[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: coop.jpg (1.02 MB, 1327x900)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
rural racks edition

previous: >>101285129

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/PFsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin/Emby/Plex to replace Netflix, Nextcloud to replace Googlel, Ampache/Navidrome to replace Spotify, the list goes on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your tech skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Cool stuff to host: https://gitlab.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted
RouterOS's: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
https://reddit.com/r/datahoarder
https://www.labgopher.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LHvT2fRp7I6Hf18LcSzsNnjp10VI-odvwZpQZKv_NCI
Cheap disks: https://shucks.top/ https://diskprices.com/

Remember:
RAID protects you from DOWNTIME
BACKUPS protect you from DATA LOSS
>>
epoxy on my ram and rom
>>
File: images(4).jpg (13 KB, 197x256)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>new thread you guys
>>
Post you're racks
>>
Why the fuck did intel fuck everything up. I want to just use a shitty i3-13100 AND ECC.
>>
File: 1698854323000931.png (28 KB, 597x243)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
Real fucking tempted but I don't even have any of the other hardware to start making my NAS
>>
>>101312571
There's absolutely no reason the 12100 didn't have ECC and AVX512 support
>>
File: dell.jpg (48 KB, 774x351)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>101312635
you can always start somewhere
>>
>>101312571
>>101312641
Just get a w series chipset board you tards
Blame the board vendors for not selling them in decent enough quantity if they are hard to find
>>
thoughts on raid1/mirroring? seems like a waste to throw away 50% of storage compared with other options, but at the same time really easy to do expansions, just add 2 more drives each time
>>
>>101312691
That's a nice price
>>
whats good satellite internet?
>>101312691
get hp z220 because you can coreboot it
>>
>>101312693
An i3-13100 doesn't support ECC regardless of board.
Just get a Xeon E-2314 / Xeon E-2324G / Xeon E-2334 / Xeon E-2414 / Xeon E-2434 or similar if you want a low-end server CPU with ECC.
>>
>>101312699
Mandatory.
>>
>>101312693
If I'm spending that much on a board, I might as well just go with a SOC like an atom. Purely for a 10 HDD ZFS pool NAS, I don't really need a shitton of CPU power (unless I'm retarded which I may be as I bought these drives without checking my two current cases)
>>
File: 1719706036278006.png (184 KB, 509x438)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>>101312508
Consoomerist general
>>
I'm a poorfag shopping NAS motherboards on AliExpress
I remember reading I should avoid certain SATA interface chips. Was that JMicron or AsMedia? Or just all non-CPU-sourced SATA interfaces are bad?
>>
>>101312508
I honestly cannot comprehend the need for massive amounts of personal storage. What are you storing? I have plenty of room for all of the games, pictures, movies, etc on my computer. Are you just that dedicated to seeding?
>>
File: raidz2.png (37 KB, 760x273)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>101312699
>>101312785
sorry, i meant raid1/mirroring compared with raidz-2 or something like that where you don't lose so much storage, but it's a mess to expand. also heard it's not good to use raidz-2 with anything bigger than 1TB drive, but that sounds really small for the current year?
>>
>>101312873
RAID10 (striped mirrors) for HDDs nonetheless, because they are too slow to be used with anything else. Drives can be any size
My opinions there: >>101295034.

>Choosing The BEST Drive Layout For Your NAS
https://invidious.fi/watch?v=ykhaXo6m-04

If you must use RAID-Z, I prefer only doing it with SSD / NVMe drives and not wide vdevs.
>>
>>101312801
>>101312691
the duality of man
>>
>>101312926
yes, it seems like striped mirrors is the best solution, just losing 50% of storage makes me sad but i'll have to deal with it.

also read something about raidz not helping with data degradation? just with disk failure? but striped mirrors helps with data degradation? not sure to what degree that is true
>>
okay /hsg/ I had the stupid torrent question last thread,
I've created a torrent using the CLI as a test, however
I cannot load the torrent into qbt, as the webUI only allows me to upload things from my client pc, when I transfer the torrent file to my client pc to load it into qbt, it sits at 0% and stalled
>>
>>101313042
>>>/g/sqt/
You have to enable uPnP for first time seeding, or, DMZ your host
None of the above are recommended by any means
Also, have you added your torrent to a tracker?
>>
>>101313088
I know all that shit
Normally it should show 100%seeding even if there's an incorrect tracker url/not uploaded, just 0 peers
qbt thinks I don't even have the files now
>>
>>101313125
>I know all that shit
user problem then
>>
>>101312761
It's literally not up to the CPU
It's why Ark doesn't mention ECC on the CPU pages anymore for 13th gen. It's chipset dependent
>>
Finally setup ssh for my Cisco switch. The need for adding a local ssh config so that I can use insecure KexAlgorithms was a little surprising. Is it possible to use key authentication instead of password btw?

Also, I set the domain name with 'ip domain name home.lab', but it's not like I'm able to do ssh user@home.lab with it, so what is it for? 'domain-name' didn't work in the command, so I tried without the hyphen instead, so maybe I didn't do what I was hoping to do?
>>
>>101313392
https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/ip-domain-name/td-p/1119110
>>
>>101310407
Help me avoid taxes guys. What do you do when you ship from China to Europe on ebay?
>>
vyI currently have a RPi4 serving as a NAS, another RPi4 download torrents to this NAS, then Kodi on my Android TV to access the medias, I use ZeroTier on the NAS and on my laptop or smartphone to access my NAS.
I'm replacing all my RPi at home with a single Synology, and so the question of using Plex instead of Kodi + SMB / MPV/VLC + SMB over ZeroTier is popping.
I delete my medias after watching them, I'm the only user so far (wife doesn't care too much about this), I'll replace ZeroTier with WireGuard (wg-easy).
Also I won't be home for a month soon, with meh internet connection, I'll probably grab a CCwGoogle TV with everything already installed and setup instead of plugging my laptop.

Is Plex a better solution ? I don't see the need of transcoding so far.

Is there a better/alternative solution for music ?
>>
>>101313344
Retard. Not only it is chipset dependent, it depends on the CPU. 13400 and below, and F SKUs don't support ECC, but others do, and you can find ECC memory support listed in Ark for the 13th generation for the CPUs which support it.
>>
Im too scared to port forward wdid
>>
>>101313392
>Is it possible to use key authentication instead of password btw?
Yes,
ip ssh pubkey-chain
in (config) mode.
>Also, I set the domain name with 'ip domain name home.lab', but it's not like I'm able to do ssh user@home.lab with it, so what is it for?
Hostname resolution. Equivalent of "search" option of
/etc/resolv.conf
on GNU/Linux.
>Defines a default domain name that the Cisco IOS software uses to complete unqualified host names (names without a dotted-decimal domain name). Do not include the initial period that separates an unqualified name from the domain name.
>>
>>101313168
I figured it out thanks for nothing and fuck you
>>
>>101313782
>there a better/alternative solution for music
navidrome maybe?
>>
>>101312805
all of them, that includes JMicron, AsMedia and Marvell.
Sadly those NAS boards mostly have Atoms, which have very few IO (typically 2 SATA and very few PCIe lanes). If you have 4x or 8x PCIe slot you could use an HBA SAS card to add more SATA drives.
>>
>>101313851
Still asking for password. The step, which wasn't explained in Cisco's docs, where you had to split the public key into 72 character lines was kinda cancer, ngl.
>>
>>101313907
ok retard hope a nigger destroys your backdoor
>>
>>101313577
>Help me avoid taxes guys
use ebay.de
>>
File: chrome_CqgNv0v02f.png (761 KB, 1035x736)
761 KB
761 KB PNG
I got a LSI SAS3008 9300-8i for my backup/off site server and it's driving me nuts. It refuses to work on a b550 motherboard. I got it in the x16 slot. Sure, it lit up in some ancient asus P5E WS motherboard that doesn't even have PCIe 3, but it can't even light up on a modern one?
Is there some setting that is barring it from functioning? It's in IT mode too.
>>
File: 1593731058545.jpg (18 KB, 474x266)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Is there an off the shelf solution for a home NAS? I don't want any over the top apps, I don't need remote access past just ssh, and I don't care about an "ecosystem"

It sounds like I could just build a cheap mini ITX Linux PC with a few drives and set up samba. I'm just looking for cheap data redundancy and low idle power. Any suggestions other than just building something myself? Looking for <= $1000
>>
>>101312635
>SATA
>Enterprise
>>
>>101315685
Synology?
>>
>>101315685
>Is there an off the shelf solution for a home NAS?
Synology DiskStation DS923+
But the drives will put you over a grand.
I guess you could get one of the Synology 2-Bay DiskStation DS723+ nas boxes and throw a pair of 18gb drives in there , that would keep you under a grand if you shop around for drives
>>
>>101315685
QNAP might be cheaper than Synology.
See QNAPs everywhere at businesses handling VEEAM backups.
>>
>have a few devices with 2.5GbE support
>2.5GbE switches are either expensive or not backwards compatible with 1GbE
Ideally, I'd like a switch that can do 1/2.5/10 GbE that is cheap. An SFP+ switch could work, but the multi-gig transceivers are pretty damn expensive. Any suggestions?
>>
>>101316010
>>101315985
I looked into Synology but it feels a little ZOG'd to me. I don't want whatever box I buy/build to be accessible outside my home VLAN. And I certainly don't want apps and cloud services phoning home. Is it possible to configure Synology devices/"cloud" to be locked down with no telemetry? Sorry, I haven't read much about it, but their landing page implies needing to adopt a bunch of Synology branded software and tools.
>>
File: 1720396248783.png (1.11 MB, 1889x2048)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>101316031
Just get one of those chink 2.5g switchs with a few sfp+ slots they cost nothing these days.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805806601417.html
Serve the home tested a bunch from this brand and others they work fine.
>>
>>101316069
Just slap an HBA into an i3 optiplex, get some x3 5.25 HDD enclosures, a molex/sata power extension or something and call it a day if you're that worried about a gay and/or jewish company.
>>
My router is dying. It keeps rebooting for no reason. I'm going to factory reset it and start over: but if that doesn't work I'm buying a router for the frost time since 2016.

I have no idea what to buy. What brands should I avoid?
>>
>>101316031
Why do you want 2.5 GbE?
>>
>>101316124
Do they work well?
>>101316517
I have a wifi 6E AP that supports it, as well as 2 desktops that have 2.5GbE support on the mobo.
>>
>>101312860
I don't want Windows managing anything with my large disks. Had to have something else take over the windows' controller/driver just so a disk would stop making concerning sounds randomly.
Also because my backups are a mess and I wanted to collect it all on in one spot separate from Windows.

>>101315685
>>101316069
How many disks?
1+backup can be handled with any SFF you get off ebay. Mirrored pair can be done with a specific variety of HP SFF. But both could get you access to a pcie connected jbod if you wish to expand later. Or run a raw cable mess like the other anon suggested.
Between 4 disks and 12, diy is probably best. After that you're likely to end up with used rackmount.
>>
>>101316124
Thoughts on https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805670597996.html ?
Bit confused on how it can support 802.3bt but has a 65W input. Lol
>>
where do you find old corporate/government hardware? i dont trust these random ebay chinks
>>
>101312631
Show me a single PA or Fortigate FW model that's particular more price competitive than OpenSense's entry level range. We both know PA won't be in it.
>>
>>101317115
Contacted them. They're sending me a 120W PSU with the order for free.
>>
>>101316831
>raw cable mess

Hey now, no one said he couldn't clean it up and present it neatly. A couple of zipties, some sleeves, a 3D printed box for the drive slot hotswap enclosure. I bet you can find a 12v wall wart for the the SATA/molex power situation too.
>>
>>101316831
For DIY (not that guy btw) that I plan to stash in my home office, do you have any recommendations for quiet and preferably also high-capacity HDDs?

I have an abundance of SATA with 8 ports total on my mobo, but only 12 available Pcie 3.0 lanes max across 2-3x M.2 slots, in which I somewhere need to account for a mirrored boot drive config. Being also a poorfag, with SSDs being too expensive to buy in any capacity >1.92TiB, I worry I might have to use my M.2 slots for boot then pretty much all-mechanical with <10TB 5x00 rpm drives in the rest to make the noise level tolerable, giving me a slow NAS in the end with ultimately very little space (as I need to set half of these things as mirrors).

My last experience with mech drives was a 1TB WD blue and the driver going “thunk” drove me mental, but apparently this is way worse now and if you stuff a DS923+ with WDGS Enterprise drives it’ll vibrate off a damn table.
>>
File: file.png (256 KB, 600x600)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
anyone have opinions on this case?
Aerocool Cipher
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/vm4xhg/aerocool_released_a_new_case_for_data_hoarders/
they say it might be loud as fuck
i plan to use it with pc that will have proxmox + vm of truenas + vm of desktop windows/linux for gaming with gpu passthrough for gaming, so it won't be hidden in the basement

also is idea with gaming in proxmox vm stupid idea? it is hard to setup?
>>
>>101318767
Manufacturer recertified hgst enterprise helium drives can be found for 10$/TB
>>
>>101316022
>QNAP might be cheaper than Synology.
>See QNAPs everywhere at businesses handling VEEAM backups.
didn't QNAP get ransomwared in 2021? i guess should be ok as long as it stays inside your LAN and only access it through VPN if you are outside
>>
>>101319573
Why tower chassis and not rackmounted?
>also is idea with gaming in proxmox vm stupid idea?
Yes.
>it is hard to setup?
Particularly, Windows virtual desktop licensing and agreements will be.
>>
>>1013138
vpn node on a vps
>>
>>101320098
tower is more kino
>>
>>101319573
seems fine. buy now! buy now! before they jack up the price on it yet another 50%
>>
>>101319573
What specs?
>>
>>101320691
you mean case or my current pc components?
case has 12 slots for hdd drives, but i dont plan for soo many i would just use 4 for the time being

if components then
64GB of RAM
Intel i7-7700K processor
Nvidia GeForce 1060 6GB GDDR5 graphics card
550W PSU

>>101320098
thanks for reply
>Why tower chassis and not rackmounted?
because i dont plan to have rack that is loud as fuck in my commieblock im living in a flat 45m^3, not american standalone house so i dont have basement
>>
>>101320741
You may not have a plan to have a rack, but rackservers at home are not loud.
>R730: 28 dBA - 33 dBA
>R740: 33 dBA - 36 dBA

Also get rid of that desktop e-waste, it's not suitable for a server anyway.
>>
Do not reply to enterpriseschizo
>>
bunch of net and disk activity all of a sudden and i have no idea wtf it was
>>
>>101319573
>also is idea with gaming in proxmox vm stupid idea? it is hard to setup?
VM gaming can be troublesome for a couple of reasons
>Anti cheat detecting the VM and refusing to work.
>Passthrough in general, motherboards are a lottery when it comes to IOMMU grouping implementation, some group a lot of devices, some have all of them in each group.
>General audio glitches
>>
>>101315563
Is it one of those boards that will only do x16/x4 instead of x8/x8? Most PCI-E things do graceful performance degradation if you give them fewer lanes then the maximum they can use but I've seen HBAs that say x8 and mean it and won't do anything if you only give them four lanes.
>>
>>101315563
>>101321853
I have the same model HBA in a literal 1x slot on a Z690 board
Card may be bad
>>
If I'm mass downloading music from Spotify (via zotify) for Navidrome on my homelab, what's the best and easiest way to not get my account banned?

Can I just do it through my own account?
Should I make a burner account on my family plan?
Or should I make a completely seperate account?
>>
>>101322774
separate account and different ip address than you usually use
but also why are you downloading from spotify when better sources exist?

and also why stream it to yourself instead of syncing the music to your devices?
>>
I want to use Ceph, but IB/RDMA isn't supported. What should I use instead, enterprisebros?
>>
File: file.png (40 KB, 618x288)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>A8-3850 quad core processor
>8gb ram
>240gb ssd
>25-30w power usage
is pic rel good enough for an opnsense router? I know the ram and ssd are fine, but I'm concerned about the CPU since I want 10gbit traffic.

I will have a switch connected to it, so I think it would only handle traffic between the lan and the wan, but I'm not sure how that works.
>>
>>101317115
Damn you got a switch with all the toys. Imagine how much that would have cost from Netgear.
>>
>>101317280
>where do you find old corporate/government hardware?
Government auction sites. Probably not the best place for you to get stuff since they usually sell hardware by the pallet.
>>
>>101323799
Ended up going with this one which has a console port as well: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805671344834.html
I should've looked around their products some more because they actually have cheaper switches that fulfill my needs(and some have more ports? the prices are all over the place), but whatever.
>>
>>101323584
>is pic rel good enough for an opnsense router?
yes
>I'm not sure how that works
Let's see
>LAN
I'm assuming you'll add a 10Gbit card for your LAN, so, given your card is PCI-e 2.0 you want to get card that has a x8 interface. 2.0 x4 is the bare minimum for 10Gbit.
>WAN/Routing
Assuming you don't have a managed switch you just have to plug your WAN to the onboard, switch to your PCI-e 10Gbit card, configure opnsense accordingly and you're set.

The hard/interesting way:
>Onboard's a shit, let's build router-on-a-stick
Get a managed switch with 10Gbit ports, only plug your PCI-e card, create VLAN for WAN, add VLAN to opnsense (should look like another interface), configure accordingly, profit.

I suggest you go the hard way, it's more fun, you get to learn VLAN's and you can do more shit with that knowledge.
>>
File: perfect.png (23 KB, 1197x304)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>101324448
>router-on-a-stick
I hope he doesn't have to deal with this. lol
>>
>>101324488
true,
btw >>101323584 strong suggestion to go pfsense instead
>>
>>101321499
>rackservers at home are not loud.
yes they are loud. rack servers (plural as in more than one) are quite loud. they don't magically get silent when running outside a datacenter.
a youtube search for "[dell model] noise" is quite useful
>>
>>101324906
if youre stupid and dont swap out the industrial 10k RPM fans, yes they're loud. 99% people who have home labs tinker with their servers and can get them to be quiet. mine is barely audible.
>>
build in a 3U case and you can fit 120mm fans, my rack is barely audible

get standardized supermicro crap instead of propiretary dell crap
>>
I have 2x 4U Supermicro servers in my 15U rack and i can drop a threading needle on my desk and hear it.
>>
Y'all are pussies. There's nothing wrong with noise.
>>
>>101325024
just seems kinda silly to recommend used enterprise servers instead of dyi builds for these basic homelab needs, but then when dealing with the obvious loud noise be like
>jusy diy it bro swap some shit out put silent shit in
nah, if i want silence i'll build something silent from the start, thank you very much.
>>
SAS drives came in. Any recommendations for a script to test them in bulk?
>>
>>101315563
I think its a bad card. I have a msi b550 motherboard running a 9400-16i card and a total network noob. Worked right out of the box for me. I'd send it back and get a new card.

This is $130 and not a housefire like a 9300 series card:
https://serverpartdeals.com/collections/host-bus-adapters-hba
>>
>>101325308
i'd just long smart test them
>>
File: ihave.jpg (112 KB, 1004x565)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>101298460

Windmill faggot here.

Installed a new platinum PSU into my server. Replacing a 14 year old antec chinkshit truepower 750w (not even bronze certified). I measured a few things regarding power with various home server shit at wall plug. Not I don't care about your enterprise shit or your american "who cares free power" virtue signalling.

Test methodology:
I measured idle +5 minutes after Truenas login screen to work out all the background waking up processes Truenas does. I measured load as an intensive copy of 100gb of photos from one 6 HDD array to the other (lots of small files, using the HBA fully 6hdds -> hdds all through the HBA).

Test rig:
5600x AyyyMD (-20 undervolt)
b550 MSI pro board (bios set to eco green mode 45w) headless no GPU (integrated or otherwise)
32gb (16gbx2)Kingston ECC unbuffered server ram stock settings
12 x 4TB WD Red in 2 (6) drive ZFS2 arrays SATA not SAS
1x64gb SATA SSD for Truenas Dragonfish Scale OS boot drive
1x512gb m2 samsung sm951 (OG-shit) software, L2arc cache drive
3x120mm scythe gentle typhoon fans
1xLSI 9400-16i HBA in main PCI slot

Original PSU Server Power Check:
idle 105W - 110W (load 130-140W)

NO HDD's (all 12 physically disconnected-Original PSU- HBA still plugged in board):
idle 60W - 62W (load n/a)

NO HDD's NO HBA (all 12 physically disconnected-Original PSU- HBA physically removed):
idle 45-48W (load n/a)

NEW PSU (titanium) (all drives - HBA everything plugged in)
idle 88-90w (load 95-100w)

Key Findings:
HBA uses almost 13-15w just being plugged in with no drives connected
WD Reds use surprisingly little power 3.5W (idle) - 6.5W (load)
Switching PSU from e-waste tier to top titanium tier saved 20w on idle and 40w on load. Totally not worth justifying a switch, but if building from scratch does make sense for a 24/7/365 home server. In euro-cucked Germany (0.41 kwh), you can pay back the cost of a new titanium PSU in just one year.

Thanks for reading my blog. I love my data!
>>
>>101325970
yeah buddy most HBAs are little computers inside
>platinum
lol wake me up when they make platinum rated 300w psus. then ill get interested in that gameroil
>>
>>101325970
I would be curious about your idle watts when using a non-chiplet cpu like 4650G
Also a pico psu + 330W 7.4mm Dell AC Adapter

But nice test thanks for sharing
>>
/g/entoomen, I have a chance to get a free HP microserver from work. I've got 2 to choose from, either a gen8 (intel based) or gen10 (amd based). Basically going to be running it as a NAS and basic server, don't need anything super powerful so this works well for me.
Between the 2 I'm leaning towards the gen8, it's an upgradable 1155 socket xeon so have plenty of options to choose from, plus have a spare 1265lv2 kicking around I should be able to use as an upgrade. AMD is lower power stock, but power/performance figures seem to be roughly on par with the older intel chips so don't see much of a reason to go with the newer one aside from DDR4 which would be nice I guess. Am i being a retard and should go for the gen10 for some reason, or is the gen8 a better machine overall?
Don't know which CPU is in the gen10 btw, as far as I can tell these are non upgradable so I'll be stuck with whatevers in there, unlike the gen8
>>
How botnetted is zerotier?
It looks better than tailscale at first glance, any experiences?
>>
>>101326030
>platinum rated 300w psus.
They already do that in flex atx and other meme formats for the tiny box sissies
>>
>>101326178
Thanks. This was mainly leftover parts so I had an atx psu to start. Not sure if a pico psu could run that many hdd drives, but I haven't spent a lot of time investigating it. THere is probably a simple adapter, but I wasnt' sure if the BIOS alter spin up time settting would work and fry the pico.

I got the Seasonic TX-700 fanless titanium psu for $100 during a 4th july sale so thats why I got it. I reviewed this seeing how the power efficiency held at the bottom end of use cases. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/seasonic-prime-fanless-700-w/5.html

Again for most americans saving $30 a year is not worth it (and I agree) but if starting from scratch, I cannot fathom trying to get a shit e-waste 80+ bronze psu to save like $30 either considering how cheap titanium psu's are.
>>
>>101326030
OK. You are smarter than me. I didn't think a single card 100% idle would use 15w. Lord knows what the 9308-16i abomination uses.
>>
>>101326390
I have one of those 16i cards (idk if its a 9308 or a different one though, I forget) and it's 20-something watts. The heatsink is significantly bigger but still not really adequate because it assumes it'll be in a howling gale, I stuck a slot fan next to it. It's okay for me because it's in a large case and that's the machine that makes my backups, it let me hook up a huge pile of random drives and I just turn it on to sync to it and occasionally scrub it, so it's not constantly running.
>>
>>101326228
>Don't know which CPU is in the gen10 btw
could be EPYC or some slow Opteron, you should find out

>>101326344
>for the tiny box sissies
say that to my face not online, see what happens
>>
>>101326390
not a lot more
why on earth would it have to scale linearly
>>
>>101326491
he doesnt mean u or me, he meant the tinimucromeme crowd
>>
File: IMG_7360.jpg (207 KB, 527x734)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>101326390
also its not bc in smarter, its because id seen this rare-to-me block diagram
>>
>>101325829
I'll long smart test your mom
thanks
>>
>>101326532
NTA but does this at least allow the cpu to idle properly?
or it sucks 15W AND ALSO stops the cpu from going beyond C2/3?
>>
>>101326557
how should i know lmao
u want to play home enterprise
then you pay the 15w price
i do
>>
Am I right to understand trunk mode as creating a bridge between, say, one port (WAN) with VLANs (with their respective ports) that require internet access?

Also, should I disable VLAN 1 after setting things up?
>>
>>101326626
>one port with VLANs that require internet access
That's a bit too specific, a better way to understand a trunk port (at least for me) is that a trunk port is a port that serves as a bridge to multiple LAN's, so if I have a server that needs access to multiple VLAN's then it should be connected to a trunk port and that trunk should belong to both VLAN's.

>should I disable VLAN 1 after setting things up?
No, it's never advised to disable VLAN1, it's the default one. What are you trying to accomplish?
>>
>>101326662
Thanks. Just want to set things up correctly. Right now I've followed a guide which sets 'ip address dhcp' for VLAN 1, which I think probably makes the management for the switch open for the whole network, which is probably bad practice? So instead of 'shutdown' I should probably do 'no ip address dhcp' or something after making a management VLAN, right?
>>
>>101326803
I suggest you first layout your network topology either in your head or in a paper, you can start by asking yourself the following questions:
>Do I have/want a router that grants internet access for my LAN?
>If so, who do I want to manage DHCP? The router? Or the switch? (Recommended: router)
Keep in mind that only one DHCP service should be available in a network
That said, we still don't know what you're trying to accomplish, router on a stick?
>>
File: Graylog-logo-blk.jpg (82 KB, 2201x920)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
anyone use graylog?
>>
>>101325024
Rackserver fans are meant to be high static pressure. PWM will handle the noise.
Not only that, but Dell PowerEdge servers have proprietary 9,000+ RPM fans, so there's nothing to really swap to. And it's quiet.
>>
>>101325970
>12 x 4TB WD Red in 2 (6) drive ZFS2 arrays SATA not SAS
Rookie mistake.
>>
>>101326888
I'll have a mini PC with opnsense between the ISP modem and my switch, but for now my switch is directly connected to the modem.

I want the switch to handle VLANs, some should be without internet access. All devices currently connected have internet access right now, including my WAP (which supports VLANs, if they exist). For a management interface, I was thinking a PiKVM, which would be the only entry point to my local network through a wireguard tunnel.

Posted a network topology map I had in mind some time back, but it's toddler level now.
>>
>>101327183
Got it, is your switch a managed one?
>>
>>101326626
>>101326662
Cisco best practice is to avoid VLAN 1 and shutdown it. Barring any DHCP + TFTP to do initial bootstrap configuration for switches.
>>
is it still worth doing sysadmin as a career? I have no idea what this field is like in a professional setting. Is AI going to make sysadmin jobs obsolete within the next 10 years? is everything in the cloud now?

someone from the industry can you please weigh in.
>>
>>101327202
Yessir. C3850.

>>101327216
So 'shutdown' VLAN 1 after trunk to VLANs that require internet?
>>
>>101327238
>is it still worth doing sysadmin as a career?
Yes
>Is AI going to make sysadmin jobs obsolete within the next 10 years?
No
>is everything in the cloud now?
Yes, no serious company hosts their own shit (besides the obvious ones)

>>101327250
Ok, what you want to do is:
- Create VLAN for your ISP modem, say VLAN2, configure 2 ports, one untagged for your modem and the other tagged (trunk) for your opnsense
- Modify VLAN1, remove the port connected to your modem
- Boot your opnsense, add VLAN with ID 2, this will be your WAN
- Opnsense should see VLAN2 as another network interface, this will be your WAN
So:
>VLAN1 -> LAN
>VLAN2 -> WAN
>>
File: comfy.png (85 KB, 1015x764)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>
>>101322808
Noted, thanks
My playlists are very random, so sourcing individual songs of at least 320kb elsewhere is tedious. I guess I could trawl through soulseek, but for now zotify works pretty great on smaller playlists

I'd like to have as much music as possible available to me, but I don't always want it all synced to my phone, laptop, etc. because of space
>>
>>101327439
I prefer Deezer
>>
>>101327329
I'll probably dare messing with VLANs tomorrow. Only recently set up ssh, and I don't want to go back to serial console (too far away). I was thinking of delaying setting up the firewall until after I had the other stuff setup though. I've got 6 VLANs planned so far:
>WAN
Currently connected to modem, to be connected to firewall.
>LAN
Trusted devices like fileserver, laptop, etc.
>GUEST
Literally for visitors, maybe not necessary.
>DMZ
Webservers, i2p, playatation, guests?
>DARK
No internet access devices like IP cameras, IoT, etc.
>MAN
Management VLAN, probably just the PiKVM.

Any opinion on numbering convention? VLAN 10, 20, 30... vs 100, 200, 300...?
>>
>>101312508
comfy pic
>>
>>101327238
yes, in my experience it was easier getting a sysadmin job than a programming one (also i ended up liking sysadmin stuff more)
>Is AI going to make sysadmin jobs obsolete within the next 10 years?
no, if anything someone has to manage all those AI servers
>is everything in the cloud now?
no, I manage our own colocated compute cluster at my job. Long-term cloud pricing can't compete with owning your own servers.
>t. head sysadmin of an AI R&D company branch
>>
>>101327602
What are some must-have books&certs on this subject, if you don't mind me asking
>>
File: 1720473016981.jpg (261 KB, 1914x1048)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
>>101326512
>he doesnt mean u or me, he meant the tinimucromeme crowd
Yeah exactly. Though it is funny to picture one of the posters here with a full rack of big servers and then a tiny litte meme build on their desk.
>>
>>101327602
what's the career path to getting into this? IE, If I dont have a degree in computer science, how would I go about getting in
>>
>>101327569
666 or 999 for blackhole VLAN. Assigned to shutdown ports. Cisco isn't consistent with following 10, 20, 30 names.
>>
>>101327684
10 inch rack is the funniest meme
>>
>>101327684
literally me
>>
>>101327176
Lol. Why just curious? Using SATA not SAS? Or too many disks in an array? Roast me bro. I can take it.
>>
>>101327661
i wouldn't know, i never got any certs.
Same with books, i mostly self-taught myself whatever admin-related topics by fucking around with Linux and networking gear from online guides and documentation.
Though right now i'm reading "TCP/IP illustrated" to get a proper grasp of the networking stack, so far seems like a nice book with practical examples, would recommend.
Probably best would be to have a general grasp on Linux, networking, VMs, containers.
Then some monitoring (e.g. Prometheus, Grafana), infrastructure automation (e.g. Ansible), clustering (e.g. Kubernetes), filesystems (e.g. ZFS) etc.
>>101327692
hard to say, since i got in with a degree.
I'd hope at least that there's less of codility-like job reviews. I got a normal face-to-face job review outright, while when previously trying to land a programming job i was always barraged by those humiliating online programming reviews with no human in sight, it was really discouraging.
Maybe try to show off some repos with admin-related things? (examples: automation scripts, self-written ansible modules/Kubernetes webhooks/Prometheus exporters/Grafana dashboards/etc, contributions to open source projects related to administration)
>>
>>101327569
>Any opinion on numbering convention?
I try group ports and VLAN's like VLAN4 -> Port4 just for the sake of keeping track of them. Also keep in mind you'll have to configure opnsense for each of these VLAN's. If I were you I'd opt for pfsense instead.
>>
>>101328097
does ansible/kubernetes have any use in a home environment? everything else im already well familiar with
>>
>>101328306
Ansible could be useful when you have multiple devices (multiple PCs, laptops etc.), i like to write an Ansible playbook whenever i'm done setting up some new service/changing some config/etc.
I only have a server, PC and a laptop so it's still more work than just doing everything manually on each of them, but it also serves as documentation and it's harder to forget if you changed something on one device but not on the other.
Kubernetes for home feels to me like overkill, but if you have some simple services that don't require much compute or storage you could grab a couple SFF machines (even something as small and cheap as Wyse 3040) and set them up in a cluster, sounds like a fun exercise, with some purpose too as you could run highly-available services on it.
If not, then you could always spin a couple of VMs just to learn Kubernetes.
>everything else im already well familiar with
good job anon, then you already know more than when i started my job
>>
>>101324499
why pfsense instead of opnsense? based on its version history, opnsense seems like it gets updated much more frequently
>>101324448
I'm probably going to get a mikrotik router since they're cheap and have the connectivity I need.

Not sure what a router on a stick is. Would I even need 10gbit on the router if the switch is managed?
>>
>>101328513
>why pfsense instead of opnsense?
It's better supported, more stable and has better documentation. More updates doesn't mean better.

Mikrotiks are good.
>Not sure what a router on a stick is.
Is making your own router with a device that has a single ethernet port (regular routers require 2, one for LAN, another for WAN).
>Would I even need 10gbit on the router if the switch is managed?
No, you only need 10Gbit on your switch
>>
>>101328628
>better supported, more stable and has better documentation
source?
>>
What do you guys use to remind yourselves to do tasks? Should I use home assistant or nextcloud?

I want trash night reminders, air filter replacements, and so on.
>>
>>101328797
cron jobs that email me
>>
>>101328628
pfsense isn't more stable.
pfsense doesn't have better documentation.
>>
>>101328800
What dispatches the email? That sounds enticingly simple, but I have a bunch of NFC tags and wanted to try the home assistant route.
>>
>>101328795
my ass, but you go and see for yourself
>>
>>101328849
I wrote a small script that allows me to easily categorize emails, but you can just use mailx. I'm not very familiar with home assistant and I don't understand what NFC tags have anything to do with this, but I think you might be overcomplicating this.
>>
>>101328797
Nextcloud calendar events for things like trash day, tasks.org with nextcloud for everyday reminders.
>>
>>101315685
I use mini thinkstations/optiplexes for this sort of thing, they can usually have 2-3 disks inside of their small cases. They're also quiet and use hardly any power. Samba SMB has been more reliable for me than SMB shares on actual windows server instances I've run in the past.
>>
>>101315976
SATA drives are still commonplace, especially in bare-metal DC ops.
>>
>>101328431
>>101328097
Nice, thanks

>>101328797
>What do you guys use to remind yourselves to do tasks?
I keep it all in my head for now, I heard it's good for preventing alzheimer's
>>
>>101328306
kubernetes is huge overkill, people only do it to learn for work/resume purposes
>>
>>101315976
well excuuuuse me mr fancy pants
>>
>>101328797
for general todos: textfile
for periodic todos (e.g. paying invoices every month): cronjob echo into a textfile
for reminders expiring at certain dates (e.g. appointments): remind(1)
>>
>>101329078
even ansible is overkill. i can't think of any scenario in which you'd need to automate replicating your server on to another machine in a home environment.
>>
>>101328914
Slap an NFC tag under my sink or on the wall next to my air handler to allow scanning my phone to reset the task reminder.
>>
how the hell do you setup a failover device if you only have 1 WAN? Do people use a mobile network or something? Wouldn't that kill mobile data quickly?
>>
File: Untitled.png (205 KB, 1236x696)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but is there such a thing as a USB adapter that can support multiple SATA ports? Was thinking of buying one of these docking stations but it's so expensive and it seems like I can't scale it up when I need to. This thing is able to do 4 HDD into one USBC so the technology exists, but I just don't know where to get it.
>>
>>101329182
You just install a network switch between your modem/ONT and routers.
When one router unalives itself, it gives the other a chance to DHCP to your ISP
>>
>>101329742
That's not going to help if your entire ISP is down, which happens maybe every 3 months where I live.

I think the only option is to either pay for another provider, or go the 4G/5G mobile route with a sim card(pay as you go).
>>
>>101315685
I think your only options if you don't want to get a Synology are QNAP and ASUSTOR. Though I've heard they're not as good. cant say whether that's true but i have a synology arriving on wednesday, i just really want my shit to work and people say they're the best for that.
>>
File: 1709284061905311.jpg (68 KB, 492x489)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>be me
>buy shitty used 4TB hard drive from some mexican on FB market and slap it in my comptuer
>leave pc turned on for 24/7 for 10 years
>drive never fails
>be me again
>build $1500 NAS, fill it with expensive """enterprise""" drives
>one of them fails after 6 months
>another fails 6 months later
Why does this happen
>>
>>101325829
Long (extended) offline self test failed [unsupported field in scsi command]

Now what?
>>
>>101330128
shit is random, also six months is still burn-in
>>
>>101330128
i have a 2tb drive from like 2011 still working. meanwhile have had more recent drives die since then. just pure randomness. thankfully with raid it doesnt matter. if 1 drive dies i just swap with another. the pool can still work in a degraded state too
>>
>>101330128
>1 drive
>no failure

>more drives
>more failures

Its just basic math and probability
>>
Update on >>101258380 for those who care:
Ran short tests on the first 8 drives, and so far looking much better than expected
>https://paste.debian.net/plain/1322726
>>
File: ss.07-08-24 (6).jpg (269 KB, 900x761)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
im bored. rate my homelab

opnsense - router/firewall
peladn - mini-pc that hosts docker apps
adguard - network adblocker
truenas - zfs storage
grafana - visual metrics
prometheus - more metrics
frigate - nvr with ai detection
bitwarden - password manager
authelia - 2fa across all services
paperless - document scanner
dokuwiki - personal wiki
ntopng - network metrics
linkace - bookmark manager
crowdsec - intrusion detection
navidrome - stream audio
hydrus - web ui for hydrus network
hybooru - booru style ui for hydrus network
lanraragi - doujin web ui
nessus - network vulnerability scanner
homeassist - iot hub
traccar - gps tracker ui
flood - front end for rtorrent
resilio - storage sync
portainer - ui for docker
uptime kuma - status center for services
nginx proxy manager - reverse proxy
npm monitor - nginx visual metrics
watchyourlan - lan monitoring
gotify - notifications
2fauth - storage for 2fa
stash - porn ui
elkar - backup for mini-pc
urbackup - backups desktop/mini pc
microbin - pastebin
guacamole - vnc
whatsupdocker - docker container updater
headscale - self-hosted tailscale
>>
>>101330715
Bloated as fuck. Why do you have 2fa on your own services?
>>
>he doesn't have 2fa on all his services(including sshd)
ISHYGDDT
>>
File: ss.07-08-24 (7).jpg (35 KB, 855x158)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>101330740
cpu usage is at like 20% and mem usage is only 50%. it's barely being utilized.

>Why do you have 2fa on your own services?
Because some of them don't have any form of authentication, so it makes sense to put them all behind 2fa. It's not like it effects the service in any way and it's simple to do. You should always practice good opsec regardless of your threat model. It breeds good habits.
>>
rate my homelab:

openwrt - router/wap
ssh/sftp - remote access/filesharing
>>
>>101330830
and yes, I forward port 22 and allow password login
>>
>>101330830
10/10
it just werks
>>
File: seinfeld-kramer.gif (157 KB, 220x220)
157 KB
157 KB GIF
Any cheapo 8 port 2.5gb managed switch to look for these days? Someone mentioned few threads ago some chink switches on AliExpress but there's so many to choose on that crap!
>>
What would be the easiest way to make the server send an email at every boot with something like
>boot successful
is there some other option besides relay it through a burner gmail account?
>>
>>101330862
easiest way would be to download a package/tool or python module that lets you easily send gmail, then set a cronjob for it.

>relay it through a burner gmail account?
why the fuck would you need to do that? you send it directly to your gmail.
>>
>https://www.cnx-software.com/2024/07/08/20-nanokvm-is-a-tiny-low-power-risc-v-kvm-over-ip-solution/
OH NO NO NO ENTERPRISEBROS....
>>
I have Proxmox with a couple VMs, TrueNAS and a bunch of services running on each. Can I get a breakdown of how I should be doing backups?

Should I do:
>VM snapshots backed up to NAS
>NAS backed up to backblaze for encrypted offsite backups
>Ignore app level backups
Or
>Setup app backups to go to dedicated folders in NAS? (Sounds like a pain in the ass, not sure how to orgabize this really)
> Use proxmox backup server?
> Backup NAS and PBS contents to...something else? Then bundle that and back that up to backblaze?

Basically I spent a bunch of time setting all my shit up now I need to untabgle it all and figure out how to save my progress.
>>
>>101331198
I would do VM snapshot backups for that kinda setup.
>>
>>101330715
>crowdsec
>nessus

Based cybersec anon. I'm hoping to join you soon. You look into wazuh at all?

How hard was it to setup authelia? Do you have multiple users? Also why headscale over just running a wireguard vpn?
>>
>>101331231
>>101331198
I realize my language wasn't the best. Proxmox and TrueNAS are two separate physical devices.

Why VM snapshots? Say I fuck up my nextcloud and need to roll it back. Wouldn't it be better to restore a known good docker compose or even config backup rather than the entire VM?
>>
>>101331265
Because you didn't mention that you're using Docker. If everything is dockerized and you have compose files backed up, just back up the volumes.
>>
>>101329202
damn do they make that with usb 2x2 yet
>>
>>101330128
server doesnt hammer the drive hard enough so it goes through heat cycles
meanwhile the mexican computer was always doing nonsense in the background and all the components around it were always heated up too bathing it in a soup of normalcy
>>
>>101330911
I dont want to send gmail to the same gmail, it's why i asked
>>
>>101312508
I love you, home server general anons
>>
>>101327527
Deezer nutz?
>>
is there really no official documentation for changing the data directory in nextcloud
>>
>>101327238
it's fine, but be careful with getting bogged down taking too much responsibility in a company, specially if nobody can cover for you, it can be fine when you are long for a couple of months or years if you get proper compensation, but you can get the same compensation and set up things properly so everything doesn't depend on you, and you have to be constantly ready to go into "crisis" mode and fix everything, feels good because you are basically a hero, but there's no reason to be and it's not good for health
>>
File: tickler-file.jpg (41 KB, 450x418)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>101328797
calendar and tickler file
>>
>>101333069
Why? Change your
/etc/fstab
?
>>
>>101329182
>Wouldn't that kill mobile data quickly?
here we have infinite data SIMs for $20 dollars per month and i live in a shithole country, you don't have those?
>>
>>101331198
>>101331231
>>101331265
Repeat after me: Snapshots are not a backup.

Also 3-2-1 and Veeam B&R.
>>
>>101330039
>synology arriving on wednesday, i just really want my shit to work and people say they're the best for that.
is BTRFS reliable?
>>
>>101330715
Missing Active Directory, HashiCorp Vault, Ansible / AWX. No Veeam.
Self-hosted wiki sucks and does not follow the principle of being always accessible remotely and collaboratively, with multiple people editing the same wiki article at the same time.
A mix of good, largely supported things and some questionable less supported things, when larger alternatives exist.
TrueNAS and OPNsense are the worst offenders in that list.
>>
>>101333214
>TrueNAS
u mad?
>>
>>101330039
It's not enterprise grade and their true scalability is n = 1, but they do the job well at SOHO scale.
>>
>>101328024
Multiple small drives in a wide array and RAID-Z2. Almost everything about it.
It not being SAS I can forgive if it's for backups.
>>
>>101323584
This is a toy, not something to depend on.
>>
>>101323176
vSAN supports RDMA, if you specifically need RDMA support and shared storage.
>>
>>101330525
weird, SAS drives should support SMART tests.
What card are you using?
Maybe it doesn't pass the SMART info to the drives, 2008 and 3008-based HBAs work with SMART for sure.
>>
>>101333245
you're a toy
>>
>>101333333
witnessed
>>
>>101333333
enterprisesisters.....we got too fuckign cocky....
>>
>>101333333
Checkem

>>101333245
Owned
>>
>>101333333
Woody?
>>
>>101332993
We love you too uwu
>>
>>101333245
why?
>>
Is anyone running any AM5-based systems? I can't for the life of me find figures for idle power consumption of the 8X00G series APUs that I was planning to build a cheap virtualization lab around. (Is this a bad idea? Why?)

I read contradicting OPINIONS on how AM5 idle efficiency, with some people saying idle consumption is worse because of chiplet based designs but also better for the APUs because they're not chiplet based... I'm in a bit over my prodigious 105 IQ
>>
>>101334394
>am5 8th gen apu
>cheap
heh
>>
>>101334465
They're within my budget. I could go for a 5X00G but I imagine the NPU will be a significant leg up on those in the years to come
>>
>>101334394
AM5 isn't a server socket and does not have VMware support for virtualization.
>>
>>101333183
I told him to back up the VM snapshots, moron
>>
>>101333250
I don't NEED it, I want it cuz I got the hardware.
>per CPU licensing
Anything with either a flat fee or free?
>>
>>101334770
VMUG $210/year for non-production (home lab).
Keygen for free.
>>
>>101334627
vmware officially supports only EPYC and Opteron shit, I don't think the official compatibility list is very indicative of what can or cannot be used. That matters mostly for a professional support scenario
>>
>>101335008
It's already annoying as is to give extra command arguments for deprecated CPUs going EOL, and even more annoying to hack VMware software to run on unsupported CPUs.
>>
>>101333016
Nope, Deezer provides FLAC and there are tools for easy download

>>101334394
You want to stick to slightly older platforms if you want to run a server on commodity hardware, this is because stable software requires time to polish, then you see Stable Debian's 2-year release cycle.

>>101334627
Shut up, go lick VMware's ass
>>
>>101323176
NFS supports RDMA, although if you want it distributed i believe you need pNFS from NFSv4.1, which as far as i know was never impemented in server code of either upstream Linux or BSDs.
You'd have to use some proprietary OS that supports it.
>>
>>101335024
I hear you, this is a bit annoying, but vmware not being supported isn't a deal breaker. At least to my ignorant brain. Can't I learn KVM instead or some other hypervisor that does support AM5 chips?

>>101335073
maybe a "Pro" APU from 5X00 series then?
>>
i should say the reason I'm bent on going with an igpu solution is power consumption AND space inside the case for more drives
>>
>>101335124
>maybe a "Pro" APU from 5X00 series then?
Yes, those are the best shot, specially when paired with an ASRock Rack motherboard (Remote management, PCI-e lanes and other nice server stuff)
>>
>>101335073
>Shut up, go lick VMware's ass
Rude. Anon asked for a virtualization lab, I gave him the most caring answer possible.
>>
>>101335124
KVM and Hyper-V support AMD Ryzen processors, yes. Those have their own software problems, but also server hardware for AM5 socket won't be as good and it's mostly limited to ASRock Rack and Supermicro.
>>
>>101335149
>Rude
Stop pretending you care, nobody here cares about VMware's support for virtualization
>AM5 isn't a server socket
I turned my cellphone into a server so what
>>
>>101335134
not looking for anything on racks atm, way beyond my scope. I'm not ruling it out but I'd need to renovate my garage to have a place for rack mounted stuff.

>>101335149
I appreciate your answer, I wasn't aware of the poor official support for amd consumer grade chips in vmware.

>>101335174
It's also going to be a system to test many different technologies I'm unfamiliar with as of yet so I accept the compromise of going for a jack of all trades chip.
>>
>>101335214
>not looking for anything on racks atm
ASRock Rack is just the commercial term for their server motherboards, in truth they're just standard Micro-ATX boards that can fit in any tower
>>
>>101335181
You didn't filter VMware posts, VMware posts filtered you. And you're incorrect.
>>
if it can receive incoming connections, it's a server.
>>
>>101330715
How many servers or vm did you use to host all of these apps ?
>>
rate my homelab

iphone - shit/cuntposting

>>101333171
if thats yours lets fuck
>>
>>101330862
sure, you could host a mail server on that machine, it's not that hard. and if it's only for server messages, it doesn't need a fancy domain name or concerns about setting it up to avoid being labelled spam by other mail servers
>>
File: 1720532969929.jpg (9 KB, 125x106)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
has anyone tried AM5 board with IPMI?
>>
>>101333237
Interesting. The people over at Truenas said 6 disks in a ZFS2 raid is typically optimal. Also better to have two seperate vdevs then one big one for performance reasons. I got these drives new for like $40 each 8 years ago, so 18TB fuckoff sized drives were not available then. Are you the legendary enterprise schizo? I'm honored
>>
>>101335174
What problems do still in occur in current year? Feels like i noticed my last KVM issue in like ~2018
>>
>>101336158
I desired the vdevs to be even smaller than yours.
Yes, I am Cap.
>>
>>101336245
It's not related to processors, but virtio-win drivers and Proxmox VE's toddler-tier pitfalls with administration/management cause issues which neither VMware nor Hyper-V have. Look at Red Hat Enterprise Linux release notes, known issues, virtualization, grep for virtio. Try to mount a virtual disk (Windows) in a WinRE environment, you can't with vanilla ISOs because virtio-scsi drivers are not included. Attempt to import disk images from Proxmox VE's web UI, you cannot, superuser CLI only.
Hyper-V I don't have much to say about.
>>
What's your favorite / recommended method to access your LAN for remote operation ?
Currently using ZeroTier, I don't know if I should move to Tailscale or bother installing a OpenVPN or WireGuard server.
>>
>>101336680
IPsec is universally supported out of the box on various operating systems. Windows, Android, ...
>>
>>101336559
Not gonna lie. Time frame checks out to where i last loaded a windows machine onto proxmox. I think it needed some extra settings from default, but even that instance in it's core settings still runs fine.
>>
>>101336680
Just Wireguard

Way more annoying to set up than it should be to setup in pfSense but it works well enough on my phone.

I can only post here because if it
WiFi at my job apparently shares the same IPs as Google cloud and is ranged banned.
>>
>>101312755
There is only 1 good sat internet. Starlink.

Nothing else comes close.

>low latency of ~30ms vs other sats with 1000ms
>unlimited bandwidth vs other sats with 20-50-100-200GB limits that costs an arm/leg to go up
>highspeed internet ~50-150Mbps 99% of the time vs <0.5Mbps on other sats that cant even watch netflix/youtube without buffering for few minutes
>>
>>101320098
Why rackmounted and not a tower chassis?
>>
File: cbd4vs777mf71.png (265 KB, 392x399)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
i want a rack mountable atx chasis so bad i hate my shit world country so fucking much
>>
>>101336968
Density, more scalable. Server hardware with server grade manageability and features is rackmountable anyway, which many tower form factor servers do not have (or they take an obscure 4U-5U of rack space).
>>
>>101337027
Hardware features have nothing to do with the form factor.
You can have your dual CPU e-waste in a gaymer full tower case with IPMI and even redundant PSUs if you're that paranoid.
>>
>>101337027
Have you considered that someone who is not going to populate a rack could use less space with just one or two tower cases? Personally I don't see myself needing more than two servers that are any appreciable size.
>>
>>101337027
I'm building an epyc system in a fractal d7 and between the drives, psu, cpu cooler, gpu's, network, and other pcie boolcrap I don't see there being very much wasted space. Personally don't much like how most rack mounted cases look either.
>>
>infinitely scalable density
>im oooooooooopgrading
>achievement unlocked: home datacentre (443 gamerscore(
>>
>>101337027
>density
mf probably sleep in a racecar bed
>>
>order two hard drives
>one doesn't work
damn it
>>
>>101337180
I sleep in a big bed with my wife.
>>
>>101337237
Really big. With a gap in the middle. On opposite sides of the room.
>>
>>101337248
i bet
>>
>>101337248
I sleep in her bed
>>
>>101337248
I forgot to mention that the rack is in the middle.
>>
>>101337412
>WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>101337412
nodes' health is more important that wife's
>>
>>101337495
doable as long as there's no 1U shit
>>
File: 233262385.jpg (773 KB, 1600x1263)
773 KB
773 KB JPG
>>101337027
I use pic related for my home server.
Get mad.
>>
>>101336828
How is the battery drain ? I'll probably leave the VPN on on my Android.
>>
i have my tower server on a plate in my 42u rack
heh get on my level
>>
>>101337517
Thats a good case anon
Dont mind enterpriseschizo
>>
>>101336378
Nice to be dunked on by you. You're a legend around these parts. If I had to build from scratch would you go 4 drive 14tb? 3 18tb?
>>
>>101335252
>if it can receive incoming connections, it's a server.
no that is a client. a server serves back. please take a 1 year from this site until you passed 1 semester of compsci.
>>
File: hypponen.jpg (1.18 MB, 1385x1685)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>101337686
>>
>>101335252
xorg display server receives incoming connections
>>
>>101337697
Cool guy, but I like Mitnick more.
>>
I have some loose hdds in a drawer i macguyvered to connect to an rpi (also in the drawer)
Its for my selfhosted minecrft world
>>
>>101337702
that's retarded, a fucking LC display over serial, i2c and spi does the same and has no CPU, just NAND latches to let bytes drop into, it cannot even do addition
>>
>>101337765
unfortunately thats a different thing and irrelevant to what id said
>>
>>101337517
great case, 804 is good too
>>
>>101337765
yes but does it allow remote connections and draw on a client device? I don't think so chief
>>
File: 1698262110599234.gif (962 KB, 300x297)
962 KB
962 KB GIF
>>101337780
*connects electrodes of a 12V car battery and alternator to your balls*
You are now a server, ans you receive incoming HF noise from brush fire of the spinning coil inductances as they disconnect the carbon electrodes.
>>
>>101337803
you open your ass and receive my dick connection
you're now a server checkmate
>>
>>101337803
install Meetup
>>
>>101337616
I'm biased towards 4 drives minimum of RAID10.
More capacity per terabyte of storage for only a fraction of the power consumption.
>>
>>101337787 >>101337821 >>101337823
>yes but does it allow remote connections and draw on a client device? I don't think so chief
My LC display hooked to a microcotnroller can receive UDP and literally serves nothing back. If displaying shit now makes anything a server, your fucking radio controlled analog wall clock is """a server""" as it receives DCF77.

A server can serve back. Your server goes with the order to the kitchen and masturbates in the soup.
>>
>>101337834
as long as youre doing backups every 6 minutes.
>>
>>101337843
i dont inow what an lc client is, sorry
>>
>>101337869
liquid crystal display
>>
>>101337878
oh, a screen
>>
>>101337843
yep, that's a server.
>>
File: DMZ.png (156 KB, 681x537)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
DMZ chad reporting in
>>
>>101337843
See >>101337888
trips don't lie anon
>>
>>101337914
my sides are off the charts
>>
File: 1519531133063.gif (1.63 MB, 360x270)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB GIF
>>101337412
>>
>>101337882
>>101337888
serves nothing back, only displays.
an analog watch with DCF77 is a server by your definition

>A server is a computer that provides information to other computers called "clients" on computer network.
as per definition, no outgoing connects to electronic clients == NOT a_server

You can continue being autistic, but unless you hijack dictionaries or wikipedia everyone in the industry or a job interview will just see you as retarded.

https://www.gayle.com/blog/2015/5/31/the-problem-with-the-fizzbuzz-problem

Allow me to nerdsnipe you with something that is more worthwhile to read than your posts. You've been doing fizz buzz wrong for years:
https://www.gayle.com/blog/2015/5/31/the-problem-with-the-fizzbuzz-problem
>>
>>101337616
>>101337834 (Me)
But if you meant vdev width, either 3 (RAID-Z1 - with multiple vdevs) or 4 (RAID-Z2 or striped mirrors) is fine.
>>
>>101312508
hey lads I got the p101 silent case actually before I even saw the wiki but I'm having trouble finding non-gaymen mobos for it. I'd like 8 sata ports to complement the 8 3.5 trays. any suggestions? on a budget I am
>>
>>101337974
>only displays
so receives a request from a client and handles it, gotcha. sounds like a server to me. the original comment I made about incoming connections is missing an obvious part which I didn't think I had to add considering the thread we're in, I'll let you figure that one out
>>
>>101338004
No amount of Ritalin can fix this waterfall of nonsense. You are amusing and persistent.
>>
>>101337756
Nice
You might want to put a fan in the drawer too
>>
>>101338004
>>101338020
The obvious part was "IP connections". Thought it was obvious since we're, well, on /hsg/...
>>
>>101337586
>>101337781
Yeah, for someone without much space and that knows he won't need more than 6 drives, it's been very good for now. Very silent
>>
>>101338034
It's fun arguing without insulting others, if they are willing to listen. Honestly I don't mind any type of connection. A LoRo gateway has its uses. Any anons here that use exotic protocols or PHY layers?

https://wireless.ictp.it/school_2017/Slides/LoRaDetails.pdf
I have a microcontroller managed weather station connected over wireless.
>>
>>101338102
it's http not https, my browser upgraded (manipulated) the link on copy
>>
>>101338123
(raped)
>>
>>101338149
[Y]es / [y]es / [m]aybe
>>
>>101338004
yes a computer monitor technically broadcasts udp to multicast to which you subscribe your eyes, but even if that’s what you actually meant (it wasnt) youre still being an obnoxious fag about this
>>
>>101337567
Couldn't honestly tell a difference, even on my old phone with a really worn battery

If there is one issue I have it's loosing network connectivity sometimes when exiting a WiFi network and getting onto mobile and vise-versa. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Just switching the profile on and off fixes it
>>
>>101338439
I accept your concession
>>
>>101338508
whoseV
>>
File: image-14.jpg (41 KB, 615x615)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>101338465
Also have wg on 24/7 on my phone and I get through my 12 hour shift with like 20% left while using it a ton and bluetooth earbuds.
>>
>>101338532
anons
>>
>>101338573
meaning, yours? thanks, i accept
>>
>>101338554
>bluetooth
Ah yes, botnet protocol
>>
>>101338801
not a great post, sadly
>>
>>101333319
>weird, SAS drives should support SMART tests
They seem to only support short tests.
>What card are you using?
Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3 (rev 02)
It's definitely the drives, I'm running long tests on SATA drives in this system right now
>>
>>101338905
interesting, i've used the same controller with both SAS Toshibas and Seagates, both had long smart test options.
What brand are those drives?
>>
>>101338963
HITACHI HUS72404CLAR4000

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.