[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713851445225.jpg (284 KB, 1312x914)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
Do you agree that we need to hold back on developing these overpowered CPUs/GPUs and focus on improving energy efficiency?

https://www.techradar.com/computing/its-time-for-amd-intel-and-nvidia-to-call-a-truce-on-the-performance-arms-race-and-focus-on-sustainability-and-efficiency

>For consumers who are barely tapping into the performance that an Nvidia RTX 4080 Super brings to the table, much less what an RTX 4090 or AMD RX 7900 offers, you have to ask if this kind of performance is worth the cost in terms of carbon emissions.

>And of course, this is only in terms of useful work, like video editing or gaming, and not for something like cryptocurrency mining, which has at best a marginal social utility, and whose cost in terms of energy usage in the aggregate far outstrips any practical benefit cryptocurrency has (unless you're really into criminal activity or need to launder some money).

>Regular old processors aren't immune either, with the current generation of Intel processors soaking up an extraordinary amount of energy. What you get for that energy draw is some incredible performance numbers, but for 97-98% of users, this kind of performance is absolutely unnecessary, even if users are using the appropriate processor for their needs.

>As hard as it may be to hear or accept, these three chipmakers must acknowledge that we don't have a performance problem, we have a sustainability problem. They should turn away from squeezing even more performance out of their hardware that we don't need, and give us the efficiency that is desperately needed, especially when these marginal increases in power are coming at far too high a cost.

>Some power users and enthusiasts might not like seeing decreasing power usage while maintaining roughly the same level of performance gen-on-gen, or slightly better performance but far less than with previous generations, but it's what needs to be done, and the sooner everyone acknowledges this and adapts, the better.
>>
This is the pretext the regime is going to use to effectively outlaw general purpose computing devices like PCs btw.

Only walled garden phones and tablets and consoleslop for you, anon! Why do you need a computer? What are you, some kind of incel pedophile?
>>
>>100140328
Can full function of AutoCAD/Premier Pro run on phone?
>>
>>100140305
These people could more easily reduce their carbon emissions by committing suicide.
>>
>>100140305
>Do you agree that we need to hold back on developing these overpowered CPUs/GPUs and focus on improving energy efficiency?
No. Fuck off.
>>
>>100140341
Businesses will be able to get an exemption from the new sustainability laws if they apply for a special license, of course. We're talking about home use. You don't need a powerful PC at home, citizen. You'd probably just break the law with it.
>>
>>100140352
/thread
>>
>>100140305
I think if they were to focus on efficiency rather than just cranking up the clock speed and making everything bigger, they could probably increase performance and decrease power draw.
>>
They dont want you to have high end gear for A.I production at home
>>
>>100140305
Then don't buy a GPU above RTX 4070S/RX 7900gre.
Is John Loeffler a spendthrift?
>>
>>100140305
if codelets stop producing dog shit slow software, maybe.
>>
>>100140366
most people don't, PCs are like firearms, if you want to go to the range you can, but you don't need one at home
>>
File: 1712023273870608.jpg (679 KB, 999x688)
679 KB
679 KB JPG
>>100140305
>get higher performance
>power consuption is generally less
>"hurr durr we need efficiency"
I don't get it, are they advocating for less powerful stuff in exchange of less power consumption? How they know i don't need all that power? i have virtualization stuff to do.

Also, who the fuck cares about the majority of people, they buy dumbphones and laptops anyway. Hardly anyone need le epic super gaming pc.
>>
I'm fine with this and actually welcome it if it forces developers to focus on optimizing their software. Right now, the growth of software bloat are outfacing hardware growth
>>
Nice, more low spec trash for the landfill.
>>
>>100140305
>useful work, like video editing or gaming
/g/ btfo
>>
To be honest, they do have a point. Intel is especially bad these days with automatically over clocking so hard that they can pump 100w extra for just a marginal increase in speed.
>>
>>100140478
good goy
>>
We need to do more than improve energy efficiency. We need to go back to 90s technology so people can learn how to program again.
>>
>>100140305
literally just fucking underclock and undervolt if you want effiiency
those niggers don't use computers
>>
>>100140305
This is just greenwashing market collision btw.
>>
not really, no

The 4090 for instance is one of the most efficient graphics cards ever made, losing only marginally to other cards in the same 4000 lineup.
>>
>>100140305
Two of them would habe their cpus be kicked out of the glorious cpc empire.
>>
>>100140305
Well it would be nice if there was an actual cap to performance for a while and Unreal, unity, and game devs were forced to optimize their shit.
And they could make a significant incentive to buy new cards over old cards anyway by just adding more VRAM.
And intel would appreciate the chance to catch up (AMD isn't actually trying to compete), which is why they won't stop pushing it.
But also >>100140352
>>
>>100140305
fuck that, give me a machine that can run LLMs at a decent quant
it would be far greener to deport all the brown people from the west
>>
>>100140341
With SAAS/HAAS and Licensing™? Hell yes.
>>
Energy efficiency is already a focus for laptops that require long battery life.
I don't believe limiting electricity usage is as important as green energy infrastructure.
>>
File: power_consumption.png (595 KB, 2265x1244)
595 KB
595 KB PNG
>>100140305
threadly reminder
>>
Carbon emissions are our least serious threat in the grand scheme of human overpopulation.

>Oh no, muh coastal cities.
>Oh no, all the biological systems we've been destroying with overexploitation are becoming slightly less reliable due to climate changes.

It's always been, and always will be an overpopulation issue, despite how many corporo-liberal cope articles they pump out gaslighting us into believing "it's a consumption/distribution/equity issue". Wake tf up ppl don't eat their slop
>>
>carbon emissions
its just the fucking global warming psyop bullshit, nothing to do with any benefits for us. fuck em. buy more (used) 4090s and drive up your electric bills, i don't care.
>>
>>100140305
>30 years pass
>transistors still leak half the energy goinf through them
>>
They should make GPUs that are just for gaming like back in the days.
I don't need your tensor cores or your cuda shit.
AI bros need to get your own shit.
>>
>>100140305
I couldn't care less about carbon emissions of power, but heat is the thing here. A modern GPU alone consumes more power, and produces more heat, than an entire computer did 10 years ago. Why aren't we seeing super efficient 125w GPUs around anymore? Will I have to resort to undervolting, underclocking and power-limiting expensive silicon I'll never get to enjoy to it's fullest because companies think everyone has solar power and lives in climates where ambient temperatures never get above 20ºC?
>>
>>100140341
It most likely can if you remove all the crud and bloat.
>>
>>100143521
>carbon emissions of power
or power*

>>100143503
This, give me a 125w single slot rasterization only GPU, with no garbage gaytracing, cuda, rocm or tensor shit.
>>
>>100140305
No. We should focus on safe and correct atomics and constant time semantics.
>>
>>100140422
Also this. It's basically a retarded question by a journalist.
>>
>>100141501
I wish retards like you would be banned.
>Hurr just induce voltage glitches to your hardware.
Fucking retard.
>Inb4, b-but it's heckin stable based on my extremely poor testing methodology.
>>
>>100140305
Who are we
>>
>>100143589
Anonymous
>>
>>100140341
Yes and they can't wait to force you to move your subscription plan to phones
>>
File: 1704709604105374.jpg (178 KB, 749x936)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
The issue isn't AMD vs Intel vs Nvidia. It's American chip makers vs foreign chip makers. This sort of narrative is almost certainly funded by China/Russia as a campaign to slow America's dominance of chips. Any sort of propaganda in the form of
>No no we have to do a WORSE job and inhibit innovation and damage the economy because of today's abstract boogeyman X
is foreign social engineering.

No I don't like technical accelerationism and think we'd be better off returning to monke. But the fact of the matter is that foreign rivalries will necessitate technological accelerationism, forever.
>>
>>100140341
It can if you run it in The Cloud™
>>
>>100140305
Death cult communists needs to be killed. They are purposely trying to hold back on tech progress.
>>
>>100140305
We need to develop over powered CPU/GPUs that are also energy efficient
>>
>>100140305
Kek if these garbage GPUs we're getting nowadays are the result of "performance arms race", imagine what we'd get otherwise.
>>
>>100140305
I thought electricity was clean
>>
>>100143427
>include ryzen 5 3600 in left graph
>don't include it in energy use or full system power consumption
rly mks u dnk
>>
>>100140305
Maybe if dogshit developers started making optimized software instead of every game being made in Unity, every desktop app in Electron and every website loading 30 MB of JavaShit for no good reason then we maybe wouldn't have this arms race and factory overclocked CPUs
>>
File: 1706848026112183.png (845 KB, 959x946)
845 KB
845 KB PNG
Isn't that just an issue with x86 architecture in general? It's always seemed horribly inefficient
Or at least doesn't do well when underpowered
>>
>>100140305
>loeffler
>>
>>100140305
>intel focus on sustainability and efficiency

lol
>>
>>100140305
>no no, we’re doing this because of the climate. It’s not that we CAN’T make a faster processor or that Moore’s Law is dead, it’s that it would be bad so we aren’t going to
>>
>>100140305
They're only "limiting the arms race" because the arms in question are empowering the common people and thereby threatening the status quo.
>>
File: 1713049469978191.gif (722 KB, 280x290)
722 KB
722 KB GIF
>>100140305
Get ready to go from:
>You don't need this much performance, goy. You need to think about carbon emissions.
To:
>You don't need a PC, goy. You need to think about carbon emissions.
And then:
>Why don't you want to stop using your personal computer, goy? Do you have something to hide?
>>
>>100140305
Improving energy efficiency is closely related to improving performances.

There are already good lines of efficient CPU/GPUs.
Certainly some tryhard products like 4090 are overkill, but you can just like not buy them.

Modern laptops have more powerful and efficient CPUs than my desktop i7 4790K, which still does a great job with everythin I need it for, so I think we're in a good place right now.
>>
>>100146962
Yup, its the same thing.

>>100144868
/thread.
It's all up to software developers. If they didnt write bloat 90% of people would use <1W CPUs now. Although unity and electron isnt the main culprit, OSes, browsers and JS frameworks are much worse
>>
>>100140305
>in terms of carbon emmision
No
>software efficiency
Yes
>>
>>100140305
>gaming
>useful
Pick one
>>
File: 1482864291004.png (65 KB, 895x909)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
Good

Go to hell you Westoids
>>
>>100147050
I spent my childhood doing dumb shit like destroying public properties and infrastructure just to kill time. (and I was clever enough not to get caught)
If I was not busy playing vidya right now, I'd still be destroying shit. And there's no shortage of dumb fuck like me in this world.
Everything is not perfect in this world. But people like me could have been making things way -way- worse if we were not sedated.

Be grateful for vidya.
>>
File: 1703982981868502.png (38 KB, 500x530)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>100140305
blame AMD. your PC is at idle far more than under load.
>>
>>100140305
I do, but seeing an article like this makes me not want it. I want efficiency gains so that my daily driven programs run better, not for the environment, I think making it an environmental issue will just lead to needless restrictions.
>>
It's all about software.

CPUs get 10-20% faster every year, software gets 10-30% slower every year. Stop software from getting slower (Dont even need to improve the very slow software we use today) and we can reduce the energy used by computers by 80% in 10 years.

If we could make software just a little bit less bloated, say by 10% for 5 years, go back to 2019 levels of bloat... We could reduce power used by computers by 80% in just 7 years.

buying a new device also uses about as much energy as using the device will during it's current life-time. By stopping the slowdown, people can use the same device indefinitely until it's physically worn out, massively reducing "ewaste", emissions and energy used.

What the chipmakers do doesn't matter. What matters is what developers, especially OS, browser and social media does. Youtube is an example, they push new codecs to save a few cents in bandwidth, but they end up using 10x more power on devices that don't have hardware decoding, and end up being too slow. They should have to serve h264 or x265 in all resolutions to those that don't have hardware decode for newer codecs. What happens for a normie when their old phone or laptop gets 100% CPU load and is lagging on youtube? They will buy a new one.
>>
File: 1694739647112183.jpg (110 KB, 819x1024)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>100140305
>yes goy
>us big tech companies should all work together
>no goy
>its not collusion
>that would be illegal
>we are just "calling a truce" LOL
>so we can all slash our R&D budgets
>and deliver a shittyer product
>while charging more
>because it will save the environment or whatever
>what's that?
>sounds like collusion?
>well you sound like anti-semitism
>better watch your tone goy
>what?!!!!
>did you just say what I think you said?
>this is just a dirty jewish trick?
>jews in the media wrote this?
>and Americas ZOG government is playing along?
>because Intel is a jewish company?
>and they are getting BTFO by the chinks?
>and can't compete on a level playing field?
>wow you are a straight up NAZI!
>thats it
>6 million for your next computer for that little comment
>still think its funny?
>yeh didn't think so
>>
File: itis.png (260 KB, 443x441)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
>>100140305
>you agree that we need to hold back on developing these overpowered CPUs/GPUs and focus on improving energy efficiency?
we will summon AGI with overpowered GPUs, then it will make them energy efficient

this is the way
>>
File: 1707361056884569.png (208 KB, 680x633)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
>>100140305
>we don't NEED this much power
>>
Why is it their fault that the energy grid doesn't use cleaner sources? It's not like my GPU is shitting out methane when I use it.
>>
Do you have central heating and climate control. Also, how much do you f'ing game to make such impact. All the energy that goes into a computer is in the end, turned to heat, reducing the workload of central heater.

If you're living in a cold area, you can literally turn the climate control off and have enough computers doing computer stuff to heat your house

>>100143577
You know, there is an option in bios to completely turn off any number of cores.
>>
>>100147250
fully agree but i think mass media codecs are a bad example, bandwidth and CDN capacity cost energy too
>>
By 2045, the sale of personal computers and computer components will be fully outlawed in all Commonwealth countries and several US states. In 2050, individual ownership of PCs without a prohibitively expensive license will be completely illegal.
There will be collection centers where people can drop off their old PCs "for free". If you're lucky, some collection centers will give you a treat like a donut for turning in your PC, or things like store credit or coupons.
Your nieces and nephews will happen upon the 2 or 3 PCs you have hidden away in your house and urge you to turn them in, in order to " save the environment".
Your wrist-embedded Omniphone (FEDPhone in the US) will be all you need for your daily computing needs. It is always connected to the Internet and can never be disconnected, for your safety.
>>
By the logic, you should be sabotaging the fagman and Chinese equalvant, and any website with more servers than traffic.
Not only are they corrupting young minds, but also using electricity and brainwashing you to coonsume while at it
Also it's your personal choice to play games with high hardware demand. Go play nes or something on an arm9

>>100143219
So true. Specially when even the hardware is more powerful than needed. Like ATM. An ESP32 can probably do it better with lower power requirement and better standby, faster wake from stand by.

But no, they wanna run an ancient power hog PC inside of them.

YouTube no longer works on old phones is greatest example of intentionally bad programming specially when paired up with advert servers to show ads that you literally ignore.
They say they can read my mind with algorithms but still slow me completely irrelevant adverts

>>100143577
Turn off extra cores then. There's option in bios for it.
>>
>>100140305
780M already exists

>similiar performance to rtx 2050
>unlimited vram
>lowest latency
>gobs of memory bandwidth with soldered lightning fast DDR5 6400+
>runs at 45w
>8C/16T
>thin and light, 2in1s

Nvidia has the 4050/4060 on laptops and is partnered with Intel basically. You either get a hair dryer that can game at 4k or a laptop that can game 1080p 60hz locked
>>
>>100140305
yes it would sure be nice if hardware manufacturers focused more on architecture than die shrinks
>>
>>100147811
firsthand experience on a cooler:

full throttle ultra settings never above 60's C on the APU
>in GTA5 (maxed advanced view distance everything maxed but MSAA disabled): 60FPS in the city and 45FPS in some rural areas. 40-45w stable.
> CS2 max settings CMAAx2 60hz locked never drops, smoke grenades to oblivion, looks great in motion.
>Crysis 2007 all very high settings dx10 64bit 60hz locked

I will get around to more benching but the 780M and 8845 kick ass in 3lb quiet laptops. I see some benches on the lower 28W TDP U's and they were like 10-15% behind
>>
>>100147836
Die shrink literally increases efficiency per transistor. Get the same chip in smaller process and it'll soak up less power.
>100143577
People need to know that you don't need to undervolt to get lower power consumption. You may simply set a ceiling for your clock speed.

Turn your computer on and open task manager, if your computer is idle, the clock speed will usually be a ghz or two even if it's 6ghz capable.

If you're so worried about global warming, simply grow more trees and lobby for nukepow
>>
Why is corporate greed a huge problem causer?

The gaming corporate can literally work together to create the ultimate power efficient universal gaming engine, kinda like how we have direct x as universal driver,but they won't.

They can work longer on a project to have better compression and efficient code, but they won't

They reduce graphics for shitbox and piss station, but can't do that for old PCs

They can lengthen the generation cycle of consoles and PC

SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE ARE PAYING THEM FOR IT.
>>
>>100140305
I obviously disagree on discouraging experimentation and advancement on highly performant processors but I could agree that they should be niche and not as relevant and commercially available. I could agree that the performance is good enough now and we should optimize on using less materials and energy. However I think it's more of a software problem; developers are not incentivized to optimize programs for CPU/GPU power use. Also, video editing and gaming are more popular than ever, so the author ends up looking insane for that crypto comment. Maybe the performance is good enough for those tasks though. Maybe we need better codecs and games with less complex graphics instead of demanding we have a supercomputer in every household to be part of consoomer society.
>>100140328
>incel pedophile
That's some crazy projection. You don't need big chips to groom kids on discord and share cp on telegram. What are you talking about.
>>
No. I will keep using my PC as a heater in the winter and burning diesel with no filter.
>>
>>100140305
No, we should make GPUs bigger every year until computers take up entire rooms again.
>>
>>100140305
This is what I've been wanting. GPUs are already way to fucking big and focusing on making them smaller would be much better. I'm not buying an entirely new case just to play new games.
>>
>>100140305
salty no-coiner detected
>>
>>100140305
lol. /g/ fell for the bait.

performance IS efficiency.
>>
>>100144498
America doesn't have any chipmakers.
>>
>>100140341
They ran on PCs from the late 90s
>>
>the white west has to stop improving technology and return to hunter-gatherer lifestyles so that bankers and international industrialists can delay facing the consequences of raping the planet in south america, africa and asia

How about we don't?
>>
>>100147250
I think you're quite right, too bad developers will never do this, the more power you give them, the lazier they seem to get.
>>
>>100140305
>arms race
lmao sounds like some amdfag begging nvidia to give amd time to catch up
>>
>>100140305
If they cared really about energy efficiency, they would have controlled immogration amd third world population.
Also niggers consume more energy so why allow them to exist.
>>
>>100143577
Not a problem on Intel, AMD is unstable trash
>>
I've never seen a reason to upgrade my GTX 280
>>
>>100140305
> John (He/Him) is the Components Editor here at TechRadar and he is also a gamer, activist, and Brooklyn College English alum currently living in Brooklyn, NY.

Sounds good. I say we do whatever he says.
>>
>>100140305
I don't give a fuck. I have C-states disabled on my CPU and P-states disabled on the GPU. Idles at 70W, but I know a few settings to disable p0 for both that will pull 600W at idle, not worthwhile though.
I'm playing video games and want the most FPS / lowest latency possible. I don't give a fuck about muh emissions when people like Taylor Swift are using 60 lifetimes worth of emissions yearly with her private jet. Or India / China are the largest polluters
>>
>>100140305
No, I don't agree - there's still a ton to work on, like 2d performance. They should have been focusing on improving 2d vector graphics a long time ago.
>>
>>100140305
actually, maybe programmers should stop assuming that people have powerful computers and stop making programs so fucking slow and bloated. or maybe some mechanism is needed ASAP to avoid making big programs run like shit.

>>100153764
>Or India / China are the largest polluters
the chinese are literally the worlds factory and they use less energy per capita than americans and most european countries:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/per-capita-energy-use
cope.
>>
>>100153806
>energy per capita
lol because most of them are poor, dummy
>>
>>100153820
yes, and?
they are also the ones producing the most electricity from solar energy...
the chinese are far more responsible than amerifatties.
>>
>>100153847
Because they're poor. dummy. Living in third world conditions isn't an accomplishment.
>>
>>100153820
>>100153858
you successfully shifted the topic...
1. do you know how energy intensive is to produce tangible shit for all the world to consume? industries are more energy intensive and far worse polluters than people in their homes. yet china still uses far less energy than western powers.
2. even if they are poor, so what? why does your fatass really need so much more energy than the average chinese person?
>>
This entire premise shows a lack of knowledge about a genuinely simple subject. Increasing performance and increasing efficiency are literally equivalent. Power consumption of new devices goes down for the same amount of compute regardless of whether there's hardware out there that has more compute as a whole. The actual issue here isn't that hardware is faster over time, the issue here is that software manufacturers keep coming up new slop that takes up more clock cycles. The onus for decreasing power consumption globally would be on software manufacturers, not the hardware manufacturers. Good fucking luck with that though, if anyone with power tried to tell them that they'd go ballistic, 'muh new features,' 'muh free market.'
>>
GPUs don't run on kerosene, I thought electric was good and desirable
>>
>>100153941
Living in third world conditions so you have no electricity at all and live off burning peat doesn't make you more responsible or efficient. Efficiency comes from having both a high standard of living and not wasting what energy you use.
>hurr durr i'll just go back to caveman times
is not responsible at all. If everyone did that most of the world would perish.
>>
>>100140328
Yes. This is literally the plan.
>>
>>100153967
you know you other countries use solar water heaters for heating, right? americans are just retarded and lazy and use electricity instead...
>>
>>100153958
if cars could run on solar then we'd be use that, but it's just not practical because people need to get places
but >I< don't give a shit about video games or AI, just my smartphone, so desktop hardware can go for all I care

that's the tl;dr. it's a sacrifice they're willing to make, on your behalf
>>
>>100153988
That's a viable option when most people live near the equator... but it has nothing to do with efficiency because such a climate is not an available input everywhere.
>>
>>100154016
>when most people live near the equator
that's completely wrong. solar water heaters even work in cloudy days. also, with reflectors you can get a lot more energy with the same device.
the china is one of the countries that have the most solar water heaters per capita, and they are not located near the equator.
for all the bragging about their own engineering and shit americans spread, you guys suck at doing things that don't allow jews to extract money from your population lmao
>>
>>100140305
Damn, it's electricity THAT expensive where the writer of the article lives?
>>
>>100143474
>>100140305
Can computers even emit carbon? They are not even organic life forms made of carbon
>>
>>100140305
They should call a truce and focus on removing mossad hardware backdoors.
>>
>>100140305
>Truce between competing companies
Sounds like collusion to me
>>
>>100154062
looking more into solar heaters, they're made artificially cheaper by governments. That's not efficiency.
>>
>>100140305
Smells like a commie faggot
>>
>>100154277
you can even DIY lmao
why are you americans always making up excuses when you feel offended? why are you so predictably mentally ill? are you so brainwashed that you act like a bunch of fucking drones?
>>
>>100140352
tpbp
>>
>>100154179
Computers require electricity, generating electricity causes emissions.
Of course, if these same hippie retards weren't so paranoid about nuclear power, it'd be a solved problem to begin with.
>>
>>100154422
Maybe people don't want shit that will break during the first hailstorm, maybe that shit is unreliable.
>>
>>100154448
Solars don't break in a hailstorm
>>
>>100154448
>maybe
you know you can read about them, find manual, info from experiments and shit online...
again, more excuses. all of this because you are in denial about the chinese being better than americans at managing energy. fucking lol
>>
>>100154443
> generating electricity causes emissions
How?? Almost all the energy in my country is made with hydraulic force, I've never seen a single piece of carbon being burnt for that
>>
>just get a solar water heater bro
>just get a heat pump bro
>just ruin your standard of living bro
"No."
>>
>>100154470
Except that's not being better at managing energy. Natural gas is waste energy, a byproduct of pumping oil. We used to just vent it into the atmosphere. Selling it so people can heat their homes is efficient use of resources. Installing unreliable and expensive solar heating is not.
>>
File: 1629084193654.jpg (50 KB, 611x583)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>100140305
>hold back on developing these overpowered CPUs/GPUs and focus on improving energy efficiency?
That's the most retarded question I've heard in a while. It's not or-or, they ARE becoming more and more energy efficient, that's like a fucking primary factor driving their progress. They CANNOT progress without improving energy efficiency because it's their main bottleneck.
>>
File: file.png (971 KB, 800x600)
971 KB
971 KB PNG
>>100154468
>>
>>100154499
>expensive solar heating
>>100154520
>only tube waters heaters exist
again.. why do americans feel insulted and defend themselves like this? is it anxiety, like a rabid response from all the sad brainwashing they have to go through?
>>
>>100154546
The truest test of efficiency is what people do when they are not forced to by manipulations. Every single country that uses solar heaters forces the price of alternatives higher or steals money from the taxpayer to subsidize their preferred system. That's forcing the less efficient option on people.
>>
>>100154565
>americans in charge of talking about manipulation by governments and stealing money from their citizens
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
un-fucking-believable.
have you tried reading a history book, you fucking nigger? your fucking governments literally manipulate the whole world for the benefit of a few jews lmao
>>
>>100154601
Right... which proves it's not efficient to aid jews. You just made my point.
>>
>>100140305
Yes
>>
>>100140305
i don't even know what to begin with
the entire thing is retarded

im going full kackzczinzky on them before complying to such bullshit btw
>>
>>100154610
>electricity and fracking companies are not jews I swear!
lol, lmao even
>>
>>100140305
i just want a 6gb 4050ti i can afford
>>
>>100154637
Jews love Solar Water heaters, 90% of homes have them in Israel. What now?
(hint: they have no oil)
>>
>>100154652
yeah, let's burn oil and nat gas obtained by fracking so that jews don't make money... amirite
there is one thing you american excel at: manipulating. just look at your own arguments in this conversation. you or some other anon was telling us how the chinese pollute a lot. now you are telling me that burning oil for electricity and heat is good because... it just is, ok?
fucking lol. you are brainwashed by jews and then you, as the good drone you are, try brainwashing and scamming other retards. kek, well done, faggot.
>>
Intel Core i9 450W stock edition when? Mandatory 360/420 AIO. Maybe replace the EPS12V socket with another 12VHPWR?
>>
>>100154689
I missed the part where transportation and industry run off heated water. The fact remains that oil is needed for so many things and as a byproduct of oil drilling, natural gas is created... so we use that natural gas for other useful purposes instead of just flaring it off into the atmosphere while performing zero work. This is a good thing.
>>
>>100154712
>moving the goalpost
as if PV panels and electric motors didn't exist and china wasn't lmao
try again, retard.
>>
>>100154790
>china wasn't
... the biggest producer AND user.
>>
>>100140478
Kill yourself subhuman
>>
>>100140305
if by
>sustainability and efficiency
you mean
>software that isn't the most stapled together unoptimized garbage on Earth
then I agree, the hardware can no longer baby the software, something has to give.
>>
>>100143462
Not really, go actually read the reports. Overpopulation is basically causing our carbon problems though. Too many chinks and jeets trying to live like 1950s Americans.
>>
>>100147943
>Die shrink literally increases efficiency per transistor
i know but you know what's even more efficient than using an efficient transistor? not using that transistor at all
there's a lot of gains to be had in simplifying hardware
>>
>>100154689
Incidentally, China is the 5th largest natural gas importer and that's talking about a shit-tier country. Once they start being more developed they'll easily become the largest importer.
>>
>>100154790
No goalpost was moved. We were talking about efficiency. It's far more efficient to use waste energy to perform work than to simply burn it. That's 0% efficiency.
>>
>>100154837
>there's a lot of gains to be had in simplifying hardware
Yeah? Like what.
>>
>>100140305
TLDR
I'm all for more efficient hardware but that doesn't mean we need to put on shackles to achieve it. You want to reduce e-waste? Purge the bloat. Make an OS that can run on mid 2000s hardware easily, it'll run on modern hardware better than anything we have these days. Make websites load in an instant and take less than 10MB of RAM. If you don't then you'll only make life hell by loading the bloated software and web on dreadfully slow "green" hardware.
>>
>>100154883
shit like this https://libre-soc.org/3d_gpu/architecture/tomasulo_transformation/
>>
>>100154947
And how does that compare in speed to current methods?
>>
>>100154875
>We were talking about efficiency
keep moving the goalposts, retard
>>
>>100154967
it doesn't?
>how does an electric engine compare to a diesel engine in speed
>>
I think what its really time for is for journos to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>100154991
>moves the goalposts from efficiency to jews
>no u
>>
>>100143474
Imagine being this much of a retarded nigger
>>
>>100144631
>t. Genetic abomination spiteful mutant
>>
We need more powerful computers so we can create AI god(s) to create real sustainable solutions and help depopulate humans.
>>
>>100154991
The point I am trying to demonstrate is that if someone is more efficient, but 20 times slower than it's current implementation then it doesn't matter how efficient it is since no one will adopt it.
>>
>>100151949
Wrong

Intel currently has 15 wafer fabrication facilities (fabs) in production across 10 locations worldwide [Intel manufacturing sites ON Intel exploreintel.com]. Here's a breakdown of the locations:

United States:
Aloha, Oregon
Hillsboro, Oregon (6 fabs)
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Chandler, Arizona (4 fabs)
Santa Clara, California

Zhaoxin is a fabless semiconductor company. This means they design the chips (CPUs in their case) but rely on other companies to actually manufacture them.
>>
>>100155065
Does America really have zero chip fabrication for AMD?
>>
They don't want consumers getting AI capable GPUs
We plebs will get the lower tier chips that can only do videogames and web browsing
>>
>>100140305
WE NEED SLOWER GPUS WITH LESS RAM __NOW__
>>
The justification is gay, but I do think a focus on performance per watt would be good instead of juicing these chips harder and harder each new generation.
>>
>>100154601
>Its teh jews!
You should stop going to /pol/ and get a job
>>
>>100147665
lol if you think it's going to wait until 2045. the overarching goal is 2030
>>
>>100140305
300w for a gpu is absolute max
dogshit pulling 400-800w even oc is insane
>>
>>100147665
>in order to " save the environment".
i'm much more scared it will be done to "curb (leftist) terrorism"
>>
>>100147630
>bandwidth and CDN capacity cost energy too
Yes they do, just a lot less. A laptop will go from using 5w to 30w CPU-decoding, the hardware needed for the extra bandwidth will probably be less than 1w.
They would also save money and energy by not having to store and transcode so many different formats.
>>
>>100147811
>>100147902
Is 780M a laptop model number, a cooler, or some AMD CPU model?
>>
>>100159983
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=37082718

You can just tell your operating system to use more of the RAM for vram on integrated graphics? Seriously?

I was tempted to buy an appleshit for its 128gb of unified memory so I could play with LLMs but if I can just change a simple configuration on an AMD laptop then that sounds cheaper. Am I missing something?
>>
>>100160122
I'm seeing some people say it's hard-capped to 16GB allocated VRAM on current gen Ryzen desktop APUs, so you need an Apple machine.
>>
>>100140305
No
Fuck Sustainability and Fuck Techradar
>>
>>100140305
Globohomo fags are brain-dead
>>
>>100154928
But how else will Mr shekelberg mine your data and make millions?
>>
>>100160261
Thanks anon
>>
>>100153806
Are you sure about that? Are you sure that China isn't lying just like how they lie about everything?
India? maybe? China? heck no
>>
>>100162244
Ask who is buying the goods.
>>
>>100140341
Probably if the developers tried.
Arm based socs are the future anyway, efficient risc processors will continue to advance whilst x86 stagnates.
>>
we need to fight jeet bloatcode that wastes 90% of cycles just running in circles, that'd save alot of energy
>>
>>100140305
Since we are getting to the point were efficiency is becoming a priority how about telling devs to stop bloating their code, also it is time to drop x86 in favor of risc-v.
>>
>>100140305
>doing something sensible
>when we could make less money

Are you some kind of Euro cucked commie?

What is wrong with you?
>>
>>100140328
This would be kinda pointless since there are tons of PCs lying on various scrap yards that can be restored to somewhat usable state. Needless to say that a lot of people have a few of those lying around in their basements. This is an issue for da jooz that simply cant be fixed. Not to mention that you will most likely be able to buy modern PC/SBC the same way you buy questionable goods currently.
>>
>>100140305
No, fuck word, fuck sustainability, fuck green, fuck efficiency
>>
>>100140305
But GPUs and powerful hardware only consumes lots of power when under load, so if you buy an RTX 4090 and the latest Ryzen just to check your emails and Facebook, you won't consume much more energy than an average PC.
>Regular old processors aren't immune either, with the current generation of Intel processors soaking up an extraordinary amount of energy
Because Intel is desperate to catch up to AMD. Blame them.
>>
>>100140328
>DA JOOOOOOOOOOZ
>>>/pol/ is that way, you're welcome.
No need to come back.
>>
>>100164623
Huh, he didn't mention jews, that's weird.
Anon, you don't happen to wear a kippah do you?
>>
>>100140305
If you were a real eco fanatic you'd be using solar power and thus the power efficiency of your CPU is basically nil.
>>
>>100165301
I have an intact foreskin, fear not.
That being said, I doubt you're engaging in good faith not just due to your lovely insinuation, but also due to your willful ignorance (inauthentic) of an obvious dogwhistle.
Consider growing up and engaging in fruitful discussions about technolofy instead of trolling.
>>
No. Fuck the environment.
Every single person born after 2000 deserves nothing but eternal suffering.
>>
>>100164021
>risc-v
kek, screw your meme
>>
>>100164623
Bizarre schizopost, why would I have meant jews when I said "the regime"?
>>
>>100154485
Your country is an oddity. Very few countries have majority renewables or hydro. Even hydro has its issues, the flooding of large areas of vegetation causes anaerobic decomposition of the plant matter, which releases methane, but it’s not a direct result of power generation and stops after a while.

Even then, countries that are primarily hydro or similar still have at least a few coal or gas powered plants for peak demand, or because the transmission infrastructure isn’t up to moving enough energy to power their capital from hydro dams or similar. The country I live in is also like 97% hydro, but the capital city has 3 or so gas and coal plants because they’re about as far from the hydro dams as you can get and have the largest population. There’s also an aluminium foundry that has its own dedicated coal power plant cause it sucks up too much power
>>
>>100159757
I deliberately upload everything to YouTube in ULRA/FFV1. Fuck you Google, store my 11 GB, 1minute MMD for all eternity. Kek.
>>
>>100164623
It’s over for Jews. /pol/ has done its job.
>>
>>100164623
meds
>>
>>100140305
no lol
>>
>>100140341
They will run it in the cloud for you. What are are a terrorist? what do you need that computing power for?
>>
>>100140305
>(unless you're really into criminal activity or need to launder some money).
God forbid you get to do what you want with your own money
>>
File: 1713724972420048.jpg (55 KB, 850x773)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>100140305

What a total climate cuck.
>>
performant CPU's save energy by doing less work in same amount of time albeit, clock speeds didn't increase for over a decade, eat a dick tranny
>>
They're going to put a cap on how powerful your PC can be, and then they're going to make every software so bloated it can't run locally anymore.
Nvidia, AMD, and Intel will 1,000% support this. When are you retards going to learn that Nvidia is your enemy just as much as the other brands are?
>>
>>100140305
>people must do "x"
>c-c-cause i say so!
modern "journalists" are a fucking joke.
>>
>>100140305
>carbon emissions
kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
yourseeeeeee
>>
>>100171355
>my knowledge of C++ will be more important than ever before
>>
>>100171379
Most people who are good at it would rather work for Nvidia for much higher pay and benefits.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying we (people who want their own local computer) have already lost because humanity is too stupid for its own good.
>>
>>100144498
It is for sure the chinese/russian thats only one whos gonna profit from this.

> I don't like technical accelerationism and think we'd be better off returning to monke
retarded. Anyone who actually this way is a fucking retarded. We need max technological acceleration stop trying to be some faggot amish retard.
>>
>>100171400
you'd have to be Google to get me to write C++ in soulless corporation setting
>>
>>100140305
Maybe if efficiency was more of a priority 4080s wouldn't go on fire as much.
>>
>>100147130
That was a driver issue almost a year ago and since been fixed. My 7900xtx idles at 7w with two monitors.
>>
>>100140305
They'll need to teach programmers how to actually program. And that's impossible.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.