[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled.jpg (73 KB, 976x549)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>is under british rule. speaks irish.
>gets free of british rule. no longer speaks irish.

what did they mean by this?
>>
They spoke it, but it underwent heavy suppression for centuries.

They only really became "independent" in the late 1940s. The Irish "War of Independence" ended in a British-backed Civil War, which a highly conservative pro-British government won. Said Conservative pro-British government (and its successors; the two same parties have been taking turns in power for 100 years) do not care about the Irish language or about any of the actual principles/key points of the Irish Republican movement. All Irish language activism was grassroots; it was "mandatory" in schools but was generally undersupported and treated like one of those things you drop when you're 16 if you aren't super into it.

It's a hard language to learn the older you get, and there is zero "incentive" for young people to learn it if they don't care about history/culture, since most people who can speak Irish can speak a more common language. There's a reason the strongest or largest gaeltachts (aka, Irish speaking areas) are either in the far western countryside or in Republican ares in the north.

tl;dr - anyone, including Irish people, who says that the the last century of Irish (establishment) politics has been anything other than conservative pro-brit slop with intermittant bouts of finger wagging at particularly overzealous British politicians is delusional. This had a clear and well documented side affect of a cultural issue like the Irish language being mostly abandoned where possible.
>>
>>16540044
>heavy suppression

It wasn’t suppressed. It’s just far more convenient for literally everyone to speak English

Obviously all the state apparatuses speak English. So you’d need a working ability to speak it or have someone interpret for you which is always worrying

Along with this any big business or trading overseas would also require English

The British not supporting a different language to exist just for the sake of it is not “suppression”.
>>
>>16540054
It was suppressed. Political and physical suppression of the Irish language dates back to the 14th Century, anon.
>it's just far more convienent for everyone to speak English
Yes, this was the late-stages of it where pro-British "Irish Nationalists", aka those who wanted to reform Irish society within the context of British rule, encouraged people to abandon Irish in favour of English to further their economic standing.

As I said; the reason the revival didn't take off is well known and documented. The reason it struggles today comes down to some of what you said; little incentive. But to imply that it wasn't suppressed in the first place is extremely silly.
>>
>>16539919

>breaks free of British rule
>uses the opportunity to ship in as many blacks and Pakistanis as possible
>>
File: Irish Language.jpg (77 KB, 850x400)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>16539919
The Irish did it to themselves, the British barely played a role in killing the Irish language.
>>
>>16539919
If they weren't Papists Irish would have still been around
>>
File: 1690488060376991.jpg (123 KB, 1080x1350)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
Irish anon here, this country has ceased to exist and would be completely alien to the men who fought for it's independence. There is nothing Irish about Ireland. Nobody here cares about our history let alone our language, in terms of our folklore most people here are no better than Americans and think it's all just leprechauns
>>
Irish had become a meme language well before Ireland got its independence, though yes, somewhat strangely, the meme only accelerated after independence. Also
>>16540248
This is true too. See: Wales.
>>
>>16540080
They learned well from the anglos
>>
>>16540248
Bloody papists
>>
For what it's worth I'm half Irish born and raised in Ireland (mum is French) and I have never given a single fuck about the Irish language. Yes it is a nice language and yes it is part of muh heritage but I also fully accept that after 800 years of occupation, Ireland has become thoroughly Anglicized and that Britishness is an inherent part of being Irish (to varying degrees). I don't see this as a positive or negative thing, just a fact of life. Not too dissimilar to how French culture and language overtook and replaced Occitan, Breton, etc. I hated learning Irish at school despite the fact I've always been linguistically minded and also speak Spanish and some German (in addition to French of course). I see no reason to spend time and effort learning a language that is useful only for reading old poems and stories and showing off to your friends that you're a Gaeilgeoir (many of whom are insufferable overly politicized cunts). If I could press a magic button that would teach me Irish in a heartbeat then sure but that's not the case.

It is nice that we were able to hold onto some traditions like our native sport and music but desu I don't really mourn the loss of Irish. Regional languages in general are a thing of the past with some rare exceptions like Basque (and most Basques who forcememe Basque do so out of political bullshit).
>>
>>16540044
You still have some native Irish speakers. Your only hope is to grab them and expose Irish babies to them in the next 20 or so years and thereby make new native speakers. Otherwise the native speakers will die and you'll have no hope of reviving Irish. You are squandering the last years to save your language.
>>
>>16541459
>For what it's worth I'm half Irish born and raised in Ireland (mum is French)
You are one of the mutts who subvert Ireland.
>>
>>16540080
That's the jews
>>
File: gaeltachts.jpg (15 KB, 200x249)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>16541607
Ireland still has Gaeltachts, areas that speak Irish. (by virtue of being far enough from the UK that no British people were interested in them for a long period of time) The key will be to preserve those areas and perhaps expand them.
>>
BRITS OUT
PAKIS IN
>>
>>16540044
Irish people speak less Irish than at the time it was granted home rule. If you wanted to speak it, you’d do what the Jews did which was a thousand times harder than just using an existing language like Irish was
>>
>>16541814
That's what I'm talking about. Do you have any idea how fast gaeltachts are declining? Not to mention that the actual native speakers are far less in those areas than reported, because there's an incentive to overreport them. (Gaeltachts get tax breaks.) Once they're gone, the Irish language is fucked.
>>
>>16541838
The revival of Hebrew was a thousand times easier. Hebrew may have been "extinct" in that there were no native speakers left, but it was still used in liturgy so basically every Jew who wasn't raised by atheists had some knowledge of it, and more importantly there was a practical incentive to learn it since the many different Jewish groups needed a unifying lingua franca. In Ireland, however, everyone speaks English on a native level and English is the language used in daily life everywhere outside of a dozen or so tiny villages so the practical incentive to learn it is almost non-existent.
The Irish sure as hell could have done a better job at preserving their language, but a full on revival has never been realistic.
>>
>>16542045
That's like claiming all Catholics are capable of being easily taught Latin because some terms are retained over the millennia. Hebrew in old Ashkenazi prayer was reserved for general terms for God and the occasional small chant, Jew's dont even have prayers in the Christian sense either to have that as a source for retaining Hebrew
>>
>>16542045
Revived Hebrew is most certainly radically different from the original Hebrew language with heavy German/Yiddish influence. Unless you want to have a revived "Irish" in the future that is basically Hiberno-English in phonology and grammar, you have to get Gaeltacht speakers in contact with Irish babies.
>>
None of this arguing about the Irish language when the government is obsessed with importing nigerians and pakis who will have no cultural inclination to learn the language.
>>
>>16542094
Sad that the Irish were such fake Anglos instead, if they had revived Irish and made it mandatory for government jobs and higher education, there would be undoubtedly far less nog and jeet immigration
>>
>>16542094
None of this arguing matters*
>>
>>16542057
>Hebrew in old Ashkenazi prayer was reserved for general terms for God and the occasional small chant,
And international communication and theological and scholarly writing, of course.

>Jew's dont even have prayers in the Christian sense either
No, they just have to read long portions of the Torah and a large number of prayers and they have to get every phoneme right or else the volcano magic doesn't work.
>>
>>16542181
>And international communication and theological and scholarly writing, of course.
Proof? Show me scholarly writing in Hebrew in the 1850s-1900's
>No, they just have to read long portions of the Torah and a large number of prayers and they have to get every phoneme right or else the volcano magic doesn't work.
Which was done phonetically and to please elders who didnt speak Hebrew either. It was entirely based on Grammar, modern spoken Hebrew is beyond a different language than liturgical hebrew. Even modern jew york Hasidic jews dont speak liturgical Hebrew and uses modern Israeli hebrew
>>
>>16542072
>Revived Hebrew is most certainly radically different from the original Hebrew language with heavy German/Yiddish influence.
In terms of loanwords, sure, but it's the same as every other Afro-Asiatic language in the region and has all of the characteristics of one. It's even doing the whole "reevolving person marking on verbs" thing that other AA languages are doing.

>>16542203
>Which was done phonetically
And hence made this easy as every Jew knew some Hebrew.
>>
>>16542223
So you're saying it was easier and more politically expediate to teach all the Irish a dead form of Gothic than learning a language that still exists in their rural community and was spoken by their grand parents? You're brain dead, why is anyone wasting time on you.
>>
>>16542234
Did you respond to the wrong post? I don't see what this has to do with what I said.
>>
>>16542241
You have zero reading comprehension and lack the ability to imply reason that is taught to Irish children and all western children in primary education. You are a retarded jeet or just a autist which is better than being a jeet
>>
>>16542203
>It was entirely based on Grammar, modern spoken Hebrew is beyond a different language than liturgical hebrew
In as much as Modern English is far more analytic and has evolved analytic grammatical structures, sure, but that's what happened to literally every Semitic language, and outside of Semitic it also happened in Coptic. I'm not sure why you keep insisting that Modern Hebrew is based off of Yiddish, it's patently not (Yiddish doesn't have a construct form or fusional tense, and it's dual-number is just an importation from Hebrew anyways). Like, do some basic research on this, the revival of Hebrew was done by taking the liturgical and scholastic usage of Hebrew, the living Hebrew-Arabic creole that the Mizrahim spoke, and the Hebrew trade language, and mashing them together and stringing the results up according to the grammatical structures of other similarly analytic sister languages.
>>
Just a reminder that Irish independence was a movement created and funded by Germans and Russians in the 19th and 18th centuries, and since then Americans, mostly to fracture the UK.
>>
>>16542257
Did you respond to the wrong post? I don't see what this has to do with what I said.
>>
>>16542270
No, I responded to the right one, and I directly refuted your point. It's cute that the other anon got you flustered about how you have to communicate in English instead of Gaelic, however.
>>
>>16542280
I never claimed Hebrew is a Yiddish derived language, there's more than 1 person calling you retarded
>>
>>16542263
Based. Fuck the Anglos. Glad they are getting replaced.
>>
>>16542057
Back when Latin was more commonly used in the church and when everyone still only spoke one language fluently, Latin would honestly have been the most suitable national language in a Catholic version of Israel.
>>16542072
I don't think English influence is avoidable, wouldn't surprise me if modern Irish already sounds like a thick English accent compared to the Irish that was spoken a hundred years ago, but even if it could be avoided it doesn't matter as Irish cannot be revived.
>>
>>16539919
>less people speak irish than frisian

WHAT
THE
FUCK
>>
>>16542045
The Welsh are doing OK.

And there are plenty of examples of bilingual societies.

Ireland could get back to most people having conversational Irish in 25 years if we started teaching primary school through Irish over the next 10 years, no other change needed. No need to make universities or government or businesses or courts or television use Irish.
>>
>>16542385
It literally does not matter if your country just wants you replaced with Pakistanis Nigerians and Indians. Do you think Obungo Makuompo, Abudullah Rashid, and Gurpreet Patel give a fuck about the cultural heritage of Ireland? Seriously?
>>
>>16542385
English would still be used in most contexts and inevitably a pragmatic government would come into power and reverse this retarded policy, which would take us back to square one. Bilingual societies exist because minority languages have been successfully passed on from generation to generation, not because the state forces people to speak it.
>>
>>16541459
>For what it's worth I'm a piece of shit
You didn't need to share that.
>>
>>16541459
>forcememe
nice english(?) word
>>
>>16541459
>Britishness is an inherent part of being Irish
lmao
>>
Just make Irish language fluency a requirement for getting citizenship, government jobs and going to university and make the schools teach all subjects only in Irish
>>
File: Potatonigger unleased.png (1.06 MB, 1291x668)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>16539919
Potato niggers are self-hating.
They hate the faith that sustained them and now they're busy letting globohomo convince them to have Italian-level birthrates and welcome "the new Irish" from Somalia.

Be it Vikings, Brits or the EU, count on Paddy to welcome the most destructive conquerors.
>>
>>16542385
>The Welsh are doing OK.
They really aren't. Welsh is spoken by less than 20% and declining.
>>
>>16544057
Welsh is not a dying language. Although it has faced a decline in the past, recent data shows that the number of Welsh speakers is on the rise, and there are efforts from the government and activists to preserve and promote the language. While there are still challenges to overcome, it is clear that Welsh has a strong presence in Wales and is far from dying out.
>>
>>16541621
DeValera, the conservative father of modern Ireland, was half-Spanish, but you wouldn't know that would you? You're an Amerimutt cunt who's browner than my shit after a night of drinking Guinness.
>>16542573
I haven't said anything controversial. I'm sorry that the Irish education system and government failed to foster a sense of endearment towards the Irish language. Don't hate the player hate the game. I still like Ireland and Irish culture and people, can't say I care about preserving the language though, which is a sentiment shared by millions of Irish people.
>>16542774
Yeah, it is. We speak English, we watch British TV shows, consume many British products, outside of our native sports Irish people love watching English football, we all have family and friends that live in the UK and Brits, not including Northern Ireland, are the single most numerous foreigner in Ireland. That doesn't mean we are British, but Brits, for better or for worse, have put their cultural stamp on the Irish identity. It's only natural after 800 years of English then British rule. But go ahead, let's see you try to argue how being Irish is totally, wholly and absolutely independent of any notion of Britishness. I'm curious to see your argument.
>>
>>16544078
Fuck off ChatGPT
>>
>>16544150
So what was the point of independence then?
>>
>>16544716
There was no point to it
>>
>>16544716
National self determination. People have a right to choose who the masters of their destiny are, just like Protestants in Northern Ireland today choose to remain under UK governance. Life for the average Gael was pretty shitty under English/British administration. There's no way a desire for independence wouldn't have been fostered given the antagonistic history between the 2 nations. That said things had (just about) started to improve by the time independence was achieved, by that time though the damage was already done and it was too late.
>>
A nation is defined by its language. Today's "Irish" are just low tier Anglos with a funny accent.
>>
>>16542385
Nah, you need to target the babies and small children. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of Paddies trying to badly converse in broken Gaelic.
>>
>>16544847
Unless you beat them for speaking the wrong language like in the old days, they won't speak it.
>>
I find it kinda ironic how welsh has held on so strong while irish is in terminal decline. The irish fought so hard for independence just to give up on their language
>>
>>16544899
Well, you have to do the reverse of what the limeys did to undo it. Fire with fire etc. Maybe staff day care and kindergarten with Gaeltacht speakers only. Then mandatory Gaelic only in primary education.
>>
>>16544938
It's because of Protestantism
>>
>>16544840
how did the disgusting kikes create a language and country out of nowhere
>>
>>16544954
It will only work with beatings. English is their native language and the native language of everyone they know, the only way to make them stop speaking it is by punishing them for it.
>>
>>16544981
No, if they are exposed to native Gaelic speakers since <1 year of age, both Gaelic and English will be their native languages. This is how infant language acquisition works. But you're right, they will need some forced incentives to keep speaking it in order not to lose it, hence compulsory Gaelic in kindergarten and primary school.
The Jews did the same with Hebrew in Israel. "Language police" would shame people publicly who didn't use Hebrew.
>>
>>16544993
Most of their social interactions in kindergarten and school will be with other students, not with the staff, so English will still come much more naturally for them. You need a private babysitter/tutor if they are to be as exposed to Gaelic as they are to English, unless you beat the kids whenever they speak English with each other.
>>
>>16545023
I get what you mean, I can just say that the Jews succeeded at this, and probably a couple of beatings were indeed involved
>>
>>16545029
The Jews had a practical incentive to learn it as they needed a common language, but the Irish already have one called English.
>>
>>16544967
Very strong common will
Shaming and sometimes beating those who didn't comply
And don't forget that only second generation Israelis had Hebrew as their true native language. The first wave of adult returners always spoke a broken shitty version.
>>
>>16545035
A large majority of them already spoke Yiddish
>>
>>16539919
By the time the Irish became independent, most people were speaking English. Centuries of colonialism, economic incentives, and cultural suppression will do that to you.
>>
>>16545046
>Centuries of colonialism, economic incentives, and cultural suppression will do that to you.
Slovaks had a 1000 years of that pressure yet didn't switch to Hungarian. Hungarians and Czechs had centuries of that pressure to switch to German yet they didn't.
>>
>>16545042
Doubt it, from the start alot of Israelis were Mizrahi and Sephardi, and plenty of Ashkenazis had stopped speaking Yiddish while they were still in the old country.
>>
>>16544150
>But go ahead, let's see you try to argue how being Irish is totally, wholly and absolutely independent of any notion of Britishness. I'm curious to see your argument.
I'm not making that argument at all anon, just thought your comment was amusing.
To me it just seemed like the kind of comment that would be like a red rag to a bull, but then I don't actually know any Irish people first hand to properly understand how they feel about Brits and Britain.
>>
>>16539919
Because 'Irish' is a modern meme identity made in the mid 20th century specifically to sell merch and 'ancestry products' to Americans. The island of 'Ireland' is basically just South-Western Scotland.
>>
>>16542234
Nta but I think Irish needs major work as a practical language for a serious revival. Czech and Hungarian had similar work done to make them viable national languages. At one point, though many spoke Czech, they also spoke German, and Czech had virtually no use outside of rural village life. While maybe in the middle ages there were more formal Czech words your average Czech speaking peasant family didn’t know them. What it took was consistent publication of formal writing like newspapers, dictionaries, and government documents in Czech; adding loanwords from Latin and German as needed; for the language to modernize. Language is as much a technology as anything and Irish requires modernization. With Czech this took dual-language urbanites getting involved in revival. Irish won’t revive until you can easily write legal briefs, negotiate contracts, and write scientific papers without major drawbacks vs. English. The urbanized middle class needs involvement, just exposing people to Gaeltacht Irish may extend it’s lifespan as a minority peasant language, but it won’t fix the fundamental issue.
>>
>>16545053
I'm not massively familiar with the situation in Slovakia but I'm not sure the situations are comparable. In Ireland if you wanted to escape poverty you had to move to Dublin (an English speaking city since medieval times) or move to Britain or other parts of the empire where you would have zero opportunities if you didn't know English. Coupled with the fact a massive number of Irish people did seek to escape poverty it's easy to see how English took over.
>>
>>16540044
The free state wasn't pro british retard, they were pro peace treaty. Big difference dumb fuck the civil war was over the treaty which was passed by the first sinn fein government by a majority. That war was brother fighting brother, of course the treaty wasn't ideal but many believed (including Michael collins) it was the best we could do and give ireland the chance to achieve tbe freedom later on
>>
>>16545053
>>16545900
Don’t have time to go in depth but the situations are not remotely comparable. The Magyar language was pushed on no one until the later half of the 19th century and before that the majority of the nobility didn’t even speak it, using Latin as the language of government.
>>
>>16546400
It's not about pushing the language, the Irish switched to English voluntarily for better opportunities
>>
>>16546467
>voluntarily
I mean, there's voluntarily and then there's choosing between speaking Irish and remaining poor or learning English and improving your lot in life.
>>
>>16546467
Magyarization essentially worked the same way. >>16546475 this post is correct. Magyarization largely operated by requiring Magyar to get decent work in cities. It was only viable to not know it in the countryside as a peasant. Also, Magyar is incredibly difficult to learn which further differentiates the two. Irish and English are much closer.
>>
>>16546501
>Irish and English are much closer.
I agree with your post but this is not correct. Irish and English are very, very different to each other (loanwords aside).
>>
>>16544840
>a nation is defined by its language
Jamaica is sufficiently different from England to refute this
>>
>>16546467
>>16546501
To elaborate, before mid 19th century Magyar was basically a peasant language, and most middle class people learned German as a second language. The Hungarian Nation at the time was understood to be the nobility regardless of language. After waves of nationalist revolution in the 1840s, the Hungarian government became increasingly dominated by nationalists. The urban population started subscribing to Magyar newspapers and learning Magyar as a way to identify as something separate from Austria. Before that point there was literally 0 economic incentive and almost no cultural incentive whatsoever to learn Magyar. After that point it slowly became modernized and also more important as the language of government and commerce (with German as the “langauge of command” among military officers). Magyar is not an example of a domineering language failing to crush minority languages as much as it is an example of a previously declining and irrelevant native peasant language becoming the national language after much conflict and significant modernization of the language.

Irish is much less like Slovak and much more like a Magyar that was much more successfully repressed, and much les successfully renewed.

>>16546510
Magyar is from an entirely separate language family and is known to be among the top 5 hardest languages for Europeans to learn. I made a relative statement that Magyar and Slovak are more different than Irish and English and you seem to have read it as an absolute statement that Irish and English are similar.
>>
It's abundantly clear that barely anyone on this board knows any real information about Ireland's history, culture, people, language, or politics. Sammy and his Bong buddies are trolling, but the rest of you are just clueless.
>>
>>16546531
>irish national epic
>it's about a bunch of culchies fighting over who has the biggest cow
>>
>>16545690
You can honestly not compare Irish with any other language when it comes to how one is to go about reviving it as no other language has been in the situation that Irish is in and seen a comeback. The peasant-exclusive languages that existed in pre-industrial Europe that have since become national languages used in all walks of life aren't comparable as those languages were always spoken by a majority of the population, and all they needed to enter the finer dining rooms was industrialization, "language modernization" doesn't really have anything to do with it and occured almost seemlessly once they started to write complex doctoral theses.
>>
>>16546523
Jamaicans don't speak English, they speak Jamaican Patois, a creole.

>>16546915
This. Every language revitalization project that has succeeded has state backing. Ireland is in a rather unique position of having the Irish state actively working against the usage of the language.
>>
>>16546400
>The Magyar language was pushed on no one until the later half of the 19th century and before that the majority of the nobility didn’t even speak it, using Latin as the language of government.
Russian was in a similar situation in the 1800s and early 1900s, with French being the language of the elite.
>>
>>16546946
There has only ever been one single language revitilization project that has seen significant success as far as I'm aware, that of Hebrew in Israel, and they managed to pull it off solely because Jews didn't have a common language to begin with.
Many places have seen limited success though, with a language growing little by little, and that's the best Irish can hope for. The people in this thread who think that it can somehow become the national language of Ireland again are completely delusional.
>>
The Irish have no culture to speak of. Their culture is literally stealing from Britain and other cultures.
>>
>>16539919
weird init
>>
>>16547014
Yes this is all pretty much true. Gradual growth can be achieved. State sponsorship would make it happen quickly, but it requires Ireland to embrace a more Gaelic identity than the broader “Irish” identity which has many broad implications. Maintaining what exists is a victory in itself though as the current order of the world won’t last forever.

Again, I think a focus on modernizing and academic study, and high school study, would help a lot for people to at least get more culturally comfortable with the idea. One thing that will probably never happen but would help would be if Gaels in scotland and ireland worked together more and maybe even in the modernization process created a standardized speech that could be easily used in schools (or even getting Bretons and Welsh involved). Language modernization can be achieved without state backing, as the Czechs early on didn’t have backing and only achieved that later. Gaels don’t seem to define themselves in their own language and their own terms enough that they would be able to demand respect. The Czechs became unified and defined themselves, causing enough trouble to force Austria to back down. Ultimately it all requires pride, vision, and will.
>>
>>16547014
>The people in this thread who think that it can somehow become the national language of Ireland again are completely delusional.
Why? Russia, Romania, and Hungary all went through this. We can expand this outwards to Italian, Spanish, German, and French, all of which were artificial dialects imposed upon the populace by a minority. Mandarin is this in multiple countries, and India did this with English. The only difference between all of these examples and Irish is that the Irish state doesn't want to make the Irish populace speak Irish.
>>
>>16547233
>Gaels don’t seem to define themselves in their own language and their own terms enough that they would be able to demand respect.
This is a universal across the West, and it's due to topdown ideological imposition. It's purely a political matter, it has nothing to do with the language being too archaic or whatever.
>>
How come nobody here has blamed the Catholic Church for it's role in propagating English to the Irish?
>>
>>16547247
>The only difference between all of these examples and Irish is that the Irish state doesn't want to make the Irish populace speak Irish.
ding ding ding, the cope about otherwise itt is fucking retarded. There was no will nor desire from the Irish to actually revive their language. And with Irish nationalism now meaning being drunks and only letting 100,000 shitskins a year, it is unironically jover
>>
Why make a new thread? Here is the post so we can continue
>>16541838
I'm nta but Jews had to bring together a multitude of different ethnicities from different cultures and countries. Jews from Morocco, Ukraine, Poland, Italy, Iraq, everywhere. They literally had to force a common language on each other when creating Israel. Irish people already had a common language upon independence - English. It's retarded to 2 compare the 2 situations because they're totally different.
>>
>>16547257
>>16547253
>>16547247
No, I already fucking told you, a small group of ideologues can't impose a language upon a populace.
>>
>>16547264
>Hebrew
>Russian
>Italian
>French
>German
>Spanish
>Romanian
>Hungarian
>English in India
>Spanish in the Americas
>Mandarin in China
>Mandarin in SEA
>Mandarin in Singapore
>Arabic in all of NAfrica and the Middle East
>all had a specific language or dialect imposed upon a population by an ideologically motivated minority that WANTED TO MAKE THE POPULACE SPEAK A CERTAIN WAY
What makes Ireland different?
>>
>>16547264
Massive cope
>>
>>16547266
The Irish suffer from a type of snowflake syndrome inherited from the Anglos. While the average German is learning 4 languages, the Irish are fumbling around barely speaking 1 correctly.
>>
>>16547253
Yeah pretty much true. Westerners defining themselves is antithetical to our current order.
>>
At this point, Irish-Americans are more Irish than the actual Irish themselves.
>>
>>16547284
>this is what plastic paddies actually believe
>>16547271
They do suffer from snowflake syndrome but its not from "Da Anglos" its entirely an Irish attitude. Its possibly related to Finnish snowflake syndrome, being an irrelevant backwater.
>>
>>16547287
Don't like the Finngols but atleast they managed to unite five dialects into a language that everyone speaks and reads within a generation when before it was irrelevant and just a passion project from Fenno-Swedes. Nearly all Finns were only united in their literacy in; Swedish, Russian and German. It would have been beyond easy to just fall back on Swedish since most finns were literate in that but instead they revived their irrelevant tongue easily.
>>
>>16547233
This shouldn't really be a national endavour imposed on the entire country, and my impression is that this is partly what is at fault with current government policy (having everyone study Irish is just throwing money down the drain). Focus on preserving and restoring the Gaeltachts and then go from there as you will only win ground in the places where a significant percentage already speak Irish on a daily basis. Having more Gaelic intellectuals doesn't hurt, but it doesn't really help much either as you will only get to the people on the street if the language is practical in their day-to-day lives.
>>16547247
Standardization is a very different thing from one language replacing an unrelated language as it is much easier to switch between two dialects/languages when they are closely related.
>>
>>16547298
Anyone who has actually learned a language will tell you it's easier to learn a unrelated language than it is to learn a sister language that is similar. Germans went from 30-40% high German to 100% within two generations, and that was with 80% of North Germans already being literate in low German. Why are you coping so much on behalf of the paddies? Do you think you're one of them because you're some white trash hick from bumfuck nowhere, USA?
>>
>>16547298
Whether the Gaeltachts grow has more to do with local leadership and identity than it has to do with money. The national second-language front and the first-language speakers are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>16547298
>>16547319
Specifically, the Irish would need a serious identity crisis leading to the opinion that one is only “fully” Irish if they speak Irish. The Gaeltacht is tiny now. The Gaeltacht can form the core of the actual speakers, but on the government level the goal should be getting the not fluent to partially fluent, and the partially fluent to fluent. In Scotland there’s been a huge boom in study of Gaelic despite actual speakers being isolated to the isles and small sections of the highlands. On that front, culture is more important than schooling. In the 19th century this would be newspapers, so whatever works today helps. There needs to be promotion of Gaelic music, poetry, small films, newspapers, forums, dating sites, whatever, just as long as it provides a practical reason to know Gaelic. These can really be modest cottage industries and work just fine.
>>
If an American wanted to learn Gaelic, should they do Scottish or Irish?
>>
>>16547305
The opposite is true, and I don't know how the fuck you could possibly think otherwise. I'm guessing you're an American.
>>16547319
Local leaders can always be motivated with money.
>>16547334
As I said, you're throwing money down the drain by doing this. Nobody is going to learn Irish if they don't have any use of it, and people only have use of it in areas where people already speak it, i.e. in the Gaeltachts. And creating and promoting more Gaelic media won't help as in this day and age it is impossible to compete with Anglosphere media.
>>
>>16547298
>This shouldn't really be a national endavour imposed on the entire country,
If you believe that speaking a language is a moral imperative then yes, it absolutely should.

>Standardization is a very different thing from one language replacing an unrelated language
It's the exact same thing, it just takes more time for the people to be conversant in the language. Not that it matters because the standardization of languages often unites speakers of dialects that are radically phonetically and grammatically different from eachother. Northern and Southern Italian were unintelligibile, and many of the dialects in Spain were (AND STILL ARE) literally separate languages (see: Portuguese). Not that this matters because over half of his list isn't just dialect standardization but just flat out learning a new language.
>>
>>16547359
>the only way to revitalize a language is if the political apparatus of the state is run by an ideologically devoted group of people who believed that speaking the language is a political and ethical goal indepenent of any kind of economic benefit
We know, that's what we've been telling you all thread.
>>
>>16547083
Basically this. Even corned beef, one of their most famous dishes, isn't the real Irish corned beef but Romanian Jewish corned beef.
>>
File: 1000048901.jpg (53 KB, 752x501)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>16539919
OP is still a faggot who was fiddled by a priest.
>>
>>16547359
Nope, but you’ve made it abundantly clear that you’re a budget bong with zero self awareness
>>
File: 1000048903.jpg (63 KB, 488x650)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>16547416
OP's step daddy likes bacon and cabbage
>>
>>16545053
> Czechs had centuries of that pressure to switch to German yet they didn't.
They did though. Czech had to be reconstructed and revived because only some rural retards still spoke Czech, everyone else spoke german. The reason Czechs sound like they've got a cock down their throat when they speak when compared to other slavic languages is because it's archaic.
>>
>>16548240
That's utter bullshit. Czech is the opposite of archaic, it sounds different because it has stress always on the first syllable, and it differentiates between long and short vowels (marked like "á" vs "a"). These are all innovations, and ironically make it sound pretty close to Hungarian which isn't even an Indo-European language.
>>
>>16539919
Globalisation. Tv, movies, music etc.
>>
>>16548686
Hungarian is archaic
>>
>>16548843
Your mother is archaic
>>
>>16544716
desu there really wasn't in retrospect
it's like the scots wanting independence, at this point it's really a sad larp
>>
>>16549324
Independence/balkanization only makes you richer when you're part of a large common market and safe from all hostile acts as the Irish were (British Empire) and Scotts (EU) could have been. Being independant means you can become tax havens while facing zero downsides as tiny cunts face around the world where they actually have to defend themselves. The Scotts want to have a monopoly on their oil while giving massive tax breaks to attract billionaires to their cunt to basically mirror what the Irish and Icelandic's are doing
>>
>>16542263
>funded
How? The Irish had nothing to fight with

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.