[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (237 KB, 1502x699)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
Are there any non-pozzed alternatives to this degenerate low-life AIDS faggot ridden cesspit?
>>
Hard mode: don't say IRC
>>
>>100183453
Matrix/Element but you will come up with some dumb reasons to not use it anyway
>>
>>100183453
You can try doing what everyone did before cancerous social media came around. We somehow managed.
>>
>>100183453
you can't solve the problem because people are using discord to talk to people that talk to people who use discord, and at every node in the tree there are people using big public discord channels to track their interests
i think the software is trash personally but I still end up using it because i can't force tens of thousands of people in my extended network to switch to irc
>>
unfortunately no. best you can do is not install the software, in your browser of choice set up a profile specific to it and keep it contained away from all your shit, and set up ublock or brave filters to block their spy api's
>>
There are 10 threads on this everyday and I can't stress this enough...

Matrix sucks and until someone upgrades mumble, or we can get a revamped version of Skype, nothing will come close to discord. Discords killer feature is that it creates the environment to grow communities with very easy to use tools. I hate it, but that's just the facts.
Maybe discord has lawyers stifling any competition from open source devs or something. I can't imagine why an upgraded version of irc can't exist.
>>
>>100183453
>>100183459
>>100183616
>Matrix sucks
No it doesn't you stupid shill
>>
>>100183678
What am I shilling exactly? I didn't even mention anything that you should use because we are in a situation where everything sucks. Matrix was just a scam, making it the worst.
>>
i don't really understand the problem with discord? can't you just make your own discord server with whomever and be as racist as you please? i want to be able to type, speak, and sometimes share screens with my friends and it seems to do that all just fine and for free
>>
File: images.png (4 KB, 225x225)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
Why won't Durov just add more community features to telegram to make it more like discord?

>>100183763
>make your own discord
It's not about racism. It's about the kind of people that discord attracts. That kind of people will eventually end up in your server too. I had to delete my discord server because I got sick of dealing with people like that.
>>
>>100183800
don't you need to provide your server details to people before they can join your discord server? this issue seems platform agnostic
>>
>>100183678
is there any way to *not* make the messages e2e encrypted? Its kinda pointless IMO from something like a public server. Might protect from message scraping bots but its also trivially easy to just... pose as a user get sent the encrypted messages? With xmpp its nice that you can decide what's encrypted on a message-to-message basis
>>
Anyone here use Divolt/Revolt?

I read this the other day and got curious but haven't gotten around to trying it out:
"Divolt is a self-hosted Discord alternative ran by pirates, for pirates. Just like Discord it consists of multiple communities you can be a part of"
>>
Have you tried getting real life friends instead of continuing to be a loser?
>>
File: faggot.png (371 KB, 1677x1569)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>Have you tried getting real life friends instead of continuing to be a loser?
>>
>>100183453
you should request your data dump and see what they have on you
i did like 5 years ago and was surprised it had logs from other discords i was in, private messages. pretty much everything.
stopped using it 3ish years ago completely, but never had my account deleted. Should probably do that.
>>
>>100184024
I don't care about that. All I want is a relatively popular, fast messenger without massive snarky faggots.
>>
>>100184006
it doesn't make sense that a discord user would say that, they revel in being terminally online
>>
>>100183890
Public rooms aren't encrypted by default unless you turn it on. Only private chats are always encrypted.
>>
I use Guilded, but it has no PM search function
>>
>>100184055
strange. The public room that I'm is encrypted. Are 'rooms' the Discord analog of servers?
>>
>>100183906
Damn Divolt sounds nice. I'm going to look into it.
>>
When is someone going to create a new discord clone that is completely free and is tied within web3/block chain? Tokenized usernames, etc.
Do it, and give me a share faggot once you make a couple million dollars.
>>
File: file.png (20 KB, 512x253)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>100184146
It does, but I think it's dead.
>>
>>100184177
Niggardly post
>>
>>100184224
That's the piracy focused fork at least. The revolt itself is alive and well: https://github.com/revoltchat https://revolt.chat/
>>
>>100184115
No, rooms are channels, communities are servers. If it's encrypted then someone turned it on. Default is unencrypted.
>>
literally the only thing that matters in a messaging service is whether there are people i want to message
discord has people i want to message so i use discord
IRC, matrix and whatever else is all well and good but what's the point if nobody i know uses them?
>>
>>100184045
news flash, you are a snarky faggot, queer fag
>>
>>100184319
>NO U!
It's so tiresome.
>>
>>100183453
I hate how they don't allow public Discords to be crawled. So much knowledge there is just locked away.
I honestly prefer Reddit over it
>>
>>100184329
mad
>>
>>100183453
IRC
>>
File: 1713939567241470.jpg (23 KB, 337x426)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
are you planning to convert all of your normie friends to this non-pozzed alternative? or are you looking for a different way to talk to your friends? how are you going to coordinate the switch if you can't talk to them currently? if you can talk to them currently, why do you need an alternative? are you actually here to have this retarded question answered or are you baiting?
>>
>>100184335
No.

>>100184336
>>100183459
>>
Shitcord has become absolutely unbearable lately. Previously it at least used to let you view the channels without creating an account, but now the moment you try to join anything, it instantly spews the "you have to verify with a phone number" -screen. Why the fuck should I give a goddamn phone number to check the progress of some goddamn project on some public channel I don't intend to write anything? And why the fuck do people insist on using this piece of shit?
>>
>>100184115
What the fuck are you even asking with this question?
Discord doesn't have servers. It has communities on a single centralized server, actually originally called guilds.
Matrix rooms are federated entities, they exist on all participating homeservers (like, actual, real servers, you can actually host) equally. There is zero centralization.
Functionally a matrix room is equilevelant to an irc or d*scord channel. There is a special type of room that acts like a folder "spaces", this allows you to create d*scord-like "communities", groups of channels.

On matrix though you're better off not splintering your community into dozen rooms.

>>100184177
That's matrix, except less retarded
>>
>>100184364
The phone number thing is off by default, but server owners can turn it on and force people to verify their phone number so that users who got banned from their discord server wouldn't be able to rejoin with an alt so easily.
>>
>>100184373
>Functionally a matrix room is equilevelant to an irc or d*scord channel
this is what I was asking
>>
>>100184386
No, it isn't, the requirement for write to the channel can be turned on and off, but no matter what channel (or "server", god fucking damn the terminlogy) you try to join, it now goes by default into the "suspicious activity" mode and locks you out.
>>
>>100184024
why would it surprise you that a messaging application has messages
>>
Depends OP, what did you use it for/need out of it? You have to remember this bloated tumor has amalgamated, voice chat, video chat, live streaming, forums, a fucking game store at one point, grouped persistent chat rooms, etc, fucking Tron MCP style. The root solution is to stop wanting bloatslop and seperate out your needs into dedicated purpose made (ie better) software.
>>
>>100183453
there's this FOSS implementation of Discord's backend called "SpaceBar".

and they have clients that are patched to use a custom backend.

This made Dicksword seethe so hard that they tried to nuke them legally, not much they can do though
>>
>>100183763
>make your own discord server
>invite friends
>be racist as you please
>one friend goes rogue or someone invites somebody that doesn't belong there
>they report the server
>discord staff has access to all messages and can check everything
>server gets banned
>you get banned
>>
>>100183453
The problem is that this shit is killing off forums and everyone and their grandmother gate off everything behind their shitty discord servers.

Oh, you want the solution to this problem? come join our discord!
Oh, you want to download this file? come join our discord!
Oh, you want a key to the closed beta test? come join our discord!
Oh, you want customer service? come join our discord!

It's full of tranny mods on a power trip getting people to suck their micro dick.
>>
>>100183800
I was thinking the exact same thing then I scrolled down just a notch and read your post.
It's almost there.
>>
>>100183459
XMPP + Mumble
>>
>>100183465
>Element
>Electron

No thanks.
>>
the old age of internet is over. no more forums, no more image boards and Instant Messengers.

Stop.
Get on with the times, boomers.

t.Millenial
>>
>>100187289
That's the biggest issue with it too. That, and the fact that pisscord servers can't really be crawled and indexed, like websites. I shudder to imagine how much knowledge has just lost forever because some kind with an overinflated ego decided to gatekeep it behind his fagcord.
>>
>>100189076
some fag*
>>
>>100183459
Text: IRC, XMPP, Mumble
Voice: Mumble
Gifs: The Internet
File Share: SFTP+HTTPS literally anywhere you can reach on the internet.
>>
>>100183800
Keep your group small and invite only. This is good advice on every platform.
>>
>>100189157
gee I wonder why discord won
if mumble wasn't incompetent we could be living in a different world
>>
>>100189326
Not disputing all that. The people whom designed Dicksword first and foremost considered psychological desires, current dysfunctions, the want to have a "server" so they renamed root level channels to "servers", etc... and they made it colorful for the ADHD/Autist which is the majority of young unhealthy people. So yeah, totally makes sense.

The things I listed are just simple, just work, tiny footprint. In other words, boring. No "boosting", no upgrading to share bigger files. Just make the SFTP+HTTPS server bigger.

Nobody will convince either group to do the other groups thing and maybe that is for the best.
>>
>>100183453
The thing is that you will come back to discord as soon as you realise that there are little to no people who use those alternatives. Too bad, chuddie.
>>
>>100183453
It's either russoid telegram or tranny pisscord
Nobody uses any niche slop like matrix, irc, mumble, or whatever
>>
>>100183459
IRC, pussy.
>>
>>100190671
>Nobody uses any niche slop like matrix, irc, mumble, or whatever
Wrong.
>>
>>100190930
Your 3 tranny basement dweller friends don't count
>>
>>100191013
Try 200K users (https://netsplit.de/), you dumb nigger.
>>
>>100191027
>200k fat antisocial basement dwellers
wow
>>
anything you can host on your own, so
Matrix
Mattermost
Spacebar
Revolt
Zulip
>>
>>100183453
Yes, email.
>>
>>100183465
Mossadware and bloatware.
>>
>>100190671
>russoid telegram
I guess I'm gonna stick to that. Know of any cool English speaking channels/groups/whatever I can join? Something interest based? Maybe vidya stuff? I know the chink shit general had one, and it was really chill, but I'm not sure if it is still active/how active it is.
>>
>>100183459
internet relay chat
>>
>>100191227
Do you talk to your friends about everything via email? Are you a convict?
>>
I've joined a few discord servers and it's just full of mentally ill retards. I don't wanna read about some Autists hobbies in a tech support server. All chat room type apps are shit.
>>
>>100190671
>Nobody uses
Obvious trolling belongs in /b/
>>
>>100183453
>qtox for wide ims
>teamspeak 5 beta for voice/groupchats
self host or you're retarded
>>
>>100184275
>e2e encrypted DMs coming "soon"
no
>>
>>100192700
Also I just checked their project board on Discord (https://github.com/orgs/revoltchat/projects/3/views/1) and encrypted messaging isn't listed anywhere.
>>
>>100183453
No and the reason is because no one else will use it. You could create the objectively best chat/voice app but what matters is the userbase
>>
>>100192700
You can do that in any application using libotr. irssi-otr is an example of an IRC client that can do E2EE without the server having any knowledge or capability of it. No need to trust a server to manage your keys for you.
>>
>>100183459
I could say XMPP or Matrix + Mumble, but IRC really just works the best for text communication. Trying to cram all your stuff into one thing means compromising on the basics. Not because you can't make software that does it all well, just because it hasn't been done so far. I suspect the people who knew how to make a good IRC client like irssi are still using it / working on it, and everyone making clients for XMPP or Matrix are now blood with no clue how to make something fast, reliable, and customizable.
>>100183890
This is one of Matrix's biggest flaws and everyone defends it. Encryption fucks up and fails, your messages can't go through, the *one* thing your software needed to primarily do now fails. If you've sent something urgent, people could literally die because of this. e.g. "my car collapsed on me in the garage, help" becomes "can't decrypt this message". Hope you had a fallback way to message someone and can try it fast enough. Also if you try to invite them to a new unencrypted room they have to see and accept the invite before even seeing your message in there, which is way too much for some people. I've used Matrix with older family members and the UX confuses them, I have to go to their machine and point them to an invite and say to accept it, so once again someone could die, a meeting could be missed, you could be fired, etc. because of shitty broken user-hostile software.
I do still use Matrix (and XMPP and IRC) daily but it's not nearly as good as it ought to be. Never used Discord before, but I wouldn't take a proprietary chat seriously as an option.
>>
>>100183453
I don't think there is.
>>
File: Low Poly High Poly.jpg (89 KB, 640x320)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>100184338
Is that an ape escape helmet
>>
signal
>>
>>100183459
IRS
>>
>>100196286
The problem in mumble is no persistent backlog of messages, unless I'm a retard.
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 200x200)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>100183453
>Are there any non-pozzed alternatives
[[[MATRIX]]] via Element.

https://element.io/

Anyone proposing anything other then [[[MATRIX]]] is retarded it is federated!
>>
>>100186843
if I ask them to delete some specific messages by providing channel id and message id, will they view the whole channel or only the specific message i request to be deleted
>>
id like to make a simple like php server the key that makes new chat services good is a running log, and clients can sync/read the days events while its convenient to them while sitting on the toilet or laying in bed , all other old tech besides the 3 telegram/discord/matrix lack this functionality requireing clients to be connected 24/7 or miss out on content, a simple webserver can handle this bonus points for using a proxy to load links and provide the files locally hosted cause no one wants to accidenty click an evil link or worse the link is auto loaded by the client
>>
>>100200910
also mainly this changed happened cause phones constantly losing connection
>>
>>100200910
Run on sentence mfer, not reading that.
>>
>>100200888
you've got something to hide, goy? surely you didn't post something problematic or illegal in your discord, right?
>>
>>100183453
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Friends-in-Your-20s
>>
>>100183459
mIRC

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.