[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Virtualbox_logo.png (170 KB, 512x512)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>The best of windows is linux (WSL)
>The best of linux is windows (wine)

When did you conclude that the OS you use does not matter?

However, the superior setup probably is windows host (HyperV has GPU partitioning and Windows has overall better graphical stack) paired with linux VM(s) (on headless ssh).
>>
>>100194533
>When did you conclude that the OS you use does not matter?
windows gets worse performance than linux
linux-on-windows gets worse performance than windows-on-linux
>>
>doesn't run MS Office
>doesn't run Photoshop
>doesn't run Autodesk shit
>doesn't run SolidWorks
Wine is only useful if you're a gaymer
>>
>>100194622
Yeah, but similarly, I wouldn't like to run two whole systems to have a sane development enviroment. I still fallback to windows since everything works. (I'm OP)
>>
>>100194574
Depends on what perfomance you are measuring. However linux on windows ensures the best compability.
>>
>>100194533
WSL2 almost makes Windows 10+ a viable UNIX like OS but it has big caveats
>access from inside Linux to the native windows filesystem through the 9p protocol is fucking dog slow
>access from Windows userspace to the WSL2 filesystem is fucking dog slow
>WSL2 filesystem is a big ass single file image inside your home directory
>Windows doesn't have a way to reclaim the space from the WSL2 filesystem image, it just grows, if you create a 15gb file in WSL2 Linux and then you delete it these 15GB will never be reclaimed
>there is no indication of the wasted space
>there are only some half assed unofficial recipes in a GitHub issue on how to reclaim the space and no guarantee that they will keep working
>the bug may be already 5 years old
Good try from Microsoft but Mac is better UNIX and I think it's better to have a dedicated Linux machine instead of WSL2.

Yes, it all sucks.
>>
>windows for general usage
>linux for servers
>macos for proper mdm
>>
>>100194696
Of course a real machine is superior to a virtual one.

I also advise to not use WSL but using traditional VMs. I use picrel with HyperV as hypervisor.
>>
>>100194757
if you're gonna use a "real" VM why not just use linux as the host OS
haha KVM go brrr
>>
>>100194837
GPU passthrough is less powerful than GPU partiioning.
>>
>>100194926
Wait, how the hell do you guys get to have GPU passthrough or GPU partitioning in a Linux VM on a Windows host ???
>>
>>100194622
I don't need any of this software.
>>
>>100194622
>>100197139
Furthermore who needs all of it? Like you're some office monkey who doesn't work in IT who spends all day typing shit in Microsoft Word yet you also need Photoslop because you handle all graphic design duties in your job too? This argument is retarded as fuck in most cases. I'll never need any of that proprietary bloat and I earn my living without it.
>>
>>100194926
>a whole gpu is less powerful than a slice of a gpu
my noggin' is joggin'
>>
>>100197217
That is not what I said. Good luck having your gpu usable in multiple OSes.

>>100197200
You may use it for hobby reasons. I don't relate totally with that anon, but I already had to use software for college that isn't available for linux like LabView and MultiSim.

>>100197139
I think that is fine. If linux works for you, keep using it. But things like glibc instability and how gimped wayland is also makes linux desktop worse than it could have been.
>>
>>100194696
>>Windows doesn't have a way to reclaim the space from the WSL2 filesystem image, it just grows, if you create a 15gb file in WSL2 Linux and then you delete it these 15GB will never be reclaimed
That's a touch concerning. Wish I knew that before using it.
>>
>>100194533
Dualboot chads just keep winning
>>
>>100197406
That was my part setup. Dualbooting is annoying since you can keep the state of the OSes. Now that I've a good amount of RAM, I don't have a reason to dualboot instead of using VMs.
>>
>>100197494
s/part/past
>>
>>100197494
>>100197512
s/can/cant

holy shit
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 224x224)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>100197406
everytime I setup a dualboot I just end up using windows
>>
File: 1714148756360.jpg (27 KB, 1293x143)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
runs all lthese so thats all taht matters.
>>
This will solve our problems
https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drivers-windows/pull/943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyQqrS09eo
>>
>>100194622
>SolidWorks
who the fuck uses that? I thought it was almost imopssible to pirate and too expensive for single users

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.