[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1698553501495791.webm (3.93 MB, 720x838)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
>used to be able to just pay one time and receive software and use it
>now have to pay a monthly fee to keep said services
i dont like this trend
at all
>>
Shit isn't it, from a one time purchase to a subscription service. I have a 2012 blue copy of Office that still works and I install on all my machines. Also when I was a kid, when I handed over £1.99 for a Mastertronic budget game of £20 for Elite for the ZX Spectrum, you got the full game. Now it's the base game, premium and a big fat cock editions which you have to pay more for to get the full content. Then there's the"season pass" for DLC. It's all a fucking joke. Now though, even when you buy the software, you don't own it. Ubisoft and The Crew debacle is the future.
>>
thank normaltards, they think it's better this way and i mean what's wrong with never owning anything and having to wagecuck 50 years?
>>
>>100145944
>Ubisoft and The Crew debacle
fraud
>>
It's fucking grim. I'll pay if it's a one-time fee.
I'll pirate a crack if possible if it's subscription based.
I'll never use your software if neither option is possible, FUCK YOU
>>
>>100145850
>trend

buddy, this has been the paradigm for a decade
>>
>>100147391
>he thinks trends are only a few months or years long
>>
>>100148931
imbecile
>>
>>100145850
couldn't agree more, it's mega scam
>>
>>100145850

https://once.com/
>>
>>100145850
Yeah, and then people wonder why more and more people are playing old games.
>>
Personally, I think it has something to do with bandwidth costs going up, as well as prices in general going up.
I hear non-stop complaining about games that cost 50 freedom credits being unfinished and buggy and so on and so forth. Yeah okay. But back in 1998, Resident Evil 2 debuted at 49.99. That was in 1998, and look at how much game there was. Even if you had never played Resident Evil, and were borderline retarded like me, it was still about 20 hours of gameplay total. Extreme Battle Mode can suck it because it sucked. But that was 50 dollah in 1998. That's almost 95 dollah in today's money. 20 hours of gameplay for 90 dollars. Can you imagine the outrage if a game like that released today?
What has been happening, I think, is that software developers have been working very hard to keep price points down, because generally speaking, software is a luxury commodity. It's not a necessity like food or electricity or fuel, so people are going to notice price hikes more. So they've been trying to keep prices close to familiar numbers, like 50 dollars. And as a result, their quality has gone down noticeably. Now, the quality is killing them, so they are ready to start hiking prices.
But, anon, you cry, there are great games that are releasing for 25-30 dollars! Yes, hypothetical anon, that's true. But those are coming from smaller, 2 -10 man studios - just like in the good old days. It's the large companies that don't understand going lean.
I'm not defending any of this, I'm simply putting my idea out there - that there is some understandable logic behind it.
I didn't proofread this, so it might actually be gibberish.
>>
>>100146017
>fraud
not in the US it isn't. read EULA's before accepting them you stupid fucking mutt, we wouldn't be trapped in this enshitification bubble if you did
>>
>>100151214
>enshitification
Aww, the NPC learned a new word!
>>
>>100151324
>ad hominem
>can't refute anything in post
we get it. you're brown and do not like to read.
>>
>>100151450
...said the unoriginal bugman.
>>
>>100149560
Okay, but will it render Excel spreadsheets and Access databases EXACTLY the same way Microsoft's stuff does? Will they have the easy to use automatic background fill that photoshop has? All the brushes and effects of Illustrator? functional DWG compatibility?

That's the problem. Every business that isn't a fresh startup has a giant pile of legacy data that just will not render correctly on competing software. That's why they're stuck paying. And if these guys relies on VC money they'll be stuck demanding subscriptions when the debt holders come to collect.
>>
i'm not renting shit, consider not being a nigger yourself
>>
>>100145850
i really dislike how HK faggots are using pepe. we need to return and make him shit on everyone.
>>
File: 00036-2476944874.png (2.7 MB, 1280x1920)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB PNG
You faggots are just like the gaymers. Inflation is driving up costs of absolutely everything, Obummercare also contributes, everything is getting more expensive, CEOs continuously demand more and more pay and that their wages be 10x everyone else in the company combined or more, and you expect software pricing rates to stagnante?
Absolute lunacy!
Subscriptions and micro transactions were coming from miles away.
Companies of all kinds have been doing asspulls and jumping through hoops to retain customers without their pricing changing too much.
Prices for a lot of software hasn't changed terribly, per se, a lot looks similar to the '90s and some has fallen in price (thanks to pajeets and what not), but just web search what x amount of 1998 dollars are in today's money to understand the situation better. Price haven't risen accordingly at all, companies are forced to find workarounds.
>>
>100152619
Wrong. Record profits over the past 3 years.
You may as well be a bot if you aren't one.
>>
>>100152619
yes, this. and piracy. harder to pirate saas shit so its way more profitible. there will be cope from random drones like >>100152665 who flips burgers from a living and goes on the internet to drop their opinions on how they think the global economy but this shit was bound to happen.
>>
>100152665
"record profits" and people getting laid off at the same time, right
you have no rebuttal
>>
>>100145850
Yeah it's fucking retarded. Especially when the software has no genuine reason being subscription
>>
>>100145850
Just make your own software
>>
I moved away from proprietary software as much as I could. I use FOSS both for personal purposes and at work. I still run Windows on my laptop but it's the last Windows install I will ever do. When I get a new machine or an external hard drive big enough to get all my files off of here I will simply migrate to Linux.
>>
>>100151214
>EULA says I can break your crust when I want
still not legal, even in a shithole like America. Contracts can be illegal and eulas can be wishful thinking
>>
>>100145850
I really really like this webm
>>
>>100153897
You and what army of lawyers are going to do something about it?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.