[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: icq.png (320 KB, 780x572)
320 KB
320 KB PNG
Will we ever get good instant messaging again?

Soulful software with a lot of real people who aren't total faggots, not fragmented over half a dozen services?
>>
>>100183064
Where are you going to find those people?
They went out of production decades ago.
The software reflects the nature of its users.
>>
>>100183064
Matrix has clients that look exactly like that and a large userbase. But let me guess, you won't use it because the jews are behind it. Of course the jews totally weren't behind ICQ and Skype am I right?
>>
>>100183064
no. instant messaging was replaced entirely by SMS and eventually other messaging services like discord that run on phones. running an IM client on your desktop computer when you come home is an antiquated concept. you just @ping people now, any time, any where.
another thing smartphones destroyed.
>>
>>100183292
Take your meds, Matrix only has programmer trannies
>>
>>100183064
You'd need a time machine. Bringing back ICQ, AIM, and other IM platforms will just make them filled with poos and wokes.
>>
no because pajeets have mandated everything turn into webapps deal with it chud
>>
Because the nu-internet is centralized, so now IM is divided between normies who don't care how shit the service is (Discord) and autists who refuse to leave their hug boxes (IRC).
>>
>>100183257
>The software reflects the nature of its users.
I beg to differ, the yids have been gaslighting us for years to accept bad software ("minimalism") and the younger generations finally fell for it because their parents had no moral compass.

>>100183310
>instant messaging was replaced entirely by SMS
Another good point.
>>
>>100183257
>The software reflects the nature of its users.
no, not all discord users are trannies
>>
>>100183415
stop begging, pajeet. Get a job.
>>
>>100183316
Not a single person of their core dev team is trans, you can literally look it up yourself. Them being larping britbongs is the main issue of the whole project.
>>
>>100183443
Read my post again, programmer trannies, not tranny programmers.
>>
>>100183443
bongers are ethnic trannies so it's not really wrong
>>
>>100183415
>>100183442
Bot posts
>>
>>100183461
You stink, Sukdeep.
>>
>>100183486
Okay, now stop that and write me a list of at least 10 green vegetables. Make it short and don't be redundant.
>>
>>100183514
gpt post
>>
If someone can create an IM web app where you can generate an account link to instantly talk to someone with, then maybe it can come back. Think something like tox but web app version and easier to use with no IP leaks.

The main thing with all of these apps, is the friction thats needed just to talk to multiple people. Everyone has their own preferred app and no one wants to have 10 apps to talk with people.
>>
>>100183641
>If someone can create an IM web app where you can generate an account link to instantly talk to someone with
So literally Matrix? Nobody uses that feature tho.
>>
>>100183689
Matrix is horrible, but if you can send me a link and I can chat with you simply by clicking it, then you'd have what I am talking about but I doubt it.
>>
>>100183718
Too lazy but you can definitely do it on element, you can even set up call links I think on call.element.io or something like that
>>
>>100183791
That's jitsi btw. So, naturally, they can't make anything good and they just rebrand some other thing. Also if that feature existed, it would be trivial to show me, so I'm just going to assume it doesn't.
>>
>>100183861
>That's jitsi btw
It's not, they made it and it's still in fucking beta 5 years later
>>
>>100183861
As far as I'm aware other anon is smoking crack, I've never seen or heard of that feature in matrix. Closest thing you're getting to that is XMPP anonymous login, but any admin worth their entropy is going to limit communications to a single host (ie. homeserver, server, domain) because of how easily abusable it is in a federated network.
>>
>>100184035
anon
https://web-docs.element.dev/Element%20Web/jitsi.html
>>
>>100183316
Unemployed lazy retard
>>
>>100184135
correction, im wrong 1:1 is through the client, huh
>>
>>100184154
ywnbaw
>>
>>100184179
Fucking mind broken nigger, holy shit
>>
File: 1703244782339453.png (22 KB, 171x171)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>100184213
ywNbaw
>>
>>100184274
I agree, I'm a fat old racist man and happy about it. You will never be super-100 IQ.
>>
>>100184135
>>100184171
Shitsi is used in the release client, element call is some new native shit
>>
>>100183064
Good instant messaging would rely on good people to instant message in the first place OP, which suffice to say there aren't many to go around, in perpetuity. So I'm gonna say no on your first question.

As far as software alone, people set aside, personally I've really grown to like XMPP, it has its learning curves and gotchas but overall I'd say it's the best, or at least better than Matrix.
>>
>>100184316
despite being wrong, good luck with any non element matrix users.
>>
>>100183064
Yes, but you need:

1- Friends
2- Smartphone
3- A job to pay phone plan and internet

Messaging has completed moved to mobile, what's app, Telegram, Facebook messenger, SMS.
>>
>>100184408
That's the whole point of this, if their client doesn't support it they get a link which they can just open in the browser or inside a widget if their client supports that. Effectively every matrix client gets a call function like this.
>>
>>100183064
Pidgin 3 is *soon*
>>
>>100184696
who fucking wants to do that? the people using native apps are using them for a reason. At that point is it even matrix or just an independent software that has latched itself to matrix? i don't see how thats any different to embedding jitsi in element?
>>
>>100184868
You don't even know the difference between matrix, element, jitsi and element call. They are all completely different systems retard.
>>
>>100183064
i'm working on it; sorry got stuck on a bitburner problem for a bit
>>
>>100184894
I—unfortunately—know more about matrix than you give me gredit for (like how retarded writing your reference homeserver in python is). thats besides the point though, matrix is simultaneously needlessly fragmented while also somehow managing to be concerningly centralized around gaytraps.org. if i have to open a web browser (for a service that will in practice be exclusively ran by matrix.org mind you just like vector.im) since i want to use matrix without using a web app, ie a web browser do you begin to understand the retardation?
>>
Session, Simplex and Silence.
>>
>>100183064
Not until after the destruction of the current world order.
>>
>>100185135
Keep at it!
>>
>>100183421
Kek, nice try proto-troon.
If you still continue using discord you're almost certainly dickless or about to be.
>>
>>100183064
>Will we ever get good instant messaging again?
No. Midwits can't use self hosted shit and chat for the masses has to appeal to and be usable by the lowest common denominator. Self hosted would be globally searchable if they registered into an ID system if they wished and/or people listed their chat system in email footers like they used to. The global platforms run by corporations will always be subject to the whims of corporate needs, corporate capture, etc...
>>
>>100183064
There is no such thing as soulful software. It is just your weird autistic nostalgia for old UI.
>>
>>100191848
^This. People should admit they miss their dead, dead, dead, dead, dead youth.
>>
>>100191848
Of course there's soulful software.
Steam, Photoshop, the MacOS DE all have their own soul.
>>
Non-electron Teams is ok.
>>
Why is there a need for dedicated IM services when everyone has a cell phone with unlimited SMS? Online IMs were a solution to a problem that doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>100195824
SMS is outdated and not even encrypted. That's why Apple routes it through iMessage and why everyone in Europe uses IM services like WhatsApp, Telegram or Viber and the Japanese use LINE.
>>
ICQ was horrible. MSN Messenger was miles ahead of it in every respect.
>>
>>100188915
>If you still continue using discord
I continue to use Discord because all my friends are still here after we moved from Skype. I know that's a crazy concept to a cocksucker like you to have actual friends you interact with long term.
>>
>>100195915
>not even encrypted
Neither was AIM, ICQ, MSN, etc?
SMS serves fine for most applications, and like you say if you need those extra features then iMessage, WhatsApp, etc exist.
What point are you trying to make exactly?
>>
File: msn-messenger-637x373.jpg (43 KB, 637x373)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
For me it's MSN Messenger
>>
>>100198468
He is probably a zoomer that hates SMS because its ancient and he needs encryption in all is data traffic because he thinks he is so important that everyone is spying on him and find out about his gayness.
>>
>>100200286
i wanted all my friends to get on msn so bad back in the day, but AIM was king back then and they refused to switch even though msn messenger had way more features.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.