[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Fedora 40 vs Ubuntu 24.04

What should i install?
>>
>>100193239
Mint Cinnamon.
>>
>>100193239
Fedora is THE GNOME and RedHat distro, if you think what RedHat and GNOME teams are doing is good then Fedora is the obvious choice. If you prefer Canonical's take on things like their changes to GNOME and Snaps then go for Ubuntu.
>>
Honestly Fedora seems like too much trouble
>SELinux, not sure what it does but everyone complains about it
>have to replace Fedora's Mesa, ffmpeg and maybe other shit with RPMFusion's, which I've heard can lead to issues
Fuck codec-cucked distros.
>>
>>100193289
SELinux can be easily disabled if needed, and realistically it should never cause problems. I don't know what people are crying about, I have never had SELinux interrupt my workflow and I do both programming and gaming on Fedora. RPMFusion is also not a problem at all, you just activate a proprietary repo and everything just werks. I think it's a good thing Fedora takes security seriously and ships the distro with SELinux, and that they don't give in to proprietary consoomerism and ship a completely FOSS setup until you yourself decide otherwise.
>>
>>100193322
>until you yourself decide otherwise
Yeah I'd like to decide as an option in the installer like Ubuntu does.
>>
>>100193354
If settings and terminal is scary, then you should probably stick to Ubuntu or Mint, I agree with that. Fedora will inevitably require you sometimes to use the terminal because it's less hand holdy than them and doesn't target the average user as much as they do enthusiasts, it's a leading edge distro with common updates. But it depends if OP is a newfag to linux or not.
>>
File: OpenSUSE_logo.png (136 KB, 1200x760)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>100193239
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
>>
>>100193382
I don't mind the terminal, especially if it's a one time configuration. It's the issues I've heard people have that turns me off, things like
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/zz60gf/rpmfusion_gstreamer_conflicts_in_the_kde_spin/
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/132u5gs/fedora_users_with_rpmfusion_and_mesafreeworld/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/1026y8d/it_appears_that_todays_system_updates_conflict/
If it really does happen but is fixed by waiting for RPMfusion to catch up or whatever, I can deal with that. What I'm scared of is my system breaking from an update.
>>
>>100193239
Fedora KDE

FUCK GNOME
FUCK SNAPS
>>
>>100193432
I haven't had any problems myself, in my experience most of the time it's just the user behind the keyboard being the reason for bugs. Fedora is very just werksy, as long as you don't go full autismo with making changes to conf and in terminal and don't download a billion gnome extensions you shouldn't have any issues with it's updates.
>>
>>100193392
Wish opensuse would get their dick out from btrfs and stupid shit like yast.

Just be a fucking Fedora alternative with KDE.

Plus that rbrownsuse is an absolute cuck tier faggot. Search anything opensuse and you have to read his lefty drivel.
>>
>>100193392
it got backdoored, I don't wanna
>>
>>100193544
this
I never understood the hate for snaps until today
the version of firefox they give you is completely different from the official one and it has some weird permission issues with the gpu and wayland

I would go debian but I also want to use plasma 6 soon
ubuntu would be fine without snaps but they're a massive fucking cancer
>>
>>100193239
install gentoo
>>
>>100193643
Snaps don't graphically update on Discover so they're obtuse to use on Kubuntu and Lubuntu. They have been shipping them like this for years and they do not give a shit, unless they changed it on 24.04 and I'll be pretty surprised if they did.
>>
>>100193239
8 years old GNU+Devuan Chimaera Linux
>>
>>100193581
Btrfs and Yast are great but rbrownsuse is a piece of shit
>>
>>100193544
>you have to install an unofficial repository for codecs and mesa which has root access basically
no thanks
>>
>Fedora
Why not set up arch + btrfs + snapper/timeshift
>Ubuntu
Debian
>>
Fedora is the distro that Linux himself uses
>>
>>100194193
Fedora unironically recieves GNOME updates faster than Arch
>>
>>100194193
Because leading edge is superior to rolling release, pacman is a shitshow and it's packages and updates are a mess to take care of. Arch being a DIY system also means there's zero configuration at all and no semblance of setup beyond just throwing updated vanilla packages at you. Fedora feels like a premium balanced setup around rpm+flatpak+gnome+wayland+pipewire+systemd and all of that is heavily controlled and contributed to by RedHat devs. Arch is great for small devices or super light setups that you create once and leave forever. Debian is just not intended for general use, it's packages go way too out of date, and testing is not intended for home use on a main computer.
>>
File: 1699063097.742142-.jpg (23 KB, 306x306)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>100193239
Just install Arch.
Why can't you dumb niggers learn...
>>
>>100194411
>GNOME
Why would you?
>>
>>100195103
Kool Desktop Environment is awful and made by literal faggots like Nicco
>>
>>100193581
>lefty drivel
Based. Downloading now
>>
File: ebussy.jpg (21 KB, 460x460)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>100195183
And GNOME isn't?
>>
>>100193248
/thread
>>
>>100193592
All of the unstable branches got backdoored.

Debian testing
Fedora testing
Kali (lol)
OpenSUSE tumbleweed

Arch and Gentoo had the backdoor but it wasn't engineered to target them... only a matter of time till someone makes one targetting those though.
>>
>>100194155
The fuck is wrong with you. Why are you even fucking about with codecs and bullshit?? Install the flatpak version retard, it comes with everything you need. And choose the fucking flathub one smooth brain.
>>
>>100193239
MX. It has yet to let me down.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.