[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1646333888461.png (340 KB, 787x720)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
Why do people install anything other than Ubuntu as a beginner distro? Like, what's the deal with shit like Mint, PopOS, Zorin and elementary? It's all just Ubuntu with a different DE. If you want a different DE, just install Ubuntu and install a different DE?
>>
Kubuntu > Ubuntu
Also there's Nobara these days
>>
For one, Ucuntu (and some Ucuntu with different DE) are made by a company, that sells extra security updates. Because they can.
Also, Snaps are trash.
Mint and POP get rid of Snaps, swap GNOME for their own DE's (both of which are quite nice) and don't sell security updates to the end user.
>>
there was some outrage about ubuntu recently that made a lot of people turn to other distros
I don't remember what it was though, I don't really care about linux
>>
I still advocate for Fedora, despite all the Red Hat controversy. Beginners too.
My opinion's always kinda been, Debian is the gold standard community server OS, and all the shit based on it is mostly unnecessary.
>>
>>100166179
>My opinion's always kinda been, Debian is the gold standard community server OS
That would be Unraid.
>>
>>100165141
Because snaps are YUGELY wasteful.
>>
>>100165141
Because they visit forums like this or leddit and are told to install Arch or Mint and that Ubuntu is not elite enough
>>
>>100165141
Casual Mint user here. (Exclusively use GUI, no terminal)

Ubuntu has always been a bit buggy for me. Sometimes I would have trouble connecting to a WiFi network that required a webpage to be pulled up to access. Mint also has a better functioning package from my experience.

Also, i like the out of the box look better as well.
>>
>>100165141
Ubuntu uses gnome. Mint doesn't.
>>
>>100165141
Ubuntu is utter shit.
Dapper Drake was my first linux distro ever, if I remember correctly. (or it might be the one right before) And it fried my HDD by parking the reading heads 6 times per minutes.
Fuck South African's rich fucks; And everything they have built.
>>
Because I was born an expert.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.