[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: qubes-os.png (51 KB, 1200x1290)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
is Qubes OS good? on one hand seems comfy to be able to easily run code in separated virtualized enviroments, i have to work in many projects and it's annoying setting up safe separated environments for each one so i don't mix it with my stuff. on the other hand Qubes OS seems to be full of women, pronouns, and trannies which makes it suspicious
>>
>>100156671
GrapheneOS when Android gets fully working desktop mode and VMs, will be just as good, but actually usable.
>>
File: asd.png (929 KB, 1920x1080)
929 KB
929 KB PNG
>>100156671
Yes, it's the best operating system there is. I've been using it daily for more than 4 years. There is nothing else that compares in security or even convenience for some things (like running multiple apps in isolated environments with different levels of network access and routing)
>Qubes OS seems to be full of women, pronouns, and trannies
This is a hallucination, that's simply not true. I would know.
P.S. Nobody on /g/ uses Qubes (I've posted qubes threads before and got no replies) so don't trust any reply after this one.
>>
>>100156726
i guess i will try it, i have a PC that is doing nothing might a well give it a whirl, i never liked how clunky is to isolate a random project that i want to try in normal Linux, you can do separated users, or docker, but clunky and not so secure
>>
>>100156671
i like to think so.
i havent made the change because i think that due to some QOL changes i would have to make, i would end up compromising something or making all the isolation redundant. something like a clipboard sharing.
>>100156726
could i import qemu/kvm hosts into qubes?
>>
>>100156858
>something like a clipboard sharing.
is there an safe alternative to this? like having 1 shared file, or similar?
>>
>>100156726
>straight up lies about the women and trannies and neglects to point out the founder is also a woman
>>
>>100156880
>the founder is also a woman
a vegan woman
>>
>>100156858
>something like clipboard sharing
Some QoL changes are needed but this isn't one of them. You can press ctrl+shift+c to copy to a global temporary buffer, then ctrl+shift+v to paste into another qube.
>could i import qemu/kvm hosts into qubes?
Not sure what you mean by hosts, but you can import guests, you just have to set them to a special mode
>>
>>100156858
>could i import qemu/kvm hosts into qubes?
Qubes uses Xen so no
>>
its fucking shit, the last 2 years were spent on shitty gui instead of architecture improvements, bloated garbage

Buy a thinkpad x230 and install heads. Write protect the flash chip. Put nail polish on the screws and take high resolution pictures to ensure signs of tampering. Do NOT use a HDD or SSD. They have DMA so a malicious firmware could do a lot of damage, use of USB is preferred since they do not have DMA. Completely remove the microphone, sound card, webcam and the WWAN card from the laptop. Remove the fan to prevent binary acoustic data transmission. Replace the default wifi card with a supported atheros card. Disable wifi when not in use, preferably by physically removing the card. Make your own independent Linux distro from scratch. Most Linux distros value convenience over security and will thus never have good security. Your only option is to make your own. Use musl instead of glibc, Libressl instead of openssl, sinit instead of systemd, oksh instead of bash, toybox instead of gnu coreutils to reduce attack surface. Enable as little kernel modules as possible. Use a hardened memory allocator. Apply strong SELinux and sandboxing policies. Restrict the root account heavily to make sure it never gets compromised. Disable JavaScript and CSS in your browser. Block all FAGMAN domains in your hosts file. Monitor all network requests. Do not use a phone. Never speak near anyone who owns a phone, they are always listening. Never use any non-corebooted technology made after 2006. Never leave your devices unattended. Tape triple layer aluminum foil all around your room as tempest shielding. Type really quietly as defense against audio keylogging. Use ecc ram to minimize rowhammer and rambleed. Encrypt everything multiple times with various different encryption implementations. Compile everything from source. Use hardened compilation flags. Always read through the source before installing something if possible. Only use the internet when absolutely necessary.
>>
>>100156941
What the fuck
>>
>>100156941
Based, I do all of this.
>>
>>100156941
>Buy a thinkpad x230 and install heads
what's heads?
>>
>>100156941
>its fucking shit, the last 2 years were spent on shitty gui instead of architecture improvements, bloated garbage
do you have to use a specific GUI on Qubes OS? can't you just use any window manager?
>>
>>100157009
github.com/linuxboot/heads
you are welcome and enjoy
>>
>>100157023
you can use any window manager
the gui i am talking about is one for qubes tools such as qubes-update-gui qubes-app-menu which someone got paid 10k to do and doesnt scale properly
>>
>>100156941
alpine linux does most of the distro things except libressl
>>
>>100157023
>do you have to use a specific GUI on Qubes OS?
The GUI lives in a custom Fedora install on an airgapped VM called dom0 that doesn't have access to network hardware, so it's not trivial to install a new WM
>>
>>100157040
>qubes-app-menu which someone got paid 10k to do and doesnt scale properly
tbf 10k is like 1 month of work for a decent engineer in the US, not enough time to finish a complex project
>>
>>100157042
thats wrong, also no personal selinux profiles etc

Distribution-compiled kernels also have public kernel pointers / symbols which are very useful for exploits. Compiling your own kernel will give you unique kernel symbols, which, along with kptr_restrict, dmesg_restrict and other hardening against kernel pointer leaks, will make it considerably harder for attackers to create exploits that rely on kernel pointer knowledge.

you should make your own distro to get the maximum, no package manager just pull when building iso
>>
>>100157059
>Compiling your own kernel will give you unique kernel symbols, which, along with kptr_restrict, dmesg_restrict and other hardening against kernel pointer leaks, will make it considerably harder for attackers to create exploits that rely on kernel pointer knowledge.
so Gentoo was right all along?
>>
>>100157055
>1 month
Maybe for a junior position lmao.
>>
>>100157055
the money was paid from qubes donations, for something thats worse than previous version
all the donated money should have gone to improving security and not shitty 1 panel with 10 buttons gui that should have taken 1 week to finish
>>
>>100157068
perhaps but designing distro from scratch is just more secure than any other distro because everything will be personalized hence you can allocate alot of thought to security
you just have to know what you are doing
>>
>>100157059
>dmesg_restrict and other hardening against kernel pointer leaks
>https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/plain/main/linux-lts/lts.x86_64.config
all packages are also compiled as PIE with stack smashing protection
>>
>>100157106
read first sentence in the post dummy
>all packages are also compiled as PIE with stack smashing protection
lol 2 compile flags enabled pathetic, you can do more than that yourself
>>
is there a middle ground?
running various users on a normal linux install and ssh -X / x2go / vnc etc into that user?
>>
>>100157158
chroot for each software project if you want isolated sysroot and toolchain
>>
>>100157129
i assume you dislike the lack of MAC, but otherwise openbsd ticks all your boxes
>>
>>100157192
i use my own distro, and i copied some ideas from openbsd i guess so theres that
waiting for hyperbolabsd to become real to steal more ideas
>>
>>100156880
>woman
yeah, totally a female >>100147762
>>
>>100157239
it's like 3 pixels in that video, i can't tell, doesn't the Qubes OS allegedly women founder do paid speeches? there should be video somewhere but i can't find it, so it's a 100% tranny project?
>>
>>100157275
That or her twin brother Jan died in a freak Windows 2000 rootkit accident and she decided to take up his cape as a security researcher. You decide which is more likely
>>
>>100157444
difficult to think a tranny not being a CIA plant, makes the security of the OS very suspicious
>>
>>100157527
it literally uses NSA redhat fedora linux in dom0 literally backdoored malware KEK
follow >>100156941 for uncensored security
>>
>>100157553
>it literally uses NSA redhat fedora linux in dom0 literally backdoored malware KEK
Snowden was also an operation from the CIA against the NSA and recommends it, very suspicious
>>
>>100157239
Are you sure that's the same person?
Just wondering.
>>
File: 1713481581390676.png (283 KB, 692x655)
283 KB
283 KB PNG
>>100157620
It's the same person, Jan and Joanna. It's a tranny.
>Joanna Rutkowska is a female security researcher who authored a controversial Blue Pill "100% undetectable" backdoor. She is enjoying genuine recognition for her technical contributions, but is also basking in the glory afforded by one of the very few female information security geeks out there. She even got a pink-themed fan-site. Unfortunately for fan-club members, her sex might be a more complext issue than previously thought.
>Until July 2003, a computer security researcher Jan Krzysztof Rutkowski used his school-provided e-mail account at Warsaw University of Technology (jkrutkowski@elka.pw.edu.pl) to publish various security materials on Windows kernel rootkit hiding and detection
See https://web.archive.org/web/20070208025303/http://www.rutkowska.yoyo.pl/
>>
>>100157704
seems confirmed and obvious
>>
File: 1713907196967584.png (1.1 MB, 743x800)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>100156941
Yeah I'm thinking based
>>
>>100157054
Installing an alternative WM is easy:

> $ sudo qubes-dom0-update i3 i3-settings-qubes

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/i3/
>>
The biggest usability issue with Qubes I've found is that many applications now depend on hw accelerated video and don't have great fallbacks. Firefox's Webrender compositor is way slower in software mode. It makes things like video playback choppy. OpenSCAD, Prusaslicer, google maps, etc are all very slow. This problem is only going to get worse. Qubes also kills battery life but I don't really care about that.

https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/4k-videos-in-browser-and-software-rendering/13855/5

https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/4k-videos-in-browser-and-software-rendering/13855/5
>>
>>100158602
>missing gpu hardware acceleration
that sounds annoying
>>
>>100158651
If you didn't realize there'd be no gpu acceleration then you probably had no idea what qubes OS is and therefore you aren't its user case
>>
>>100159361
i want to run separate projects in separate enviroments, seems like Qubes OS should be good at that, which is quite clunky to do in normal Linux distributions
>>
>>100159778
Qubes isn't a Linux distribution
>>
>>100159798
i don't care what it is, just what it does
>>
>>100156726
>running multiple apps in isolated environments with different levels of network access and routing
There is no reason anyone needs to do this
>>
>>100156941
Are on-screen keyboards + mouse a good defense against audio keylogging?
>>
>>100158533
>GNOME is not supported
dropped
>>
>>100160262
i have to work in different projects created
>>
>>100160297
i guess they could listen to mouse button clicks and try to estimate something from time between clicks
the trackpoint on thinkpads is basically silent so they shouldnt be able to track mouse movements but needs personal testing to verify this claim
on screen keyboards also fall against tempest aka antenna pointed in direction of your display cable to recreate screen remotely from emf leaks
so i recommend wrapping your display cable in tinfoil then in some isolation so you dont short motherboard if its inside a laptop
>>
Qubes has some shitty things like no hw acceleration, some usb things can be a pain to setup (like android adb), you are kinda stuck between kde, xfce or i3 and sometimes can feel a bit clunky, but for me it's totally worth it, I couldn't isolate the different activities and identities without it. you should compare it to having multiple pcs instead of a single linux install
>>
>>100160262
You're telling me you can't see the utility in having an application using a VPN, an application connected directly to the internet, and an application with no access to network hardware, all running together on the same system at the same time in the same WM?
>>
>>100160579
bloat and complicated
you dont need all of this when you dont run malware (non free software) on your computer, which qubes is based on
>>
>>100160606
Retard
>>
>>100160579
Its called split tunneling and firejail. You dont need to VM every application. That just created more complexity and overhead for no reason. You can do it all using small user space tools
>>
File: cover1.jpg (109 KB, 640x353)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>100160798
>>
>>100160798
qubes is non free software, this retard is running malware which has around 500mb of binary blobs and 20 mil loc in the name of security, ignore him
>>
>>100156941
>>100156986
neither of you do any of this
>>
>>100160976
jealous because you are below
>>
>>100160986
below this dick faggot
>>
>>100156671
It's made by a troon
>>
>>100157055
>>100157078
https://opencollective.com/qubes-os/expenses
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-desktop-linux-menu
https://github.com/ninavizz
https://github.com/marmarta

UX work for: 4.2 AppMenu / 4.1 Settings / Website updates to promote paid support, clearer community support, improve FAQ, reduce direct-to-team emails
from nina eleanor alter to Qubes OS • November 22, 2021
$3,910.00 USD
>>
>>100156726
Nice.
Do you have a good performance? Which hardware do you have?
>>
>>100161179
https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/pronoun-setting/25723/18
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BEST MEME
https://seclists.org/dailydave/2010/q3/29
>>
>>100156671
It seems cool, but I couldn't figure out how to use my VPN so I gave up on it.

There's lots of cool operating systems but sometimes they're just too hard to be worthwhile for me
>>
>>100160826
I accept your concession

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.