[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So finally got around to trying out Linux Mint after being on windows my whole life and um... wow. Linux is faster on my 300$ laptop than windows 11 is on my 1000$ Desktop. Think about that for a minute. The literal only thing "wrong" that I can find with linux is user error, (as in I don't know how to work most of these open source softwares). To say windows is bloatware is actually an understatement. The ONLY thing going to for Windows is a large userbase. How ironic.
>>
Makes you realize how fast Windows could be without its spywares.
>>
>>100164771
I imagine that recording every input of it's users puts an unnecessary strain on the motherboard bus.
>>
It really doesn't help how a large portion of anons love nothing more than to spend their time actively giving people bad advice in order to make their use of technology as inconvenient as possible, just to fuck with them.
You probably didn't listen to anons on here thanks to the three jackasses fucking around + one genuine dumbass for every single helpful anon that contradict every single useful piece of advice on this hellhole of a board.
>>
>>100164925
This sort of sums up people in general. Lots of opinions in this world and only a few of them are correct.
>>
>>100164662
Most people who try Linux end up liking it, pretty common. Enjoy
>>
>>100165027
>Most people who try Linux end up liking it
Not really. Why do you think usage metrics are so low? Wangblows fags try one of the beginner distros, enjoy the general ambiance (unless they grabbed something with a fucking foot as the default DE) then run into 1 (one) problem, then run back to Wangblows.
>>
>>100165056
Guess it's just bias then, but most people I speak to enjoy learning about problems. Come to think of it, more of my mates use Linux as a daily driver than don't these days.
>>
>>100164925
this, it's certainly not just a /g/ problem, if you just give decent advice about anything some sperg is gonna start thinking up hyper specific scenarios where your advice is bad.
>>
>>100164662
I did the same thing but never could find a distro that didn't drain my battery twice as fast as Windows. For a machine that's plugged in most of the time, that doesn't matter much but if you're on the go, losing half the time you can use it between charges is a deal breaker.
>>
windows transparently does all the things like a hardened linux kernel does and more, does so much shit by default cause it has to conform to EVERY use case whereas linux i dont care about this or that feature so i dont implement it.. and i get performance gains because of it, not to meantion al the zog backdoor shit
>>
>>100165107
that's just because there isn't battery controllers for every laptop out there.
I'd assume maybe the system76 laptops or some other company that ships laptops with Linux might fix it, since they have set hardware, but idk if they actually do.
>>
>>100164925
godspeed to the anons holding the gate
>>
>>100165117
>transparently
Why is the word "transparent" used for "opaque" in software? I have never understood that. If you can't see what's going on that is opaque, not transparent. But computer fags call it the other way around. Computer fags are dumb subhumans.
>>
>>100164662
I can't run honey select 2 on linux
>>
>>100164662
Will linux mint work on an old 4gb ram laptop?
>>
>>100165314
1gb will be enough
>>
>>100165331
Who do you think will be faster arch Linux after installing everything I need or out of the box mint?
>>
>>100165367
Do you want to use your computer or do you just want to tinker with settings
>>
>>100165367
If you make the arch install minimal, eg if you instead of a huge DE, use a minimal window manager like DWM or such, it'll definitely be waay lighter and faster. Like, you can have a system like this take just 100 megabytes.

But to set up and use such a system, you gotta get your hands pretty dirty, and actually use and learn Linux full-time for a bit.
>>
>>100165409
this guy gets it.
>>
>>100164662
Mint is fine for everyday use, i used it through my college years it always had lil issues here and there that i figured out eventually, but that's the case with linux in general, u will have bad days and it will brake no matter how careful u are, i just finished fixing a server after an update broke it, qt the end of the day linux just runs better no matter what the hardware is
>>
>>100165421
I use arch + budgie my idle ram usage is usually about 1Gb, on debian it's in the 500Mb
>>
>>100165801
debian, ubuntu,and mint. There's really no reason for the average Joe to try anything else. (Mint is the easiest btw).
>>
>>100165192
Just as "simple" is used in two opposing senses:
- Some say Mac is simple because its inner workings are hidden from the user, you just click some buttons and shit works.
- Some say Slackware is simple because it does not hide anything from the user, everything is given raw on the command line and can be customized by editing configuration files.
>>
>>100165774
>linux breaks but linux just runs better
>>
>>100164662
install gentoo
>>
>>100164662
Linux Mint is awesome but I was forced to go back to Windows because the Wacom driver kept malfunctioning, it was seemingly impossible to set scroll length through the graphical UI, couldn't press down the mouse wheel to autoscroll on any of the Chromium browsers, the inbuilt scaling for my 4K monitor was blurry and awful, the graphics driver liked to crash and lock the window manager and the OS would easily eat up all memory and just instantly hang beyond recovery. Will ditch Windows forever if they actually fix these things.
>>
>>100166361
Was this in 2008 or something?
>>
>>100166409
No, it was last year, on an Asus MiniPC with integrated Intel graphics
>>
>>100166361
>>100166433
(the memory thing happened with 64 gb RAM whenever I accidentally started too many heavy documents at the same time---for some reason Windows never seem to run out of RAM on the same load but Mint would just liberally give memory to everything willy nilly until it abruptly seized. kek)
>>
>>100166361
>the graphics driver liked to crash

wouldn't a person just wait until the next driver update and then try linux again? I would be chomping at the bit for the next driver update
>>
>>100166496
>further investigation revealed that it was user error all along.
many such cases!
>>
>>100166502
I tried the EDGE ISO with the newest kernel at the time or whatever but no success. Going forward I'm gonna keep trying it whenever there's a major release though.

>>100166531
I can see why some l33t Linux distro would act like that: "Want memory? Here you go and fuck you if you use too much." This is Linux Mint though and it's marketed as a Windows-like common sense distro for regular people. It should have some way to defend my system from exploding if I accidentally open one heavy file too many, simply hanging like a retard and potentially corrupting the user's files is inexcusable. Windows has never done this in 20+ years of use, neither should Mint ideally
>>
>>100165056
>Why do you think usage metrics are so low?
because when you go a store to buy your new laptop, or even when you buy it online, it comes preinstalled with either MacOS or Windows
>>
>>100164925
Install gentoo.
>>
>>100164662
Same. I was shocked to see how I could use a browser with a dozen taps and several applications at the same time and still have less memory usage than idling windows somehow. Absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>100166592
>mint should never do this ideally

let them know if they dont already. submit a report.
>>
>>100164662
Wait until a few updates where everything breaks because you unplugged a usb or something. You are doomed to go back to windows or become a tinker tranny
>>
>>100165421
>>100164662
>>100165027
>>100165056
what linuxtrannies don't understand is that if anyone invested the time they'd take learning linux from scratch + remembering all window manager keybinds into working a few shifts at a fucking mcdonalds they'd be able to afford a computer that runs windows well
linux = tinkertrannies, real trannies, pedophiles, it guys (either also pedophiles or trannies, sometimes both)
windows = normal people or gamers
>>
>>100166784 gets posted, then suddenly >>100166844 posts...
sus
>>
>>100164662
>inux is faster on my 300$ laptop than windows 11 is on my 1000$ Desktop.
same way you are a woman, in imaginary scenarios
>>
>>100166849
anon. I dont like bloat and waste. That’s a stupid thing to defend. dont you think? Sorry you're so angry.
>>
>>100166844
low quality bait
>>
>>100166857
when I open file explorer in linux on the 300$ laptop it's instantaneous while on the windows 1000$ desktop there is still maybe 50ms of delay. it's not bothersome but goes to show the difference.
>>
>>100165056
Because ordinary people go to Store, buy Computer, and use Operating System that comes with Computer.
>>
>>100166917
if you dont like bloat and waste then why are you still breathing?
i mean, seriously though, you fucking retarded neets always fail to account the price of time into your little charades. i truly wonder why :)
most of you guys don't have any social interaction with other normal humans whatsoever so it can be hard to understand the fact that almost nobody gives a fucking shit, why would anyone "swap a DE for XYZ window manager" instead of just fucking using that time to buy a better pc? give me a single fucking case where the first would be faster OR easier
unless you literally live in cuba and you can't find anything newer than a fucking lisp machine in what world would learning a new OS and a window manager be faster than just upgrading your 2005 rig?
gonna tell your mom to RTFM when xorg shits himself again after an update? tell your dad he can't open the fucking word document because its not free as in free beer? tell your friend to "just use lmaooo" or "play better games bruh" because the fucking anticheat blocks him from playing whatever fotm shit you zoomers play nowadays?
t. gentoo user since 2010, would never recommend linux to anyone who doesnt already like computers
>>
>>100167004
I don't believe you. There are many distros that ordinary non-computer people can use for their ordinary tasks with no problems at all.
>>
>>100167004
>t. gentoo user since 2010

um what a wacky interaction. It would appear the reason you think linux is some nerdy thing is because you have been using Gentoo (a rather difficult distro) for 14 years. You sound very angry and I don't know what to tell you other than that Linux Mint is 2cool4school.
>>
>>100165056
Because the overwhelming majority of users don't try it in the first place.
>>
>>100167078
believe in whatever the fuck you want retard, nobody gives a shit about what you think
>>100167125
the fact that people call gentoo "difficult" when it has one of, if not THE most detailed wiki of all linux distributions already tells me that the "people" who need to get "transitioned" into being linux users would be better off working a night shift for a month and buying a new mac
the wiki is constantly updated, you can do a full install where every single setting is thoroughly explained, you don't have to leave a single fucking website, yet people call it "hard"? sure it may take a while if you have a shit pc but there's not a single step anyone could call hard
you dont even need to configure your kernel, while i dont know why youd use gentoo if you're willing to skip that step, you can just use genkernel
zero fucking reason to recommend linux, people interested would've already have tried and the rest would be far better off without it.
>>
>>100167004
>>100167205
Why are you so angry. It makes no sense, you know.
>>
>>100167205
>you HAVE to read a 1000 page manual to set up your system or it's not real linux
no thanks gramps, I will use the easy distro and flip you off while doing a wheelie
>>
>>100167004
>i mean, seriously though, you fucking retarded neets always fail to account the price of time into your little charades.
Have you considered that spending time learning things is not a waste of time? Learning the intricacies of a computer is much easier on Linux and that could end up giving you a job. (I've seen many positions that require good knowledge on linux systems nowadays)

>t. gentoo user since 2010
Screencap with neofetch or you're lying

also why u mad lmao
>>
>>100167246
because this dogshit thread somehow wasn't caught by my filters and i accidentally ended up reading the first two (2) posts >>100164771 ??? >>100164903 ????????????????????????
any sane human would be pissed at the absolutely retarded worthless neets spewing shit out of their chicken tendie filled mouths and doritos encrusted fat fingers
>>100167256
if youre that scared of a few lines of text then good luck begging to some random tranny on /fglgbt/ to help you out with one of the billion issues you'll encounter whenever you try to do anything other than post your neofetch on the daily wallpaper thread
>>
File: linux4186716814.jpg (1020 KB, 650x4377)
1020 KB
1020 KB JPG
>>100167205
you've been called out. see >>100167256 and pic related.
>>
>>100167314
I was gonna write some snarky post to crap on you but you are obviously going through some stuff irl. sorry about your loss. or sorry the wife left you. etc.
>>
>>100167314
>absolutely retarded worthless neets spewing shit out of their chicken tendie filled mouths and doritos encrusted fat fingers
Why do you have to be so mean and ragey like this.
>>
>>100167352
Its kindof funny and over the top lel
>>
yeah of course its a bunch of arch niggers trying to bait instead of actually trying to argue against any of my points
maybe next life you faggots wont be so retarded
if this thread is still alive tomorrow i'll reply to the worthwhile posts
>>
>>100167421
>trying to bait instead of actually trying to argue against any of my points
Maybe it's because your points are: "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LINUX BAD YOU ARE A TRANNY REEEEEEEEEEEE"?
>>
>>100167314
>one of the billion issues you'll encounter whenever you try to do anything other than post your neofetch
I'm using Mint, not Arch
>>
>>100164925
but it's kinda true. most distros and even most desktop environments are so inconvenient and aesthetically inconsistent, you have to spend so much time configuring them to how you want them to be that it's less time consuming to just configure arch + dwm and get maximum unix workflow benefits rather than a half assed windows alternative.
>>
>>100164662
>Linux is faster on my 300$ laptop than windows 11 is on my 1000$ Desktop
Based. Mentioning you have another device was a good way to filter out poorfag insults hurled at you.
>>100164925
What is the most civil place on the net that you could recommend? Non mainstream are also welcome. Thanks. I just hate I end up mostly joining fights the moment insults start flying here.
>>
>>100167315
reading this from arch, had me rolling to the point i shat myself
>>
>>100165192
Context is different. Opaque would imply you can see into any of it, or interact through it. Intel ME is opaque, it does shit, you don’t know what, and you can do anything with it. Transparency implies that while you don’t know what’s going on, you can still interact through it. Windows does a bunch of fuckery with running in a VM, sandboxing, KASLR, but in most cases you won’t meaningfully notice it, you just use it the same way as always.
>>
>>100166361
The Wacom driver not working is surprisingly, Linux typically handles input devices fairly well. Scroll length I think varies from DE to DE, the middle click to scroll is a Windows specific thing, only Firefox supports it on Linux by default, because middle click is used in X11 to paste whatever text is highlighted. Scaling is complicated, it varies depending on whether it’s X or Wayland, and which DE you’re running. Graphics drivers for newbies often seem to be an issue, particularly for NVidia cards, because not all distros provide the NVidia drivers and default to nouveau, and installing the correct ones can be a bit much for newer users sometimes. I haven’t used Mint in years, so I’m not sure what it’s like in that regards
>>
i just tried windows again after people shilled "it just werks" and it was fucking cancer. linux mint xfce is comfy, i dont care anymore its just nice to use and all my vidya works fine. it too ka fraction of the time to install mint than it did windows
>>
>>100167956
>xfce
gross
>>
>>100164662
>Linux is faster on my 300$ laptop than windows 11 is on my 1000$ Desktop.
>(as in I don't know how to work most of these open source softwares)

And what are you using both for? Linux faster for shiptoasting on 4chan?
>>
>>100167314
Life is simpler when you don't interact with people you disagree with
>>
>>100168001
I mean just clicking around and using the machine is faster. I'm daily driving both and I'll see if the desktop can eventually go to Linux Mint as well.
>>
>>100167924
The Wacom driver thing manifested as "sticky" mouse clicks. For example, I would simply double click a folder but then the last click would often not release, resulting in inadvertent dragging of folders or other things. I think some other people have acknowledged the issue as well. Worked well otherwise.

Graphics were Intel integrated. Screen would suddenly go black and come back like the driver restarted and I think some log somewhere recorded a particular error message that some other people with Intel integrated had experienced with Mint as well.
>>
>>100167956
>xfce
comfy
>>
>>100167205
>>100167314
>believe whatever you want, no one cares
>proceeds to flame about his 4chan filters not working
what an unfathomably large faggot. wash your fucking fedora. i can smell that shit from here.
>>
>>100166849
I could not have written a stupider post than this.
congradulashins.
>>
>>100167314
lmao you're in no position to be flaming other users
>>
File: 1690825989182212.png (329 KB, 1427x816)
329 KB
329 KB PNG
Windows doesn't just werk
it fails to recognize my ethernet
I've downloaded drivers and everything
no internet on that windows drive - I'm better off anyway, because I'm running some software on there once or twice a week that I don't want connected to the internet anyway. I just don't care anymore.
>>
>>100168194
Nise cumputer wite boy now hand it over
>>
>>100168050
Spoiler: You wan't
>>
>>100164662
I try to put on my msi laptop and it didn't work, I know I just too smoothbrain but I dint have time to go and find custom drivers for basically every component.

anyone with msi gaming laptop can reccomend how to do ez pz?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.