[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: macbroswearesoback.jpg (778 KB, 2940x1912)
778 KB
778 KB JPG
I just bought a Macbook, what do I think of it?
>>
>discord app on dock
have some self respect
>>
>>100142903
I'm jellly, as I can't afford.
>>
>>100142903
Hallow, matey! How's the weather in Brisbane?
>>
>>100142903
>der 'cord
>visual studio
>docker
post neovagina
>>
that glossy ui, input to it and all user actions such as launching programs have a considerable latency compared to an arch troonix meme tiling wm setup where everything feels instantaneous.

i mean macos works ok, but it can feel about as sluggish as windows 11 and gnome, this kind of sluggishness seems to plague all corporate product modern gui cpp backed software.

also the resolution down-scaling is atrocious making text and icons look bold and blurry like a shitty jpeg on <4K display.
>>
>>100142903
>>
>>100143008
Brisbane is too hot but has lovely people
>>100142950
Sorry dearest tranny, I'll get to using this month's federated blockchain p2p encrypted messaging app of the week
>>100143014
the venn diagram between your average /g/ user and your average tranny is a full circle
>>100143021
this isn't my main system. i run arch with kde. this is just for out and about so i can ssh to my main and write code and compile.
>>
>>100142974
i'm a cctv security guard. pays better than average in my cunt (australia). easy job, can code and read whenever i want. i'm sorry that you live in a shithole anon
>>
>>100142903
You like the build quality, you don't like the OS
>>
>>100142903
In order to retain some sanity:
> use Brewfile and a flake.nix to manage your packages (mainly nix, Brewfile when nix doesn't handle something).
> Rectangle.app is a must (available on nix)
> have a defaults.sh in your dotfiles where you add every defaults write you set
> don't use apple apps, stick to cloud and cross-platform options
> setup gnu userland tools instead of bsd
> podman is preferred over docker
t. Pop OS user who stepped on and broke his Linux laptops so is using a work gifted Mac for now.
>>
>>100143094
>breaks if you open the screen too hard
Yep, nice build quality you got there.
>>
>>100143094
i'm quite enjoying the OS. again, this isn't my main so I'm not trying to do anything too serious. it's nice to have software and hardware designed for each other in such a tight-knit way.
>>
>>100143132
skill issue
>>
>>100143103
what is wrong with apple apps? what do you mean by apple apps? do you mean the default stuff + appstore, or the stuff you get with "command line developer tools" or whatever it was called
>>
>>100143189
My ThinkPad has a hinge that lets you open the screen at a 180-degree angle.
My MacBook would break if I did that.
>>
I'm gonna ride this x86 wave down.

After it passes, though, I don't know what to do. I KIND of want an M-series MacBook but a) I don't see the point of an MBP with how I use a MacBook and b) being STUCK with macOS on the thing kind of soils it.
>>
>>100142903
>what do I think of it?
>>
>>100143317
yes, tell me
>>
>>100143212
Aside from having to make an account to enter the app store (not gonna do it) the default apps have vendor lock in.

I use a cross platform mail client, notes app, etc.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.