[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 34-236-359-03.jpg (116 KB, 1280x960)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Hey, I'm an engineering student who is looking for a high end work/school laptop. I have already done a bit of shopping around but I figured that I should ask you guys before making any hard decisions.

My previous laptop (An acer Helios 500 i7 2070-S MQ model) simply was not able to handle the 3d modeling software that I was working with and ended up dying within 2 years of using it. AFAIK it was either a battery issue or a stick of ram got jostled out of place, however because on this particular model of laptop you are required to remove the entire motherboard in order to access the ram I ended up voiding the warranty while I was messing around with it. Either way, it would take literal hours to render CAD files and when you're busy working and doing school you cant be waiting for hours while you're laptop is busy.

Long story short I am considering getting the ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 2023 edition. Yes I am aware that it is in fact a whacky ass laptop, and its expensive as all hell (I have a decent paying job, and I would much rather buy an expensive laptop and not have to worry for 5 years than get something I am not satisfied with), but I am used to 2 monitors and it should be able to handle even higher end 3d modeling if my understanding of GPU to 3d modeling is correct.

Am I on the right track or should I be looking elsewhere? I am also looking to get a secondary (significantly cheaper) laptop for personal/gaming purposes, and the fact that laptops give me a ton of anxiety, especially when your school/job is completely dependent on a singular device. (Yes I have a desktop dont murder me)
>>
For professional workloads why would you go GeForce to begin with? You'd be better off getting a laptop with a Quadro card. Personally being a ThinkFag, I'd say any P series ThinkPad, not whatever ASUS garbage you were looking at. In any case just google 'nvidia professional mobile workstations' and at the bottom they list a bunch of vendors, click on one and you get a product line comparison as far as the GPU goes.
>>
>>100183743
Fair enough. I had considered thinkpad however part of the reason why I was looking at that laptop in particular was because of its size to power ratio in general. It has a shit ton of screen space for being so thin, on top of having a higher end GPU.

Part of the reason why I was going with a GeForce GPU was they seem to have all around good benchmarks for multitasking purposes, not just gaming, whereas (from what i have seen) a lot of Quadro cards seem to be overpriced, especially in laptops.
>>
>>100183743
did a quick search and it appears as if all of the higher end ThinkPads are using GeForce GPUs and not quadros. The non GeForce laptops seem to be significantly below what I am looking for in regards to power.
>>
>>100183822
Maybe not the right person then, I'm not knowledgeable in the laptop market in particular, and I also don't care much about size or thinness, I like my laptops rugged and repairable, I use an old T530 for reference. That being said, I would generally avoid ASUS, their customer service isn't spectacular, and neither is their overall support in general. Let alone how gimmicky the thing looks.
>>
>>100183887
Ah, glad I linked you the page then, again I'm speaking mostly from theory and intuition.
>>
>>100183945
I have used a lot of ASUS products over the years and i trust them over acer/other budget brands. That particular laptop seems to have all around good reviews from tech channels as well as some tech forums. I was considering getting an MSI laptop however MSI is both significantly more bulky and seems to have some common manufacturing errors, even in their high end laptops across all of their series (or so i have been told).

If all I needed to do was put my laptop down on a desk and leave it there for 6-8 hours a day I would probably go for a different model, however considering that I will be putting down and picking up my laptop 3-5 times a day something thinner and with more screen space is a bonus, especially when its packing the same power as other high end laptops (and it handles the heat very well from what I have seen).
>>
File: yyy.png (1.28 MB, 1017x1400)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
>>100183574
>>
>>100183822
>Part of the reason why I was going with a GeForce GPU was they seem to have all around good benchmarks for multitasking purposes, not just gaming, whereas (from what i have seen) a lot of Quadro cards seem to be overpriced, especially in laptops.
You're not wrong anon, quadro cards are fucking expensive for what they are. The latest ones provide no benefit compared to their GeForce counterparts (often have worse drivers if you can believe it) despite being higher priced
>>
>>100185404
Yea essentially. I walked in my first semester of uni 2 years ago and almost everyone had a $4k+ gaming brick. Most of the kids in my design class were using 18" laptops iirc.

>>100185472
>>
>>100183822
dell had some last gen quadros with ddr4 and should be at discount now iirc

i was on the same boat as you but i do webshit so had a lot of options and went with a cheapish ddr5 rtx gamer combo
>>
>>100183574
Getting a high end graphics card on a laptop is never worth it. The 4090 mobile version performs similarly to the 4070 desktop version, for the same price. For lower end graphics cards like 4050 and 4060 it's less noticeable and you have somewhat the same perfomance.

I'd rather buy a cheaper laptop capable of handling what you need with a 4050 or 4060 or similarly, and use the money you save on your desktop computer and desktop graphics card.

Then if you have to do it on your laptop, then you have to I guess. But I'd never buy a laptop with a graphics card more expensive than a 4060.
>>
>>100183574
Lenovo Legion 7/7i Pro with student discount, everything else is overpriced trash.
>>
>>100183743
>>100183822
Im pretty sure Dell do a a laptop with quadro that is specifically for CAD and comes with nice screen options
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-2-in-1-pcs/sr/laptops/precision-laptops
but I do also like the ASUS dual screen design
apparently it works very well, however, screen replacement is around $600, other than that i've heard positive reviews
fa/g/s hate ASUS but it's not as bad as it used to be, same as MSI, nit pick the bios or bloatware, but i don't really get the grief
>>
>>100187031
>fa/g/s hate ASUS but it's not as bad as it used to be, same as MSI, nit pick the bios or bloatware, but i don't really get the grief
Everyone hates HP but I've been using them for years. They're the cheapest and you can usually get them for like half the price of other brands. Bloatware never matters because I always do clean installs, and honestly bios isn't that important as people make it out to be.
My only annoyance has been a prebuilt HP Victus 15 I bought. It was a outlet sale and I bought the pc for the same price as the graphics card in it would've cost new (gtx 1660 super, not a great card but good enough for my use). Otherwise it had a ryzen 5600g, 2x4gb 3200 ghz ram, 512 m.2 nvme ssd, and a 550 motherboard with wifi. I removed the graphics card and use it in my main computer, and use the prebuilt as a second computer with just the 5600g graphics, which are more than good enough. So looks good, a free computer more or less with graphics enough to do light gaming. But then I switched out the case fan with a more decent fan, and afterwards I more or less always get a notice at boot that it'll shut down if I don't press enter because of having the wrong fan, which kind of sucks but it's not a biggie. And then I tried switching out the 2x4 gb 3200 ram with 2x8 16 gb 3600 ghz ram, but they got downclocked to 2666 mhz because the bios didn't support xmp. So I had to switch the ram back to 8 gb. Still enough, but the graphics would've enjoyed some more ram since the memory is shared with the 5600g.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.