[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: idk.png (517 KB, 1367x903)
517 KB
517 KB PNG
Do you use proprietary software and if so how? To what extent do you separate yourself from big tech, the botnet, and proprietary and nonfree software and services?
>>
>>101167754
if I want/need to use a specific application I'll use it (with the least amount telemetry/tracking provided by the app)

if there is a viable F(L)OSS alternative to that app I tend to check this one first if I don't already use a proprietary app, otherwise I will check the open source app if it suits my needs

no overcomplicating things, just me using my computer with privacy in mind, not in focus
>>
>>101167754
buy an ad faggot
>>
>>101167754
I mostly just don't use technology at all
>>
>>101167754
>Do you use proprietary software?
nah
>To what extent do you separate yourself from big tech, the botnet, and proprietary and nonfree software and services?
i just dont have reasons to use that shit, *NIX just works
>>
>>101167754
I do all of my computing on a libreboot ThinkPad that I rebuilt and flashed myself. I deleted nearly all of my online accounts between 2016 and 2020 (only have banking, utilities, and lichess). If I buy something online, which is rare, I use eBay -> check out as guest -> with prepaid CC -> shipped to PO box. I got rid of my credit cards and use cash for the majority of my purchases. I followed this guide (https://inteltechniques.com/workbook.html) and removed any data about me and the data of people who were one degree of separation from me on every data broker website. I flooded Wikipedia with fake edits so that when someone googles my name they get pages of junk results designed to lead an adversary on a wild goose chase. I only connect to the internet through other people's wifi. My phone only has two apps, Signal and Firefox Klar, and I set it to data only so that I can no longer receive phone calls or SMS.
>>
>>101167754
>libre
Whats up with freetards appropriating spicspeak? It sounds stupid
>>
>>101167754
Most of the "libre" softwares are now spreading tranny ideology. So I'm not a fan of it.
>>
>>101168246
>check out as guest
IDK if that's a thing.
>>
>>101168246
How does toe jam taste?
>>
Libre software is an investment in reliability
>>
>>101168905
Looks like they removed it, but it was definitely a thing.
>>
>>101169343
Scratch that, it's still there, but it's limited to cheaper items.
>>
>>101168246
Based. I think I care a lot about my online privacy, but I can't image going to the trouble of doing most of these.
>>101167818
I'm pretty much around here, with just a bit more over-complicating, probably mostly just for fun honestly. It's nice to not feel like big brother is following you around, showing you ads for stuff you searched for yesterday and whatnot, but it really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to achieve that level.
>>101168378
I think it's just to be specific about which type of "free" you're talking about while being as concise as possible, and still being grammatically correct. It could be "FreedomRespectingOffice" instead of LIbreOffice, but that's too long. "FreedomOffice" seems wrong because "freedom" is a noun instead of an adjective, and "FreeOffice" just sounds like you don't have to pay for it.
>>
I've stopped giving a shit. Google Chrome with logged in Google account and sync, Chinese botnet phone with all the spyware enabled, Fedora Kinoite, Steam, Spotify... Just embrace the botnet and be happy.
>>
>>101167754
Eat shit glowie.
>>
I use steam on Linux, but everything else is FOSS.
I also dual-boot for office, acrobat, and league of legends.
I use no cloud services, self hosting instead.
>>
>>101167754
My threat model does not require too much tinkering. A decent password manager and a few healthy practices are good enough.
>big tech, the botnet,
/pol/ buzzwords
>and proprietary and nonfree software and services?
proprietary software is not the satan himself and usually works better than open source alternatives.

Also. pic related is tech-illiterate faggot who profits from freetards and online schizoids. Most of his videos look and feel as if very lazy teenager was doing his homework.
>>
>>101172773
>>big tech, the botnet,
What other words do you want OP to use?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.