[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: image.jpg (2.58 MB, 4032x3024)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
My laptop won’t turn on. Ever since I changed to the Opera browser my laptop has been having various problems. This started around a week ago where my laptop would be come hot and the fan would start running uncontrollably after I turn the browser on for around 5 minutes My laptop would also run out of battery less then 2 hours after I charged it to full capacity . The image shows the fan and a metal thing and what I did was unscrew the metal thing clean it (and it was very dusty). I then blew the fan and put the metal thing back to its position. I then turned the laptop on and the light to show it’s on would turn on for less than 2 seconds and then off. Please help
>>
Buy a macbook
>>
>>100176534
have you tried fresh thermal paste?
>>
>>100176534
Did you re-apply the thermal paste. The metal thing is a heatsink and it absorbs the heat away from the cpu using the thermal paste as a bridge. If it isn't applied properly, as with your situation, the cpu will overheat and turn off. You will need to clean up the current application of thermal paste from the heatsink and CPU before applying a new glob of it (try using Arctic mx-4, very common). Keep in mind that every time the heatsink is taken off, you need to apply new thermal paste. Applying new thermal paste also helps with fan speeds as the thermal paste can age and lose thermal conductivity, which will make the fan ramp up as it needs to work harder to make up for it. Opera may be hogging system resources but the effects of that are not inherently bad for your computer. Any heavy application will make your system heat up and as a result the fan will try to cool it down. Worst case scenario is that you had the battery plugged in as you did this task and shorted something but that is not likely.
>>
I’m the OP here but idk how to reply (first time using the site) his thermal paste grey in colour? And do I apply it to where the grey colour is? Btw the black thing on top of the fan , what is it and is it supposed to be floating a little?
>>
File: 40858438345.jpg (23 KB, 894x399)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>100177921
look for this on ebay
you need 90+% rubbing alcohol to remove the old stuff. a thin coat, do not overdo it. more is not better and will cause it to overheat. use youtube tutorials.
>>
>>100176534
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Also, does the laptop keep restarting or does it shut down right after you start it? If it's restarting, leave it running for a while, it may just be doing RAM training.
>>100177921
>Btw the black thing on top of the fan , what is it
It isolates the top of the motherboard from any metal part that may be above it in order to prevent short circuits.
>is it supposed to be floating a little?
Yeah, it doesn't really matter. Usually, there is some glue or double sided tape to hold it in place, but it doesn't really have to be attached securely.
>>100177921
>first time using the site
Why did you even come here for tech support? This place isn't exactly known for being competent nor helpful.
>>
File: lol.png (314 KB, 734x432)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>
op here it doesnt start but the light to show its on turn on for a few seconds and then turns off
>>
File: image.jpg (2.84 MB, 4032x3024)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
The guy /op with the problem here: do I apply the thermal paste here?
>>
>>100178082
kek you definitely don't need alcohol just wipe it off with a few tissues
>>
>>100178781
no it should be under that fan
>>
>>100178781
unplug the battery
hold power button for 10 seconds
plug battery back in
>>
>>100176534
Mine did this when its GPU just fucking died
Tell me, are the fans turning? I believe laptops also shut off when the fans don't turn on

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.