[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm 30. Is it too late to become a l33t hacker computer programmer wizard?
>>
>>100192886
you will have to ask the hackers around here, i would not know.
>>
>>100192886
congrats on reaching old age
stay healthy, and yes, you can still learn things even if you're old it just takes longer
>>
>>100192896
Its ok anon I'm not a cia informant you can tell me
>>
>>100192886
No. I'm 30 too, but I already was. The thing that makes it hard is that when you're young, your brain learns things faster and easier. There are now new tech things that I just don't care to learn about, but my existing experience does assist with learning about some of the new shit. However, I see some new shit and realize that there are too many hoops to jump through to get it to work. Then I realize I had to jump through hoops to get my PC working the way I wanted to. It's a combination of slower learning due to being older and also being too tired to deal with the BS. I don't want to know what 40 is like.
>>
>>100192915
When you're younger you learn at the same speed, but you notice your mistakes much less. Experience and expectation are just boggling you down in this regard.
>>
>>100192915
I feel like when I was 20 I was sort of just a dumbass though that didn't want to learn anything. And all through my teens I was just a huge stoner. So I guess I feel like it's easier to learn now because I actually give a shit.
>>
>>100192886
Its never too late, start NOW!
>>
>>100192886
>guys, can humans learn things when they are about a quarter finished with their lives?
Maybe
>>
>>100192886
It is never too late but if you are a NEET you will have to first get a normal job in order to get tools , knowledge and practical skills (you can earn yourself a good start in just a year or 2). If you are not then congrats as you are already in better spot than 90% of this board. But in this case you will still need to sacrifice some of your time and efford to learn. If you can afford it, it would be a good idea to sign up for a degree in this regard. You should also decide on which things you want to focus on since you cant do everything at the same time. Pic related suggests that you might be into hardware which is not that hard but requires a little more efford and money that software (as a hardware guy myself, I think that it is worth it).
>>
>>100192886
Did TDK ever release proper docs for the CPU inside that thing? It feels like such a waste to have an entire CPU inside this accelerometer and yet only being able to run their shitty proprietary firmware.
>>
>>100192886
>I'm 30. Is it too late to become a l33t hacker computer programmer wizard?
unironically yes
>>
>>100192968
I started about 2 months ago but thanks anon
>>
>>100193018
>if you are a NEET
I wish I could afford to be one, but unfortunately, living on NEETbux seems like a rather precarious situation, and I strive for stability. The Covid lockdowns happened when I was still in high school, and they let me have a taste of the average NEET's lifestyle for a brief moment. Nowadays, I often find myself thinking back about this time, and wishing I could go back to simply enjoting effectively unlimited amounts of free time. Higher education is exhausting, and despite performing quite well compared to my peers, I feel like my upcoming prospect are rather bleak. Even if I invest as much money as I can make in some index fund, I don't think I will ever be able to confortably NEET, or at least not before I reach the age of retirement, at which point, I will finally be able to attain NEETdom in a socially acceptable way.
>>
>>100193114
You're too worried about what society thinks because you're being brainwashed by (((higher education))). The true way of the neet is to not give a fuck.
>>
File: 171353335437622.gif (536 KB, 800x792)
536 KB
536 KB GIF
>>100192886
>I'm 30. Is it too late to become a l33t hacker computer programmer wizard
No, this is the perfect time! With the coming brainchips, all you need is to fake a disability and you are set! Then you can control your Flipper Zero with your mind!
>>
>>100193172
Whoa really???!! Do you know any cool subreddits where I can learn more??
>>
>>100192886
What era are you from again?
>>
>>100193150
>The true way of the neet is to not give a fuck.
I wish I could Anon, but unfortunately, I'm too far into this to stop right now. I don't think my parents would kick me out if I just dropped out, but such a move would be met with incomprehension and disappointment, which I don't think I would handle. I will probably just keep studying, hopefully graduate with good results, and then work for the next 40 years like your average normie. My parents aren't rich, and I have two siblings, so if I ever inherit anything, it will be close to being wothless. At this point I don't think I will ever be able to afford NEETdom.
>>
>>100193190
It will take some years until this becomes a reality and you can become a real wizard, but for now you need to study the fundamentals, or you will just become a retarded wizard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sicp/
>>
>>100192886
Yeah? There isn't an age cap to when one can program.
>>
>>100193217
>>
Yes it's too late. You will always be mediocre, you will never EVER compare skill wise with anyone that started earlier than you no matter how hard you work at it, even if they are 20 years younger than you. It's like trying to join to Olympics at 50, only one person in the entire world has ever did it, you can keep dreaming but you will die a miserable failure. My suggestion is to put a few years in learning just enough to trick people then try to find a comfy management position where you don't actually have to have any viable skills besides managing a schedule.
>>
>>100192896
Then why reply, faggot?

>>100192886
No, it's not. What you do need though is a curious and mechanical mindset, and the ability to play. Getting angry that something doesn't work is useless, and the anger makes you explore real potential solutions less and learn from it less when you do solve it. If your project doesn't work, it either means you've overlooked something simple, there's something you don't understand yet, or you have a broken component and need to devise a way to determine what's faulty. And by the ability to play, I mean you're going to make a lot of useless but neat things before you make anything useful. If you're getting into electronics, you're going to start with basics like a flashlight, LED blinker or AM radio before you can learn enough to make something more interesting. For programming you'll start with things like hello world, fizzbuzz and "guess the number" games that run in a terminal.

Common pitfalls I see people get stuck in
- Deadlines. Don't set a deadline, and don't leap into a project that has them until you at least halfway know what you're doing. Having a deadline causes stress, which inhibits learning. It also makes you unwilling to curiously tinker with a thing to better understand it rather than to make it work.
- Not tinkering. If you've grown out of playing and feel like you haven't got anywhere if you set out to make one thing but ended up with it doing something else, it's going to be harder. You were trying to make a radio but got a circuit that makes a noise when you turn it on? Maybe you can figure out why it makes the noise, maybe you can't yet. But either way you've gained experience by doing it.
- Not integrating what you learn. Everything you learn should form a "mental toolbox". Just like you should know each tool you have, you want to understand each subunit and how it can be used. It may have caused your current project to fail, but it will be useful elsewhere later.
>>
>>100193224
Listen to me anon. Here's what you need to do. Go take copius amounts of LSD and then move to tibet and live with the cave people for 7 years.
>>
>>100192886
It's only too late once you're dead.
>>
>>100193301
Thanks anon that was an extreamly insightful collection of advice
>>
>>100193319
I'd rather wageslave than become some sort of new age spiritual weirdo.
>>
>>100193467
See man you're totally consumed by how society defines things
>>
>>100193488
Kek, maybe. Honestly, I just want to be left alone and have loads of free time to program, rice my Gahnoo-Looniks and tinker with electronics. But I don't have the balls to just exit society and leech from my parents till they die.
>>
>>100193114
Then if you are not a NEET you just need to save some money, start reading decent books, maybe watch a couple yt channels every now and then. If you want to get into hardware, you need to have the very basic understanding of math (which I assume you already have), some basic knowledge about electrical engineering and electronics. Visit >>>/diy/ohm and >>>/diy/mcg for more info. As for a decent book for electrical engineering, I can recommend "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz. You might achieve something without a degree but getting one would make a lot of things easier, just saying. Good luck anyways.
>>
>>100193521
I also want them same things. Life has a weird way of working out when you do what you want. That's what I've learned over these years... doing something I hate just because I "feel like I have to" never leads anywhere good..
>>
>>100193554
I'm not OP, and I already know about programming and electronics, kek.
>>
>>100193301
because i wanted to bump your thread pusscake

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.