[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Linux-vs-Mac.png (102 KB, 702x471)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
Why do most devs use mac over linux?
>>
it just works
>>
>>100158384
Mac is an inbetween of windows and linux.
People generally perfer windows for lot's of reasons, but devs want to do programming as well so mac becomes the right option for them.
>>
>>100158384
They don't. Most "devs" you see with a fagbook either don't do any actual dev work (they make apps) or they give speeches.
>>
>>100158384
Most devs are homosexual.
>>
>>100158430
Source or GTFO
>>
>>100158384
Because my company doesn't give linux laptops, but they give out macs.
>>
>>100158467
You have linux installed on it right?
>>
>>100158451
I work in the industry. My company only uses Linux and Windows. We have a batch of fagbooks that we only use on fairs/conventions.
>>
>>100158384
I work at a startup employing around 25 people. Being the autist that I am, I closely investigated what kind of OSes are used.

On the desktops:
- Out of 12 developers (i.e. people who actually write code), 2 uses Mac, the rest are on Linux (Ubuntu LTS, that is a company "preferred" desktop distribution, DevOps people prepared Ansible playbooks to set up everything, including dev environments, authenticate with Yubikeys etc. etc.).
- 3 DevOps people use Linux (again Ubuntu LTS)
- The rest (management, product owner, sales people) are Macs. There is one Windows laptop used by "Office manager" (glorified secretary).

On the server side, everything runs on Linux. There are dynamically provisioned EC2 VMs running Bottlerocket, that automatically join Kubernetes cluster to become its nodes when there is such need. There are also a couple of standalone Linux VMs that run Rocky Linux.

Btw. tech stack is based mostly on PHP and Go.

That's it. If anyone gives a fuck.
>>
>>100158384
a) it lets them point fingers at a company if something breaks (very important for businesses)
b) companies don't really give out linux laptops. I think there was a period where you could get enterprise suse machines but I don't think you really can anymore
I think if chromeos removes some of their training wheels they've built in, chromebooks might end up being serious competition.
>>
>>100158518
Is working at a startup fun?
>>
>>100158497
t. Arch Pro NEET subhuman
>>
>>100158482
Nah, unless you count the linux VM that I have installed for running podman commands.

I need the mac to have access to company specific vpn clients and a windows remote desktop (Linux prolly has one as well, but the mac one just werks)
>>
>>100158546
In some ways yes. There's pretty big autonomy for devs, a lot of technical decisions are passed to developers, who are free to solve the problem however they want, as long as it adheres to some general rules established by CTO and head dev. Generally, there's a focus on technical competence and merit, since everyone understand that delivering a good product is "to be or not to be" for the company.

In other ways it's less fun. The pay is a bit worse than at corporations (EU). There's also the risk that startup will not make money in time and it'll flop. Then it's back to searching for a job... But at least with experience.
>>
>>100158384
because most devs are soi infused cucks.
what kind of time wasting garbage question is that?

>>100158537
also this. fagOS is likely the least pozzed corpcuckoldry choice you have.
>>
>>100158392
How often does linux just work?
>>
>>100158624
Haven't had issues with arch in years personally
>>
>>100158497
rare circumstance. imhe macs dominate software development
- windows still doesnt have a functioning terminal in 2024
- linux still doesnt have a functioning de in 2024
- macbooks are the only laptops not made of cheap plastic
everything is made in china anyways
>>
>>100158556
My last job was the same.
Eventually forced them all onto Linux because Windows dev was unsustainable and winchuds didn't want to invest any time getting their shitty code base to build on the newer VS2017 after it got migrated to a buildsystem that wasn't retarded. The code went on ARM SoCs running Linux anyhow so it was kind of retarded wasting time getting it to work on Windows, or for that matter, fagOS.
>>
if youre doing any real dev work then your laptop is just an ssh terminal
if thats the case why not waste corpo money on exorbitant machines?
>>
>>100158661
- macOS still doesn't have functioning windows management in 2024
>>
>>100158661
To be fair, windows has the primitives to make a good terminal, you just have to not be retarded and ignore conhost and handle terminal codes yourself. It's a pain in the ass, mainly because the shitty windows terminal that comes with Windows 11 is "good enough" I guess.
The rest of your points is you just being dumb. Not sure why I bothered replying at all now.
>>
>>100158403
With WSL actually working nowadays I dont see why normie devs would use macos over windows other than macbooks being currently superior laptops.
>>100158518
People who actually work just use Ubuntu LTS
>>
>>100158723
Asuming WSL won't be deprecated in the future like WSA. It will take a while before you will start seeing the shift. I for example use WSL on my windows systems.
>>
because it plays nice with enterprise device management shit and corporate 1984ware like zscaler is designed for mac and windows
jesus christ it's still mind boggling how unemployed this board is
>>
>>100158384
I use my mack to ssh to my linux.
>>
>>100158384
I'm on my 6th Macbook. In all these years, I've had exactly one hardware problem that Apple fixed under warranty within a few days. That's my reason.
>>
>>100158762
>how unemployed this board is
What do you expect form a website created for and by 18 year old childeren.
>>
>>100158661
>>>100158497
>- macbooks are the only laptops not made of cheap plastic

not even close
>>
>>100158745
Microsoft is really putting chips in vscode and github and the whole developer space so deprecating WSL would seem quite odd as it is aimed specifically to keep/get devs from Linux/macOS to Windows. Of course retarded things happen in tech all the time.
>>
Does linux have a single advantage over macos?
>>
>>100158762
Not everyone is a worthless piece of garbage that works at do-nothing corporations.
I can't believe how many employed cucks on this board are proud of it.
>>
>>100158864
Yes
>>
>>100158877
then stick to talking about wallpapers and dotfiles
leave the real world shit to the adults
>>
>>100158864
>Does linux have a single advantage over macos?
Yes, it's free & open source people can fit it in whatever usecase they might have. flexibility desirable.
>>
>>100158912
touched a nerve there, cuck? don't you have TPS reports to fill out while your boss fucks your crush?

fucking worthless office wagie faggot. leave programming to real men.
>>
>>100158877
Okay, neet how much do you make form your livestreams? is that enough to keep the lights on? Or do you rely on your parents which most likely are wagies.
>>
>>100158922
>your crush
I rest my case
literal children
>>
>>100158864
Much more software
>>
>>100158864
i use it just to avoid using the mac desktop environment
laptop is mac because it's the only decent choice
>>
>>100158946
>assumes I'm not employed
you wage cucks are hilarious.
>>
>>100158992
Well if you are a livestreamer aren't technically employed by your viewers?
>>
>>100158384
it just works
and the OS comes with good HW. Say what you will, macbook pro in alu unibody is just a great work horse that lasts for years and years without mechanical failures and the battery lasts the whole day. My MBP 2015 still works just fine and will continue to work for years to come.
>>
>>100158864
I installed kde (version 5.27.x iirc) in my mac mini and got proper window management, more flexibility and better file manager.

Also having a proper package manager (macOS store lacks a lot of stuff and you end using apps outside of it that update themselves instead of updating everything at the same time and it's a mess), homebrew is meh.

macOS on desktop doesn't cut it, at least on my personal mac I can install path finder, afloat, angle, alt-tab, karabiner and others to get the same functionality that I have on windows and linux ootb but that's not usually the case in a company mac.
>>
>>100158384
Because their companies force them. I specifically asked to use Linux and my current company's IT said all devs must use MacOS

They got everyone an M1 macbook and it caused tremendous pain setting up dev environments because ARM.
>>
>>100159007
let me get this straight.
people who do real work for real products who can dictate their own working conditions are unemployed to you?
that's literally what you're saying and what most you worthless wastes of oxygen say. Why are you afraid of independent thought? why do you enjoy being cucked so hard? this isn't even trolling, these are legitimate questions.

as far as I can tell, you're just another office shitter who does nothing of value.
>>
>>100158661
- mac still doesnt have a functioning package manager in 2024
>homebrew
LOOOOOL
>>
>>100159075
if you're a macfaggot, you're supposed to use NixOS now.
>>
Because it just werks
>>
>>100159066
Okay bot, it seems your api is fucking and can't parse properly. I'm not going to bother anymore.
>>
>>100158864
It just works.
I went to Best Buy the other day. Walked up to a mac studio, opened the VTE, typed "python3" and a modal, non-dismisable, always on top dialog appeared saying "23 hours remaining."
Fucking piece of garbage.
>>
>>100159105
only bot itt is you, office drone. answer the questions.
>>
>>100158864
You're writing the software on the same system that will run it, which is nice. Also faster filesystems and better dropdown terminals.
>>
>>100159116
>Walked up to a mac studio, opened the VTE, typed "python3" and a modal, non-dismisable, always on top dialog appeared saying "23 hours remaining."
kek. why don't they just ship python3 in fagOS?

pretty sure CPython is cuck licensed anyhow.
>>
>>100158518
>Btw. tech stack is based mostly on PHP and Go.
Lol. Ec2 kubernetes cluster to deploy a PHP app.
I guess you're doing something right since it's only taking 12 devs and 3 ops.
>>
Linux or mac to earn money?
>>
>>100159140
k8s is ok. once you understand the basics and don't pretend you can manage the actual physical infra yourself, it mostly just works. really the pissers are networking is cursed and a lot of retards want it to be worse and storage is always going to be shitty.
>>
>>100159095
Asahi Linux
>>
>>100158384
i use whatever pc the company i work for gives me. it happens to be a mac. i literally don't care, if you're too retarded to use a different OS, maybe you shouldn't be an engineer
>>
>>100159136
They used to ship both python and TCL. You could walk straight up to a fresh mac, type wish, type in a few lines of TCL and have a working aqua gui right there. It was kind of magical really.
I'm not a proprietary software fan but looking back at OSX from the ~2006 era is mega depressing. Almost everything is a regression.
>>
>>100159157
no, I meant as a package manager. like, nix profile install and home-manager and shit.
>>
>>100159173
I prefer using a gentoo prefix for that.
>>
>>100159161
This, you are supposed to work with windows and linux with ssh and rdp anyways..
>>
>>100159150
If you know what you're doing you can earn money with an IBM XT running DOS and Word Star (like George RR Martin did.) If you don't then you have nothing to contribute.
>>
>>100158384
Do they, actually? Here in Europe, it seems that most companies use Windows + Visual Studio + C#, Windows + Visual Studio + C++, Windows + Eclipse or IntelliJ + Java, or else it's Linux with a mix of scripting languages and Java. So largely Windows at corporate shops, and Linux in more researchy or startupy places.
>>
>>100159157
not available on M3
>>
>>100158384
You'd be surprised, but being a dev doesn't actually mean you're good with technology or computers. I've seen plenty who just live in their editor or IDE and don't know much about using and configuring a computer. It sounds counterintuitive, but that's what it's actually like. These people likely would be ill suited to running Linux on their work PC, so if they need an Unix environment they'll just use Macs, or more precisely the company will buy Macs for them because that is really the only option, there isn't really any Linux equivalent despite a couple of smaller companies here and there selling Linux laptops oriented towards programmer work.

Also in reality you will find that MOST devs actually use Windows, often because this is what the "IT department" has decided to "support" or in other words because they have corporate spyware & control software that runs on Windows but not on Linux so they need company computers to run Windows.
>>
>>100159244
Windows is the workman's OS and will still be atleast till 2030.
>Java
This is what I hate about tech in Europe.
>>
>>100158384
most devs using mac over linux do it because of peer pressure or corporate policy
hope that helps
>>
>>100158711
What window management is missing?
>>
>>100159372
Snapping.
>>
>>100158384
Because computer nerds don't buy softwares.
>>
>>100158762
Not only unemployed, but closeted as well. Fagbook. fagOS. Bunch of closeted, broke homos.

I bet half of them are Mac users who just like to squawk.
>>
>>100158979
LMAO

Adobe? Microsoft Office? Where are the Linux versions?
>>
>>100159040
>Also having a proper package manager (macOS store lacks a lot of stuff and you end using apps outside of it that update themselves instead of updating everything at the same time and it's a mess), homebrew is meh.

MacPorts & Homebrew can setup command line tools under /opt. Anything else, Apple updates.

Not seeing a problem here.
>>
>>100159372
some examples: no windows on top option, proper alt+tab, window snapping/tiling...
>>
>>100159385
Snapping to the left or right? Mine does it. At worst, add the Rectangle app for everything else.
>>
>>100159413
>dev tools
>lists adobe and microshit slop
the absolute state of nu-/g/
>>
>>100159442
Rectangle + AltTab would handle most of your concerns.

Normies don't need this. Keep it simple.
>>
>>100159476
I have plenty of dev tools. You need to add them. For command line additions. MacPorts works.
>>
>>100159515
Only on a personal mac, most companies will prevent this, in mine most people just move every window to a new desktop and switch between desktops so they don't have to use the included alt+tab.
>>
>>100159372
Minimize not removing your window from alt-tab cycle like a retard, for one
>>
>>100159293
>>Java
>This is what I hate about tech in Europe.
Yeah, it seems that large companies here are either Java-based or went all in on Microsoft tech (.NET, Windows Server, etc.) But is it different in the US?
>>
>>100158877
I hope you kill yourself, worthless NEET.
>>
>>100160029
Alt-Tab will fix that.
>>
>>100160146
In my company (Israel) we mostly use Python.
>>
>>100158546
NTA but it heavily depends on the startup. My experience was terrible but the company was also a clown fiesta. My friend works for one and despite the long hours he has to work, he’s generally happy with his job since the company is well ran. It’s basically like working any corpo job in that way but if the company sucks as a startup then it’s like ten times worse than working for a shitty established corporation.
>>
>>100160168
seethe more wagie. I am free, you are a cuck. It's that simple.
>>
>>100160146
>But is it different in the US?
no. It's only different when you're actually working on physical products and not just moving memory around into reports for retards or leaking personal data to 16 year old hackers.
>>
>>100159476
it's pathetic honestly. this board is full of no-coders who have made up problems.
>>
>>100159181
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/Darwin
I fucking kneel.
>>
>>100160310
>I am free
You misspelled "worthless waste of oxygen".
>>
>>100160216
Interesting. Do you use static type annotations?
>>
>>100160416
I have free will, you are a wage cuck.
funny how that works.
>>
>>100158864
It's also more comfy than macos, like it's more fun using it, even for regular everyday tasks
>>
>>100158864
ya, basically everything.
I bought a Mac 11,1 ages ago. about 6 months in I ended up installing Linux on it because Mac OS X (now macOS) had a shit load of problems:
not really "posix" or more accurately, very very contrived compliance.
window management was a joke, amethyst was basically the only semi usable way to use it but then you had to fully buy into the tiling meme.
time wasting animations that you can't disable: window & virtual desktop transitions, minimizing, etc.
package management is basically a joke: homebrew is amateur software and it appears it still is. as other anons mentioned, gentoo has "macOS prefix" page and nix works on macOS as well. how well those work? hard to say. Either way, even "first party" mac apps from the store or from random binaries were basically just over-glorified archives that self-contained all their shitty dependencies.

after all that is said, the ultimate stupid is "time machine" and Mac's filesystem. Time machine just doesn't work, really that simple. Older mac shitware expected you formatted your filesystem to do case folding. if you didn't choose that, it wouldn't work.

linux has none of these problems, by the way.
>>
>>100160897
There is nothing 'comfy' about Desktop Linux.
>>
>>100160310
Freedom? Freedom, you say? How are you free if you have to keep tweaking your Arch installation? You're a prisoner to Arch.
>>
>>100159157
Just run ARM64 Fedora under virtualization.
>>
>>100162593
skill issue
>>
>>100159059
I'm not feeling your pain.
I have a MacBook Pro running Apple Silicon. Almost every tool has an equivalent for the Mac.
>>
>>100158384
They don't. Just the loudest ones that won't shut up about it do.
>>
>>100158877
One of the most important decisions Steve Jobs made was to not cater to smelly IT corporate drones.

Smelly IT corporate drones have not forgotten this. Solutions that work, put smelly IT nerds on unemployment.
>>
>>100158745
Why would Microsoft deprecate WSL? Makes no sense, given that Microsoft is an enterprise software house today.
>>
>>100158912
>>100158946
>>100160168
>>100162715
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU NEED TO GET A JOB LIKE ME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HOW DARE YOU
kek why are wagies like this
>>
>>100158636
shut the fuck up
>>
>>100162798
because they chose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
>>
>>100158723
>>100158745
Using wsl2 with windows is a 10/10. Getting all the tools and the environment of linux with the gui of windows just works. Don't have to dual boot or use something gay like docker or a VM unless you're testing something to break.
>>
>>100158661
>- windows still doesnt have a functioning terminal in 2024
Windows Terminal
>- linux still doesnt have a functioning de in 2024
KDE Plasma was good enough for Valve. I'd personally recommend Sway.
>- macbooks are the only laptops not made of cheap plastic
HP EliteBooks have been metal for ages, Dell XPS is metal, frame.work is metal.
>everything is made in china anyways
Yeah, I guess.
>>
>>100162653
>skill issue
I have Fedora 40 installed on my Mac. There's nothing 'comfy' there. The macOS UI is comfy.

There nothing comfy about Linux distributions since they don't value your time.
>>
How well do they integrate?
Basically, work gave me a Macbook to 'test' (aka I told them to buy me it to see if it was a viability over moving to Win 11 since we're a shitty small company) and it's fine for the most part, I enjoy it better than any Windows laptop I've had and I'm keeping it as a personal laptop.

Which makes me wonder, assuming I switch to Linux on desktop, just how much is in common with it? Mainly generic software apps like browser functionality, Libreoffice, etc. Am I going to see mostly the same shit in terms of UI, functionality of programs?

For example, Windows itself is becoming a fucking inherent mess of fuckery from an IT standpoint with things leaping between massive changes on every update. I want to avoid it
>laptop with linux
fuck no, I like my M3 laptop I got for free
>>
>>100158723
>>100162936
everyone has that phase with WSL where they think it's the greatest dev environment
but then you start having bugs and performance issues and problems with permissions
windows starts showing it's quirkiness and you have to deal with problems that are not documented and that no one else is having with whatever tool you're trying to use
your git commits and documents are all fucked up and other people think you're retarded

then you just move to Mac or Linux like you always should have instead of being a tranny and emulating the real thing
>>
>>100158636
Must be great not having to deal with nvidia.
>>
File: 1702031496480521.png (135 KB, 712x906)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
I have been using a Mac for work for 2 years now because I unfortunately have to maintain iOS applications, and holy shit, what a miserable experience.

Their webservices especially seem like they are all a student's first year webdev project. The interfaces are terrible and half the time I try to access the app connect store it either outright doesn't work or has some bug that renders the whole thing completely useless and I have to wait for like 2 hours for it to get fixed. And the filesystem management is the worst thing I've ever had the sorry opportunity to experience, holy shit.

These "people" actually took unix and made it worst. I guess it could be serviceable for webdev toddlers, I suppose. If you shill / buy these pieces of shit you should definitely consider roping.
>>
>>100158384
>Why do most baseddevs use mac over linux?
ftfy
>>
>>100158864
It's UNIX not just UNIX®
>>
>>100158556
I just imagined someone using Arch walkin' around and do be like: >I work in the industry
>>
>>100158392
fpbp. On top of that some of the tools I use just run better on macOS. It's a UI issue. Apple's UI kit is just more mature, smoother, with fewer glitches.

>>100158711
Setup a dozen permanent Spaces (Mission Control) and assign hot keys to each one (example: cntrl-1, cntrl-2). Now assign your most used apps to them. Once those keys are muscle memory (i.e. cntrl-2 is web, cntrl-3 email, cntrl-4 Xcode) you won't give a shit about window management ever again.
>>
>>100163712
It is
>>
>>100158384
that's simple anon, you just made that up
>>
>>100158384
my company got me a macbook
macos is pretty shit yeah but I cba to install loonix or windows
>>
File: 1713484984201034.png (597 KB, 1024x1024)
597 KB
597 KB PNG
mactoddlers btfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCdcuJZux_g
>>
>>100160993
>not really "posix"
>installs linux
nice one, pseud
>>
Corporate mandates some form of device management and lockdown
but startups of mostly engineers, before the MBAs, HR and other parasitic excel-using scum swoops in are ahead of the curve and increasingly directly on linux
I suspect that is the bigger play that IBM wants to go after with Red Hat, who have plenty of corpo clients who trust them with their dearest work on OpenShift and were building ecosystems around LDAP or a polished desktop with Fedora etc.

>>100162936
>He doesnt know
What did you believe WSL to be, if not a VM?
>>
>>100164285
I do know, I wanted to say VMware but forgot the name and just assumed someone wouldn't be autistic about it. I was wrong.
>>
File: ThinkChad.png (190 KB, 758x644)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>100164357
Yeah you should think twice next time buddy
>>
>>100162798
Yeah, who would like to actually participate in society, meet people, have money for stuff, not be a total disappointment to their parents, maybe even get a girlfriend? Nah fuck that, much better to get up at 2 PM, eat ramen, spend all day arguing with other losers on 4chan, be a literal waste of oxygen.
>>
>>100164460
>Nah fuck that, much better to get up at 2 PM, eat ramen, spend all day arguing with other losers on 4chan
This is the dream for sure if it was sustainable. Who the fuck wants to give to society? That shit's gay. And if you were already guaranteed to never get a girlfriend who cares? Now work harder wagie, I need your taxes to pay for my healthcare and food stamps as long as possible.
>>
>>100158384
>Why do most devs use mac over linux?
It was corporate mainstream just after Windows so some companies started to support it. Linux is only supported in a small handful of companies. People use what supports their career. That said many companies are starting to allow Linux since more corporate management and monitoring tools are supported on it.
>>
>>100164209
>mactoddlers btfo
Still in the closet, Trevor?
>>
>>100158384
most devs use docker. That's all i see my devs use! it's just containers all the way down.

Just think about it, use whatever OS you want (it's basically just a wallpaper anyways, and some colors on the borders of the browser + vscode host), and then everything happens inside a container! life is amazing!
>>
File: 1713996755277.png (202 KB, 1080x1205)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>100158384
Except they don't, and you're objectively, factually, and statistically incorrect.
>>
>>100165652
Docker performance is shit tier on macOS and Windows. It only truly works well on Linux. It cannot work without some form of Linux kernel virtualization.
>>
>>100165723
This kills the iToddler/Wintard
>>
>>100158384
Most devs where?
Certainly not in my company, nor any other company I have been employed at.
>>
>>100158384
Most devs are fucking retarded outside their small sphere of minimal competency they get paid for
>>
>>100162593

Ignorant nigger, use the latest KDE with all batteries included and tell me that again with a straight face
>>
>>100158384
Devs prefer linux over mac - stack overflow
https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-vs-macos-for-development
>>
Try to connect to your WSL instance from WAN
>>
>>100165723
>>100166522
Nooo! You can't just post facts to refute OP's purposefully misleading question! Noooo!
>>
>>100158384
Vast majority of devs use windows
Most use linux in some capacity or at least WSL for stuff like grep rather than learning powershell
When you think about how many jobs require you to use a work laptop on windows and how many people use WSL mac is actually pretty unpopular
Also mac when it gets used is mostly used by people who had rich parents while they went to uni where macs are much more popular than anything else
>>
>>100159397
Most of the trannies/homos I know in tech are into linux
It's the straight normies and women on mac/windows
>>
>>100163708
Like what.
>>
>>100167986
nigger
>>
>>100158392
Not really true anymore since the m1 came out. Any x86 binaries for server side stuff now has to be built for both arm and x86. I interned at a company a while back that was using m1 macs and it was a shitshow for new devs trying to get software installed and working on m1 macs.

To be fair windows has problems also but they mostly stem from shitty oem drivers combined with shitty security tools that are forced on you by corporate IT departments.
>>
they don't know better, also it's UNIX-like, so, instantly better than windows
>>
>>100165723
>Something else: 1%
BSD?
>>
>>100165723
That's just Indians or something
I never see linux . Everyone uses windows or mac
>>
>>100164275
look faggot, just because your shitty OS is "Certified UNIX" doesn't mean anything. Linux is closer to the actual spirit of it in practice and generally Linux goes above and beyond when necessary.

You aren't a fucking programmer so you wouldn't understand.
>>
>>100173236
The shitty OS is the 100,000 Linux distributions out there.
>>
>>100173280
nta
Linux is a kernel.
100k ways to use the kernel is le bad?
>>
>>100158518
>I'm working for a premium version of a popular foss
>graphic designer and marketing fags are all on macs
>sales, HR, secretaries are on windows
>tech is 98% Linux, 2% Mac
>there is an office mac used for QC on Mac
>99.9% of the time we just bother macfags to do that QC
>>
File: file.png (191 KB, 871x239)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>>100173236
>Linux is closer to the actual spirit of it in practice
gnuggers have to be the most unhinged, lowest iq troglodytes on the internet and it's not even a contest
>You aren't a fucking programmer so you wouldn't understand.
And you are a delusional, unemployed mouthbreather
>>
>>100173458
says the fagOS cucklicense enjoyer.
>>
>>100173414
I did use the word "distributions."
>>
>>100158384
>Why do most devs use mac over linux?
Apple pay more from start
>>
>>100173912
fagOS? still closeted, I see.
>>
It just works, for devices my work buys for me when there is a choice I always opt for Macs. Generally the hardware is excellent, beyond those cursed keyboards from a few generations back I've never had a Mac with a hardware failure, contrast that to even high end Lenovo, Dell, and HPs I've had issued and all of those had multiple RMAs. My final straw was that horrible windows modern standby and just how often if fucked me by completely killing my power while the device was "off" in my backpack, on a fucking Mac when I close the lid, throw it in my backpack, go somewhere else, and when I get there? It's not burning hot with a dead battery, because "modern standby" decided it was time to wake up and go wild.
>>
>>100165723
There are narratives behind numbers. A lot of work environments probably don't even allow the use of gitlab and employees at those places wouldn't be a part of that survey. You work with what the company tells you to use. That survey could be from a bunch of hobbyists who have never done anything of note
>>
>>100175299
Lots of companies have a self-hosted gitlab for their source code.
>>
>>100176175
Yeah, which mean they are probably not posting about company policies on gitlab's website.
>>
>>100158864
Functional package manager.
>>
>>100163708
I'm actually seeing the opposite. My coworkers are switching to windows. I've been given a work laptop with windows on it almost three years ago, and I thought I should try WSL before installing ubuntu. And I'm still using windows with WSL to this day on multiple PC's. It just works.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.