[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1710791570963423.jpg (290 KB, 1584x1462)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>hey, how many lines of codes do you write per day? just curious
>DONT even THINK about using lines of code as a metric its a totally BULLSHIT metric, heh, only someone whos never written a line of code in his LIFE would use lines of code as a metric *spits on the ground* Lines of code is totally MEANINGLESS okay??
>>
kys retard
>>
who are you quoting
>>
>>100372211
https://old.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/1mbbor/how_many_lines_of_code_do_you_write_per_day_on/
>>
>>100372198
I don't keep track
>>
>>100372293
>seething at 11 years old thread
mental illness
>>
>>100372198
>>100372293
>At the start of the implementation a very high number, in the middle a very small number, near the end a negative number.
he answered your question + he's right frognigger retard
>>
>>100372334
this was just what came up when I googled "how many lines of code do you write in a year"
but literally every answer to that question I see is some variation of this nonanswer
okay, I understand that maintenance work might not require writing much new code, I understand that the work load changes depending if your in the early implementation stage or not, I understand it varies with seniority, I fucking get it okay
JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING STRAIGHT ANSWER YOU WISHY WASHY LIMPWRISTED FAGGOTS
I just want to know how my ~800-1000 lines a month as a hobbyist hikki NEET compares to people with actual jobs
>>
>>100372422
Does your hiking friend work on his own code or old open source project that been around for 10 years?
If it's the first, it's ok but not that great. If it's the second, it's pretty good.
>>
>>100372198
anything greater than 0 probably is fine
you'd be surprised how many people actually don't do shit
>>
>>100372422
>~800-1000 lines
That's way too long for a "hello world" program.
>>
>>100372198
Basic boilerplate structural work for a new app? Could be thousands.
Investigating a strange subtle issue? Could be fixed by deleting 2 lines of code and adding none.

>>100372422
>I understand that it varies considerably and therefore a number isn't really meaningful
>BUT GIVE ME A FUCKING NUMBER
>>
>>100372422
https://github.com/djmdjm/openbsd-openssh-src/pulse/monthly/
>>
>>100372198
I'm still on the first line after a decade. Newlines are for pussies
>>
>>100372490
its not my friend its me, and its my own code doing niche things, each new project being something totally new ive never done before
>>
>>100372511
What do you know about helloing the world sir, my entire culture is designed around good morning and hello
>>
>>100372198
Around 5 a day.
Why?
>>
>>100372422
>JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING STRAIGHT ANSWER YOU WISHY WASHY LIMPWRISTED FAGGOTS
Anywhere from 0 to over several thousands
Are you satisfied?
>>
>>100372422
>my ~800-1000 lines a month
is that net sum or does that include deleted lines as well?
>>
>>100372934
net
>>
>>100372953
sounds like too much honestly, but I've never really measured how much I produce on average
>>
>>100372198
I only call a day a good day if I removed more lines than the ones I wrote.I try my best to end the day in the negatives

If you don't want to count removed lines, working on a 7yo monolith (and using copilot) often results in only copypasting stuff from other parts of the project and adjusting them, tabbing for AI autocompletion, or just going straight "hey chatgpt generate tests for this class"
Do those lines count?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.