[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GQIC3xzakAAFHg7.jpg (100 KB, 640x636)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>Interviewing
Neetcode 150: https://neetcode.io/practice
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

Previous thread: >>101177947
>>
File: 1700522772741471.gif (493 KB, 498x498)
493 KB
493 KB GIF
search your state's case management system ive found trillions of former school peers and coworkers in this. divorces are included.
>>
File: mahiru scream [tk3qh5].jpg (101 KB, 521x593)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
It's been two years since I graduated with a CompEng degree and I still don't have a job. I'm thinking of shifting my career to either IT or cybersecurity. Which one should I do? I'm extremely desperate at this point. Also, are there any career timelines for either of these options? I want to know what I should do and which certs I should go for before pouring even more money into education.
>>
>>101195907
>social media (countable and uncountable, plural social medias)
>1. (uncountable) Applications or websites allowing users to share content and communicate with one another via the Internet.
forums predate the phrase "social media" but that doesn't exempt them from being labeled as such.
>>
>>101196081
cybersecurity would be cooler
IT is basically for the janitors of tech
underpaid, underappreciated, and largely incompetent
>>
>>101195883
why SHOULDN'T I just apply to any burger flipping job that has benefits while freelancing or starting a SaaS business on the side? I don't have the time, energy or even money to stay on the tech job hunting grind/lottery. the biggest con of freelance/going solo is how hard it is to find clients no? but with stable income from McDonald's I can at least survive.

Why does it feel like all devs/aspiring tech workers think of killing themselves before doing this? is it because it's "beneath them" or am I missing something else here?
>>
>>101196104
>IT is basically for the janitors of tech
janitors clean shit and then go home for a living
IT people clean shit, get insulted by their non-IT peers and get blamed for everything for a living.
digital janny work sounds way more humiliating
>>
File: image (5).png (903 KB, 640x535)
903 KB
903 KB PNG
>>101196081
>CompEng
Shouldn't you be working on semiconductors or is that all entirely Ph'D requried?

With how much EE you learned you could work in manufacturing or government jobs.

IT would be brain dead easy we don't even use math and at best its nice to know Boolean algebra, discrete math, linear algebra, and some EE shit at most. But we still don't even use that.

Also how was CompEng i was considering that as a masters degree?
>>101196104
Basically you need to get certifications at the high level to prove that you are not paid shit and deserve pay and appreciation(leverage)
>underpaid, underappreciated, and largely incompetent
>>
File: GZVdhFz.png (507 KB, 738x630)
507 KB
507 KB PNG
How are severance packages normally done? My contract is utlra shit at keeping it together and the company has zero room to absorb our team elsewhere? Will i get it regardless if i move over to the other company that wins the next contract?
>>
>>101195883
For me, it's Rover. Everybody loves Rover.
>>
>>101196104
It would be cooler, but how much of a demand is there for both? I want to do the profession that's in the highest demand.
>>101196249
>Shouldn't you be working on semiconductors or is that all entirely Ph'D requried?
In theory, I should either be working in either embedded systems or digital logic (semiconductors) since that's what CompEng was about. In reality, every job opening isn't willing to take on someone with no experience. I missed out on internships thanks to COVID fucking everything up when I was in school. So now I have zero experience in the fields I studied, and I can't apply for experience because all the internships are looking only for and prioritizing students who are still in school. Which is why I'm looking to change gears.
>With how much EE you learned you could work in manufacturing or government jobs.
Same as above, no one wants to train a guy with no experience, even worse right now since I'm not a newly grad. I have nothing to show for these two years I've been a NEET except for a few projects I've done on my own time that largely don't apply to the field (an indie game that's unfinished).
>IT would be brain dead easy we don't even use math and at best its nice to know Boolean algebra, discrete math, linear algebra, and some EE shit at most. But we still don't even use that.
I'm fine with that.
>Also how was CompEng i was considering that as a masters degree?
You'd probably get more out of it as a Master's. CompEng is split into two parts: EE/embedded and digital logic (FPGAs, SoC, etc.). The embedded part was further split into basic EE stuff and microcontroller programming. Everything on the embedded side was extremely basic and I felt like I could learn everything on my own time. The digital logic stuff was what you really want to go there for. If you're going for a Master's in CompEng I feel you might get a lot more mileage than I did out of my BSc. Also note that I went to a shitty state school so that also affects quality.
>>
>>101196104
>>101196249
>>101196432
(My post was too long)
So which do you think I should go for? Which is in higher demand. I literally do not care about being a digital janny, I'm so desperate.
>>
to >>101195906

no, i don't. Much to learn you still have.
>>
I am a fresh grad working as a data analyst at a state gov job. Safe, lots of free time. All these people I work with do the bare minimum. Job only offers hybrid and I make 69k. What can I do to upskill for more pay? Or should I find a side hustle?
>>
I graduated two years ago with a bachelors in CS and never got a job. I hate programming. What are my options? I’m 38 and live with my parents and deliver pizzas btw.
>>
>>101196502
How hard was it to get the job? Did you have to relocate?
>>
>>101195510
>most people i try to speak to around my age only ever talk about social media.
how exactly do these conversations go? I'm a zoomer with no social media too and I can't imagine it. "yeah I got likes on my photo today" what? unless you are talking about memes people get from social media, that I understand
>>
>>101196219
If you're gonna just do stuff online or something sell your house move to a rural place and invest the difference and live off the interest.
>>
>>101195883
Ew, why was a yucky 3DPD included in your pic OP?
I gagged
>>
>>101196710
It's in a small town 2 hours away, but I live there and commute on the weekends back home. Interview was non technical and easy. But I failed like 10 interviews in 5 months before I got it.
>>
What's your favorite RFC?
>>
File: 1690801298658153.jpg (35 KB, 680x672)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>101196885
>sell your house
haha yes my house great idea bro thanks
>>
>>101196703
>he has parents he can live with
lucky (You)
>>
File: Clipboard Image.jpg (11 KB, 340x242)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
4trans taste amazes me as usual

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.