[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1708099055631489.png (2.71 MB, 2251x3703)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB PNG
What are some programming languages that are less popular than the usual top (Java, C++, C#, Python, JS...) but still worth learning?
"Worth learning" in this context means something that either makes you a better programmer by giving you a new way of looking at things, or something that has some very good niche uses.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Erlang and OCaml
>>
File: sicp-kot.jpg (2.93 MB, 2448x3264)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
>LISP is worth learning for a different reason — the profound enlightenment experience you will have when you finally get it. That experience will make you a better programmer for the rest of your days, even if you never actually use LISP itself a lot. (You can get some beginning experience with LISP fairly easily by writing and modifying editing modes for the Emacs text editor, or Script-Fu plugins for the GIMP.)
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills1
>>
>I'm technically functional.
Literally how?
>>
File: man made horrors.jpg (243 KB, 1200x1730)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>100145837
>he doesn't know
>>
>>100145403
yeah, i'm not really into FP, but i found erlang to be super fun and wish i could find a job where i got to use it.

would also throw in ada as a neat language to try out.
>>
>>100145403
this image is the worst thing I've seen all year
baseddevs GET OUT
>>
>>100146208
why
>>
RTFM

https://archive.org/details/constructinglang0000kapl
>>
>>100145403
>either makes you a better programmer by giving you a new way of looking at things
idris or haskell
>>
>>100145403
I only program in SML and ASM(old school ones, like Z80, 6502, 68k). I don't have any interest in working in the industry and ASM and SML are the only languages I liked.
>>
>>100146397
Haskell does have some uses in finance iirc
>>
Go is relatively small right now but is growing steadily and has a variety of applications
>>
>>100147708
What I like about Go is that it just works
>>
>>100145403
Tranny Xitter pic
>>
>>100145403
I think Erlang / Elixir really gives you a different perspective about concurrency, and how you can build highly fault tolerant and distributed systems. Also, it exposes you to functional programming, while not being pure functional programming languages. Starting with Elixir is easier because its syntax is less terse, and it is capable of everything that Erlang can do.
>>
>>100147894
(cont.) What I do miss about them is static typing.
>>
>>100145820
Dumb down for me, why is it worth me going out of my way to learn lisp, practically, when I have heaps of shit I'm working on already? You make it sound like learning a new keyboard layout
>>
>>100147967
SICP is not a meme, it really is an eye opening book
Lisp itself is neat with the metaprogramming stuff and all I guess but you're not gonna get a job writing it
>>
>>100145403
I do everything in Clojure and its dialects, including desktop apps, mobile dev, bots and automation.

It's functional, but in a very different style than Haskell or OCaml because it's dynamically typed and relies heavily on interactive development.

I also love the syntax and the structural editing it enables.
>>
>>100145403
Forth for having the highest simplicity/power ratio.
Red/Rebol for homoiconicity w/o drowning in parens and/or having to quote every damn thing. And for doing DSLs better than Racket.
Uiua for being an array language with sane function composition.
>>
>>100145403
Pascal, Object-Pascal, ADA, Oberon. Nim
>>
>>100145403
Datapack
>>
>>100145403
Kill yourself NOW
>>
>>100148710
seethe
>>
>>100145403
Being a NEET and fucking with Agda pretending to be a mathematician for two months straight with little to no sleep was the second best experience in my life.
>>
>>100145403
>Lua
>I take things from here
only if "things" refers to code snippets, "here" to documentation and "take" means copy-paste
>>
>>100145403
Unironically Assembly is the most important esolang you could ever learn.
>>
>>100145403
nigger redditcore nigger
>>
>>100145403
Xojo if you want to do cross platform desktop apps. Native binaries, native controls, nice framework, and very easy to do Mac/Win/Linux GUI apps from a single code base. It's a lot cheaper than commercial Qt with a free IDE (i.e. you can play with it and debug, but you need a license to compile/distribute apps). I've used it for some contract jobs, internal business app type stuff, and it was great. The syntax is inherited from modern BASIC but that's easy to get used to, and it's single inheritance OOP with interfaces and the ability to make OS calls and calls to shared libraries. Kinda like VB.NET.

Their web version shows promise but needs work. I'm not quite sure as to the state of their mobile development other than they now support iOS and Android. If they can make cross-mobile apps as smooth as cross-desktop it will be a winner.

If you targeted all platforms with Xojo:
- Mac/Win/Linux would be one project.
- Web would be another project sharing code with desktop.
- Mobile would be another project sharing code with desktop.
>>
ADA if you wanna work on government contracts

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.