[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714071036096621.png (12 KB, 867x433)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
I want to implement an error detecting and correcting system to keep my data perpetually.

I would need it to work through the deaths of individual drive, and I should be able to varry the amount of redundancy

It would also be great to know where there is already error correction in my data

Do y'all know any good resources, programs, etc?

Thanks
>Preceding text from original /diy/ thread

What are the limits of RAID? What can it not do?

The drives I bought in anticipation are 4× 5 TB portable HDDs, so they kinda wouldn't work as NAS, but I would be the only one accessing the data
>>
>>100178708
>y'all
>reddit spacing
>>
File: 1617437279898.jpg (66 KB, 792x792)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Fortunately, I am not from reddit
>>
>>100178708
there already is a solution to everything you want, perhaps with the exception of a high budget graph Uis to showcase things, but this is a set it and forget it system for most people so there is a reason why keeping it simple makes sense and stable

everything depends on your use case, learn about each RAID type and then data redundancy systems in general
>>
File: 1706220342402224.jpg (33 KB, 540x720)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>100178708
>y'all
>>
>>100178708
>portable HDD
they are shit.
>>
>>100181707
Just because the mechanical connection is insecure, or are there other reasons?
>>
>>100178708
use file based error correction (PAR2 for example) and back that up 3-2-1 style
>>
>>100178708
ZFS
>>
>>100184387
> ZFS
is such a broken pile of shit that people are better off burning their data onto CDs that already suffer from bitrot.
>>
>>100178708
Just use btrfs, it handles literally everything you describe.

>What are the limits of RAID?
The main thing is that RAID is primarily about surviving disk failures, not about data integrity. For example, in a RAID1 scenario, you have two copies of data, but if one copy gets silently altered, there's no way to tell which copy is the good one. There's stuff like dm-integrity that tries to give RAID these types of properties, but you really should just use the correct tool for the job, a checksumming filesystem with redundancy.
>>
Interesting topic, bump.
>>
>>100178708
RAID volumes get corrupted all the time. Backups and parity files can save your ass. par2cmd has been forked a few times but mostly unsupported. Would love to see 7zip incorporate it so the arguments of 7zip vs rar would go away.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.