[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why are HAMs such bootlicking faggots? They are like avatarfagging hall monitors. Were they always this way? I remember hearing all these cool stories about the "old days" of pirate radio stations and local access tv when I was a kid in the early 90's. Did the culture change or was there some kind of legislation/funding that gave the fcc more enforcement capability? I recently learned it's federally illegal to jam signals on your own private land in the USA, even if the transmission does not extend beyond the bounds of your property... what the actual fuck
>>
>>100167452
thats a little harsh dont you think? I think they are just trying to have a little fun with radios
>>
culture changed, it's all boomers now. any enforcement is still nonexistent unless you act like a total retard.
>>
HAM niggers have always been uppity little shits. Rather than just talking over the radio normally they turn it into a stupidly complex process that you need to do in a legal way, otherwise they'll triangulate you and get the FCC on your ass.
Normalize calling them cocksuckers from within your car so they can't find you.
>>
>>100167452
imagine if the internet was like this
>zomg I sent a packet across the world and received an ACK!
>let's have a competition about this
>>
I thought most of the HAM and shortwave listener dudes like to find and listen to pirate stations as long as they are on frequencies that aren't normally used for other stuff. CB radio in some places at one time turned into younger people swearing at each other whatnot. The HAM guys not want their talk channels to turn into that and that is a reason some are uptight about how people act on there.
>>
They are NAME FAGS of radio
See a ham truck...stuff a rag in that gas tank and light that fucker and drive away.
>>
>>100167452
>Why are HAMs such bootlicking faggots?
boomers
>>
File: 1585439352109.gif (1.45 MB, 512x288)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB GIF
>>100167822
>>100167624
>>100167452
Are you dumb, zoomers, or just yuropoors?

You have to be more aggressive on policing RF emissions because they travel far and wide. Do you not understand the basics? There is no comparison to using the internet.
>>
>>100168008
>whoah there! is that an ILLEGAL transmission? oh gee golly wiz lets track those CRIMINALS down! I'm pretty sure they didn't give a callsign, the fcc needs to know about this! WXLRT OUT!
>>
>>100168033
>You have to be more aggressive on policing RF emissions because they travel far and wide.
>There is no comparison to using the internet.
How do you think cellular/satellite internet works then? Or wifi? Just because you're sending digital packets doesn't mean you aren't using RF.
>>
I am of two minds about this. Being a pirate is based. Being a ham is also based. If you're going to do either you need to have a clue about what you're doing. A ham used to following the rules to the letter is going to be a better pirate than some random faggot without a clue how to operate his equipment. If you're going to be a pirate you shouldn't be a nuisance. That means not causing interference or putting out shit quality broadcasts. Even if you intend to squat on the spectrum it's probably a good idea if you study, pass the tests, and get a feel for how to be a ham operator before you start doing pirate activities. It will greatly decrease the chances of the feds getting complaints about you and coming to btfo you.
>>
>>100167452
>t. said stupid shit and got roasted by a boomer
>>
>>100167452
>even if the transmission does not extend beyond the bounds of your property
thats not how radio waves work, noob
>>
>>100168167
>hurr durr just don't get caught bro
That's not the issue. Anyone with a triple digit iq can pass a ham test, it's literally basic e&m theory, radio vocabulary, and acknowledging that you know the "rules".
>>
>>100168242
>thats not how radio waves work, noob
sure bro let me just connect to your bluetooth speak from a mile away... fucking retard.
>>
>>100168243
If you're already at that point even without any ham background then congrats anon. Go on and broadcast without doing retarded shit and the feds will probably be on someone else's nuts instead because their resources are stretched thin as it is.
>>
>I wonder if there is something WORSE than IRC
>>
>>100168311
Check out CB radio if that's what you want. Retard central.
>>
>>100167452
What will be the state of the hobby in 30 years when they're all dead?
>>
>>100168322
Maybe there will be nobody to protest their frequencies being vacated and sold off. Kinda sad really. Imagine a future where only corporate controlled communications are allowed and the means to either transmit and listen without some kind of subscription are so arcane that they might as well not exist. We're almost there!
>>
>>100167452
KEK. Dude’s name is Homer.
>>
>>100168343
lmao. the trackball almost makes me not hate him. almost
>>
>>100167822
>imagine if the internet was like this
>zomg I sent a packet across the world and received an ACK!
>let's have a competition about this
Oh, zoomer, it was like that. In the early days. Guestbooks, web rings, le sigh
>>
>>100168110
It's an analog signal. If you're reciting The Bee Movie Script: Sneed Edit (TM) on a band for 3 hours, you're using up that band for everyone else.
>>
>>100168414
>It's an analog signal.
how about DMR?
>>
>>100168033
Hypothetically you could be the reincarnation of Nikola Tesla himself, abide within their own rules, doing nothing really "wrong" but without a government approved loicense they will attempt to dox you. Defend this.
>>
>>100168426
If you don't have a license just stay off their frequencies. There are a lot of other frequencies out there. Nobody is trying to dox the pirates that stay on their designated shitting frequencies where the people who actually enjoy their broadcasts will be looking for them.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php?board=3.0
>>
>>100168439
>Greet them without your ID
>Reeeee this is our frequency we will dox you
Thats why you are faggots
>>
>what?!
>what?!
>WHO'S THERE!?
>I CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT UR SAYIN SON!
>it sounds like you're talkin in some kind of code, what are you a commie spy or somethin? I'm gonna report this to the government and find out where you live!
>>
>>100168457
I'm not a ham and I don't intend to be. I'm just a SWL. If you're not a ham there's no reason for you to transmit on ham frequencies. Just the same as there's no reason for you to transmit over your local police or fire frequencies, the frequencies of the most popular Top 40 or Country music FM stations, or cellular frequencies. They are licensed users and you are invading their turf. If you find somewhere else to play on a frequency nobody uses perhaps nobody will care. This is the logic pirates typically use and it's why they aren't getting shut down left and right. It will be harder to make a go of it if you try to be a local pirate on broadcast FM rather than transmitting on shortwave for a few nerds to pick it up but that's just the nature of the game.
>>
>>100167620
>culture changed, it's all boomers now.
Zoomers are too low IQ for HAM radio, in general. Instead of reading pages of books they want a QRD and expect a 2 minute tutorial.
>>
HAM as a hobby is basically dead. Anything decent is encrypted now. The only thing left are a bunch of boomers jerking each other off and the only thing they care about is harassing noobs.
>>
>>100168491
>I'm not a ham and I don't intend to be. I'm just a SWL
GOOD. Don't even think about creating radio waves, if you attempt to convert electricity into an oscillating airwave without explicit permission from the government you deserve to be kidnapped against your will and confined to a cell, if you attempt to evade us we will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to track you down, if you attempt resist us we are obligated to kill you.
>>
>>100167452
I used to run a 1200w pep amplifier on the 11m CB band using a a modified Ameritron ham radio amp. Until I received a cease and desist letter from the FCC. This was in the 90s. Now I just fuck around with Baochangs.
>>
>>100168544
Actually being a shortwave pirate sounds fun. The only reason I don't look into it more is because I am currently living in Asia. I don't think there's really a scene for that here. Nobody would listen. Nobody would care. When I was younger and living in the US I dreamed of making my own FM pirate station and studied what it would take quite a bit even since I was a teenager. But by the time I was older and had money it seemed like FM radio wasn't even relevant anymore to the point where just putting something out there to target people hitting the seek button on their car radios is worth it. The world is moving on. But I still like listening to shortwave and FM dxing. I also like seeking out the FM pirates that pop up occasionally where I'm living now.
>>
>>100168414
>It's an analog signal.
Which can be amplified or attenuated based on how much power you use. Your argument that it needs to be policed because RF inherently travels "far and wide" is retarded.
> If you're reciting The Bee Movie Script: Sneed Edit (TM) on a band for 3 hours, you're using up that band for everyone else.
And if you ddos a server by sending 10000 packets per second to it you're using all the bandwidth up and preventing other users from accessing it.... you can be malicious dickhead with any technology
>>
>>100168525
sure, why not, but everyone and their mothers carrying around a small device allowing you to connect anywhere in the world might also have something to do with it.
>>
>>100168260
>My jammer is 2.5 milliwatts
sure it is, retard
>>
>>100168657
It needs to be policed simply because the world is full of retards with the right combination of free time and mental illness to actually do such things. You can whine about it but you're on a website that's subject to similar restrictions. If you act like a big old faggot you can lose your right to post.
>>
>>100168673
Guess I missed the part where I had to get a pay a fee, get a license, and identify myself with a callsign before and after every post I make here. Oh and be restricted to only posting so much and only on certain boards...
>>
>>100168688
That's ham radio's retard filter. If you don't like it there's always CB.
>>
>>100168673
>mmmm boot yummy
>>
>>100168713
I really don't give that much of a shit anon. If you want to give a bunch of bored boomers reason to df you and literally bully you for being a retard that transmits on their frequencies with your little baofeng that's on you. I don't think not doing so is bootlicking, I just think actually doing so is a retarded activity that accomplishes nothing of value. Complete and utter waste of time.
>>
>>100168669
maybe it is, that would be FUCKING ILLEGAL BRO. Or maybe I own 340 acres surrounded by mountains on all sides...
>>
>>100168491
https://youtu.be/XkI2wE4uB68
>>
File: 30_year_old_commer.png (294 KB, 780x537)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>>100168033
OP and such will not shit in their designated shitting bands and are pretending to be uppity niggers because of it
>>
>>100168747
>being a retard that transmits on their frequencies with your little baofeng
The fact that you think this is the root issue is hilarious.
>>
>>100168771
It doesn't matter what the root issue is anon, the end result is still you getting bullied by some grandpa. Don't you have better things to do than trying to troll AARP members and adding years to their lives by getting their brains really working?
>>
>>100168596
Do it faggot tiny dick. And I mean that in the most sincere way.
>>
>>100168797
Do what now?
>>
>>100167452
No. Hams were always the bootlickers. CB was where the people who wanted to do shit hung out.
>>
>>100168803
Retard, see post I replied to, or get off my fucking forums.

xtjws out
>>
>>100168823
Do what now?
>>
No one ever said or did shit when I was using a 5,000 watt tube amp on all the HF bands. But say something wrong and some autistic boomer will correct you. Sort of like gun culture.
>>
>>100167452
Many of the HAM's etc come from military etc bootlicker backgrounds, so it is kinda given. The hackerish sort of subculture mostly moved elsewhere.
>>
>>100168788
>It doesn't matter what the root issue is
>Don't you have better things to do than trying to troll AARP members
Again, you don't understand this conversation at all, where in the world did you get the idea that voice comms is the only use for radio frequencies? Don't be retarded.
>>
>>100168849
It doesn't matter what kind of communications you are attempting on the ham frequencies without a license. You put a target on your back for the autistic boomer hams to come looking for you if those are the kinds of activities you engage in. The previous advice "just use another frequency bro" still stands. You haven't given any good justification for why it needs to be those specific frequencies you need to do such activities on other than the law gives you the sads and makes you want to cry and you think boomer hams are bootlickers. Utterly retarded logic.
>>
>>100168657
Yes and ddosing one server affects that one server. Ddosing the fucking air affects everyone. And the entire context of OPs post is him wanting to yell the nigger word into his baofeng.
>>
>>100168878
> The previous advice "just use another frequency bro" still stands.
Which frequencies? The ones allocated for commercial, governmental, or restricted power civilian use? The entire spectrum is regulated, HAMs just happen to be jannies over a portion of it, they aren't the only ones.
>You haven't given any good justification for why it needs to be those specific frequencies
I don't need any, and neither do, nor does anyone else... Try to provide justification for the extent to which government regulates radio without licking boot... let's see how retarded you sound.
>>
>>100168904
>the entire context of OPs post is him wanting to yell the nigger word into his baofeng.
lol no...

t. op
>>
>>100168904
>Ddosing the fucking air affects everyone.
Like those massive towers that broadcast ice spice and post malone on fm bands? I guess ddosing radio is ok if you have a license, so I can just get one of those right? Oh wait...

"THE FCC IS NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR NEW FM COMMERCIAL BROADCAST STATIONS AT THE PRESENT TIME."
>>
>>100168995
>I don't need any, and neither do, nor does anyone else... Try to provide justification for the extent to which government regulates radio without licking boot... let's see how retarded you sound.
Just remember anon I'm not the guy telling you not to do illegal shit on the radio. I'm the guy telling you how to avoid getting caught doing it. Let your impotent rage at the "ham jannies" guide you to making decisions that end you up in court because they sicced the glowies on you. You're beyond retarded and lack the common sense needed to do crimes and get away with it.
>>
>>100167452
>I recently learned it's federally illegal to jam signals on your own private land in the USA, even if the transmission does not extend beyond the bounds of your property... what the actual fuck
Because the FCC literally "owns" the spectrum.
>>
>>100169083
>even if the transmission does not extend beyond the bounds of your property
How do you ensure that this is the case at all times? Conditions could change causing your piece of shit chink jammer you feel entitled to own to go beyond the "bounds of your property" giving them cause to investigate. Feds aren't just going to show up on your property looking for one if nobody complained about it.
>>
>>100168824
Over and out nigger.
>>
>>100169100
>Dodge challenger hellcats can go 200mph
>How can you ensure that they drive within safe speed limits on public roads at all times?
>Conditions could change causing you to press the pedal on that sports car you feel entitled to own all the way down and exceed the speed limit
Should possession of dodge challenger hellcats be illegal? What about if you drive them within the speed limit and obey all traffic laws? What if you drive them 200mph on a closed course on private land?

The problem with jammers is that they are legal to possess but not legal to operate. It would be like having a hellcat but not being allowed to start the engine just because you could potentially break the law out on the street with it.
>>
>>100169100
yeah and a pig COULD grow wings and fly past my window causing the FAA to possibly get involved too. that'd be something wouldn't it?
>>
File: 1709217685995048.png (9 KB, 868x935)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>100169180
I heard a hellcat over there, I'm going to call up my buddies and see if they heard it and then triangulate the location based on where they heard the exhaust noise coming from. THEN WE'LL CALL THE COPS AND THEY CAN ARREST YOU FOR DRIVING THAT HELLCAT THAT YOU LEGALLY BOUGHT LMAO! LETS GO HAMBROS! ROGER WILCO! OVER AND OUT!
>>
>>100169180
Well you're not allowed to use a jammer to transmit on licensed frequencies at all. The same way you can't buy a Dodge Challenger Hellcat and decide you're going to drive it through a shopping mall. Not going beyond the bounds of your property is only a hypothetical way you could get away with it. It doesn't make it right in the eyes of the law. But once that signal gets a bit of lift and whoever is authorized to transmit on that frequency takes note of the interference you could have a problem on your hands.

>>100169183
If I picked up FM stations from Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam, and Thailand here at my home in the Philippines, not to mention on some days signals from Manila that aren't usually good are perfectly audible with stereo sound and everything, then I'd say there's a good chance your shitty little jammer's range could vary depending on the conditions on any random day.
>>
>>100169239
>my home in the Philippines
Congrats, you are now done participating in this discussion.
>>
>>100169280
Well anon I'm an American living here. I'm an autist with a bit of an interest in radio.
>>
>>100169303
>I'm an autist
I gathered that much, the fixation on adhering to rules and regulations gave it away. Best of luck finding a monkey girlfriend over there.
>>
>>100167624
>Normalize calling them cocksuckers from within your car so they can't find you.

Genuinely made me laugh anon, thanks
>>
>>100168110
and that shit's regulated as fuck retard. It's just the user never sees it because the phone companies deal with all of it.
>>
>>100169353
I'm married already. I wouldn't say I have a fixation on adhering to rules as much as I do an interest in what happens when you don't. When I was younger I liked listening to the two pirate FM stations I could find in my local area. They didn't get caught but I read a lot about what was going on with pirate radio all over the US and a lot of them did. I am a bit fascinated by the stories of what happens to retards with cell jammers. The FCC cares much more about this than any of the other stuff we discussed in this thread. They will be on your ass far faster for disrupting cell service than they will if you say nigger over and over for hours on ham radio or set up a FM pirate radio station. It's their highest priority yet it's damn near impossible to stop the chink shit responsible from coming into the country. I think any kind of jamming is retard behavior that serves no useful purpose legal or illegal anyway.

>>100167624
>Normalize calling them cocksuckers from within your car so they can't find you.
Depends on if you keep doing it over and over or not. They only need to get lucky once.
>>
>>100167452
>Why are HAMs such bootlicking faggots?
always were, anon.
> They are like avatarfagging hall monitors. Were they always this way?
some are that way. this is why you never give a real callsign.
> I remember hearing all these cool stories about the "old days" of pirate radio stations and local access tv when I was a kid in the early 90's
yeah but they were never legal. local access tv? is usually licensed but i have seen unlicensed broadcasts before on UHF band. people are now getting into digital tv piracy using relatively expensive encoders and modulators.
>or was there some kind of legislation/funding that gave the fcc more enforcement capability?
no. nothing has changed much.
> I recently learned it's federally illegal to jam signals on your own private land in the USA,
that isn't going to stop anyone (and doesn't).

>>100167822
> zoomers truly are this fucking retarded
and also highly embarrassing.

>>100168206
> turns up the power on my amp and jams your boomer channel with high frequency tones for hours at a time
nothing personal, negro.

>>100169411
>t's just the user never sees it because the phone companies deal with all of it.
not really the phone companies but the equipment manufacturers supplying the telcos manage all of it. all telcos do is license bandwidth to use from the government.
>It's just the user never sees it
most people know how spectrum licensing works (except zoomer retards - apparently).
>>
>>100168525
>z-zoom-ACK!
Anyone younger than boomers know how to stream live on the internet, which gives you far more reach with far less investment required. Instead of a license and FCC restrictions, it's a free account and an internet connection.
>>
>>100169618
But what skills do you learn from doing that?
>>
>>100169625
>but what skills-
Grindsetfags are physically incapable of comprehending the idea of a hobby that's done for entertainment rather than work
Live streaming involves a lot of digital media production knowledge that you develop, if you really need a hobby to have some sort of "value".
>>
>>100169502
>that isn't going to stop anyone (and doesn't).
It's what the feds care about most. The cell companies have engineers that are going to investigate the source of any interference so half the work of the feds is already done for them. They just tell them where to go. They ask the person responsible for the interference to stop it or else. In almost all cases they comply.

>>100169712
Copy pasting a key into OBS and setting a few switches so you can put your ugly mug on youtube and twitch isn't digital media production knowledge.
>>
>>100169729
>The cell companies have engineers that are going to investigate the source of any interference so half the work of the feds is already done for them.
still not going to stop anyone.
>>
>>100169787
The feds showing up at their door will though. Let's pull up some examples:

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/how-one-dallas-store-owner-illegally-blocked-her-employees-calls
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/man-put-cell-phone-jammer-in-car-to-stop-driver-calls-fcc-says/
https://www.cnet.com/culture/science-teacher-suspended-for-using-jammer-to-shut-up-students-cell-phones/
https://wirelessestimator.com/articles/2021/authorities-disable-signal-jamming-devices-in-california-fcc-could-fine-resident-112500/

I could probably find more if I kept digging
>>
>>100168667
>ww3 emp pulse blocks your path
>>
>>100168688
Wait…you didn’t pay your fee???
This is 2MW-HAP, over
>>
>>100167624
kek, I remember you having posted such anecdotes already
>>
>>100169618
Jokes on you zoomiefag. I'm a 47yo ham operator (got my general class license at 20 in 1997 when you actually needed a brain) and I still custom build PCs and stream.
>>
>>100168688
holy shit you're retarded.
with radio only one person can be broadcasting on a frequency at one time. Your computer is capable of maintaining thousands of internet connections at once, without affecting anyone else's connection until some ISP's router maxes out it's resources, then they'll just throttle everyone, but everyone will still be able to use the internet.

And the wifi on your router is incapable of being configured in a way to break FCC regulations.
>>
>>100169810
Pretty based. I remember hearing about certain circumstances where places like movie theaters had cell jammers installed. My main concern is Stingrays.
>>
>>100168688
>Butthurt third worldie seething they can't into email verification on /biz/
>>
>>100169874
you got a loicense for that callsign?
>>
>>100169810
>https://wirelessestimator.com/articles/2021/authorities-disable-signal-jamming-devices-in-california-fcc-could-fine-resident-112500/

I want to mention that in this specific case the person with the jammer wasn't home and the police obtained a warrant to bust inside the house and disable it. Operating a jammer can really make things get that serious for you. Lots of anons not just in this thread but in other threads act like it's no big deal but it can be.
>>
>>100167452
In my city they make websites to document the atrocities of operators. These old farts have nothing better to do.
>>
>>100170220
>running a jammer in a crowded neighborhood unattended for extended periods of time
can't outlaw being a retard
>>
>>100169618
Yes. A 70 IQ nog can stream his looting spree to a man in New Zealand. None of this requires talent on behalf of the user. The talent resides solely with the technology provider.
>>
>>100169859
empp?
>>
>>100167624
Fucking lmao.
>>
>>100169859
if you have an antenna attached to your ham gear when the EMP hits wouldn't it fry them just the same?
>>
>>100170447
EMPs are really over hyped. There was a report by FEMA, or some other government agency, that found electronics only have like a 10% chance of getting fried in an EMP.
Granted it'd still be a big deal in aggregate, because you'd definetely have some important shit die, but the odds of any one piece of electronics dying is actually pretty small.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA484672.pdf
>>
>>100168525
Why read an entire book when the same information could be conveyed in a 2 minute tutorial video?
>>
>>100170516
You're ngmi anon. You'll only ever be on the same level as the hordes of retards who think a two minute video is enough and never understand the complex intricacies of any topic. This is why I'm employed. Sure, my place of employment already has an IT guy but he can't just watch a video on YouTube and learn how to do my whole job. Specializing in something makes you more useful when that specific thing is what's needed.
>>
If society collapsed do you think they'd still follow the rules and form little vigilante groups to go out into the wasteland and track you down if you didn't play along?
>>
Ok retard. Be a pirate, fuck around, find out. What next? You will wonder why there is speed limits?
>>
>>100170554
It's weird how many people want to larp like this is an inevitability.
>>
>>100170548
Except that 90 of the contents of most books is just bloat and useless, repeated filler. You can typically learn about 70% of all of the information a book contains by reading its wikipedia page. Books are a vestigial boomerism.
>>
>>100170578
cringe bait
>>
>>100170582
Cope. Think of all the time you wasted reading all of that filler material.
>>
>>100170511
also there was a massive CME in 1989 and besides EM interference and Quebec losing power for 9 hours, basically nothing happened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm
>>
>>100170595
wow anon. I am very impressed. You must be an expert in many things then, I can only imagine how many tiktoks you could watch in the time it takes to read the critique of pure reason.
>>
>>100170688
>1989
Yeah but now everything is stored on flash storage

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.