[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: m122.jpg (1.09 MB, 4032x3024)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
fuller-size edition

previous: >>101120293

>Keyboard recommendation template:
https://pastebin.com/n220xk9V
(Helps also to mention if you're open to soldering or not)

>Find vendors
https://keycaplendar.firebaseapp.com
https://www.alexotos.com/keyboard-vendor-list

>This keyboard stuff is so expensive!
https://aliexpress.com (or Taobao if you are China-savvy)

>Layouts and switches
https://compare.splitkb.com
https://keyboard-design.com
https://www.theremingoat.com
https://www.switchesdb.com

>Practice typing
https://monkeytype.com
https://www.keybr.com
https://thetypingcat.com
https://play.typeracer.com

>What does ______ do to a keyboard's sound
https://blacksimon.tv/science (Google sheet by a twitch streamer)

>Should I buy silent switches for my first mechanical keyboard?
Probably not.
>>
>>101198128
NTA but why do you think people stop hunting for Vint black? It is just not worth it anymore since modern switches are objectively better in push feel aka smoothness
MX2A is better than Vint
MX1A HG is better than Vint
Put some great springs and maybe films while you are at it
>>
I want a red backlight, but they're sold out on Amazon. Any good clicky keyboards that don't require a lot of down force nor sperg out on colors when the power cycles?
>>
File: ergo_keyboard.jpg (618 KB, 3997x2744)
618 KB
618 KB JPG
Unicomp Model M. Genuinely solid modern contender, or boomer nostalgiaslop?
Pic unrelated, obviously.
>>
File: IMG_20230731_164944731.jpg (1.63 MB, 3484x2068)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
nth for lucys
>>
File: 1701223561820475.png (3.17 MB, 2625x1200)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB PNG
>>
modern cherry switches are good it just takes time to break them in. the mx browns in my daskeyboard are extremely smooth after 8 years of unlubed use. As smooth as any meme switch I've ever tried.
>>
>spring swap from +/-15g gaterons to +/-1g tx (should greatly improve consistency
>lube with 205g0 at the same time
>switches feel far less consistent than before
I hate lube...
>>
>>101208838
Skill issue.
>>
>>101208838
You only need very little lube
>>
>>101208894
>>101208848
I lubed as little as I could—I'm skeptical of lube in the first place, I wanted to do as little as I could get away with. 205g0 is very thick, it's very easy to overdo it even when you're being careful not to.
>>
looking for: 75-65% with split spacebar, <$70 including shipping from china
>>
I'm looking for a wireless 40%. is there such a thing?
>>
>Budget
$100-$200
>Location (continent at least)
u.s
>Preferred switch type
reds
>Layout
qwerty
>Form factor
65%
>Backlight
rgb
>Previous/current keyboards
ducky one 2 full-size rgb with pudding keycaps
>>
File: keyboard-1.jpg (237 KB, 1800x900)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
Is there anything with a left sided numpad and QMK?
>>
I'm looking for some heavier switches, I bought a nuphy field75 and it comes with their polaris switches which are linear and it feels weird as fuck using them. I feel like they are way too light to the touch, I had to put in one of the tactile test switches (fleeting gold) it came with into the caplock key so I wouldnt accidently tap it when I reach for the a key.

Also now my typing is dogshit coz of my muscle memory where my hands sat on my old keyboard, this is awful how long does it take to get used to a new keyboard?
>>
Are the unicomp keyboards actually a good purchase if you're looking for the next best thing to an IBM Model M?
>>
>>101204551
Can you still find keyboards with so many keys?
>>
>>101210160
Make one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006271779544.html
>>
>Budget
$80-$200
ru (can buy from aliexpress, ozon, yandex.market)
>Preferred switch type
i've been using akko green matcha linear switches for about a year, but now decided to try out tactiles, would prefer smooth and not really loud
>Layout
qwerty
>Form factor
basically anything above 60%
>Backlight
rgb
tried cheap keyboard with blue outemu switches, keychorn with optical switches, current is a fully modded chinese barebones with akko greens.
> Other
if that is possible, i want to find a keyboard that is good enough in stock so i wont need to lube it or buy new stams, feels nice when typing (don't care about the sound) and will be used as a daily driver. Thanks everyone in advance!
>>
>>101212038
>https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006271779544.html
ZMK is glitchy and unreliable compared to QMK, you will be putting a ZMK board aside out of frustration
>>
File: 1712459370243886.jpg (34 KB, 495x461)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>tried many different mech kbs
>have returned to a K120 lubed with 205g0 grease

it's quiet, fast, and smooth.
I enjoyed the journey though
>>
>>101213580
Lubing a K120 with 205g0 is like putting $20,000 ceramic disc brakes in a twingo.
>>
I need to order a keyboard NOW

Give me a list of bretty gud TKL keyboards with brown switches or quieter
No need for wireless a I have a job

Work is paying for it but try to keep it around 200USD, shit's going to be awkward explaining why I need a 300 dollar topre or some model M replica
>>
>>101213790
*less than 200
>>
>>101213645
It's fine, as long as the dude is happy
>>
>>101209638
If you are shit at lubing then just break them in for a bit after lubed let the lube disperse itself with usage
>>
>>101212038
I would need to make the pcb on kicad and then print it through jlcpcb. not to mention I would need to print a case and a plate. I think I could do it but I would fail at the hole measurements.
>>
>>101213790
Guys I have less than three hours not kidding
>>
do you guys legitimately lube up your keyboards or are you just tickling my taco
>>
>>101214345
Wait until you hear about lining the inside and outside of keyboards with sound dampening material
>>
>>101206362
>solid
No. Incredibly delicate. I've broken two over the years, one to a static shock after taking off my sweater whilst not breaking anything else.

>modern contender
Yes. My work nepotistic habit of boomers hiring boomers. They provide a $200 keyboard stipend and don't ask questions so long as you aren't buying one a week. Most of the office has four or five keyboards and not a one a single boomer owns a unicomp or as far as I know has even considered it.
>>
>>101213580
Is lubing membrane keyboards some kind of a new meme?
>>101213122
Fuck yourself rusnigger. Do your own research
>>
Hey if the guy who recommended keychrons in that Stallman "GNO" thread is around, thanks for the recommendation, got the V1 and also deathadder mouse.

As for the rest of you guys, fuck you you useless cunts, no wonder the mechanical keyboard general threads are dead.
>>
what switches are comparable to corsair's blue ones?
>>
>>101215246
I work all day and all night recommending Keychrons in /mkg/. And you come in here and post this?
>>
Is metal really better than plastic
>>
>>101216968
Metal sounds higher than plastic
I don't get why people trying to put foam in metal keyboard because at that point just get a plastic keyboard instead
>>
>>101213122
hmmm well keychrons are ok out of the box, but not perfect. My first impression with my v6 max was that the stabs were better than my old board's costar stabs, but after I swapped in some cherry clip-ins (and took a knife to the pc plate so they'd fit...) that I'd lubed myself it was obvious that the stock stabs did make a bit more noise. The typing feel is ok, feels a little overlubed ootb but that will probably improve as the lube moves around with use. You may or may not like the feel of gasket mount.

I don't know anything about Nuphy Gem80's stabs, in videos they sound comparable to Keychron's. Seems like a pretty competitive in-stock board in your price range. The Gateron Nuphy Lemon switches that you can get with it have a similar force travel graph to the cherry brown, just a little bit tactile.

keyboard community is mostly "slava ukraini" faggots so it's hard to find out what the russian vendors are lol but I seek geekboards.ru has a lot of stuff, maybe take a look around there. But you'll have to do some research to find out whether they're legit/good vendor, I live a long way from Russia so I don't know these things.
>>
>>101217000
isn't foam used for dampening the sound?
>>
>>101216968
Metal makes the keyboard heavier (obviously)
Makes the keyboard quieter but also higher pitched. This can depend on the build
>>
>>101217114
Yes and normalfags want their metal keyboard to sound low and deep like thick plastic keyboard so they put as much as possible foams in there for "THOCK"
>>
>>101217114
Foam doesn't really dampen sound, but it does change the sound profile. It can make things less high pitched, but it usually boosts the mid range and the overall perceived volume is generally higher with foam than without, although most microphones are bad at picking this up.
>>
>>101217142
What does dampen sound then
>>
>>101217167
A $5 pack of o-rings, if the majority of the noise comes from your keycaps bottoming out (not clicky switches).
>>
>>101215357
Doesn't Corsair use cherry? In that case, any click jacket switch. Cherry blue, Gateron blue, Razer green, the old Razer greens made by Greetech if you can find them, Outemu blue I guess but they're not good.
>>
>>101217142
>Foam doesn't really dampen sound
it absolutely does, mostly by attenuating the high notes
>>
>glare60 is o-ring gasket mount unlike glare tkl and glare 65 top mount
Good news or bad news?
>>
File: 1703220855922323.jpg (398 KB, 2048x922)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>
>Budget
~300$
Germany
>Preferred switch type
linear or silent tactile
>Layout
ISO-DE
>Form factor
100% or atleast 90% (no ergoshit)
>Backlight
not required
Razer Huntsman V2 with linear switches
>Other
preferably no media buttons but if they are there its also ok.
>>
>>101221538
>100% or atleast 90% (no ergoshit)
Keychron lol
>>
>>101219579
it's all preference
>>
File: 1719787901294.jpg (3.56 MB, 3000x2454)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>tfw your $0.60/ea switches start individually failing after only 7 months
Hotswap so I can just replace them with extras but what the hell man. Bad batch? Buyer error?
>>
>>101221915
what brand?
>>
>>101221915
Failing how? Just chattering or what?
>>
>>101221915
Try contact cleaner (non-oil) or compressed air, works everytime for me
>>
File: 1719789697338.jpg (2.64 MB, 2702x1601)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>101222026
Bolsa Supply, Zaku II's in particular. Never had an issue with their Corsas though
>>101222038
Dropping inputs, not consistently at first but the past few have grown worse and worse over the course of a few days until they became mostly unusable
>>101222063
Thanks, I'll try to source some for this one I just replaced. I did open it up and couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the contacts but there's probably more to it
>>
File: 1708397654397255.png (461 KB, 1210x476)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
Wireless only corne for $90. Worth?
>>
>>101222572
yes
>>
>>101222215
I don't know what Tecsee's reputation is, I thought they were ok, maybe not.
>>
File: 40 plates.jpg (1.11 MB, 2000x1681)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>101214224
You really only need a plate. Handwire the rest. Then find a case that you can attach the plate to with screws and spacers/standoffs. Don't know if there are many 40% cases that can accomodate a battery though.
>>
>>101221538
There just aren't a lot of full-sizes around right now. It's fucked. Annoys me to no end, I'm stuck with a keychron v6 max for the foreseeable future. And you don't even get that because it's ANSI-only; basically you can get a cheap tray mount board or pay the extra to get a Q6. There's not a lot else.

Varmilo makes some ISO full size boards but they come with hideous keycaps so you'd have to buy replacements (unless you like them, which, I mean, surely someone does otherwise they wouldn't make them like that)

If you know how to use taobao you can get good german iso keycaps for cheap, then ugly stock caps is a non-issue
>>
[warning: blog post about switch feel impressions]

I'm liking the Jwick Taros, just swapped my board over to them. Unlubed, stock (starting the break-in period). I shouldn't have spent what they asked for these switches, it wasn't a "good deal", but I do like the feel of them. I find I actually like most switches I try, in different ways.

One I actually did hate was when I put 62g 14mm springs in my gateron linears—the way it went from light to heavy through the stroke just felt weird and bad. Turns out I like long springs better.

This one's kind of like a holy panda, maybe a little less severe. Minimal stem wobble is hard to get used to, it feels like I need to be more careful with my keystrokes to get them at the right angle, it's so up-and-down. Not that it binds or anything it just feels different

The plated springs do, to their credit, make very little noise. I don't hear ping. Big difference from the stock springs on the last switch I tried.

The nylon bottom-out is ok but not as deep as cherry. Fit of the switches is good, they're snug in the plate and I can pull caps without the switches coming out. The switches feel pretty consistent, I don't notice any bad switches in the bunch. (But I usually don't.)

Not going to recommend these because the price is a bit high but I'm having a good time
>>
>>101218190
The high frequencies are indeed attenuated but I've found that it greatly depends on the person whether or not it's a big deal to them. Like I said, the mid-range is boosted a bit when you foam up your board, although this can greatly depend on what foam you use and how much contact it's making with your PCB. My Cycle7 is much louder with foam than without, it's just all midrange (the marble-y sound) but I do have foam boards where the difference is much more subtle.
>>
>>101213645
what's your point?
it's was like $20. not like I'm going to be able to spend all of it in my lifetime.

>>101214345
>>101215191
not exactly new. there's an immense difference in typing consistency, smoothness, and noise by using some kind of lube for the keycaps.
>>
Bros what do you think about Women SK75? It's the first keyboard that doesn't require unreasonable shipping fees to my country (its free)
>>
>>101225565
Womier* SK75
>>
File: IMG_9694_1.jpg (752 KB, 4368x2912)
752 KB
752 KB JPG
>>101210160
https://epomaker.com/products/epomaker-th40
>>
On impulse I recently bought a WASD keyboard with petscii keys.
It's kinda gorgeous.
>>
>>101225284
ok it's kinda hard to get used to how tactile they are after using linears for a while

I might have to switch to browns or something. But I will give myself a month to get used to it first
>>
>>101225565
>Bros what do you think about Women
whores. avoid
>>
File: 61qKV4-AdyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (94 KB, 1203x684)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Poorfag here. Got picrel recently and have been enjoying it (I've been stuck with membrane keyboards for the longest time) but is it possible to replace/upgrade the keycaps on this thing? They are apparently custom tactile blue switches, but they should be MX-equivalent, right?

Redragon K551RGB btw
>>
>>101226483
Yes they are mx. If that pic is the exact same layout of your keyboard look for iso compatible keycaps.
>>
>>101226712
Thank you very much anon. Any bang-for-buck ISO keycap recommendations?
>>
>>101226793
Aliexpress.
>>
I guess this is the thread to ask this
What is a good keyboard for gaming? Something flat or something thick? Is it all down to preference? Or is there an ergonomics standpoint that more important?
The arms of my chair are too wide for me to really rest both of my arms at the same time, so I find myself naturally trying to use the left chair arm more for my keyboard, but clearly it still leaves my hand in an awkward position. I'm trying to use neither chair arm and just keeping both my arms between them parallel with each other, perpendicular with my body. But I find it so hard to press keys on the keyboard when I even attempt to do that. Is this because my keyboard is raised up? The actual body of the keyboard without the keys, is 3/4 of an inch high in the front, and an inch high in the back, then add on the keys and it's even higher. It's super thick. Should I go for something that's completely flat, like a laptop keyboard, or just something flatish but still with the big keys of a generic mechanical keyboard. As a side note, I've always had a lot of trouble using the CTRL key with anything. Like anything bound to CTRL+number/letter I just can't do fast or fluidly, to a point that it's almost impossible. Even doing anything bound with alt is a little tough but doable. But too much use of Alt and my thumb starts to hurt like a bitch because I curl it in super super tight to press it. I don't know if it because my hands are like, too wide or too small, I really can't tell. I think I have small hands but somewhat wide.
For further reference, this is mostly needed for the sake of MMOs. rapidly switching between keys and moving my fingers and hands around. I can adjust for any other game regardless of keyboard. I'm more focused on something like FFXIV.
>>
I'm going full bore on that ruthless creamy build right now. It's got that prehistorical weight mod harvested from ancient greek constructions. Unleash the ghost of J. Robert Thockenheimer when I apply the ping obliteration mods. Nuclear levels of thock. A single actuation on this shit and you lose control of your faculties. I've got that arcane nefarious build, mathematically unviable concoction for those frankenswitches. This shit will land you in the infirmary.
>>
bump
>>
>>101227342
first off, if your chair doesn't fit you, you'd be better off buying a new chair than buying a keyboard to suit your chair situation.

As for your MMO needs, you have some options. First off you can change the location of ctrl to be where caps lock often is. This is a common alternative layout with some history and most keycap sets come with a control key for that spot so you get that option. Many believe this location is more comfortable, it's probably worth a shot. Any board programmable with QMK/VIA can be set up this way.

Next up it might be worth looking at something that has some keys to the left, like a macro cluster or a southpaw numpad. These would be more usable for some of those less-used bindings because they're not as far from where your hand normally is.

as for low profile vs high I doubt this'll solve things for you. most of your gains will come from redoing your keybindings to be more comfortable.

lastly don't forget about some of those mmorpg mice with the 12 keys on the side. I used one when I was big into World of Warcraft and it helped. Then again my brother never used one and he's one of the best WoW players in the world, so maybe it's not necessary.
>>
I think all foams in a metal keyboard is ok if you have long pole switches to compensate.
>>
>>101229958
No its not
>>
anyone got experience with the Keychron Q1/Pro/Max?
I'm thinking this is the board for me but i've heard the wireless can be naff and it has some latency issues? Not thinking i'll use wireless that often but if it is shite when I need it then you know whats the point.
There was also some shit about the batteries swelling?
>>
>>101229958
hehe
>>
i can't choose between fullsized or tkl
i might go full meme and consider a full-sized split instead
>>
>>101232104
tkl+separate numpad
>>
>>101232104
You will have very little options for full-size keyboard so go with tkl
>>
File: 1719868432439.jpg (33 KB, 400x400)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>101232104
>i might go full meme and consider a full-sized split instead
>>
why did kailh and gateron make their low pro switches not fit through the holes of the standard cherry ones? is there a switch that does?
>>
>>101231283
I have seen enough complaints about Keychron wireless that I would personally go with something else. I do have a wired Keychron and I like it a lot.

As much as I hate to recommend them otherwise, Logitech and Razer do have top-tier wireless performance if that matters to you.

>>101232104
>>101232227
TKL + Numpad is truly the best of both worlds and better than either alone, I genuinely don't understand why people insist on using fullsize when this is an option.
>>
>>101231283
What's this about battery swelling? I'm shopping for a new keyboard that's vertically slim and decided that the keychron k max would be the best option for me
>>
>>101232104
TKL has all the best entry-level options right now BUT you forfeit your soul
>>
>>101234251
do you mean cherry mx or cherry low-profile?
>>
>>101234643
mx. I don't get why these mfs decided to make incompatible switches
>>
>>101204551
I have an FK-9000 in the mail, will be joining the full size club soon inshallah
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48VAtFxIqoQ
>>
>>101232104
Do extreme southpaw full size. The best full size layout
>>
>>101234251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qzxGP9NStc
It's hell
>>
File: ymd40.png (3.34 MB, 1830x1226)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB PNG
dropped my vaper and ended up chipping my alu case. I'm not buying anything aluminum anymore. it's fucking weak shit.
>>
>>101234939
Cheap powdercoat?
>>
>>101234955
it's a very heavy case and looks quite premium. I tried to sell it and nobody wants now
>>
>>101234978
It's white so it's not anodized alu, not quite premium if you ask me
>>
>>101235001
it's not white it's grey and it is anodized
>>
>>101235040
My bad then
>>
what are those cute lil pads called that attach to a keyboard that your wrists rest on? Can you buy them separate if a keyboard doesn't already come with it?
Any low profile keyboard recs with one of those pads? I'm not looking for anything fancy at all
>>
>>101235047
Wrist rest
>>
>>101235047
They're literally called a "wrist rest". You shouldn't be typing with your wrists on a rest though, doing so just increases the likelihood that you're gonna develop RSI. Your wrists should be floating and level while typing.
>>
>>101235047
they suck, don't bother
>>
>>101235073
People don't usually use them while typing, they use them when not typing to rest their hands while idling
>>
>>101235116
>People don't usually use them while typing, they use them when not typing to rest their hands while idling
You sure about that? I've only seen the opposite.
>>
>>101235128
By that, I mean well educated people
>>
cheapest way to get a 14x5 ortho?
>>
File: KBB.png (151 KB, 2580x1461)
151 KB
151 KB PNG
>>101204551
>b...but that's subjective! I need to know what your tastes are!
shut yo white ass up. rec a brotha some GOOD k'boards yurd. Useless OP.
>>
>>101235473
https://keebsforall.com/products/pre-order-f1-8x-v2-barebones-kit
>>
>>101235116
this
>>
>>101235473
No negroisms in /mkg/ please. Tasteful mechanical keyboards are for white and asian men over the age of 27 with a degree of sophistication—imagine, if it helps, that we are in the clubhouse after a round of golf. We expect a certain level of decorum from /mkg/ posters, it is not a very strict standard that we hold posters to but it is a standard, and negroisms fall short of that bare minimum.
>>
>>101235593
I'd want that but I'm looking forward to the Spyder TKL GB start
>>
>>101236403
shut the fuck up. and fuck golf.
>>
>>101236809
I'm sorry if you feel insulted in some way but the thread culture is what it is. You'll get more relevant replies and better discussions when you respect that.
>>
>>101226483
it should be possible, afaik redragon uses mx switches. get shenpo caps :^)

might also help to open up your board and stuff some shit in there like foam or felt or whatever you've got laying around. might be better, might not, it's an easy thing to try.
>>
>>101225565
looks ok. full of memes ofc and 75% is a disgusting layout but at that price who can complain?
>>
bump
>>
>>101236809
golf's not bad from time to time honestly, a buddy of mine sliced a golf ball right into a goose's ass
everyone else with us was laughing our asses off
good thing too, little bastards just shit everywhere, fucking pests
>>
I broke the little tabs on basically every single one of my Akko Starfish switches when I was pulling them out of a board
>>
File: Kayboard.png (745 KB, 1237x653)
745 KB
745 KB PNG
>1800 layout keyboard
>Backlit
>Hot swap
>No knobs or other gimmicks

Anyone know of any other options? I'm willing to pay more but when when I look at higher end boards they all have dumb knobs. I don't even really want wireless.
>>
just woke up from having a keyboard dream

>>101240824
are you 100% sure you've got the technique correct?

>>101241828
I hate to say this but technically Drop shift v2 is a backlit hotswap 1800 with no knob. Same goes for Glorious GMMK 2.

keychron Q5 has a knobless version but south-facing rgb is not ideal for backlighting. Keychron K4 might be closer to what you want
>>
>>101242059
>Drop shift v2

I have one on my desk right now and only complaint is I wish it had the raised rim a normal keyboard has. Would get it again for this other project but the 200 price tag is a bit rich. Wanna stay under 100
>>
File: 1718731862002119.jpg (123 KB, 1440x1715)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>101242059
>have dream about nincompoop at the office damaging my keyboard
>be in the office 2 days later (wfh)
>keyboard scratched

bastard
>>
>>101243370
Just reano it bro
>>
File: 1703999840723876.png (77 KB, 532x645)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
About to waste money on a wireless corne. Someone please talk me out of it considering my Iris is working perfectly fine.
>>
>>101243699
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tax
>>
neo80 has minor ano imperfections ootb... it's over
>>
>>101244678
Does it have top mount tho?
>>
>>101244678
nvm it was just dust under the plastic wrap, we are so back
>>
>>101243699
kit or prebuilt? looks like a good deal either way
>>
>>101244963
Prebuilt without switches/keycaps/usb-c to c cable. Ended up buying it.
>>
File: Karina-3_1080x.jpg (97 KB, 1080x1080)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>
File: qwertykeys neo80.jpg (226 KB, 1200x800)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
My first alu board complete. Neo80, no foams, brass pillar mount, broken in lubed and spring swapped gateron milk-top linears, alu plate.

I gotta get new stabs though because the included clip-ins are fucking garbage, 80% of them wiggle after clipped in and they can pull out with keycaps lol
>>
>>101204551
OP is for once not fucking gay. Fellow based 120% gigachad.

t. true IBM HCK on my PC
>>
>>101248077
How does it feel for your first decent keyboard?
>>
can anyone recommend a non-exploded 75% keyboard without a knob or any tiny screens or decorations? Just a plain 75%. Thanks
>>
>>101248077
Man GIMME dat shit.
>>101235593
>>101236403
yall niggas aint wanna answer a brothas question. now dis shit is mines.
>>
File: 1719954336537929.png (681 KB, 1200x800)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
>>101249504
forgot pic
>>
>>101244705
no but it has "a similar mounting style" (more or less bottom mount)
>>
>>101243370
I had a dream I showed my friend my keyboard but I had to hover over him because if he pressed alt-tab he'd see all the porn I had open on my pc
>>
why do people care so much about sound when it comes to keyboards? youtube is filled with videos of keyboards that sound silly af and people pay 100s of dlls for them
>>
>>101251148
Sound is a measure of a board, not the desired thing itself. Sound "proves" a board. It tells us what the board *is*.
>>
>>101249504
you want a good keyboard? tech bear 8 tkl. pre-order is active now. buy @ keebsforall if in US. aluminum plate no flex cuts.

buy gateron switches on aliexpress ($20), shenpo keycaps or ghost judges ($40), full board for $260 very nice
>>
>>101248283
Pretty good. It's so much heavier than I expected. Maybe because I got the copper weight (forgot I ordered it that way). I can't even imagine what a glare is like if a neo80 is this heavy.

At first I worried I'd made a stupid purchase when there was case ping but then I realized it was because I'd forgotten to add the little stick-on pads where the top case touches the plate in this mounting configuration.

The screwless assembly is fucking stupid but it's at least a decently hefty mechanism that it clicks into. Cool feature for your first month playing around with the board, pain in the ass for the next decade. Not a fan.

I can see why some people hate clip
-in stabs because I'll say again these are the worst fucking stabs I have ever used. I lubed them as well as I could but lube doesn't fix wobble. I ordered loads more genuine Cherry clip-ins, never using an 'included' stab again as long as I live
>>
>>101252427
clip-ins aren't bad if they are from tx or cherry
>>
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004007379330.html?spm=a2g0o.home.0.0.650c76db7LYakG&mp=1

Opinions from people who know more than me, please. It's pretty much everything I want for a nice price but I'm sure these Chinese things aren't built to last (?) so idk.
>>
File: file.png (503 KB, 1531x524)
503 KB
503 KB PNG
is there keyboard like C2 Pro, but wireless? and by that I mean 3-pin/5-pin hot-swap, classic full-sized 104 keys form factor (not 108 with stupid ass knobs) and with minimum visual elements above numpad. why no one is offering simple shit like that, I feel like I'm going insane.
>>
>>101251628
>Sound is a measure of a board
what do you mean? like you can meaure quality by sound?
>>
>>101251148
The holy trinity of keyboard
Look
Feel
Sound
>>
all are redragon boards compatible with outemu switches? eyeing some silent peach switches on aliexpress but im not even sure if my board accepts outemu, their site says nothing but "redragon custom" in the specs
>>
>>101254206
K10 pro? 108 key but without knobs, if that counts. Your options for plain & wireless might be slim beyond that
>>
File: 1720015040908.jpg (879 KB, 3438x3438)
879 KB
879 KB JPG
>>
>>101254206
Yes. Plenty of full-size boards without the knob. Check out the FL ESPORTS GP108. It is a fully-built three-mode wireless board with an insanely good build quality at a fair price. Comes with high quality PBT keycaps which is shine resistant; as well as gaskets, foam and silicon internals to provide the best acoustics.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004855979445.html
>>
>>101257869
he did say "not 108"
>>
>>101255170
some redragon boards have mx switches which they also sell separately, but without knowing your keyboard model I don't know. You should be able to tell if it's mx when you take the caps off.

Doing all that desoldering/soldering for a redragon board is absolutely mad
>>
>>101257945
Nearly all Redragon keyboards are hotswappable and use Outemu switches, sockets/pins are a bit thinner than on proper Cherry MX switches so non-Outemu compatibility can be a bit hit or miss
>>
Where to buy good ol' cheap mx black?
>>
>>101215046
>I've broken two over the years, one to a static shock
This is what we get when people crowd-fund passion projects that aren't actual engineers in the slightest
>just make a housing, slap a PCB in there and call it a day
They don't even have the tiniest bit of foresight to make their expensive ass projects that take months (or years) to materialize resistant to such a basic danger that all PCBs are susceptible to
>>
>>101258027
taobao
>>
>>101258087
I mean we have a good engineer and a serious CNC business owner like Geon in the hobby and he keeps making good keyboards with excellent pricing
>>
>>101258087
>when people crowd-fund passion projects that aren't actual engineers
Unicomp was founded by former Lexmark employees who bought the patents and tooling when Lexmark shut down their keyboard division. Neil Muyskens (rip), the founder and president, was an electrical engineer.
>>
>>101257869
no, I'm talking about 104 keys with black shell
>>
>>101213790
my outemu lime v3 is quieter than my logitech membrane, it is tactile tho.
>>
File: 1698717588794566.jpg (960 KB, 3080x2048)
960 KB
960 KB JPG
>>
>>101256755
damn why does cherry look so good while everything else looks like shit
>>
I'm trying to wrap my mind around how a glare tkl can be more than twice as heavy as a neo80. The neo80 feels really heavy to me lol
>>
>>101262466
Even two little brothers glare65 is 3.4kg and 3.3kg for glare60 lol
>>
File: 1710569056205668.jpg (2.87 MB, 5928x3376)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
>>101262466
With brass bottom lol
>>
>>101262802
Jesus Christ. Definitely a desk-only keyboard.
>>
I still prefer the typing feel of F1, the leaf spring of F1 is just the best
>>
So with a K8 I finally give up on wireless keyboards working at angles where I need them to and a USB extender seems to work fine. The switches on an RK I had also felt a bit less mushy. At the moment it doesn't seem like even if it worked the price difference is worth it

So for a wired keyboard, any reccs based on
>red switches
>not, or primarily not black (not bothering buying keycaps, "black" like pic related is okay)
>around $60-100
>>
>>101264252
Also forgot to mention TKL but if something is particularly amazing I'll budge on full size
>>
>>101264252
I'm a little confused. What keyboards and switches do you own right now?
>>
>>101262802
>weighs more than an IBM 4704-104
lol
>>
>>101248077
Hot, wish mine would come in the mail already. Thanks for the heads-up on the stabs.
>>
>Budget
$200
>Location
USA
>Preferred switch type
Tactile or clicky
>Layout
ANSI
>Form factor
60%
>Backlight
unimportant
shit
>>
File: vertical.webm (2.6 MB, 1280x720)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB WEBM
>>101204551
What are the best ergonomic options for mechanical keyboards?
>>
File: IMG_20230202_010946175.jpg (1.25 MB, 3868x2008)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>101266931
Some flavor of dactyl, imo. The curved keywells are nice for reducing how much your finger has to travel between rows. The thumb cluster angling downward makes sense since then you're not moving your thumb sideways to hit keys. There's a ton of options for customization since the shape is generated through code too.
>>
>>101254206
Leopold, but no NKRO and bluetooth only
>>
>>101266856
I think the tofu60 might be smart pick at that price. dangkeebs has a couple e-coat variants in stock for a slightly reduced price
https://dangkeebs.com/products/kbdfans-tofu60-2-0
or you can pay a little more here and get more options:
https://kbdfans.com/collections/tofu60-2-0/products/tofu60-2-0

go cheap on switches, gateron milk-top blues from aliexpress for $17 are fine. Then take the rest of your money and shop around for caps you like (and that are kitted appropriately for whatever 60% layout you're intending). Ok there isn't really money remaining but you know technically the keyboard works without caps

if that one really doesn't fit the budget cannonkeys has a (significantly lighter...) aluminum 60% that's $30 cheaper

I'm not a 60% expert so maybe I'm way off here and missing some better option that another anon will bring up.

>>101266931
this is a fetish
>>
I bought a low profile keyboard and I like the shorter travel of the short switches, but are reds really the lightest I can get? They feel like trying to type on newtonian fluid compared to the full sized whites I use on my normal keyboard.
>>
I fucked up really bad. I bought a 60 + numpad for a macos user thinking they could use numpad as nav. No refunds

do I fake it with fn layer as faux numlock or is that cringe
>>
>>101204551
What are some cheap retro/vintage keyboard alternatives for MacOS? Don't care about size, just want something comfy that is similar in feel and aesthetic as vintage keyboards.
>>
copped a new model F a few months ago during their clearance sale, best purchase i've ever made, highly recommend
>>
>>101204551
Please reccomend me a good keyboard/switches for the most pleasant 4chan shitposting experience.

budget is 200€ (in europe)

I prefer tactile switches that don't make cops knock on my door because of noise complaints, and also don't need hulk strength to press. (I'm not a femboy though) don't care about ansi/iso but NEED a 100%. lighting would be nice so I can shitpost in the dark at 3am.
Would be nice to have at least a handful of extra buttons to bind pastas and baits to.

I'm only sighlty sarcastic. I do want a new mechanical keyboard.
>>
>>101271050
Keychron C2 pro or K10 pro would probably fit your bill, can buy it with browns then swap them later with the extra € if you don't like them
>>
>>101268459
>cheap
>retro
mutually exclusive at the moment
>>101270148
nice
i fucking hate mine.
>>
>>101271050
if you need backlit, Ducky makes boards with shine-through caps and north-facing rgb. The Shine 7 and some of the One 3 models fit that description. But I have no idea how they do their programmability, and I haven't heard great things about their boards.

backlighting really narrows your options and the full-size options were already pretty sad these days
>>
>>101271050
Logitech MK270r.
>>
>Budget
ÂŁ200-250
UK
>Preferred switch type
Graywood V4/V3, or hot-swappable
>Layout
ISO UK
>Form factor
TKL
>Backlight
Don't care
>Colour
Warm off-white

Is there anything out there prebuilt that hits all these marks? I love the look of the EPOMAKER F75 but the blue rim and ANSI layout are a deal-breaker for me. The CIY x77 TKL is almost there too, but I hate that stark white.
I'll probably have to look at a custom or compromise on something but I don't know where to start. Is there somewhere I can pick up a shell/board whatever that's off-white, ISO UK without any switches installed? Trying to avoid putting everything together from scratch
>>
>>101263142
For real, I was at the meetup and tried typing on it
The typing feel is out of the world and now I'm playing group buy waiting game for it
>>
Wondering what's the best 65% soundwise, probably Kohaku?
>>
>>101267596
thanks brother, I will look into it
>>
>>101272823
>Kohaku
lol no it's Vega but I heard good things about Glare 65
>>
>>101271970
curious what kind of off white ? more of a classic beige or lighter eggshell?
>>
>>101272865
>Glare65
God, I wish someone would sell theirs lmao
>>
>>101272972
Aren't they going to make glare 60? I'd wait for that
>>
>>101273010
I don't think I'm ready for a 60%...
>>
>>101273044
All you need is 1 tkl, 1 60% and maybe 1 numpad kit
>>
>>101273073
>TKL
Definitely the upcoming Spyder TKL. I think I'm gonna sell off my Jane ME lmao
>60%
Definitely a Kalam Uniko-- Glare60. I've been curious of 60%, got any more recs that sounds great?
>Numpad
I don't have a use for that lmao
>>
>>101273158
Fuck Kalam, if you want a Unicorn just get them but other than being very limited I don't see anything else in Unicorn and Kohaku
People just chasing after them because they don't do unlimited gb just it creates an artificial hype
>>
>>101273204
>just get them
I would if it weren't for the exorbitant aftermarket prices lmao
>>
>>101273306
Then you wait my dude, in my opinion, singakbd's boards aren't even worth their asking prices let alone aftermarket prices
>>
File: 61B-0w-Iq1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (95 KB, 1416x624)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>101272884
A warm eggshell, I think? Looking to not clash too much with pic related that's in the same room
>>
What do you guys think of the Montech MKey?
>>
>>101271970
Prebuilt idk, there was a retro white luminkey tkl but I think it's sold out everywhere.

If you can do kits, Neo80 comes in e-retro white. TKL hotswap with ISO support. (I have one, can vouch for that, although I haven't seen their e-coat or what the color actually looks like in-person).

Can be preordered from prototypist in the UK. Comes in well under your budget, leaving lots of money to go shopping for nice caps.

Cycle8 might also come in off-white, I think the Cycle7 did. But no promises, some of the ICs don't show it (another IC, which did show it, was asking which colors people would be interested in—maybe it didn't get enough votes.) The preorder hasn't started yet but when it does the UK vendor will be prototypist. It has an ISO hotswap pcb option.

The cycle7 (f-row-less tkl) has some 'cream' extras in stock at Eloquentclicks in Spain, but you pay a little extra for the convenience of not needing to wait. And it's missing that f-row, so maybe that's no good.
>>
File: 00258.jpg (1.44 MB, 4032x2268)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>101254206
ok, I've given up. fuck it, stupid ass knob it is. found the least bulging one. almost bearable without backlight
>>
>>101275035
Looks uncomfortable
>>
>Budget
up to $200-250
France
>Preferred switch type
Brown, but open to others
>Layout
French AZERTY
>Form factor
100%
>Backlight
rgb per key
Logitech G815
>Other
Spilt coffee on my current keyboard and now it's dying so would like to change. I mainly use my keyboard for typing for work so I'd like something that's really comfortable to type on and with good ergonomics.
Bonus points for volume control.
>>
>>101275035
your desk mat annoys me
>>
>>101208768
>just break in your keyboard for 8 years
this shit is getting retarded
>>
>>101277428
Cherry nylon blends are just too good you don't need any break-in to feel it greatness, put some lube in it and boom end-game switch
>>
>>101277484
it feels even better with years of lubeless break-in
>>
>>101277603
lol just put them in break-in machine for a day then
>>
>>101275035
the fuck are those keycaps lol
>>
File: 1705384412768006.jpg (131 KB, 1080x1440)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
My ultraglide
>>
>>101277630
break-in machines are bullshit. They're not enough like the real thing, and they destroy switches. There's no shortcut to good switches.
>>
>>101277731
Whatever bro lol you do you I don't care about your bullshit
>>
File: 1535393706389.jpg (34 KB, 263x360)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>101277777
>>
My first Neo80 setup to go with spring-swapped 16mm 45g broken-in lubed gateron milk top linears (GMTL1645BIL for short) was alu plate and brass pillar mount (essentially bottom mount). It was good, probably would have been nicer without the keychron caps which got 0 (you)s, set it up in cringe 6.25u spacebar layout for a joke that didn't land.

Anyway the day two build is different—tried to do gasket mount, the long flat gaskets not the little round ones (and not the O-ring). Sounded too "thocky" (both of us hate thock) so I compensated by switching to the carbon fiber plate to brighten it up. While swapping plates I also changed the layout around to 7u spacebar, stepped caps lock, put in some better stabs. Then finished with Shenpo beige caps. After using it all evening my brother agrees: it's definitely better. I thought carbon fiber plates were a meme but it really solved a problem here. And the slightly softer bottom-out of gasket mount (they're relatively firm rubber gaskets, mind you, not like poron foam squishy gaskets) is a nice complement to the constant bottoming-out of 45g linears.

so maybe it's not a Geon F1, but it's a really nice board. Would recommend (if it wasn't soulless TKL)

spacebar was a little hollow so I put a litle bit of polyester felt under it. Cut it smaller and smaller until it didn't distort surrounding keys, thinned it and tapered the edges. Might be placebo.
>>
>>101276593
>with good ergonomics
>100%
every 100% board is gonna have pretty similar ergonomics, I don't know what you mean
>>
>>101264591
>>101264252
>>
>>101264591
My bad thought a different post was replying. The K8 in the pic and I can return it, and red. Blue k70 prior
>>
File: mpvrbw0cik3b1.jpg (1.47 MB, 3300x2200)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>
>>101278589
I bet it would go great with DCS caps. Especially if you hate thock.
>>
>>101280514
if you can stretch a bit, the monokei standard is nice package, you can get it with mx reds for 100 but idk what shipping is
https://store.monokei.co/products/monokei-standard

100 is a pretty tight budget even for tkl. A keychron v3 max is a decent board, that would be a good choice. I say max not because of the wireless but because it's gasket mount, which is a nice upgrade over tray mount and worth the premium imo. gateron jupiter red will be comparable to cherry red.
>>
>>101280832
oops wrong quote meant for >>101264252

since I accidentally quoted I'll give a reply: "that shit's more expensive than the board itself. I'll think about it"
>>
>>101278589
Can't you do gaskets mount with alu plate?
>>
I want a keyboard that is made in USA, Japan or the EU, are there any other options than Unicomp and HHKB? I would buy one from Unicomp, but they only sell black keyboards with shit color scheme, plus delivery costs $100 so no and I am left with HHKB as the only option
>>
>>101281739
Realforce
>>
File: 1719714279058929.jpg (152 KB, 1080x1920)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>
Opinions on best mounting style and why? For me its Top mount since its a classic and sounds great. O-ring comes in 2nd if I wanted a softer bottom out.
>>
>>101281231
Yes of course you can. But when I set it up that way the sound was too low-pitched.
>>
Could someone hook me up with one of those Model M refurb vids?
>>
File: 1690909713432974.jpg (87 KB, 1296x1734)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Oh no
>>
File: 1709566614635354.jpg (476 KB, 1296x1734)
476 KB
476 KB JPG
>>101284312
fixed
>>
File: IMG_20200625_200919.jpg (1.53 MB, 1844x1000)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>101283380
Top mount is my favorite when done correctly, but there's a lot of bad top mounts.
>>101283990
There's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStgzMpOTOA
But you'd probably be better off looking up Bitten's Model M restoration guide (just search for it) as it's the most in-depth one and gives you the most options.
>>
File: Realforce R3.jpg (1.59 MB, 4032x2268)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
Mechanical keyboards are a meme.

You want real thock?
True end game?

Fuck mechanical switches.
Embrace Topre.

Hell this wasn't even that expensive, 240 eurobucks + import charges.

Needs 2x AA batteries for Bluetooth - just buy a 4-pack of IKEA LADDA 2450mAh and you're set for life.
Because this keyboard WILL outlive you.

Stop wasting your money on Chinkshit and RGB.
Buy once.
Buy Japanese.
>>
>>101285265
I am considering buying that 2nd hand HHKB pro 2 that I saw for 120 usd
>>
absolut mechanical keyboard beginner. currently using a filco majestouch 2 tkl (with I believe cherry red) for like the last 8 years and I want to switch to something new.

>budget
200-250€ if its actually any good
>layout
75? tkl something like that
>switches
I have seen keyboards where you can swap that stuff out, if its already complete then I guess cherry red. I just want a "fast press" with little noise.
>casing
preferably aluminium and in violet. this is difficult to find I guess.

anyone care to help out a retard? dunno where to start. thanks.
>>
>>101285265
Gook >>>>>>>>>>> Nip when it comes to keyboard autism
>>
>>101285461
Cycle8
>>
>>101285515
is this even out? from the looks of it, it looks like a group buy thing which I would like to avoid. I just want to buy money and receive a working product without having to wait for months.
>>
>>101285603
I'm sorry to say this but decent aluminum keyboards are usually group buy because they don't have the money to produce shit without doing a group buy
You can't wait for some in-stock sales if there are any
I think Geon have some frog 8k in stock
>>
>>101285649
>I'm sorry to say this but decent aluminum keyboards are usually group buy because they don't have the money to produce shit without doing a group buy
hmm makes sense but would that also mean lack of proper gc. from my limited research in the last 5 mintues I found a few reddit threads (yes I know) with people complaining about the lack of cycle7 gc. like I said I am a total beginner here maybe I am just writing shit. at least I now know its impossible to get full aluminium keyboards of the shelve.
>>
>>101285461
if you REALLY need violet, this alu tkl comes in violet but it's quite a bit over your budget and they only have WKL left:
https://cannonkeys.com/products/promise87-promise87-standard-edition
>>
>>101285461
https://keebsforall.com/products/pre-order-tb8-tkl-keyboard-kit for your budget
https://keebsforall.com/products/pre-order-f1-8x-v2-barebones-kit if you want to skip to end-game
https://geon.works/collections/frog-tkl-8k check this link tomorrow
>>
>>101285767
>>101285784
thanks bros. I will look into it.
>>
>>101285793
I am back. What do you guys think of this:
https://mechboards.co.uk/collections/keyboards/products/keychron-q3?variant=41352547336397

keychron q3. it has an aluminium casing iso layout and all I need to do is getting switches and key caps. slightly over my budget but looks perfect otherwise. what do you guys think.
>>
File: 1000023241.jpg (719 KB, 1780x1780)
719 KB
719 KB JPG
just arrived, oink
>>
>>101285968
Don't buy keychron Q series, anything else from them is ok though
>>
>>101286000
whats wrong with the q-series.
>>
>>101285265
I have multiple Topre keyboards. Still enjoy linears and clickies. Topre are certainly the kings of modern tactiles, though.
>>
>>101286013
They are not worth the prices compared to other boards in the same budget
>>
>>101285265
Show me a RealForce with white keys in ISO that actually exists and doesn't cost a kidney.
>>
>>101285968
I've heard some bad things about Q series, specifically people struggle to get rid of the case ping. I know it's not fun to wait but you'll get a much better board if you go for the TB8 anon linked.
>>
>>101285784
since he said euro you should link the eu vendor
https://keygem.com/products/tb8-pre-order
>>
>>101286277
thanks. I am not really in a rush nor is my current filco broken or anything. I will keep an eye out.
>>
>>101285461
Since you're new and not being an asshole, watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP3JB_RPp-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFek5uEv0zA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuosfCFhUpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_geFKfxDrFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbSDTE6RqWE
>>
>>101286332
thanks. I will watch that.
>>101286303
thanks for the eu link my man. gb ends in 6 days which is good so I still have this weekend to decide but this looks very promising especially the "Anodized Lavender". I have a few questions regarding some of the options if you don't mind answering.

>plate*
fr4, polycarbonate, flex cut aluminium / non flex cut aliminium ???
>pcb*
soldered/wired?
>weight*
what is that supposed to be?

what do I actually get once it arrives. how much work is left to do? do I have to put all the stuff together myself or do I just have to purchase mechanical switches/keycaps and put them in? sorry for the weird questions but most of that stuff isn't really self explanatory for someone who just wants a good keyboard without diving to much into this hobby.
>>
>>101286427
>plate*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLd2YK7Huew
>pcb*
pcb option if you want to solder your switches into the PCB yourself or you want a PCB with hotswap socket so you can just plug your switches in to it
>weight*
weight
>what do I actually get once it arrives. how much work is left to do? do I have to put all the stuff together myself or do I just have to purchase mechanical switches/keycaps and put them in? sorry for the weird questions but most of that stuff isn't really self explanatory for someone who just wants a good keyboard without diving to much into this hobby.
Not so much this is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atO1HsJm6Ls
>>
>>101286427
the weight makes the keyboard heavier and has some effect on sound also.

The different styles of weight on the Tb8 are also different materials; the most expensive, "brilliance", is made of brass and will add the most weight to the board.

All the plate options will perform a plate's basic job but the material used will have lots of different effects—I'll summarize what you can expect here:
-non flex cut aluminum: the standard. This is your go-to, a safe choice.
-flex cut: a bit higher pitched due to the cuts made into the plate, and if done badly this could make the sound inconsistent; but it has the advantage of slightly more flexible. Could provide a softer typing experience. Somewhat of a meme.
-fr4: pcb material used as a plate. A little more muted than aluminum, but similar sound profile and stiffness. Often perceiced as being a bit thockier, if you like that sort of thing.
-polycarbonate: not as nice for sound as aluminum but very flexible. often used to emulate the feel of plateless while still providing the function of a plate.

The way these materials influence loudness, tone, feel, etc is pretty complex and subtle, not easily summarized. It's oversimplifying a lot but: go for alu if you want a "classic" board, polycarb if you want it to feel as soft as possible, FR4 if you want the board a bit quieter or enjoy "creamy thocky asmr" keyboard content, and flex cut aluminum if you love hype products and meme tech

soldered plates require soldering to connect switches to the plate. hotswap can be assembled and disassembled easily like legos, but it's a little more expensive and hobbyists and purists don't always like it. Jury's out on whether it's as long-lasting.

wired means you have to connect via wire to your computer. Tri-mode will have bluetooth and wireless modes.

>how much work is left to do?
it takes an afternoon, but it's not particularly difficult or delicate work it just requires doing a few easy things 87 times each. cont'd
>>
>>101286928
>>101286427
as for switches/caps you buy them separately. You can get OK keycaps on Aliexpress for $20 or pretty good ones for $40. Gateron milk top switches will only run you another $25 or so on aliexpress, or you can buy meme hype switches for $50+ from keyboard vendors. Cheap Gaterons are pretty good but they don't come pre-lubed so if you prefer the sound and feel of a lubed switch you could look at spending a little more on something else. I think most run of the mill nylon 60g linears are a safe pick for most people.
>>
>>101286928
thanks for the write up. after watching some tb8 unboxing videos and your write up I believe I got the gist of it. the only thing I am still unclear of is the actual layout. from what I have seen and based on the layout of the "plate" its always an ansi layout, not that this would be a deal breaker or is there is still an option to use an iso layout especially for the bigger enter caps.
>>
>>101287015
tbf the new cherry mx comes pre-lubed and there are no more spring ping
>>
>>101208838
>>101209638
the best lube is time + no lube at all
you can safely ignore chink lube grifters on YouTube/Reddit/etc.
>>
File: IMG_0291.jpg (844 KB, 1125x1900)
844 KB
844 KB JPG
>>101287019
see this funny l-shaped cutout in the plate? that's so you can do a vertical stabilizer for ISO enter. The board supports ISO.

Just check that whatever pcb you pick also supports it.
>>
>>101287089
>Just check that whatever pcb you pick also supports it.

Hotswap Wireless 1.2mm RGB flex cut PCB. would that one support it. cant find more information other than that based on the group buy page.
>>
>>101285265
they're okay, for the price and BT that's embarrassing though
>>
>>101287130
Oh you're right it looks like the hotswap pcbs don't support ISO. The solder board does though.

It also looks like not all plates support ISO. If you go for ISO, that limits you to the FR4 plate or Polycarbonate.

That's too bad, the neo80's hotswap pcb and plates support all kinds of fun stuff including ISO layout. Neo80 rocks.
>>
>>101287511
its fine. I guess I will just pick the flex wired hotswap pcb and just learn how to use the smaller enter cap, its not really a deal breaker I think.

from my understand now the only the 2 things left to additionally purchase are switches (cherry red silent) (lubed non lubed?) and stabilizers (4x 2u and 1x 6,25/7) right?
>>
>>101286493
Deep fucking purple is such a great colour holy fuck
>>
>buy keykobo in-stock keycaps from keykobo.com
>forget about it for a little while
>hmm looks like it has been over a month since I ordered that and I got no updates on order status after the confirmation
>send email asking what's going on
>no response in three days
this is my first time being swindled by the elusive chinaman, feels bad. Aliexpress sellers never did me like this
>>
>>101288104
Keykobo are legit, aren't they? I've so many Keykobo's sets on many many vendor sites this year
>>
>>101287671
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32831318362.html
for stabs, I can vouch for these. don't know whether it's genuine cherry but it fits snug and works like it should. Not prelubed though. I keep forgetting how much of this stuff requires a bit of an up-front investment. Some 205g0 and cheap applicators from amazon is all you need

Silent reds... yuck. If you're new to this stuff you should consider trying mx blacks. silent reds are a noob trap

you'll need keycaps too ofc
>>
>>101288493
I thought they were! I don't know what's up. I won't be buying from them again unless it's through a local vendor I trust. (Even then I probably won't because they wronged me)
>>
I have a question. I'm not a keyboard autismo but I want to know the appeal of mechanical keyboards.
>>
>>101288995
feels gud when u press butan
>>
>>101288995
sound gud when u press butan
>>
>>101204551
I just bought a KBDcraft lego keyboard and I've never had to lube Stabi before, is there a reputable youtube video on the subject I would watch or something?
>>
>>101289598
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlSIIZqyQR0
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bgTLQatE48
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIaGllh-pYc
>>
>>101288995
butan look cool
>>
>>101288995
kibord look cool
>>
any of you builds pcbs?
>>
File: IMG_20230924_231943639.jpg (1.56 MB, 3508x2608)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>101291035
Sure.
>>
>>101291091
have you tried building one with bt micro controller? no nice nano bs, but the Bluetooth micro controller on the pcb itself
>>
>>101291107
Nah, not interested in wireless to be honest. That and it's not like I'm gonna use a different MCU after I designed my own.
>>
>>101291124
i am because I use a laptop and want to place it on top
>>
>>101291124
theoretically you could add all the components of a bluemicro to a keyboard pcb?
>>
>>101291165
I don't see why not. I'm sure there are resources out there for whatever parts in question.
>>
>>101291229
>I don't see why not
tracing, maybe
>>
>>101289751
Thanks, I'll look into this tomorrow.
>>
After having laid hands on my brother's neo80 I feel a kind of emptiness when I return to my own board, feeling POM on Nylon on Polycarbonate on Poron on ABS, plastic on plastic on plastic on plastic on plastic on.... it's all just plastic

Once you've felt the metal in your hands and heard the faintly discernible resonance of the metal and known what it's like to type on the metal it's sad to go back. I never noticed this difference from typing test videos, never really understood the repeated insistence on "you have to try full alu", etc. I always thought plastic boards were underrated. "What's so great about the sound of these aluminum boards in these videos? Who needs that?"

Now I know something I didn't know before. And I can't enjoy my V6 max like I did. It's hollow and plastic and cheap and sad. I need aluminum, nothing short of aluminum can satisfy me. Until I get it I want to stuff my keychron full of foam and fluff and anything else that will take the sound away so I can't hear how not-aluminum it is.
>>
File: 2024-07-03 11.24.49.jpg (1.48 MB, 3072x4080)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
looking to do a usb c port mod on an old trusty, corded keyboard i've used and cherished for the past 10 years. im not too knowledgeable in soldering and stuff but the task seems easy. my only issue is, from the few guides i've been able to find on the topic, their keyboard that they're modding has a usb connector with 4 wires, while mine has 4. i assume these are the same wires, yet mine has an extra shielded ground or something? does anyone know how I should proceed? can this 5th wire just be ignored? connected and soldered together with the black ground? i was looking to use one of the usb c breakouts available on adafruit for this. any help appreciated
>>
>>101286332
absolute cringecore
>>
>>101286332
blacksimon is ok as keyboard enjoyers go but this is a lame way to start

starting out should involve watching a bunch of keyboard build and sound test videos and going "ooh I want that", then you follow up with videos about how to build keyboard, etc
>>
>>101293031
Yea, probably just another GND or shield. You can double check what it is with a DMM.
>>
talk me out of ordering keycaps from Mode, I think they look good
>>
>>101293369
https://kbdfans.com/collections/keycaps/products/pbtfans-doubleshot-wob?variant=40342537273483
>>
thought on this set?
https://cannonkeys.com/products/pre-order-gmk-fuji
I want something plain with a little flavor
>>
>>101294053
looks nice besides the price
>>
Why does my bridge 75 keep blinking in wireless mode? it's annoying
>>
Can anyone recommend a keyboard or some options with a headphone and microphone jack. It's awkward to connect my headphone and mic to computer directly
>>
What's a good low profile keyboard?
>>
>>101285265
topre feels like shit
>>
how are aliexpress numpads?
looking at the epomaker ek21 and nexttime nt19 which seem decent for the money - would've loved the Keychron Q0 but I really can't justify that kind of money
>>
>>101294053
That's an obscene price for gmk. Please don't give them your money
>>
>>101296611
monokei systems
>>
>>101297900
NTA but yeah, I stopped looking at GMK after buying a set (Hineybeige) from them for $150 with shipping. I'm just sniping good Keykobo 2nd hand deals from my local used market now.
>>
>>101295294
I thought so
>>101297900
Canonkeys often cut the prices in half so I'll be waiting for that, I'm not gonna pay full price
>>
>>101298077
>>101298077
>>101298077
we survived another round

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.