[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1697846598231856.png (1.04 MB, 1334x717)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
Minetest is literally what /g/ is. Mesecons is just better "redstone" with real electronics. Whole game is like Linux. Instead of "the game" you get game engine that supports multiple games and then you install mods, scripts, textures, whatever you want. It supports lua scripting, microcontrollers etc. There is endless amounts of technical mod packs and internet is full of forks of forks that you can just git clone and play.

Is 4chan too normie tier social media to like something like Minetest instead of normie tier Minecraft?

>>>/vg/476715318
>>
>>100353851
isn't this the game that stores each block as a row in a sqlite database
the developers must truly be galaxybrained gigachads to come up with a data structure worse than minecraft's
>>
>>100353902
The maximum coordinate (world size) is also just 32,000 blocks in width, while Minecraft Java, programmed with duct tape and spit, since the alpha days, has handled gameplay in the millions, and the maximum coordinate is 30,000,000.
>>
>>100353851
4chan got a lot of migration from reddit and related while a lot of oldfags fucked off somewhere else. 4chan is now part of the failed normalfag kind, which is mainly losers who never touched a woman coping by pretending to be better than anyone else despite sucking the most convenient and safe low-effort cock like normalfags would do, being whiny children who never put struggle to solve any problem.
An example is crying about the moderation being money grabbing faggots, but stay sure people around here will never, ever, move to another site (even less create one).
>>
>>100353902
It uses sql database.

>>100353977
Minetest world is also 64000 blocks deep. Minecraft is flat world.

>>100353980
I heard something about 4chan and tried to browse this site for Minetest content. Not a single thread was there so I make one general thread and started asking about it. I can't understand how social media site for normies this size and there was not a single thread about Minetest.
>>
>>100354009
there's nothing interesting about minetest
>>
>>100354009
64000^3 / (300000000^2 * 384)
Size matters. The volume of a minetest world is still 0.0007% the volume of a Minecraft world. That's abysmal.
>>
>>100354009
>Not a single thread was there so I make one general thread and started asking about it
According to my experience, there's a chance your thread either dies or gets raided by minecraft faggots because users around here can't stand anything that is not their personal religion. I don't usually go on /vg/ but people seems to adopt the same behavior in almost every board, which is why we get stuff like rustrannies vs Cniles or winfags vs linuxfags on /g/, it seems to me every place in this site is a divided shithole without a real culture.

You could increase you efforts and make a thread every day like an autist hoping to build a community, but i don't know how effective it would be.
>>
>>100354115
I do like I do with other open source things. If someone asks image editing software, I say, "try Gimp, it does everything people have asked to be able to do" and what they do next, isn't my problem. Now anons have chance to try Minetest and if they don't like it or even try it, not my problem. Basically I wanted to post here just because there is tiny chance that some anons starts talking about it and more people know about Minetest. If I make even one anon happy because they started new game that is free to play and doesn't have spyware included, then I succeeded.
>>
>>100354009
...and as a practical example, look at those replying to you, which is nothing but a mix of absolutist takes and negativity:
>it's not good
>it's not interesting
>the other thing is better
>let's go back giving money to microdick
There is never space for improvement or optimization, the whole site culture is crab bucket mentality.
>>
>>100354175
>the whole site culture is crab bucket mentality.
Only retarded boards which hate the topics they are centred on. That includes /g/
>>
>>100354172
would recommend posting some screenshots or videos from the game if you're gonna shill it
on /vg/ that is, here I don't think there's any point. it's not really technologically interesting.
>>
>>100354172
Then sorry about my personal vent, but yeras of being confined here drives me crazy and i really should go away. I hope you get someone interested in this game, it's been a while since i played a sandbox game maybe i could get involved in minetest.
>>
Just play GTNH.
>>
>>100354189
/g/ is too normie to have anything "technologically interesting". Anons only talk about Apple, shit on Linux etc. Also most of the anons have ability to search words with search engines and video sites. If I see something I don't know, I search what it is. In these threads, there is multiple links to have information if they want. I just played this game, had fun, thought about were to post and remembered that 4chan exists and came here to check how 4chan is now days. Apparently 4chan is now Reddit 2.0 and most of the anons play Minecraft, love Apple, hate Linux and love things like proprietary, corporations, spyware and they make online accounts with all of their information for every site they see. If tomorrow anons don't remember what Minetest was and all of my threads are pushed away to get more space for "Apple good" threads, I don't care. I just posted these and now I continue to play Minetest.
>>
>>100354317
yeah, it's pretty grim here. you could get a discussion started but it'll involve baiting and arguing with people.
>>
>>100354058
>>100354189

Here is how game play generally is >>>/vg/476720597 but it isn't limited to this. Minetest looks better than Minecraft because it has better graphics but most of the people play on really low graphics settings and default textures without shaders or anything nice looking. They are mostly limited by their old pc and not by the game engine, game, mods or something else.
>>
>>100354304
the fuck is that word soup supposed to be?
>>
You can create your single player this way: >>>/vg/476721542
>>
>>100354510
Gran Turismo : New Hampshire
>>
>>100353851
>Instead of "the game" you get
I lost the game.
>>
>>100354613
i haven't played games in ages and i'm genuinely not sure if you're being serious or not
>>
>>100354877
ahaha nah, jk
i found the juxtaposition of gran turismo with something very mundane quite humorous
>>
>>100353851
I still don't need more than b1.7.3 to be honest, though i play the game to build shit not to do redstone. Maybe i will try Classicube someday.
>>
>>100354510
https://www.gtnewhorizons.com/
>>
I 'member lordkek.us
>>
>>100353851
>if you don't like the mostly inferior clone with a 10000x smaller modding community you're a normie
Imagine being so much of a normalfag you try to peer pressure strangers on an anonymous imageboard.
Also Factorio is better for pure planning autism.
>>
>>100353977
>while Minecraft Java, programmed with duct tape and spit, since the alpha days, has handled gameplay in the millions, and the maximum coordinate is 30,000,000
No it doesn't. If you only explore 0.00001% of that the game will repeatedly crash from buffer overflows and corrupt the save file. Even worse when you use mods. Minecraft Java is one of the most unoptimized games in the world.
>>
>>100354074
The average size of a minecraft server is somewhere around 2000^2. But I guess you really need those extra trillion blocks do you. Where do you save the 144 petabyte save file anyway?
>>
>>100353851
posting in an epic bot thread

please redeem minecraft clone sars
>>
>>100355461
What you're saying is not true.
>>
>>100353851
>Minetest is literally what /g/ is.
Sadly, i have heard that they put that "code" stuff in there.
>>
>>100355645
It sadly is. Not like it would matter because no human will ever explore anywhere close to that with only vanilla tools. You highly overestimate the size of minecraft worlds.
>>
>>100355550
Your bbc folder
>>
>>100355550
In a genre of minecraft server, anarchy, players travel millions of blocks in the world to settle in a location that is near unknowable to griefers. The major example is 2b2t.org, a server whose world is old, 10 years old, and likely benefits from having more size than is actually used.
When the world is that big, it becomes possible to hide things in it.
>>
>>100355769
Proof? There are no glitches 29 Million blocks out. This is common knowledge. At most there start to be microstutters in the movement because of floating point imprecision.
>>
>>100355823
An estimate 0.06% of 2b2t has been explored as of today.
>>
File: 256k^2.png (2.72 MB, 2125x1034)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB PNG
>>100355891
The appeal is that you can explore inside that huge range of coordinates. Also 0.06% of a minecraft world is still a few times more than a Minetest world LOL
>>
>>100354613
based

>>100355333
why the fuck would anyone play that cuckfest? if you want to do busywork to achieve a whole bunch of nothing, go to an amazon warehouse and tell them you don't want to get paid
>>
>>100356001
>if you want to do busywork to achieve a whole bunch of nothing, go to an amazon warehouse and tell them you don't want to get paid
You could write-off video games as a whole with this line
>>
>>100354510
>>100354877
It would've taken you 5 seconds to search that word. You tool.
>>
>>100355823
Not to take anyone's part in this debate, but i really want to highlight the mode you chose as example.

2b2t is an unplayable shithole destroyed by griefing and bots, especially for newcomers. Anarchy servers lasting that much can cause the server to experience performance issues and bugs, anarchy servers are not your "average" server.
>>
>>100356144
So, just like 4chan. Also nowadays 2b2t's performance is pretty smooth because of Folia, a new minecraft server variant that uses separate threads for distant world regions.
>>
>>100356197
>So, just like 4chan.
Except i don't walk for 1000 km before killing a random faggot on 4chan.
>>
people just don't like the game because its not called minecraft. even my linux only friends will only play minecraft and won't even try minetest.
>>
>>100356396
Minetest isn't Minecraft, but it is a good engine base. People play Minecraft because they either play multiplayer, or they really like the specific features of Minecraft.
Obviously Minetest, even with VoxeLibre/MC2 won't be up to total feature parity.

It's a good game though, the playerbase just isn't very transferable.
>>
>>100356014
you can achieve the same results as cucktech with other minecraft mods. you just think fun is equal to muh artificial difficulty
>>
>>100353851
Why not just make a fucking chip already instead of soi'n it up?
You can design your own CPU architecture RIGHT NOW and get it made for 10K a shot at skywater
Dont have the money? Just scratch the itch with logisim
>>
>>100356024
why don't you look up the meaning of YWNBAW for us
>>
>>100357734
>"Why not just do some other things instead of what you said?"
>"You can do these other things RIGHT NOW that has nothing to do with what you wanted to do and it costs 10K
>"Dont have the money? Just use this other software instead of that software"
You sound so stupid. How about I just continue using Minetest to create and modify things I do because it is fun and really fast. Instead of paying thousands to use some boring trash software to create real world products that I can't even modify with couple of mouse clicks.
>>
>tfw there used to be a /g/ server
>>
>thread is a literal advertisement
Funny how all the bots and kids who cry "shill" at everything are dead silent when someone actually posts an advertisement as a thread.
>>
>>100353851
Does minetest support distant horizon like render distance and shaders? That's the only way I wanna play Minecraft
>>
>>100353851
>Minetest is literally what /g/ is
Minetest is a technology board full of consumer goblins on an anime website?

>Whole game is like Linux
Linux is an open world building game?

>>>/vg/476715318
Yes, that's where this thread should have stayed. Why did you make it twice?
>>
>>100353851
Minetest is dogshit that runs 10x worse than java minecrafts and is matined by literal children
>>
>>100353851
>Whole game is like Linux. Instead of "the game" you get game engine that supports multiple games and then you install mods, scripts, textures, whatever you want. It supports lua scripting, microcontrollers etc. There is endless amounts of technical mod packs and internet is full of forks of forks that you can just git clone and play.
So just like modded Java Minecraft? Open-source thing never worked in videogames. Friday Night Funkin devs tried that, but gave up anyway.
>>
Isn't bad per se. But Minecraft has many defaults that people is used to.
>>
>>100362186
Minetest is free (libre), what do they (or any other free software) gain from promoting it other than users?
>>
>>100355461
>If you only explore 0.00001% of that the game will repeatedly crash from buffer overflows and corrupt the save file.
Where did you read that?
>>
>>100355769
>>100355645
>>100355461
>>100353977
>>100355879
30 million definitely causes problems and you can just /tp to see for yourself.
I have however, had no problem whatsoever (other than very big world file-size) exploring up to ~200k blocks north in my survival world
>>
>>100357064
Go play with your babby-safe thermal/enderio, kid. Your clearly too retarded to play with gregtech
>>
>>100353902
There's no way this is real.
That's literally the most retarded way to do it.
>>
>>100355891
that would still be 0.3% of the earth's surface, ~1% of earth's land surface
>>
>>100366301
The other anons saying it's made by children aren't insulting the devs or anything, it literally is.
>>
>>100353851
minecraft's only value is that everyone plays it, and nobody plays minetest, the performance of java edition minecraft is acceptable with some mods and everyone tolerates it because it's all free
>>
>>100356001
It's about the journey not the destination.
One of the great things about minecraft is that it's relatively thin on progression. There is no pressure if you chill out and build since you are not missing on much.
Now, mods. Kitchen sink modpacks suck ass and are a brown sludge you get when you mix all the colours. Regular progression packs are too thin. Whatever you get next will always outclass what you had before, so you're never not progressing. So you get progression-brained constantly pushing you forward.

Counter-intuitively, the solution to that is adding more progression and making it slower. That makes aiming for major goals difficult, before you could go "I do this, then this, then I get what I want". Now, things you want you can't even see the road to them. You can only see one step ahead, and taking that one step is many hours. You'll make do with what you have available. Things do get obsolete but after they've been throughly used, so better make things presentable and just enjoy yourself on the way. It doesn't feel grindy, you rarely are just waiting.
>>
>>100353851
lost
>>
It's okay but why bother when Minecraft modpacks are already there?
>>
>>100366152
exposure
>>
>>100353851
I love Minetest but its so annoying adding and maintaining mods for a world, all I want is something kinda like MC Beta
>>
File: minecraft.png (2.36 MB, 1366x768)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB PNG
b1.7.3 is the true litmus test for a minecraft enjoyer
if you can't enjoy that version, go play another game because nowadays minecraft is a monster made up of useless features
b1.7.3 is minecraft without bloat
>>
>>100354304
based
>>
>>100355979
kino picture
https://github.com/nerdsinspace/nocom-explanation/blob/main/README.md
https://github.com/spawnmason/randar-explanation/blob/master/README.md
>>
>>100368492
Have you tried Better Than Adventure?
>>
>>100368675
nah i'm a puritan
>>
>>100353977
Doesnt matter, minecraft was only good when it was in prealpha aka free aka classic. The tiny world was actually a good feature and created much more creativity.
>>
>>100355823
>to settle in a location that is near unknowable to griefers
What even is the point of playing online if you are all alone? Also which shitty server has no overview map that is easily browsable?
>>
>>100368492
I have huuuuge nostalgia for that version but nothing will bring back the feeling of playing it for the first time. maybe beta multiplayer with the right people would be cool but playing alone just makes me bored and sad. I just wish still I had my old worlds, or at least some screenshots.
>>
>>100354317
The majority of /g/ has always been retarded. Took you long to realize.
>>
File: 1715143331012.jpg (2.26 MB, 3840x2160)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>100368675
I do, at its core is built with the foundations of what made Beta cool, but for me it has fallen prey of typical feature bloat. With meme shit like epic nether iron (sidecreeps diamonds) ropes (
powercrept ladders) biome specific dirt/stones, item filters, random dungeons, mud hardening and a custom system that involves food stacking (this one is acceptable since is behind an option at world creation, for now). Still, is frankly polished for what it is. The isometric screenshots and model viewer features work very well for what they are. And creative mode is handy to test the bunch of blocks it adds.
>>
>>100355406
This, 4chan is a Factorio board
>>
I like farmin barley and peppers in minetest™
>>
>>100354009
It stores blocks in sql? I fucking love sql but that's the worst thing I've heard all month, holy shit.
>>
>>100368793
you arent alone, you bring people you can trust
>>
>>100353902
How would one store chunks correctly?
>>
>>100353851
It will never be Minecraft
>>
The problem is that it lacks artistic vision.
>>
>>100372035
PIGSTEP ECKSDEEXD!
>>100369964
MICROTRANACSHUNZZZ XDDD!
>>
>>100353851
>still relying on shitsql
>still no multidimensional support
>still extremely limited world size
>fucking LUA for modding
>shit support for mobs and weather
At this point I'm confident minetest is just a controlled opposition. Even Minecraft 1.7.10 is better and it was released ten fucking years ago
>>
>>100366239
>you're clearly not enough of a cuck to grind pointlessly to achieve the exact same result
you bet i am not
i mean, if you want actual engineering games and not what some redditor telling you to put 78 sticks in a certain grid arrangement because of muh difficulty, you've got scrap mechanic, stormworks, KSP and many other actually fun games

>>100367091
i get your point, but what you describe seems like a way to literally cope with minecraft being a shit game with barely no content, very little freedom for a """sandbox""" game and no real problems to solve.
you can invent a whole progression system out of a fucking card game, and i understand why you would do that if you're extremely bored, but it doesn't make it any less cucky or pretentious when it's nothing more than a fucking card game
>>
>>100366212
Yeah, but they're minor problems, ignorable even. Servers like 2b2t, again, have had bases right next to the 30 M border
>>
>>100366189
Experienced it myself
>>100373549
>Servers like 2b2t, again, have had bases right next to the 30 M border
2b2t doesn't run vanilla servers, ask yourself why
>>
>>100373377
>Even Minecraft 1.7.10 is better and it was released ten fucking years ago
Leafish is a 1.7.10 (and newer versions) compatible client, meaning it can join existing Minecraft servers. I think the future of Free and Open source voxel games distinct from Minecraft will initially require compatibility with Minecraft because it currently dominates the space.
There are two minecraft reimplementations that are active:
- https://gitlab.bixilon.de/bixilon/minosoft
- https://github.com/Lea-fish/Leafish
You could chose either of these to build mods or a new game on top.
>>
>>100373719
>2b2t doesn't run vanilla servers, ask yourself why
If can join a server with a vanilla client, it's vanilla minecraft.
>>
>>100373791
lol, lmao even
>>
>>100373791
what the le la un el fuque
>>
>>100353977
Lmao. The cope in replies is unreal.
>>
>>100373345
Go back
>>
>>100373744
A perhaps simpler base for a game is TrueCraft, which deliberately stopped in b1.7.3
https://github.com/ddevault/TrueCraft
>>
>>100353977
>32,000
Is there a reason why is so small?
>>
>>100373863
>t. microshaft fluffer
>>
>>100353902
>isn't this the game that stores each block as a row in a sqlite database
link to the LOC so I can fucking laugh and maybe fix it for them.
>>
>>100374008
it's literally on github
>>
OP really made his entire personality into shilling a game to people who literally still can't understand redstone gates.
>>
>>100353902
This is some next level I don't know what to even call it
>>
>>100374055
ok so find it and link it. I'm not going through all that code nigga, that retard made the claim, make him back it up.
>>
roblox is better than minetest unironically
>>
>>100373964
>>100353977

Found this:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/minetest.conf.example

# Limit of map generation, in nodes, in all 6 directions from (0, 0, 0).
# Only mapchunks completely within the mapgen limit are generated.
# Value is stored per-world.
# type: int min: 0 max: 31007
# mapgen_limit = 31007

31007*16=496112 blocks?

Pretty big. Yet not as big. Dont know why is that.
>>
>>100374270
I was wrong.

its literally 31007 blocks.

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=30492&hilit=chunk

Minetest jargon reminder: The world is made of nodes. 16x16x16 nodes makes a block a.k.a mapblock, and world generation takes place in 5x5x5 mapblock areas called chunks (but chunks are irrelevant after mapgen time).
>>
>>100374307
Yeah, block = node in minetest jargon
>>
>>100354115
>make an angry offtopic rant thread shitting on literally the most successful game of all time and its players
>why am I getting raided
>you just can't stand anything that isn't your personal religion!!!111
You must be a special kind of retarded.
>>
>>100355815
I'm not bri'ish
>>
>>100374008
SQL is literally a dependency for minetest.
https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/games-engines/minetest/dependencies
>>
>>100374847
>SQL is literally a dependency for minetest.
ok and? KDE also depends on MySQL, what's your point? That doesn't say anything about blocks being stored as individual rows in a sql database.
>>
From https://www.minetest.net/
>Enormous Maps
>With 62,000 × 62,000 × 62,000 blocks, there’s no running out of space. You can mine 31,000 blocks down, or build 31,000 blocks up.
>>
File: normal limit.png (1.35 MB, 1920x1080)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>100374307
>>100374996

Got there. It seems that the limit is set at 31007 but is less.
Gonna try with different config.
>>
Just werks from F-Droid. Although night mode was shit
>>
>>100375359
>night mode
I mean wtf, it's too dark to do work. Got to craft a fire or smth..?
>>
>>100353851
"Is 4chan too normie tier social media to like something like Minetest instead of normie tier Minecraft?"
Dude just check out all the threads about fucking applel shit. Other channels are no better they talk about pisslam as if it would be something good. Most people here are dumbass normies. A bunch in here even fell for the "covid is fake" hoax or "china/russia is based" conspiracy.
>>
File: config.png (99 KB, 1920x1080)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>100375332

This is the config and i ma going to change it to 100.000 to check if worldgen changes but when i press set it deletes the number and puts the default.
I dont understand why there is a limit to worldgen.
>>
>>100375418

>This is the config and i ma going to change it to 100.000 to check if worldgen changes but when i press set it deletes the number and puts the default.
>I dont understand why there is a limit to worldgen.

Well. Found the problem. The creator and the latter developers are literal niggers.

https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=4526

From the creator himself:
>It is limited in order to not have to implement performance-eating and bug-prone boundary checks in lighting code and other algorithms.
>>
>>100374996
Anon... thats 340 trillion blocks
That's like 1/6 of a minecraft world
>>
>>100376078
Anything more than ~1000 height is pointless unless you have some cool biomes/dimensions stacking like in mineup.
31k horizontally is nothing. On 2b2t you should move at least 100k to set up just the starting temporary base.

They should make it wider, instead of 62k height that no one will ever use.
>>
>>100376146
Let me guess, you need more?
>>
>>100374270
>>100373964
>>100353977
its also 32000 blocks in depth/height as well. In Minecraft your limited to +/- 200 blocks iirc
>>
>>100353851
When do we get the official /g/ minetest server?
>>
>>100374119
You literally would have to anyway if you are going to do a code change
>>
>>100377945
+320/-64 since 1.16
+256/0 before
>>
>>100379083
we had one many years ago
>>
>>100355461
You don't know what you're talking about. The farlands bug hasn't been in the game since 2011, and it happened much farther than 1% distance,
>>
>>100382524
rip lordkek.us
>>
bump
+0 Poster count
>>
File: wojakconsooomer418416.png (140 KB, 412x350)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>100362273
>shaders
>>
>>100375623
>It is limited in order to not have to implement performance-eating and bug-prone boundary checks in lighting code and other algorithms.

based. The devs just don't want more bugs in the code, whats wrong with that? Do I have to remind you that the first year of minecraft's existence had you in a 128x256x256 world?
>>
>>100376078
>>100376146
>>100377065
>640kb?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.