[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713833215875.jpg (60 KB, 350x375)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
How the fuck is it that after all these years, cheat engine has never been forked for Linux? No, fuck PINCE scanmem and konquerer. Why no cheat engine for Linux, anon? This is such a powerful program, but, only useful on windows. I fucking hate windows.
>inb4 wine, bottles, CEserver
>>
gdb
>>
linux doesn't even allow you to fiddle with a process memory until it's a process your program spawned or if you disable the kernel setting
>>
>>100137844
what's this?
>>
>>100137875
that's not true, I cheat in games using konqueror all the time
I would have been bored out of my mind grinding in the yakuza games otherwise
>>
>>100137886
it's a tool skids use to give themselves infinite ammo and life in single player games

>>100137893
it is true, ptrace/process_vm_readv apis require that you either spawn a process yourself or the kernel will tell you to fuck off, unless you're using a distro that just disables security controls like this in which case have fun random exploit stealing your shit when you open a malicious website
>>
>>100137807
Also is there an equivalent to CE's speedhack? I need to be able to speed some old game up on a hotkey, it's unbearable otherwise.
>>
>>100137807
linux is a cheat engine hence why multiplayer games don't work because evil linux hackers will destroy lobbies.

(this is literally what Bungie believes, lol)
>>
>>100137960
it's actually true, I know an MMO that ships a Linux client, on Windows they have very invasive anti-cheat system, on Linux it's not as effective, and people just use Linux to run bots in the game instead of Windows, easier to do, and not detectable
>>
>>100137928
maybe you should be playing better games
>>
i just want to cheat in games i bought. like elden ring and eiyuden chronicles HH
>>
File: r.png (848 KB, 886x1024)
848 KB
848 KB PNG
>>100138058
>HH
what did he mean by this
>>
>>100137910
>it is true, ptrace/process_vm_readv apis require that you either spawn a process yourself or the kernel will tell you to fuck off, unless you're using a distro that just disables security controls like this in which case have fun random exploit stealing your shit when you open a malicious website
does Arch disable these controls in the kernel? I've never heard of someone failing to use konqueror because of this
>>
>troonix
>debugger that's just works
Pick one
>>
>>100138092
dunno you would have to check with
>cat /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
to see what is it set to by default
also what exactly is konqueror? I'm only finding the kde shit
>>
>>100137960
They are not wrong. It's impossible to design a proper anticheat for Linux, because anticheat design and Linux design are fundamentally in conflict. You could run an entirely custom kernel and access everything you want.

In fact PC in general has the same problem, they're only okay with this because they won't have anyone to sell multiplayer games to if they ditch PC. And this fact is exploited (cheating with DMA cards is the most reliable way to circumvent anticheats).

The only reliable way to eliminate cheating is to create a hardware root of trust from the inputs to the screen, and turning it into an appliance. There's already one, it's called a gaming console.

Although even then people will cheat by hijacking inputs and outputs and feeding them into a bot. In fact they already do it that way, it's just not popular because all non-casual players are on PC and there are easier ways to cheat when you (more or less) own your platform.
>>
>>100138096
>CE
>just works
lel
>>
>>100138041
The game is fine and I like it, it just has slow animations and no proper way to skip time when needed
>>
>>100138147
>Linux stops you from playing multiplayer garbage
WTF I love this shit more and more everyday.
>>
You can literally read and edit the entire address space of any process you want via standard linux tools and procfs.

>>100138147
Based. Anticheating is just malware. It's designed to own your computer. The bitter pill people need to swallow is cheating is just an exercise in our computer freedom. It's just values in memory, of course we can edit them if we want to, these corps need to suck it up and like it.
>>
File: gnome stare.jpg (169 KB, 1200x630)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>100137807
>Doesn't have his personal tech /g/nome to develop whatever software he wishes
>>
>>100138199
>The bitter pill people need to swallow is cheating is just an exercise in our computer freedom.
Literally just bring back community servers so people can handle the problem themselves. The obsession with matchmaking and "curated" experiences is what made online gaming unfun to begin with.
>>
>>100137807
Wine.
>>
>>100138273
AFAIK wine can't run it properly, and CE's kernel part is out of question entirely of course
>>
>>100138127
>>cat /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
mine is set to 1
meant gameconqueror, I'm on KDE so I assumed it was konqueror lol
anyways its exactly what cheat engine is, an application that lets you poke into the memory of other processes and modify them (like games)
>>
I'm trying to run cheat engine on heroic games launcher to get it to run on the same prefix as the game. Not working
>>
Got it to work! If anyone wants a tutorial, lemme know
>>
OP here. Nevermind. I solved it.
>>
>>100138297
I use Cheat Engine in wine regularly, it works fine. Dunno about its debugging shit though, but the memory inspection and value editing works fine
>>
>>100138396
>meant gameconqueror, I'm on KDE so I assumed it was konqueror lol
How the fuck do you confuse the two? Do you mistake Apple the company with apple the fruit?
>>
>>100137807
You can still use cheat engine by using protonhax
>>
>>100139179
i want a tutorial, thank you in advance
>>
lol @ these skids, you can just write your own kernel driver dumbfucks. And you can read and modify any memory location in userland. What the FUCK is actually wrong with zoomers. Disgusting dysgenic mutts
>>
>>100141035
>Do you mistake Apple the company with apple the fruit?
macfags are fruits so that's not unreasonable
>>
>>100137807
If you need cheat engine for linux, you're bad at linux.

This is a seriously important observation. Linux used to be for intelligent people. Now you want it to cater to people like... you. Low-intellect, low-capability "just make it work for me" pajeet riffraff.
>>
File: vmf9qnz7nx5p9grz.gif (1.36 MB, 833x500)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB GIF
>>100137807
Because it already works, you just run the native linux builds of the cheateingine server then emulate the GUI in wine and connect to the server through it, and it works perfectly. It only takes a few minutes to install. It runs perfectly with no issues whatsoever.
>>inb4 wine, bottles, CEserver
You were right. So use it nigger
The fact that this thread has 30+ replies already and ctrl+f server has no results is looking grim
>>
>>100137807
https://github.com/korcankaraokcu/PINCE?tab=readme-ov-file
>>
>>100137807
>cheat engine
What's the point of cheating on video games? What's the point to even play then?
>>
>>100141873
NTA but CE is useful for a lot more than game hacking. It's utterly deranged in how powerful it is.
>>
>>100141904
What else can it do? I only used it once back when gta sa was latest gta
>>
>>100141981
Anything you'd do with a debugger anyways
>look and see what's happening on the stack inside your software while it's running
>unlock free trial shitware
>find static offsets for shit that you can open in a disassembler
All obscenely easily compared to any other tool in existence
>>
>>100141692
Now load a .ct CE table
>>
>>100141422
Load .ct table
>>
>>100142471
Show me a .ct table that was designed to work with a linux process
>>
>>100142485
no because i don't know any
>>
>>100142515
Ok. The software still works perfectly
>>
File: file.png (161 KB, 494x402)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>100142519
>>
>>100137844
Any post after this is just pointless.
>>
>>100137807
how about instead of cheating you git gud
>Verification not required.
>>
>>100138396
.SH KNOWN ISSUES

.B scanmem
usually requires root privileges for
.BR ptrace (2)
because security modules control ptrace() capabilities. On x86 and x86_64 there is usually
the
.B Yama
security module providing the file
.IR /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope "."
It is available since Linux 3.4. If this file contains "1", then only parents may ptrace()
their children without root privileges. This means that
.B scanmem
would have to run the game. This is not possible as this would require major design
changes. So we run
.B scanmem
as root.

so you are running it via root.
>>
>>100142979
>hurr durr ackshually it doesn't work on linux
>oh wait it does work but you're root
stop posting retard
>>
>>100137807
Never heard of that tbqh
>>
>>100141692
anything like that for ppsspp? I always wanted to copy that one game from the psp but never succeeded. Ghidra psp core doesn't work as well I guess I will have the AI try its 1000 monkey bullshit and somehow it will figure it out...
>>
>>100142436
Give me one. Has to be Linux compatible.
>>
>>100137844
fpbp.
>>
>>100137875
all of these are tunable.
>>
>>100137807
https://crumblingstatue.github.io/hexerator-book/
not as poweful as cheat engine perhaps but it's still pretty good
>>
>>100138092
cat /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

if it's 0, you're fine.
if it's 3, you can't ptrace anything (unless you're literally the kernel [hacked])
if it's 2, only root or CAP_SYS_ADMIN can
if it's 1, it's some prctl, child process or some shit autism.
>>
>>100141873
it was always fun to dick around with cheats after you beat the game, i kinda miss cheat codes. big heads, spawn tanks, what had you.
>>
>>100138058
just edit the binary directly
that's how the no black bars garbage and fps unlock works for elden shit.
>>
>>100137807
Why would you cheat?
If you want to be creative just modify the game but cheating kind of defeats the point of playing the game.
t. life long Linux user and gamer
>>
>>100138396
set it to 0.
1 is a meme. If you're fucking with processes with UID of (You), you can already manipulate them anyhow.
really it's only useful to prevent security vulnerabilities when your web server gets hacked because you're Cnile garbage has trivial stack overflow.
>>
>>100143514
>t. dunning kruger incarnate
>>
>>100143530
t. retard who doesn't threat model.
what "threat" do you stop with ptrace policy set to anything other than 0?
I'll wait.
>>
>>100143514
Why the fuck are you running other things as the web server user?
>>100143530
That's not how Dunning Kruger works.
>>
>>100143765
>Why the fuck are you running other things as the web server user?
CGI
also what I said isn't even a crazy thought. some cnile / BSD cucks literally shill it like it's real.

https://learnbchs.org/
>>
>>100137807
Cheaters are (man)children who can't handle losing at an online game sometime, this is the total opposite of a Linux user. If you want to ruin other's games, stick to your cracked Windows.
>>
>>100143530
by stack overflow, I mean writing past the stack in this case, not simply failing to alloc a new frame. sorry it wasn't clear. replace exploit with whatever flavor of memory use error you want.
>>
>>100141131
I used Heroic Games Launcher and set up the game and cheat engine to use the same prefixes and run them simultaneously. It is about timing–start CE first and immediately click to start the game, so they both run at the same time and NOT interrupt each other.
>>
I admit, I'm a newbie at Linux and I'm discovering how amazing it is the more you guys contribute and point the way, the more fascinated I am. Linux can do all these tunes right out of the box. I just don't know how to
>>
>>100141385
yeah, people like me actually touch grass and have regular lives where we are not cartoon watching, neckbearded faggots who piss and shit on ourselves all day, everyday. fuck of loser
>>
>>100144331
unbased and cringe. >>>/v/ is that way faggot.
>>
>>100143787
Literally no online game with the slightest hint of anti-cheat is vulnerable to Cheat Engine. CE isn't scriptkiddie software, it does nothing to hide its presence.

It's for singleplayer games.
>>
>>100143654
Reading private key from other process's memory.
>>
>>100145576
>>
I have 6.3 is it safe?
>>
>>100145571
>be me
>have UID of service
>read secrets from wherever service stores them
ok, what's your point idiot?
>b-but the secrets or ephemeral in the process!
>modify process to do what I want
>run it as (Me)
simple as.
>>
>>100144939
Wrong.
t. have witnessed cheat engine being used for all sorts of things in WoW, from crashing servers to effectively oneshotting raid bosses.
>>
>>100144939
use CE to grab shit like offsets, make ESP wallhax and sell for ez $$$$$
>>
>i can't win
>i must insert bits
faggots
>>
>>100145606
>stores
Who said anything about storage?
>>
>>100138241
The real vermin that killed community servers was fucking rankeds. The only reason curated matchmaking exists is because of rankeds because otherwise you could cheat your rank easily.
>>
>>100141178
and offsets are revealed to you in a dream
>>
>>100137886
If you're boring, you just give yourself God mod in single player games.
Otherwise, you can use it for QOL like increasing the speed of animations in turn based games, bypass cash shops, create unbeatable custom maps to grief people, etc.
>>
>>100137807
sudo pacman -S gameconqueror
you're welcome
>>
>>100146479
can't load cheat tables
>>
>>100148004
make your own?...
>>
>>100148011
no
>>
>>100148016
then if you can't make your own tables, you'll have to make your own program that can load CE tables, I'm afraid
>>
>>100148043
no i won't when the work has already been done that's insane.

it's much simpler to make cheat engine work through hackery that finally loads .ct tables
>>
>>100139403
Speedhack does not work in wine
>>
>>100142041
this. also has some powerful features for finding the specific procedure you're looking for
basically it places a breakpoint on anything executable, then lets you narrow down the (initially HUGE) list by telling it whether the procedure in question was or wasn't executed by the process since the last time you pressed a button.
I once modded a single player game where you'd be respawned if you ventured too far into the seemingly open world map - using this CE feature I was able to locate the respawn routine and NOP the shit out of it, which allowed me to explore the map freely
>>
>>100143466
I got 1, what's that mean?
>>
>>100137807
>>100138297
It has 100% compatibility with WINE.
>>
>>100149463
running it isn't the problem. the problem is finding the processes running on the same prefix.
>>
>>100137807
>How the fuck is it that after all these years, cheat engine has never been forked for Linux?
It's not free software, you can't do that.
>>
File: WINE-logo.svg.png (229 KB, 1200x1898)
229 KB
229 KB PNG
>>100137807
works for me
>>
>>100148081
I don’t think I’d ever tried it. From what I remember it works by hooking calls to NTs various counters that games use to determine the delta between frames, so I can see why it might not work correctly. Taking a look online it seems to be pretty hit and miss whether it works or not, depends on both WINE version and cheat engine version
>>
>>100143514
>stack overflow
>>100143832
do you actually mean a stack overflow or stack smashing?
>writing past the stack
like writing past the stack frame into the return address? because stack canaries have existed for a while anon. Or do you mean trying to write past the maximum stack size? because the kernel can simply just not let you do that. Besides that there's w^x and aslr

>whatever flavor of memory use error you want
are you one of those people that thinks overrunning a buffer just automatically equals instant ACE? it hasn't been like that for at least 30 years, probably longer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.