[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm building a big house so I can put 1000+ of this inside. And I'm going to get rich by selling you guys obscure videos/books from the old internet when everything gotten taken down or deleted.
>>
>>100169517
Neat
>>
>>100169517
dude storage is the easy part

collecting the actual data is what sucks. takes forever to find obscure media and the few douchebags who host, like on soul seek, are massive faggots.
>>
>>100169517
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8SgayyCv8
>>
>>100169517
Hilarious, really.
Some people even claim phones take up space. Imagine mentally living in a tent, lmfao.
>Oh noez! Not those 20 cubic centimeters! Where am I supposed to put my toilet paper stash now???
>>
>>100169517
>seagate
Dies after 3 years
Literally worse storage company there is.
It's the MSI of storage solutions
>>
>>100169776
What do you think is a good replacement?
>>
>>100169517
I'm way ahead of you, buddy. Welcome to the party
>>
File: 1712257065948234.gif (2.74 MB, 440x314)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB GIF
>>100169897
HGST SAS Drives
Even though my workstations don't use spinning hard drives anymore, my backup solutions still do, and all of it is driven by the HGST and Toshiba SAS drives.
I did not have a single failure in the last 6 years and that's something.
>>
i was thinking the same of storing all these in my grandma house but there might be some thieves issue
>>
How are you going to serve all this data?
Http? With the mitm cloudflare?
>>
>>100169641
and if you start now that race is already lost imho most p2p stuff is gone and forums are going extinct
>>
>>100171826
its gone from the internet, not from home storage owners

and they wont dare to put it back on the net
>>
>>100169517
Gonna get the government to raid you.
>>
>>100169776
Is there any proof to this? Seagate is the one company I hear people equally praising to high heavens and absolutely despising and I never know who to believe and Ive never seen any objectively measurable evidence towards either. I've never had a Seagate fail on me, but I've only ever had like 4 drives from them, 2x 2tb Barracudas, an 8tb 7E8 Exos and now i also have the same 18tb X18 from OPs pic. That's anecdotal evidence so I'm not counting it. Obviously Im hoping the former camp is right but im not emotionally attached to storage solutions either.
>>
>>100172532
Seagates "fail" more in that they develop bad sectors and media defects more readily as opposed to WD.
When WDs fail, they really die where the drive is often inaccessible, but less often.
In either case the AFR isn't significant enough for companies to care with seagate being so much cheaper, they expect HDD failure in any form. Consumers don't so any higher chance of any failure is a non-starter even if it's small. That probably explains the sentiment.
>>
>>100171826
what stuff exactly? Movies? Music? Games? What?
>>
>>100169641
Soulseek people that private their shit and ask for something in exchange are the biggest faggots. Piracy is about free sharing, not bartering.
>>
Where do you intend to find all this stuff? Storage is always the easy part. Access to information and automating the system a little harder. The bitch of this shit is organizing it all. Automation can take care of most simple shit but organizing obscure stuff is a fucking headache.
>>
>>100173749
that drives me nuts.

I feel AMAZING when I see someone grab something from my machine. It feels like I contributed.
>>
>>100172927
This is like 2013 baby boomer logic.

Western Digital makes okay stuff, they also make really shady shit like when they released a line of NAS drives that were SMR lmao. It's like selling a sports car with a 150hp 4.cylinder in it.

Seagate has had okay products for home consumer like barracudas which are hands down the best home drives.

I'm actually loving Toshiba n300 nas drives atm
>>
>>100173859
There's a sense of joy knowing they'll enjoy listening to something that you do as well. I'd rather just buy the CD, rip it myself, and upload it to everyone for free just to spite those private faggots. Congrats, now your private share is useless.
>>
>>100173890
It's more like what goes on with enterprise drives
Personally I don't touch consumer/NAS drives, they are piss poor value.
There is nothing you can say to convince me that paying $130 for some 8TB SMR barracuda is worth it over a recertified 14TB WD
>>
>>100169642
TPBP
There's no way you'll be allowed to keep anything that gets purged from the Internet.
>but how will they know
They already know.
>>
>>100174243
>In Japan
>Countryside
>less than 50 people live here
They could do jack shit to me.
>>
I get used enterprise drives Ultrastars
None died on me so far in use but a couple have arrived DOA. I just ebay refund them. There's sites that do refurbs/recerts but they always wipe the hours, and charge more, I'd rather see how much life is really on them. No warranties but I don't care.
>>
>>100174500
>There's sites that do refurbs/recerts but they always wipe the hours
Recerts are manufacturer supplied, the seller isn't wiping them
>>
>>100170006
>HGST
Are they still good after being acquired by WD? I heard they're called WD Ultrastar now.

I wanted to get copies of basic forums like all the text from Reddit, Twitter, and 4chan but couldn't find them after the first two got taken down. No idea if any of the 4chan archives offer text-only backups but I don't want any dataset with images.
>>
>>100169517
>big house
>1000 drives

bro my house isn't even that big and I'm pretty sure I could fit over 1k drives in my basement.
>>
File: 1707657635611139s.jpg (7 KB, 250x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
will I regret getting a cheap barracuda SMR?
I don't have a NAS or anything like that, I just need a lot of spaces for movies, coom stuff and game installers
>>
>>100169517
>And I'm going to get rich by selling you guys
I will DMCA takedown you just because you're a douche trying to sell pirated shit which should be free. You're like animeout and their retarded "Use your credit card on Pateron" to get access to their pirated content, instead of taking crypto and keeping it anonymous. Fuck you.
>>
>>100169517
Downloading at 300KBps from Archive.org is the real enchilada.
>>
And when you run out of space, then what? Put more houses in a giant house rack?
>>
>>100173859
Me too but it's because I reencode 128kbps mp3s to FLAC and these idiots can never tell the difference. I also used to do that on private trackers.
>>
>>100173749
>let forigners into your community
>be shocked they dont have your values
>keep letting more in
>now they outnumber you
>your culture is subverted
>howdidthishappen
>>
>>100169517
Get rich after paying for those 1000+ drives? That'll take a while.
>>
>>100174884
not if it's just discrete cold storage
they suck when they're being used in shit like arrays where you're striping data across all the drives. Shit will slow to a fucking crawl using those.
>>
>>100175008
every time I've run out of storage the answer is always to buy more storage
>>
>>100169517
You can probably store the whole old internet on a single one of those.
>>
>>100175094
>brain damaged /pol/troon literally can't shut the fuck up about his tard fantasies, regardless of the actual topic.
Huh.
>>
>>100174768
Don't know about the acquisition, but you know what they say. If the API doesn't work, parse the fucking website.
>>
>>100169517
>And I'm going to get rich by selling you guys obscure videos/books from the old internet when everything gotten taken down or deleted.
I'll buy one copy then give it to everyone else for free :)
>>
>>100176799
>I'll spend huge money archiving stuff so that some strangers could rip me off
Have fun, bro. I hope you won't go broke so soon knowing how costly it is to maintain the whole system.
>>
>>100169517
if the internet gets deleted how will you get paid? Paper money will be phased out in the future.
Will you accept gold bullion?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.