[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1712416935.png (909 KB, 1834x1667)
909 KB
909 KB PNG
How would you filter open source developers?
They obviously need to meet a certain standard before contributing lines of code to kernels and security features
>>
>>100183971
>what are code to reviews
>what is automated testing
Has nothing to do with experience but with repo maintainers being lazy
>>
floss means you and me and everybody else uses what you and me and everybody else wrote

so, maybe u have to get kicked out 100%?
>>
>GNOME
Unsalvageable project.
>KDE
Warns you that plugins can run arbitrary code. In this case, it wasn't even malicious, just an odd bug caused by the Plasma 5 to 6 transition.
>xz
Ban chinks unless you know exactly who they are and are certain BEYOND A DOUBT that they can be trusted, like Felix Yan.
Also, yell at the Debian troons until they stop normalizing shitty hacky patches like the one the xz backdoor exploited.
>>
The old model of open source cannot survive because it assumed a particular human condition (being a white man).

White men have certain virtues, such as a high personal standard, and honor that made the open source model possible. Though bad actors could exist, the nature of the white man was to only contribute if he felt his contribution was worthwhile and a high standard and only in good faith.

Other races did not evolve with the same pressure of social cooperation as white men did. They don't have a built in gene telling them they need to do high quality things for the benefit of the community or that they can't betray the community for short term gain (because whites being ostracised in old times meant freezing to death in winter).

As such SHITSKINS will contribute but their contributions will be half assed, lazy, cut corners or, at worse, even be deliberately poisonous because SIR CHINA PAID ME 20 RUPEE TO BACKDOOR SIR!

Open source assumed a certain level of intelligence and trust. Nowadays 1 trillion shitskins are "contributing" to open source so they can "put it on their resume".
>>
>>100183997
>Also, yell at the Debian troons until they stop normalizing shitty hacky patches like the one the xz backdoor exploited.
you are a fucking nigger, anon. they didn't need to do anything like what your schizophrenia suggests. it literally modified modified the library, including hash checks, and hid in obfuscated form in a tarball.
>Ban chinks unless you know exactly who they are and are
NEVER work with chinks ever.
>>100184128
> Nowadays 1 trillion shitskins are "contributing" to open source so they can "put it on their resume".
that isn't happening.
>>
>>100183971
You existence don't matters.
>>
File: pajeet the dev.jpg (128 KB, 2048x742)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>100184139
>that isn't happening.
>>
>>100183971
>blames glibc
>not systemd
interesting...
>>
File: 170844453159.png (147 KB, 582x2427)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>100184240
>>
>>100184240
>>100184265
SIR do the needful and approve the PR sir!
>>
>>100184128
This. It's hilarious how quintessentially 'aryan' open source was despite the actual devs mostly being libshits. White kindness and altruism truly is a double edged sword.
>>
>>100184240
>>100184265
I fear the day a jeet realizes he can automate this pointless process using GPT and uses GPT to write an automation tool.
>>
File: automated sir.webm (3.52 MB, 872x720)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB WEBM
>>100184427
like this?
>>
>>100184128
>>100184393
Neither of you have written a line of production code in your lives.
>>
>>100184445
zero lines of production code = zero backdoors and zero bugs created

sounds good to me, I would hire them.
>>
>>100184139
>you are a fucking nigger, anon. they didn't need to do anything like what your schizophrenia suggests. it literally modified modified the library, including hash checks, and hid in obfuscated form in a tarball.
Afaik sshd doesn't depend on xz. It was a patch that Debian is using for better systemd integration. It brought systemd library that indeed has dependency on xz.
This is why Arch wasn't affected - they tend to not patch upstream packages.
>>
>>100184445
I, unfortunately, have been writing production software for 3 years now
>>
>>100184139
>it literally modified modified the library, including hash checks, and hid in obfuscated form in a tarball.
And without the sshd patch, the entire exploit did literally nothing at all. Arch, for example, shipped the backdoored versions of xz, but was immune to the backdoor because it doesn't ship OpenSSH with the patch applied.
As it turns out, the developers of the software know better than distro jannies!
>>
>>100183971
Make repos private and only share code to paying customers or people that can prove to have downloaded and used your software.
>>
>>100184496
>crack software to make it look like it was bought
>get into the repo
>git clone
>repost this everywhere from behind 7 proxies
no refunds proprietranny
>>
>>100184496
there should be some sort of FOSS contributor passport

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.