[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Odd question but the one I have to ask - how "safe" it is to use social media nowadays?

By "safe" I mean the whole data collection and profile making, even when you don't provide info on your own, totally aware of the fact. Let me explain the problem. Since last few years, I constantly hit the wall of social media - I cannot play board/wargames because everyone uses solely Facebook to arrange meetings, I cannot show photos outside of /p/ because everyone insist on using FB/IG and don't want to visit my private site, people think I'm suspicious for not owning FB account and so on. I was not using it so far, I even tried making account few years ago but it was auto-blocked after few hours, probably because I used protonmail but it could be something else with IP (since I didn't post anything, only provided name, surname and phone number). I have spare (or two) Gmail addresses so I could try again but question is - assuming I would use separate Firefox profile, just for using FB, would it still collect more data than what I already would provide it (like few photos I'm content with losing but also combination of name, surname, face photo and phone number, which are however already present on LinkedIn)? Assuming I would use it "just" for said meeting arrangements and communication with models, completely avoiding posting on other places, commenting, etc - would it be "safe"? I once heard that only thing FB knows is what you tells it on your own but I want to know how true is that.
>>
Separate problem is related to mentioned automated anti-bot system. Few family members had similar problems with registration but they bypassed it by using phone application. But while I already know that Google knows about everything I do on my (Android) phone, it would mean combining this data with whatever FB would collect, both ways. Or I'm being too paranoid here?

I don't really like being "forced" to use social media but I might no longer have a choice. Please help me solve this problems. Thank you for any reply.
>>
>>100141609
I want a footjob from Yahoo
>>
>>100141609
>I cannot play board/wargames because everyone uses solely Facebook to arrange meetings
find better friends
>>
>>100141609
the wikipedia one is maybe the funniest out of these
this artist has clearly never edited wikipedia
it's full of smelly neckbeards, even worse than this shithole
>>
>>100141616
>>100141609
it doesn't matter. you should learn the difference between something being secure and something being safe
if facebook has a data breach, all of the logs they keep could go public. but if you only say normal things on facebook, there's absolutely no safety risk because they are going to learn that you said "hi, i'd like to join this meeting, can you dm me with the details?" and if the dm leaks they will get an expired discord invite or whatever these people use
you are avoiding your "dangerous stolen data" (in this case, the message that you will join someone's board/wargame meeting) being added to a pile with over 3 billion other people. even if the entire thing was leaked or sold as a plaintext file that ends up available on the internet, nobody would even find what you said except someone who knew you already sent the message and was searching for your username, in which case they already had seen the messages
>>
>>100141676
It's not about friends or lacking of - whole communities arrange games using only FB as medium. You can't waltz into local store and ask people for games anymore.

>>100141935
What you said sounds reasonable. However, I'm somewhat afraid of whole profiling thing. I'm talking here about combining info from different sources to form one, big, coherent profile that would later be used for analytical and advertising purposes. Like in this, kinda scary story, where father learned about his daughter teen pregnancy way before she did solely because algorithm analyzed her shopping list over few weeks, noticed pattern of avoiding products with strong smells, added few more info, came to conclusion that she got pregnant and started offering related products in "recommended" section. I run into "but you already use FB and give them all info!" arguments frequently over internet and honestly, don't want to become "a product". If I would connect my phone to potential FB account, Meta could get additional, massive info already collected by Google like emails (including shipping notifications and thus shopping history) and potentially create huge, detailed and continuously updated profile (minus bank info since I refuse to use bank application on phone). Or it already happened behind my back?

I know I sound pretty paranoid but I really need to sort these things out, which ones are reasonable fears and which ones exist only in my head.
>>
>>100141609
NAKADSHI Facebook and Diviantart
>>
I would fuck each one of them in the ass. Except for Anon
>>
>>100142192
>I'm talking here about combining info from different sources to form one, big, coherent profile that would later be used for analytical and advertising purposes.
I don't get what your hangup is.
If you were able to just use your existing Gmail to contact these groups, you wouldn't be having these second thoughts and the data would end up in the pile just the same. And frankly, you've obviously searched for groups and presumably general game info, maybe even bought a few products, so your interest in wargames is already well established.

You don't have to post your daily thoughts or upload vacation pics or get into political arguments, just use it to join the gaming groups you're interested in.
>>
>>100141609
you have quite some resilience for a normie - respect. For Facebook its safe to assume they only know what you tell it - assuming you sign out and clear cookies and all that. I got roped into using facebook for marketplace since people cant be bothered to use Craigslist, and so far I havent used it for anything but that. I wouldnt install the app though.

>>100141616
yeah antibot is annoying. They pester you for more info to 'prove youre not a bot'. I used to have instagram a few years ago until they shut down my account and asked me to take a photo of me holding a sign. Fuck that.

>>100142192
if you use google its already happening. But theres no reason to expose even more data. Every data point you withhold makes thier profiling weaker and weaker

also sexo with Twitter
>>
>>100143058
>I wouldnt install the app though.
NTA and I agree wholeheartedly, the app is said to collect everything it can from your phone while active. Rather obvious they want people to use the app since mobile browser Facebook is utterly atrocious AND is getting worse every time they change something.

Same goes with every major Social profile though, I think the only one salvageable is Instagram because they know normies don't know how to upload photof using a directory system, so everyone auotmatically rely on the app, hence no need to make the mobile browser experience frustrating.
>>
>>100143321
*Social network
>>
>>100141819
10 years ago was a different time
>>
>>100143036
Alright. Thanks for pointing things out.

>>100143058
This is the first time somebody called me "normie". As for cookies - I made separate Firefox profile in advance as part of preparations, since profiles keep cookies separate between each other it should be fine in this regard, plus Mozilla supported "Facebook container" add-on is supposed to restrict FB/IG as well.

As for anti-bot, I had worse - I sent them photo (never asked me for sign or anything) but after few hours, instead of unlocking, it asked me for phot of my ID card. This was outrageous, in my country your ID card, photos and scans of it are protected private data that only government and banking institutions can ask for and keep. You can easily take loan using ID card scan and more.

>>100143321
>said to collect everything it can from your phone while active

Got some info on that?
>>
>>100141665
I think twitter looks cute.
>>
>>100141609
Put up a personal site and talk to people IRL
Social media is a waste of time and some obese jewish woman will hold everything you put there against you in some new way you haven't figured out yet.
>>
>>100144452
I stayed reasons in my very first two posts, why you ignored these? I even said I have my own private site for hosting photo galleries and people still want IG/FB for contact instead.
>>
>>100141609
i don’t have FB. I don’t have IG. I literally do not use any popular social media. And i have a very quiet, and peaceful, life as a result of this. All my friends also don’t use, or have, social media. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
>people think i’m sus :((((
who the fuck cares. One day your FOMO will literally get you killed.
>>
>>100145028
>who cares

I care. People who interact with me care. People who likes me photos care, who want to share then forward, people who plays various board or wargames, potential employers and the list can go on.

I said I reached the wall where the alternative is to work and live completely alone and die as such.
>>
>>100141609
people actually use pinterest?
>>
>>100145301
My mother actually made account. I assume that painters and the like use then for references.
>>
>>100145028
Heh...you'll cowards don't even browse. Ironic for being attracted to a place like this. Face your fear quickly, so you can grow. If you don't browse and hate it that bad; then only think of why.

It's just algorithmically delivered slop; the worst dangers are coming from you, associating with what you can not stand. That's a personal problem. You know well enough already, how to not be a dumbass.

Really, the distaste of social media is a phase and, you know it. It is the night to the day, to the night again. One day the world will know and accept of this and then, everything will have to change again.
>>
>>100141609
>By "safe" I mean the whole data collection and profile making, even when you don't provide info on your own, totally aware of the fact.
its completely 11/10 they dont even need you to visit a social media site and sign up for anything to profile you.
>>
>>100145623
But how? FB inject cookies into every single site and track machine ID?
>>
>>100141609
OH SHIT. I look like "Bing", except I'm fat.
>>
>>100141609
mods are watching you all the time, they have a discord and they make of what you read and post
>mod 1: yo dude look at this faggot he went to /d/
>mod 2: LMAO
>>
>>100146639
I would feel sorry for the mods, if they would have to watch my /d/ adventures.
>>
>>100141609
I remember ERPing with cleverbot. I sacrificed millions for her. AI dungeon had me spilling my seed on another order of magnitude.
>>
>>100147321
Its a shame what they did to AI Dungeon. I had fun time with it too.
>>
>>100141609
They stopped making pininterest girls after 2015
>>
>>100148421
>Its a shame what they did to AI Dungeon
What did they do?
>>
>>100148892
Censored it, heavily. Even phrases AI would produce on its own would trigger warnings if it contained "wrong" words together, no matter what it would mean. For example, if it would generate something like "curiously, child began to play on this little dusty, 10 years old piano" because it contains "child" and "10 years old" in same sentence. Plus announced manually checking stories made and saved by users.
>>
>>100141665
I want a footjob from Yahoo CEO
>>
>>100149631
why cant these companies fucking die
>>
File: Jim_Lanzone.jpg (336 KB, 900x600)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>100150397
this guy?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.