[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: very bothered.png (1.62 MB, 856x1264)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>Buy HP laptop
>20 months later the fucking fan just stops working for no discernible reason and now the laptop shuts down after 30 minutes from overheating

Is this shit for real? What's a fairly cheap modern non apple laptop that has a decent processor and will last for 5 years and not 1 1/2?
>>
I'm not convinced anything like that still exists unfortunately, now that so many people use tablets instead of laptops
>>
>>100182394
You must be joking. The only people I see using tablets are genuinely mentally-retarded and physically disgusting. Even imagining the sensation of doing anything more than calling people on a touchscreen makes my skin crawl
>>
>>100182186
Don’t you have some sort if warranty? In my country you’d be able to return it after just 20 months.
I’ve had several HP computers, and I like them because in general they’re the ones that always give you the most bang fof your bucks. But you need to do a clean install because of the bloatware.
>>
>>100182186
Anything Dell is going to be cheap plastic that breaks within a year. A lot of the fan problems I've seen are caused by the heat sink fins being fucked up. Say what you want about Apple, but I genuinely like the fact that the case is metal. The passive cooling system is stupid and ineffective, and the fact that they solder the RAM to the mb is annoying, but it does ensure that the components last longer. Just, y'know, use the EFI they have for dual-booting to run Linux.
>>100182503
>The only people I see using tablets are genuinely mentally-retarded and physically disgusting
These are the kinds of people who enjoy getting fingerprints all over their screen. Just doesn't make any fucking sense using a tablet computer.
>>
>>100182186
ALWAYS buy used business grade laptops. When it comes to consumer shit, they're all equally bad. Toshiba Thinkpad. Dell Latitide, HP EliteBook are the main ones you want.
I use a 10+ year old Elitebook and I've never had to replace anything on it except the harddrive.
>>
>>100182186
Don't buy consumer-level laptops.
If you need to get work done, look for enterprise laptops as those aren't nearly as cucked as consumer-level ones.
But if you just want a shitpost machine then go to a pawn shop, find a laptop from 10 years ago, and restore it.
>>
>>100182828
>ALWAYS buy used business grade laptops.
Do this. These laptops are regularly sent in for warranty repairs. Any part that's slightly damaged, any crack in the plastic, everything, all of it is replaced with new and refurbished parts on a yearly basis. Even cheaper are educational laptops. Same rules apply, but people don't want laptops that disgusting teenagers have touched.
>>
>>100182828
How 2 get a laptop with enough cores
>>
>>100184157
how many is enough?
Besides, unless it changed the last few years, laptops rarely have more than 4 cores. My work laptop is a top of the line elitebook from a few years ago and it only has 4 cores with multi-threading.
>>
>>100182828
Business laptops are good, but I don't see any being sold that have good GPUs like Nvidia A1000 and above. Where do you find them?
>>
>>100184305
idk, I've never needed a laptop with discrete graphics.
>>
>>100184273
Is 4 cores enough to play games?
I got a 2 core one and I struggled
>>
>>100185108
probably not, my desktop was a 4 core 1st gen ryzen and it could play older games, but it was getting to be the minimum spec for modern games and I'm sure a laptop one would be much worse because of the shitty cooling.

For games just get a separate desktop or console unless you're just gonna be playing older stuff like STALKER.
>>
laptops suck except macbooks, just the way it is with the current technology. once ARM based ones from other manufacturers catch up it will be a different story but until then theres only one choice when you want actually good hardware. Gaming laptops are very capable but they are portable desktops and not actual laptops, since the battery lasts like one hour. The non-macbooks with good battery life have shitty performance. So yeah either wait for ARM or bite the bullet and get mac.
stuff like the XPS is probably fine but since you are asking for "cheap" the macbook air is your only choice
>>
>>100182186
Unironically the new M3 macbooks
t. Windowsfag
I'll never use them but you can't beat the battery life and (lack of) heat output

If you want to play vidya then buy a gaming laptop but don't expect to play intensive games for more than 30 mins-to-1 hour unplugged
>>
>>100182186
Why not try to fix it? I know you shouldn't have to but it could save you some bucks and you'll learn a few things along the way. It's probably a broken fan, or a fuckup on your operating systems part (I've had to reinstall or use third party programs to fix fan issues like yours, maybe try an ubuntu live usb first to see if it's really the problem).
>>
>>100182828
Ironically the cheapest, shittiest laptops you could find are also good because they don't generate as much heat so it would last as long as a business laptop.
The downside is that it's the cheapest, shittiest laptop.
>>
>>100182186
A HP Elitebook, or HP Dragonfly, but the latter only if you have money to burn.

Consumer laptops are all garbage, and you’re best off spending a bit more to get something marketed for business users- because those are the ones who will pitch a fit if their equipment sucks, and make their employer drop the contract with Lenovo/Dell/HP/etc. And for what its worth, despite your experience, HP laptops have the benefit of being the most-serviceable among those three: If you want to upgrade anything, just turn a couple captive screws and you can lift off the bottom of an Elitebook to swap out the battery, RAM, SSD, WiFi/LTE modules, etc., and they even sell spares if yours is out of warranty and have youtube tutorials if you have any trouble with any of that.
>>
>>100182186
HP laptops used to have this shit design where the fan flow entered/exited from the bottom of the laptop. Is the fan filled with gunk? If so, clean it.
>>
>>100182186
>Buy HP
Rookie mistake

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.