[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is the utility of this (or other shells) over Bash? I know Bash is standard and I know it pretty well already. I have been using this for a few months now and am still having trouble understanding why I would use this as my daily shell.
>>
It's essentially an improved bash for interactive use. It's also extremely riceable if you're bored.
>>
zsh is bash for proprietary os's due to it's license
>>
ricetranny choice, there's nothing of value in it that bash cannot do
>>
>>100169691
More easily configured tab completion really. The main reason I use it is for history completion, type the first couple letters of a command you’ve previously used and press up and it’ll only give you the relevant history instead of everything.

You can do everything in bash with scripts and shit, but zsh offers it out of the box to some extent. It also offers a few niceties when scripting but they’re not that useful because you’re either writing scripts for bash or sh unless it’s only for personal use.
>>
>>100169891
You can use Ctrl + r to search history in bash.
>>
>>100169972
I used this only a few times in my entire life, I only need commands that I wrote <10min ago
>>
>>100169691
Better completion and guessing. Fish remembers my last used command *in this directory* which is amazing
>>
>>100170110
the way bash completion works, implementing it per directory would literally be few extra lines, people who need these things are too retardee to do it and go for shitty shells instead, curious
>>
>>100170133
Here's the thing though, I don't know the inmer workings of 'how bash works'. Or how PulseAudio works. If the shell was really that good it'd have directory level history. It's still there for compatability and legacy reasons, I get that.
>>
>>100169865
... because the best features have been ported to Bash.

>>100170052
I used to be like you. Now I use it all the time, often for stuff I wrote months ago. Sure, I can write scripts or add functions to my rc file, but using the shell history is often more convenient.
Examples include logging into this or that database, recreating the dev setup after rebooting but only when working on a particular project, re-running an ad-hoc data munging pipeline which I won't need after next week...
Fuzzy-searching my history with fzf makes all of that a breeze.
>>
>>100170668
Forgot to add: when I want to get fancy, I can append comments/tags to a command line and then search for those.
>>
File: bonnet.png (225 KB, 387x516)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>100169691
It's for hipsters.
>>
idk
i use fish for better history, completion and interactive quick scripting without having to fuck with settings and addons. zsh seems like the same thing but with an extra step
>>
>>100170668
>... because the best features have been ported to Bash.
thanks for beta testing
>>
>>100169691
because over 50% of my time on my pc is spent in the terminal, so I'd like to have quality of life features like auto complete (I use fish btw)
>>
I use it because of "oh my zsh". It just werks.
>>
>>100172831
Same. Don't give a shit about the inner workings. OMZ is just too practical for non autistic customization so I use zsh.
>>
>>100169691
Powershell mogs

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.