[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1683942433002125.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>Android 10/11 is literally the last good android.

This is hard for me to conceptualize.
What are the implications of this?
How do we prepare for the bleak future?
I mean even if I have an android 11 phone right now, it will eventually brake.

Should I buy all the android 11 phones I can get my hands on and keep them in reserve?

Should I learn to make custom roms and check if I can install android 11 on my future phones?
>>
>>100160774
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>100160774
>Should I learn to make custom roms and check if I can install android 11 on my future phones?
backporting isn't really a thing
building android 11 for a new phone launched with 14 is near impossible, the device tree is all based around a14
this is how arm works, you vill use ze niu operating ziztem and u vill be happy
>>
>>100161053
>>100160791

Doesnt rooting the phone eventually allow to bypass all limitations?
>>
>>100160774
>android 10
>scoped storage
>good
Anon...
>>
>android 10 was good
lmao poodroid was never and will never be good
>>
Simple: use some voodoo black magic to make Android die and smartphones use a bloat free, spy free, data-mining free, lightweight Linux.
And by the way, the last good Android was 4.4.
>>
>>100161434
>the last good Android was 4.4

top 3 reasons why. go !
>>
>>100161426
and yet it's still so much less horrible than iOS...
>>
>>100161375
rooting has nothing to do with installing custom roms or building custom roms, what you are asking is nonsense
>>
>>100161451
^this
also "android 11 is better than 12/13/14" retards deserve the rope
nooo!!! they finally made the clock on the lockscreen bigger and the quick settings large enough so they don't take <30% of screen space and are a bitch to press!!! how ugly!!!
that's all there is to it
>>
>>100160774
Could you at least tell us what you don't like in the latest Android version.
>>
>>100161505
like why do people hate the concept of having a clock that isn't 10 pixels wide on the center of the screen I don't understand
NOOO TWO ROWS!! TOO DIFFICULT TO READ AND UGLYYY!!! are they 4 years old or something
>>
>we now have xpboomers/7llenials but for android versions
thanks I hate it
>>
>>100161532
probably... read the post before yours
>>
>>100161434
Wasn't 4.4 the version when they started fucking with storage permissions? I remember having a tablet with 4.2 a million years ago, it got updated to 4.4, and I had to root it and use something called fixSD or something similar because it was completely unusable otherwise. So probably the last good version was the one before 4.4.
Then again, at least it was fixable and after patching it it was much better than the absolute clusterfuck that 5 introduced.

In all seriousness, 2.3 was much better than 2.0. 4.x was at least nicer than 2.x, but I don't remember Android ever getting better afterwards. Every new version I tried for the last decade only ruined or removed something I used and introduced absolutely nothing in return.
>>
>>100161488
rooting your phone means you are not affected by the limitations of future android version
there are apps and modules which require root access that can do whatever you want
>>
>>100161622
>introduced absolutely nothing in return
do you have brain damage
>>
>>100160774
Mobile phone operating systems were never good.
unironically the gnome flatpak/portal shit is a better implementation of this sand boxing shit.
>>
>>100161649
>rooting your phone means you are not affected by the limitations of future android version
what limitations are you even talking about
we don't know why he prefers 10 and 11, it probably has to do with the new ui
>there are apps and modules which require root access that can do whatever you want
btw this isn't even true, you cannot disable scoped storage or all the stuff that's part of the permission manager
people that think root allows you to do anything you want including manipulating such low level behaviour are retarded 11 year olds that never rooted a phone
>>
File: file.png (975 KB, 1080x2340)
975 KB
975 KB PNG
As far as I can see only redeeming feature of A14 was the new easter egg
>>
>>100160774
i have 14 and i FUCKING HATE IT
10 was good but was the beginning of the end
>apps you cant disable or uninstall without root
>tonnes of other shit i forogot
>>
File: 1453428933940.jpg (21 KB, 471x480)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>100161409
Android 10 was at least still useable for me. It got really bad with 11. That's when my voice recorder app started saving recordings into the internal Android/data folder instead of a folder of my choice on the SD card. Even worse still is A11 constantly kills off apps that I want to run in the background like MacroDroid, and it's basically rendered useless. And then there's that whole thing where homescreen shortcuts just straight up vanish after a reboot. None of these issues were present for me with Android 10.
>>
>>100161740
and it's still nowhere as good as the flappy bird one from lollipop/marshmallow
>>
>>100161755
>apps you cant disable or uninstall without root
this has always been a thing retard
and also... no, you can disable any app you want via adb, root isn't required, you can also uninstall via adb but that doesn't remove the unused space in the system partition so it's pointless (same applies to root btw)
>tonnes of other shit i forogot
oh I see, that stuff was so important you even forgot about it
>>
>>100161547
The pull down menu is worse. The volume menu is worse. Notification player actions no longer work the way they are supposed to. The buttons in notification players are also way smaller and harder to tap now.
>>
>>100161777
>It got really bad with 11
literally the same os but with scrolling screenshots and persistent media player
>That's when my voice recorder app started saving recordings into the internal Android/data folder instead of a folder of my choice on the SD card
...install a different voice recorder then?
>Even worse still is A11 constantly kills off apps that I want to run in the background
not a problem on aosp, blame whichever retarded oem's skin you are using for implementing such retarded behaviour
>And then there's that whole thing where homescreen shortcuts just straight up vanish after a reboot
again, that's a (you) problem and not expected behaviour
>None of these issues were present for me with Android 10
which doesn't mean the android version is the problem retard
>>
>>100161442
nta but:
It was comfy.
It was sovlvull.
It just werked.
>>
>>100161801
>The pull down menu is worse.
I already mentioned this, and no, it fucking isn't worse, it's better but MUUH IT'S MORE UGLY!!
I have no need for 32843298 quick settings, it defeats the point
having less of them and with bigger panels just makes them easier to tap
>The volume menu is worse
it was literally unchanged, no idea what you are talking about
>Notification player actions no longer work the way they are supposed to.
never had a problem with this, a random bug that's happening on your specific device isn't an android-wide regression, there seems to be a pattern with retards buying chinkshit phones and then blaming android when the oem's software sucks balls
>The buttons in notification players are also way smaller and harder to tap now.
??? forward/back/shuffle/etc. are the same size, and the play/pause button (which is the one that matters the most) is now way bigger, tf you are talking about
>>
>>100160774
I'm still on 8.0 lol
>>
>>100161870
The pull down menu completely blocks the background now. Why? It forces me to have at least 6 tiles but only shows 4 on the first pull down. Why? I can no longer access the brightness slider on the first pull down. Why?

The volume sliders now have a huge radius which makes it more ambiguous whether they are at the end of travel or not. The expanded volume menu also takes up 3/4 of the screen. Why?

The ff/rewind or combo ff/rw and next/previous buttons selected by the app get overwritten by prev/next buttons by the system. Newpipe finally allowed a workaround to change the last 2 buttons to ones I actually want, despite all 5 being customizable in android 11. Also the buttons are smaller and the squiggly time slider are smaller. This is not debatable.

If I was at home I'd take screenshots of the features on my android 11 phone for side by side comparison.
>>
This is why you buy a Samsung phone with OneUI.
You get the latest android backend with security fixes with a sane UI on the front.
>>
>>100161980
>The pull down menu completely blocks the background now. Why?
why is that a thing that matters?? I'm not looking at the stuff i have open while using the pull down menu anyways, and it would be covering 80% of the screen anyways, such a weird useless thing to complain about
>It forces me to have at least 6 tiles but only shows 4 on the first pull down. Why?
I'm pretty sure android 11 also forced you to have at least 6 amount of tiles pal, do you use more than 4 tiles so frequently that you need 6 of them on the first pull down? you don't, and before android 12 I never used the first pull down because of how small and unlabeled they were, now I only have 4 that I use all the time and I can see at a glance what they are without needing the second pull down, again, I don't get how this is a bad thing
>The ff/rewind or combo ff/rw and next/previous buttons selected by the app get overwritten by prev/next buttons by the system.
I also don't get how this is a problem, I'm all for user choice... but I cannot imagine a single scenario were I wouldn't want those first 2 buttons to be forward and back, and is 2 customizeable buttons not enough in any scenario? On newpipe 2 customizable buttons is even too much for me, I never use loop/repeat, the X to close is all I need really
>Also the buttons are smaller and the squiggly time slider are smaller. This is not debatable.
I'm looking at screenshots now... and while I do understand what you mean now, they are barely any smaller, and making up for it you have more amount of album art shown + a much bigger and easy to tap play/pause button, which again, is the most important button, I don't see how it is a downgrade, the a13/14 media player is still an upgrade for me
>If I was at home I'd take screenshots of the features on my android 11 phone for side by side comparison.
just look it up on google nigger
+ my secondary phone is currently running a10 and my main one is running 14, I've used both versions plenty
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (40 KB, 640x480)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>100162001
>samsung
>sane UI
kekw
also enjoy your nasty ass bloatware
>>
>>100162093
>lockscreen ads
Doesn't happen on my phone
Is that a mutt thing?
>>
I have a moto g fast , came with 10 but updated to 11. It's fine for the not much needs I have for a smart phone considering it's my first (Was a slowpoke in adopting a smart phone)
>>
>>100161505
>>100161547
Material Jew quick settings was designed for disabled cattle.
>>
>>100160774
The last really good Android was 4.0. Things started going downhill in 4.2. The last good feature addition was in 5.0. Everything after that is pure shit. Also Kotlin is hard gay.
>>
>>100160774
>Android 10/11 is litera-this app requires android 12 or newer to run. please update
>>
>>100163042
not going to happen anytime soon
most apps still run on lollipop/marshmallow just fine

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.