[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1700656705222489.png (313 KB, 608x580)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
The primary thing holding us back from good quality software? Employment
>>
>>100153823
Sure without any constraints they will be ever-expanding ever-perfecting pieces of software. But just like any building in real life you have very real limits as to what time and money you can spend on it, and you end up with barely-functional barely litigation avoiding pieces of shit
>>
>>100153823
Allowing non-Whites and women to participate. Once we connected them then it was all downhill. All of a sudden we had to worry about securing jewish capital, protecting people from scams, hearing stupid "opinions" and bad ideas, deal with girl bosses.
If IT had stayed White male only, we would have never gone down the road of shitty and pointless software.
>>
>>100155036
There was always a huge demand for cheaper software faster, it's our own greed that caused this
>>
>>100154956
>>100154956
>>100155036
i'm talking about how people who would be writing good code for good uses are instead blackmailed by capitalism into making adware for 600k/year and it being their whole life
>>
>>100155183
Same goes for all fields in life. Ever imagine just how much research and engineering that antiperspirant took?
>>
>>100155229
the only thing where that's the case with such a huge salary disparity is mathematicians and physicists going into finance

engineering is generally pretty even salaries across all fields, from healthcare to defense.

t. EE
>>
>>100155269
What's the difference though? They're all lured by pay to do subpar barely legal products
>>
>>100153823
Every single faggot linux dev should be forced to dual boot with Win7 maybe then they would understand what Linux is still missing.
>>
>>100155325
And what is it?
>>
File: 1713901457060.jpg (23 KB, 352x395)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>100153823
>>
File: Screenshot (218).png (33 KB, 567x516)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>100155366
This. Dubs of truth.
>>
>>100155325
this desu. why don't they literally just clone the windows DE as closely as possible without violating copyright? it's the simple solution. no need to reinvent the wheel. would be much easier, quicker, would work better, and would be more popular.

>>100153823
it does help to have copious amounts of free time but I think to get really good software, we moreso need a better framework. so many open source apps get built, but it needs to be sustainable to maintain and improve them. need money for that. even without a job and infinite time, it still won't scale if you can't grow your organization. just relying on donations/good samaritan contributors to fix all your shit is a meme and does not work. everything needs an incentive.
>>
>>100155572
>why don't they
Linux ecosystem is driven by people who do things for themselves and make it available. Nobody has been interested in doing that for themselves. Be the change you want to see.
>>
>>100155617
>Be the change you want to see.
but i don't care. I just use WSL on windows. what a waste of time it would be to make an entire new DE on Linux. who would pay for it?
>>
>>100155691
Well you just answered to your own question then, everybody probably thinks making a windows DE would be a waste of time.
>>
>>100155747
it really wouldn't be. KDE/Gnome/whoever has a perfect framework to follow already. they are getting paid. I'm not going to be a distro maintainer and max out at 20k/yr to make it but they could and save themselves some effort while also improving their DEs massively
>>
>>100155752
You're asking questions and then immediately answering them, so I don't know what to say. They're paid, but apparently so little that nobody would want to work on them. They've got time, but their hands are full of every other feature request out there. Also who's saying windows DE is superior? Last time I checked tabbed file explorer was the hottest new feature in them in 2023

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.