[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: logo-openbsd.png (126 KB, 900x591)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
What's the equivalent of Linux's

mitigations=off

On this bad boy?
>>
Not possible. They straight up disable hyperthreading lmao.
>>
>>100193505
cuck license
>>
think you have to recompile a custom kernel with those default disabled features on
>>
>>100193519
>>100193745
Wasn't there an option available to disable them like two years ago?
>>
>>100193519
What's the benefit of hyper-threading anyway? In my experience it just skews(doubles) CPU time accounting. Great if you rent computers instances to the unsuspecting public.
>>
>>100193505
FBI=on
>>
File: file.png (93 KB, 903x266)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>I add $(curl https://make-linux-fast-again.com) into my /etc/sysconfig/grub
>>
for me its memtest=10 mitigations=auto nosmt=force
>>
>>100193836
lmfao, this can't be true. I doubt curl even runs in grub.
>>
>>100193945
gets run on grub-mkconfig, not during boot
>>
File: a_smile_for_once.png (430 KB, 396x477)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
>>100193945
lmao, this faggot has never compiled their own kernel.
>>
>>100194020
I have compiled a kernel dozens of times. Not everybody needs to know how to use your söy bootloader.
>>
and from what i can tell it just curl's "mitigations=off" which im still kind of dumbfounded the amount of sh|wget myscript.sh there is these days goto docker's official website they recommend running their fucking shell script absolutely unheard of a decade ago mocked even
>>
>>100194201
The "curl and run this shell script" retardation was originally by/for Macfags, then it somehow became normalized in Linux.
>>
>>100194105
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system_administrators_guide/ch-working_with_the_grub_2_boot_loader
>>
>>100194201
cause get this, i could a site like that and might even work for a time, and now i have users sourcing a script include by a root user...
>>
>>100194020
what happens to the site when he dies?
niggas looking pretty old
>>
File: hiroshisan.jpg (14 KB, 600x400)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>100194242
He probably isn't even 50 years of age. The world just makes you go grey haired faster than it used to because it is filled with so much shit.
>>
>>100193519
BASED
>>
>>100193505
Is always a painful experience
>>
>>100193519
>>100193761
sysctl hw.smt=1 (need to update sysctl.conf to make it permanent)
>>100193505
Add softdep and noatime to your partitions in fstab, modify your limits in login.conf, preferrably use chromium over firefox and enable acceleration. Also, make a separate partition to use for disk caching your browser https://man.openbsd.org/mount_mfs.8
>>
>>100194654
>sysctl hw.smt=1 (need to update sysctl.conf to make it permanent)
But this just enables hyperthreading, right? Is there something like this but for the mitigations?
>>
>>100193801
It's to hide memory latency on a core. The hyperthreads share an ALU but have separate registers, so if 1 thread has to wait for a memory access the other can take over executing and use the ALU. This is basically how GPUs work to hide memory latency but there's many more "hyperthreads" sharing an ALU
>>
>>100193505
>installed an OS focused on security to disable security features
I don't get it.
>>
https://isopenbsdsecu.re/mitigations/
>>
>>100194674
>Is there something like this but for the mitigations
No, because, unlike Linux, OpenBSD is a full-fledged operating system and especially one that aims to achieve autistic levels of security (how valuable that is is an entirely separate topic). And it targets that holistically, from many different angles. The latter part of my post points to most of the useful things you can do to improve performance (which is what I assume you are after)(and those in some aspects are overriding security restrictions which the project believes should be the default).
Of course, no matter what you do, it'll always be noticeably slower than almost any Linux configuration you would work with.
>>
>>100194802
I have an in-order CPU, and Linux always activates the mitigations anyways. Is there a way to know if OpenBSD is also being retarded?
>>
>>100194869
>Is there a way to know if OpenBSD is also being retarded
When it comes to anything "security"-related you can safely assume with almost certainty that it is indeed retarded kek
Either way, you can check(and modify) the sysctl values, though you'd need to look into the manpage what each one is for and which ones you may want to amend man.openbsd.org/sysctl.2
What's the chip?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.