206
Why the fuck would you think this? If you wanna become a better C/C++ programmer, write code in C/C++. A linux distro is practically pre-installed software + package manager + software repos. The only reason to use Gentoo is to maintain an autistic level of control over your system, which is fine if that's what you need/want. But there's really nothing on Gentoo you can't do on other distros. Want a customized kernel on your Ubuntu? Open gentoo wiki and follow the instructions. Want to compile every program yourself and define all the compiler flags? You don't need portage or Gentoo's repos for that, though they make it easier. If you want to better understand C/C++ tooling, stop using an IDE to do everything, use learn to use gcc from the terminal, and then write your own make/cmake files.
>>
>>100122966
The point is to uninstall it, then reinstall it.
>>
Fun distro, if you need low memory distro it's perfect as you can make it as minimal as possible and it won't ever break as it's does what you tell it to do and nothing more, it's also good at teaching linux newfags
>t. linux ex-newfag
>>
Based distro
>>
>>100122966
What about Funtoo or Bentōō?
>>
>>100122966
Packages: 1871 (emerge)

this is the first distro i didnt have to reinstall in years because of breaking.
everything being assumed to be compiled from source eases installing obscure ware
great wiki and the guys on IRC are VERY helpful
no systemd
>>
No point
>>
File: wquhrekhx9041.jpg (7 KB, 208x243)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
How's Gentoo for gaming?
>>
>>100122966
What is even gentoo icon? A cartoon fish head?
>>
>>100128389
Has Wine, Lutris, includes all the GPU drivers you want, the ability to customize kernel can help you get some performence boost and get lower RAM usage. I have seen a guy posting screenshots on /v/ from DDA2 on Gentoo
>>
>>100128466
i always thought it looked like a magatama, but it could be coincidence
>>
>>100128466
It's a g, bruv.
g for gentoo.
>>
>>100129514
>t. newfag who fell for the ironic Install Gentoo meme unironically
>>
File: IMG_6887.png (344 KB, 787x699)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
I dunno what you homos are on about. Ive been daily driving gentoo for years and its always just werked
Games go through steam or wine fine, linux only software is fine

Shit like firefox has binary versions so it doesnt waste your time. I even use systemd too because I cant be assed and nothing broke. Portage keeps my system from breaking and thats why I keep using it
I can offload compiling to a home lab if I want to but I really dont need to anymore

pic related i guess for the hivemind
>>
File: genchu.png (12 KB, 128x113)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>100128466
>>
>>100122966
I have an X201 collecting dust. Maybe i should install gentoo on it.
>>
>>100128389
it games just fine
decided to use it instead of my arch install when I was finally fully replacing windows on my nvme array with an install that I had on a portable ssd
portage has some nice features that let me get around some issues I've had in the past that something like pacman on arch doesn't make as easy (still doable just not as intended if that makes sense)
I basically tried it out because I was getting into makepkg flag autism for AUR -git packages and didn't have much of a reason to stop
>>100128633
damn that's probably me
>>
>>100130397
yep same mangohud overlay, pretty cool
>>
>>100122966
Good distro ("distro") but I'd install something else like Void Linux again if I wanted to screw around with loonix on the desktop because of how simple it is
>>
>>100128389
The same as any other distro, theoretically you might get a small percentage boost since it's compiled for your hardware and not every X86 computer in existence. The more you optimize it the less resources it uses. People are exaggerating with how it needs to be maintained every second of your free time, those people are the same kinds of people who struggle with anything that's not Debian/Ubuntu, it's pretty much set and forget unless you wanna change something.
>>
>>100132255
i fell for the void meme but went back to arch because it just werks
>>
>>100122966
there is no point, use arch instead if you want to forget about an operating system and do something on pc
>>
>>100129609
Shouldn't have used a MacBook Pro, kek'd
>>
>>100122966
Why do I use Gentoo?
>no systemd
>extremely customisable - how many other distros let you choose your init system, your C library, your bootloader, modify your kenel any way you like, etc.
>USE flags are cool, but not strictly necessary unless you're building an extremely lightweight system
>teaches you more about Linux, it's about as close as you can get to Linux From Scratch while still having a system that can be used as a daily driver
>no systemd
>the fact that you configure it yourself means it's easier to fix when something goes wrong, compare this to something like Linux Mint where if it breaks you have no idea where to even start looking
>it's satisfying to know that all the software running on my computer was compiled myself
>no systemd
>>
>>100135193
You still have elogind.
>>
>>100125354
>endgame of Linux elitism
Yeah, but you're still just as much as a mindless consumer as someone on macOS. Maybe your toolbars take longer to install and configure, but fundamentally, you aren't creating or doing anything. Wow, you emerge'd OhMyZSH and neofetch, you really are an elite Linux user.

Hell will freeze over when /g/ moves from a culture of consumption to a culture of creation and actually starts posting interesting shit they made, instead of "hey guise I followed the wiki, check out my sick Linocks system"
>>
>>100122966
I was compiling software from source manually on a myriad of different distros and wrestling with the package managers to do what I wanted.

gentoo cured the distro hopping nightmare
>>
>>100136218
Elogind is only necessary if you're using a bloated desktop environment like GNOME or KDE, which most Gentoo users don't.

Besides, if you think I have a problem using some small standalone part of systemd in an otherwise systemd-free system, then you don't understand the opposition to systemd.
>>
>>100122966
The only plausible justification nowadays for Gentoo is performance optimization, and the people who need it are a minority, and specialized at that. You don't need to compile Firefox every version, state-of-the-art computing hardware, and maybe some old hardware or old server that requires to compile with specific flags will need Gentoo. And it is not like you can't compile shit with other distros anyway.
>>100135193
>compare this to something like Linux Mint where if it breaks you have no idea where to even start looking
Uhhh, logs do exist anyway?
>it's satisfying to know that all the software running on my computer was compiled myself
You didn't, your computer did, you just copy and paste
>>
>>100136218
What are you talking about? I use gentoo and I never installed elogind. It's not needed.
>>
If you look at the logo long enough you can convince yourself it's for Plan9
>>
>>100122966
I'm 23 years old and I have autism. I have a big computer and I love staring at my screen when a large program compiles.
>>
>>100126642
Yeah, I don’t daily drive it. That’s autism. But setup and forget servers, it’s great. It I think that’s what you mean, it you said muffin kiosk probably because you’re a ham beast.
>>
>>100127382
I personally loved spending a weekend to get a barely measurable not detectable without benchmark level speed boost
>>
>>100128215
>no systemd
>>
>>100122966
0.01% performance increase
>>
>>100128215
but I am running systemd on gentoo right now, what do you mean?
>>
File: Gentoofags.gif (108 KB, 640x480)
108 KB
108 KB GIF
>>100122966
>>100126383
>To have a declarative without AIDS
You will never be not a meme. lmfao
>>
>>100139006
presumably that he's not using systemd, not that gentoo doesn't support systemd
>>
>>100125354
No. LFS is the endgame of Linux elitism.
Slackware is just a LFS in the completed state, so if you want to be lazy, you become a Slacker.
>>
>>100126642
filtered
>>
>>100122966
Total control. I raping your gf.
>>
>>100124035
Can't be explained to homos.
>>
>>100126642
>I am brainlet
>>100128389
All my games are recorded in Gentoo.
>
>>
>>100128389
All my games are recorded in gentoo
youtube.com/@pajeetsingh

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.