[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 618ejnuEG6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (98 KB, 1189x952)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
So are these little minimemes any good?
>>
>>100192828
modern hardware is overpowered for media consumption and postan on 4chinz, even a low-end phone or tablet is enough, anything else will do just fine, yes, even for rudimentary work
>>
you can de-case a steam deck and fit it inside almost any shitbox tupperware you can find at goodwill
>>
>>100192828
They'd unironically be enough for like 90 percent of users, at least if they have a decent APU like 8600g making you able to play light gaming.
I think it's a shame that they're not more common honestly, would make a lot less electronic waste.
>>
>>100192828
They are certainly better than what 90$ of this board uses as a daily-driver.
>>
>>100193835
so they're upgradable?
>>
>>100192828
they're good but I priced it out and building your own ultra budget pc is still better. you're getting an underspecced everything anyways. just buy a shit microatx board and air cooler etc etc and you will end up with something a bit bigger but way more powerful and quieter.
>>
n100 replaced my plex server
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (31 KB, 450x326)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
They're cool but ultimately they're kind of in a weird middle ground between laptops and desktops. They not as powerful as desktops or as portable as laptops so their use case is pretty niche. Pretty much only make sense for office spaces or HTPCs, but I think most people would be better off with a laptop.
>>
File: mini-servers-rack.png (2.91 MB, 949x1600)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB PNG
>>100194504
to an extent, they are. they're more upgradeable than SBCs but less upgradeable than an actual tower. You can't fit any GPUs in them but you upgrade the RAM and CPU. I'm looking to get one of these like the Lenovo ThinkCentre M series, mostly just to mess around with having my own server rack setup.
>>
>>100194624
yeah idk. I feel the same way. get a laptop and you have a real portable pc. they aren't even expensive. or build your own desktop and get value/power.

it's like very specifically you need something like 5% cheaper than a laptop that will never travel or get upgraded.
>>
>>100194692
These things are really useful and begging to be upcycled.
You can run one as a light home server, buy a bunch to set up a home cluster, and the older ones are old enough to run Windows 7 for legacy programs without needing a workaround for drivers.
They're also plenty common since offices bought them in bulk in the 2010s and have been phasing them out for newer models, so the used market is flooded with them.
>>
>>100194826
processors are so much faster than this now even your most basic modern cpu is going to dunk all over this shit and run cooler, quieter, smaller. you won't even save money.
>>
>>100194793
They're really for low power, long running use cases where you need more compete than a RPI.
>>
>>100194848
If I ever decide to start a home cluster I'll just install Debian on all of them. Maybe practice some Ansible and Infra-as-Code on them. Some of the recent M-series PCs are going for like $150 a pop lmao.
>>100194826
the point is to have a home cluster for computing. these used stuff goes for <$200 a pop usually and I don't have to worry about building them. I'll just use them until they give out due to hardware issues or maybe pick apart one and frankenstein it. If you told a member of the MIT labs in the 90s that there are computers the size of a lunchbox that can run multithreaded stuff and stack them to form a cluster/server rack, they'll be salivating at it.
>>
>>100192828
all the downsides of a laptop
with none of the advantages
>>
>>100192828
Could be a nice opnsense machine if it had 2 ports
Sure, router on a stick setup is possible but that's kinda gay
>>
>>100194848
Yep. That's why i bought a couple of n100 and n305.
>>
>>100193835
>They'd unironically be enough for like 90 percent of users
Yes this is true, but only if they were running Linux not Windows
90% get filtered by Linux though so it'll never happen
They'll be better off buying Chromebooks of similar or lesser power because at least Google set up proprietary Linux with an app store for them so they don't have to use scary Linux
>>
>>100194963
>all the downsides of a laptop
>with none of the advantages
They are smaller than laptops so can be stashed in places like under TVs or in a cupboard
They can be plugged in to power 24/7 without having a spicy pillow situation develop
Yes you can remove laptop batteries usually, but modern laptops often have 2nd internal batteries for hot swapping the external one which is more annoying to remove.
>>
Are there any usb-c powered ones?
>>
>minimeme
CUTE
>>
>>100194504
I replaced displayport/wifi card with an ethernet NIC in a thinkcentre but it required using UEFITool to disable the BIOS whitelist
>>
>>100192828
At least they don't shove a dGPU in it and turn it into a portable mcrowave like most laptop.
>>
>>100195158
>They can be plugged in to power 24/7 without having a spicy pillow situation develop
You mean features like Lenovo Legion's Conservation mode doesn't stop this pillow shit? Laptop was supposed to pull directly from the adapter if a certain charge level was reached.
>>
>>100195218
It should but it's still just another thing to worry about
You can use these little NUCs or similar for 3+ years in place no worries but using a laptop for 3 years straight there's always going to be that little thought in the back of your head telling you to check the internal battery
>>
>>100194504
Most people never upgrade their computers. I purposely never buy future proofed and just buy the best for the price, because future proofing is expensive and you're better off just buying better parts or saving that money. If you can upgrade the ram and ssd easy then that's great, I don't really think people need more upgrade possibilities, but if they sold them at low prices then you'd probably be better off just buying a new one.
The mac mini is like this, you can't open it or upgrade it, but apparently the ram and ssd is soldered on so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>100195158
I have a ton of these at work and I think they work fine. Helps that they don't take up that much desktop space, and they're more than powerful enough for my use.
>>
>>100195279
I've been really tempted to get one as a silent browsing / terminal machine, they would fly with Linux
But I already have a hand me down SFF PC from work on my desk next to a gaming PC plus others I got on ebay running as servers / HTPC etc. None with mobile CPUs, all full fat CPUs. Oh well. Maybe they'll stay useful longer this way
>>
>>100192828
waste of money, also likely chinkdoored

but you do you anon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.