[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: m1_macbookAir.jpg (27 KB, 640x480)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
considering switching to a Macbook and iPhone as my only devices because i'm sick of technology. please advise. the prices are somewhat high but they seem like fast and seamless experiences regardless. serious replies only
>>
>>100188602
>8gig ram by default
>costs extra 200 burgers for 16

lol

lmao even
>>
>>100188661
it does seem lame but macos looks like it uses RAM more effectively
>>
>>100188602
>I'm sick of technology
>I want to buy even more expensive toys
>serious replies only
>>
>>100188702
not serious
>>
>>100188602
>the prices are somewhat high
my SE2 can do everything a 15 pro max can do.
i don't care for fany ass cameras.
my m1 macbook air can do everything super fast.
my ipad 9th generation can do everything.
>>
>>100188699
yeah, windows computers do a lot of RAM uploads.
>>
>>100188602
Buy refurbished. Stick to Apple Silicon. Also this >>100188737
>>
>>100188602
Just use Windows (11 Home) and Samsung (OneUI) and stop being autistic. You don't need to shell out money for apple slop, you just need to stop being autistic and falling for debloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooting and privacyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy memes
>>
>>100188661
Applel should sell 16GB models with only 8GB accessible and sell an software upgrade package for $200, making ram downloading a reality.
>>
>>100188602
I will advise. You are buying a laptop set to become an aluminum brick due to the soldered ssd.
>>
>>100188728
You are the one serious. I actually intend to ditch smartphones and go dumbphone once my current phone dies. Only thing missing would be emails, but I'm not the ceo of world, so perhaps I will be fine checking them once a month.
An actual person sick of technology, would want less of of it in his life not simply changing brand he consooomes.
>>
>>100188839
dumbphones today are basically trash.
>>
>>100188839
* you are the one not serious
>>
>>100188808
in like 7 years, which by then you'd want to upgrade anyway
>>
>>100188792
It pains me to say this would be better than the current situation. One can only hope that LPCAMM might see useinn future Macs.
>>
>>100188602
>no numpad
trash, simple as
>>
>>100189084
the numpad on a laptop is the worst example of the numpad. it offsets the keyboard from the display. it's retarded.
>>
File: lmao.png (20 KB, 752x252)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>100188699
jej
>>
>>100188780
>Unironically shilling OneUI
>>
>>100188602
Been using Mac+iPhones as daily drivers for years and would never go back. I still use Linux and Windows or programming and games, but 99% of the screen time is spent looking at Apple screens. Using a Mac will kind of depend on what you want to do with it, but Android is in such a sorry state that I can't think of any use case for it.
>>
>>100189962
skill issue
>>
>>100188780
What's up cuck?
>>
>>100188780
both of those recommendations are absolute shit
>>
>>100188602
i've switched from ~8 years of linux+android, i miss ability to rice on occasion and linux gaming did step up (thx valve) while mac's stagnated (until arm, i think it'll get better with gptk, also emulators are fire for arm), other than that not going back
>>
i don't really like how GUI heavy macOS is. it has a lot of drag-and-drop stuff.
>>
>>100189084
buy an ad
>>
>>100188602
You can buy a good Motorola phones and a good Lenovo or Dell laptop with half that money and never worry about changing the default settings and everything will just work these days.
>>
>>100188869
Ssds can fail pretty quickly, especially with swap. It's gonna die within 2-3 years max unless it's the 1tb with 16gb, but that costs so much for so little. For the price of those upgrades you would've had a larger, faster ssd and more ram in any other laptop.
>>
>>100188602
just get a piece of shit pre-built PC for like 150 bucks if you hate technology. connect it to your TV or a handout shit monitor from somebody and do the tasks you need to do. i use my grandma's crt and a 1080p benq monitor that my dad bought 10 years ago, before i started using crt i also had my mom's 32 inch 1080p tv, it has a scart port so i can just plug any old thing if i please. since windows 11 is so shit, anything that can run windows 10 decently well is good to go for another fucking decade. you can also put linux or even a hackintosh if you get the right pre-built. im recommending a pre-built because you will probably fail at the task of putting together a pc miserably. my phone is an xperia i got for 100 bucks in a pawnshop, i love it because it has huge bezels i can grip real tight though im gonna repair a handout iphone SE, i just need a phone for calls maps and music, i wanted to get a CAT S22 flip but repairing that dumpster fire costs less. overally i cant care for age or performance of tech these days, everything works perfectly fine for me and will probably work perfectly fine for you because i doubt you do work or anything productive on the computer because i sure don't and i do also hate technology.
>>
>considering buying a macbook
you don't belong here. fuck off and get your itoy
>>
>>100192221
why would you want to belong on /g/ lol
>>
>>100188602
i'm having the exact same idea. out of curiosity, how old are you OP? i'm wondering if it's an age thing
>>
>>100188602
I broke my laptop (stepped on it by accident) so picked up the spare Mac I had lying around.
Not recommended.
The "it just works" is a lie, and a terrible one at that (windows is somehow more stable and functional, Pop OS far more than either of them).
Oh, aside from regular apps like my browser (Vivaldi and Chromium) regularly crashing, performance isn't really that high, devices don't even function (can't even use my external HDS properly), and steam is a joke (had no issues on Linux).
Be it for business, uni, or recreational - TERRIBLE SYSTEM.

I never thought I'd say this but... Just get Windows.
Can't wait to fix my laptop to drop this Mac shit.
>>
>>100188602

Walmart MacBook Air
iPhone SE

It’s a pretty good combination
>>
>>100188602
>i’m sick of technology
>so i want to buy two high end pieces of tech and learn a new ecosystem
i’m sick of technology that’s why all i have a $100 thinkpad and a nokia dumbphone.
>>
>>100188602
kek
lifelong windows user here and I'm thinking about doing the same. or just biting the bullet and using linux and not just accepting lesser quality programs.
windows 11 is straight trash and the worst OS ever. I say this as someone who has used windows ME and windows vista.
>>
>>100188602
dialy apple shill thread
one would think they'd get it by now
>>
>>100193052
i'm almost 29. i've had linux and assembled a few desktops. i think i just dgaf anymore. real life is more interesting
>>
>>100194169
yeah, i think it's an age thing. i'm almost 28 and i agree. i've had enough of "tech" as a hobby
>>
>>100188780
OneUI is probably one of the worst user interfaces ever made
>>
>>100194686
Tech has evolved into this scam of an industry. Everything needs to be a subscription, high end tech just means how little ports and upgradeability they can take away from you.
I gave up the rat race and just stuck with a used thinkpad and an iphone se 2
>>
>>100188602
>sick of technology
>buys macbook and iphone for those TickTock videos
kys faggot
you know that the west is in good condition when you can buy overpriced social media and interwebz browsing machine.
>>
>>100189962
HO - LY shit what is that?! my whole system doesnt yuse more then 5.5 gigs of ram and i literally just started using loonix and dont know shit about it. talk about efficiency
>>
>>100188780
This is the worst bait i have ever seen
>>
>>100188602
iphone is good macbook good if never going to need windows programs. integration between computer and phone useless.
>>
>>100188602
Get them direct from Apple and be prepared to use the 14-day no-questions-asked return policy
And don’t get the default amount of ram
Get as much as you think you’ll need
Table stakes for being an Apple fan is bitching about how low the default RAM amounts are
>>
>>100193201
sounds like a you problem
>>
>>100188602
yea macOS and iOS is the most advanced operating system in the world
and their hardwares are also the best as well
you're finally awake
>>
>>100188737
>fany ass cameras
you like fanny ass cameras my dude?
>>
only reason not to use apple devices is muh games
>>
>>100191770
>Ssds can fail pretty quickly, especially with swap. It's gonna die within 2-3 years max
I'm so sorry to hear that you're retarded.
>>
>>100198890
>icuck calls others retarded
Oh the irony
>>
>>100188760
If you're looking at the base spec M1 Air, it's now available at Walmart for less than what Apple charges for a refurb.
>>
>>100188602
Depends on what you do on your laptop. Just browsing the internet and watching movies? You don't need a macbook, a laptop at half the price, even if weaker, will be enough for you.

Same with the phone, only using it for calls, messaging apps, social media and youtube, maybe utility apps like maps? A cheap Motorola is enough for you performance-wise, the only concern now is if you need a good camera, if that's the case then yes, you'll want a more expensive phone.

Sure, go with Apples expensive, walled garden, but ask yourself if you even need such an expensive experience in a first place
>>
>>100188602
Kill yourself faggot

And yes, that is serious advice.
>>
File: ssd.jpg (112 KB, 888x578)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>100191770
They can fail sure, but it's not going to be be because of the Apple memory optimization and how it handles memory allocation. It's too much to get into here, but Apple does a really good job at utilizing the SSD for swap. The earlier reports might have been a software error that was fixed combined with the type of person that typically uses MacBooks for media creation. If you are passing large objects between the RAM and SSD at a high rate, you will utilize the swap simply because of object size.

I use my MacBook exclusively for programming so my usage is probably more typical for a realistic work scenario. At the typical 600 TBW per 512GB for current TLC (I assume that's the quality of the NAND, but it could be MLC) it's just a stupid concern.

pic related my usage after 7 months with vs, cursor, docker and browser typically as the main memory hogs, I don't know why the power on hours is wrong I use it for about 8 hours a day five times per week
>>
>>100188602
>>>/fa/
>>
>>100188602
This is me right now, debating whether to stick with PC (been pc all my life) or switch to M3Max with 128gb for afterfx work. Frustrated with my current 3700x/2060s performance
>>
>>100188602
The real reason to get iShit at home for stability is really simple. I work in a support role. In the last 4 years, 2 times we have had major multi-site down events due to what I could only assume were bad BIOS updates from a certain huge laptop vendor. Multiple hardware replacements, sent to vendor repair centers, ending with RMAs and users without systems for weeks relying on old shit spares. This stuff just doesn't happen with Macs. There are tons of MacOS updates that break shit, but it's always like a usb hub not working or in the rare case having to wipe your entire system due to a bad update but everything working fine after that.
>>
>>100188602
I decided to try the ecosystem but while I like macbooks (the OS isn't as good as linux but nicer than windows besides compatibility), the iphone doesn't really have any major integration that matters to me (copy paste is basically the only thing but I don't frequently copy things between them that doesn't go to a cloud already, outside of that is only slightly faster internet access point config). Ipad is nice with macbook for sidecar/universal control though.
>>
>>100204541
>There are tons of MacOS updates that break shit
never had that
>>
>>100188699
How does a computer "use" RAM more effectively? If I open a 9GB photoshop file and I have 8GB of RAM, where does the extra gigabyte go??
>>
>>100190933
The whole OS seems designed around using the trackpad as much as possible. Most common keyboard shortcuts don't work on Mac OS and it's even missing some features like functioning home/end keys while editing text. Fucking spacebar to open files are you kidding me
>>
>>100202320
You're right about the failing nands being mostly from media creation, so most people here wouldn't need to worry about it, and I appreciate you actually giving your experience with it. I still wouldn't support a company that does these sorts of practices, especially when I can get much more price to performance at least in ram and storage. I just think it's unfortunate what people are willing to give up.
>>
>>100188602
People on /g/ spend most of their time talking about the best way to do stuff instead of actually doing stuff, which is why there are endless X vs Y threads. For all Apple products are mediocre, they do just work.
>>100205113
>and it's even missing some features like functioning home/end keys while editing text.
MacOS uses the same bindings as readline and emacs for editing text. Ctrl-a and Ctrl-e, in that instance. It's been that way since NeXTSTEP. I mostly use the terminal and emacs, so it was a pleasant surprise. The annoying part for me is that Apple allow individual applications to change this.
>Fucking spacebar to open files
It's actually worse than that. Opening a file in finder is Command+down-arrow. Space previews the file. I believe GNOME also started doing in nautilus when they implemented 'sushi' in 3.0.
>>
>>100193243
pretty poorfag combination
>>
File: 1558941760372.jpg (87 KB, 500x522)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>100188602
If the Apple ecosystem does it for you sure, nobody's stopping you.
For me a computer/smartphone should be like a swiss army knife, it's got to do everything.
I simply don't like the way Apple devices are supposed to be used, I've played around with hackintoshes and no just no, it ain't for me.

>>100188869
They can die a lot sooner than that thanks to excessive swap writes.
And there's a chip that fails and sends 12V directly to the NANDs killing them.
>>
File: IMG_1866.png (21 KB, 128x128)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>100188602
if you want a seamless experience, then yes, choose apple.

this is the wrong board/website to ask though...
>>
>>100207383
>They can die a lot sooner than that thanks to excessive swap writes.
no they can't. you literally don't know what you're talking about. drives last for a long time now.
>>
>>100207513
Do you think Apple uses magic NAND chips with more write cycles than the rest of the industry?
>>
>>100207545
i think you overestimate the issue greatly
>>
>>100207562
In a sense yes, because most people that use a Macbook Air with a 250GB SSD do so little on it they could have just bought a tablet instead.
All of my friends bought an M1 Air when it came out because they were relatively cheap on sale, all they do on their laptop is open Facebook and watch Netflix...
>>
>>100207595
unless you're rendering 4k video every day for like 3 years, there's no reason to give a shit about this. the drive will last longer than the battery or other random shit in the computer.
>>
>>100205078
swap space
>>
>>100207619
For most people probably, but there's another problem that can kill the SSD as I mentioned in my original post.
It should not be soldered in the first place, there is literally zero practical reason to do so, unlike the RAM in the case of the Apple Silicon powered computers.
>>
16-Core CPU
40-Core GPU
48GB Unified Memory
1TB SSD Storage1

16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display2
Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, headphone jack, MagSafe 3 port
Magic Keyboard with Touch ID
Force Touch trackpad
140W USB-C Power Adapter

$3,999.00
>>
>>100207735
>It should not be soldered in the first place, there is literally zero practical reason to do so, unlike the RAM in the case of the Apple Silicon powered computers.
it's a lower cost, more reliable, and faster
>>
>>100208039
It's cheaper for Apple not for you, the rest is bullshit.
>>
>>100208080
False.
>>
>>100188602
>because i'm sick of technology
That's exactly why I only use linux and avoid having to use my phone all I can, flamewar-kun.
>>
>>100209037
>because i'm sick of technology
>That's exactly why I only use linux
lmao
>>
File: 3417868235235.png (192 KB, 642x346)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>100209037
>flamewar-kun
i've not a clue what you're referring to...
>>
>>100188602
>considering switching to a Macbook and iPhone as my only devices because i'm sick of technology.

Cows love the taste of grass.
>>
>>100188780
bruh
>>
>>100188602
You're sick of technology, so your solution is to buy more technology.
I hope you can see the problem with this plan.
>>
>>100188602
They're good.

I would still suggest keeping a Windows computer as your primary PC since macOS can't do everything.
>>
>>100188602
I did and things worked out.
Worst part is the price, but if you look at all the other "premium" PCs from Dell and the like, they're the equally or MORE expensive than macbooks and they also have soldered ram.
>>
It's a fine combo. I only own a macbook, iphone, and a kindle. It's the only computer tech I own.
>>
>>100211722
/g/'s approach to techinology is instead of making life easier, is to make things more convoluted. With Mac & iPhone, shit just works together nicely.
>>
>>100188602
>buying more technology because you're sick of it
do burgers really?
>>
yes
>>
File: asslish.jpg (174 KB, 1000x1000)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>100188602
>>100212881
>>100211722
Take advice from these guys, OP. Don't put more technology in your life. Go Macbook & iPhone and dump your Windows/Linux & Android garbage.

Life will be much more pleasant. If you want to put complexity bullshit back in, you can live in the terminal and install everything from source.
>>
if you have 16gb of ram, in linux you can try out mac os using:
https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
I think you can get it working in WSL, but if not maybe in VMware or Virtual box.
Dual boot is the best option if you got another SSD or use one disk if you don't mind fixing grub when windows could hijack it.
personally I tried but then I couldn't create an account because I don't have a phone number (i'm 24, I would buy a phone but I'm Canadian and live with my parents with a $30 a month gov check, and the cheapest plan costs $35+tax).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.