[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1947.jpg (99 KB, 507x412)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
The British Empire brought education, technology, law and democracy to the four corners of the globe. It also brought prejudice, discrimination, cultural bigotry and racism.

Was it worth it?
>>
>>16545784
Yes, next question
>>
>>16545784
>British Empire brought education
10% of the population was literate in 1947
>>
I love how people still accuse the British of starting the famines in India, when they in-fact mitigated it with their railroads

Never mind that progress begins with bumps on the road
>>
Indians should be thanking Britain
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oAxBI0O7dvc&pp=ygU9QnJpdGlzaCBoaXN0b3JpYW4gc2xhbXMgd29tYW4gb3ZlciBpbmRpYW4gYnJpdGlzaCBjb2xvbmlhcGlzaw%3D%3D
>>
>>16545794
1% was literate before colonization. Besides they mainly focused on higher education anyway, since it was more important
>>
>>16545796
why have no famines happened since then?
>>
>>16545784
Its worth it if you live in Britain.
>>
File: file.png (44 KB, 850x600)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
why was gdp per capita decreasing during the whole time? you would think if there's an 80% tax rate there would be surplus output after forcing people to work in the field and breaking their textile machines and thumbs
>>
File: file.png (596 KB, 616x347)
596 KB
596 KB PNG
why was the most modern place the one which resisted the rule the longest with local missiles? why wasn't any other city allowed to industrialize and why was that city deindustrialized?
>>
>>16545784
If anything the British made India less technologically advanced. They took a burgeoning industrial power, de-industrialized them and turned the nation into plantation workers.
>>
>>16545784
>We brought libtard, Westard values of democracy, "education" and "development" to random peoples that never wanted it and were content with their traditional life as is, now you have to think colonialism was le based and wholesome for those effected
Why do whiteoids constantly parrot this argument? You didn't bring law anywhere either. Even tribes in Africa like the Xhosa colonized by the British had their own traditional code of morals and law, simply not written. How is destroying traditionalism and culture by spreading the cancerous ills of modernity worldwide, this Western-created modernity now biting you in your own foot a win or an example of "wholesome benevolent colonialists"?
>>
>prejudice, discrimination, cultural bigotry and racism
India a hellhole
>>
File: file.png (47 KB, 475x584)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
why do they act like jews?
why do they bribe their enemies to join their side while they are completely incapable of winning a full on war?
why would white people deracinate an indo european civilization that they know shares the same language and pre christian religion?
I thought jews and anglos were different people
>>
File: Feriliserconsumption.jpg (58 KB, 600x450)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>16545803
>>
The Mughals were worse than the British
At least the British left something behind
>>
>>16545845
Is India trying to appropriate African Wakanda fantasies now?
>>
>>16545784
>It also brought prejudice, discrimination, cultural bigotry and racism.
How delusional does someone have to be to actually think these things didn't already exist all across the planet?
Discrimination is just part of evolution.
>>
>>16545784
Indians drink cow piss and bath in cow shit while gangraping random women in the street. Even if Britain killed fifty bajillion of them, they did nothing wrong except not staying longer.
>>
>>16546136
You can look it up, the Mughal Empire was the worlds largest economy producing 30% of the world's industrial output, this is mostly due to the cotton and textile industry. The same industry that was industrializing Britain, the US and Egypt. One of the main reasons the British colonized Egypt, India, and attempted the same in the USA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Mughal_Empire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De-industrialisation_of_India
>>
>>16546205
Pakistan tier Muslim niggers would NEVER embellish their own history, right Abdul?
>>
File: taj-mahal-agra-india.jpg (146 KB, 1500x938)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>16546011
Look at this beautiful piece of British architecture that has made India famous the world over. Clearly the British modernized a backward and savage country.
>>
>>16546230
I think if I was a Pakistani nationalist I would argue that Pakistan was always great, rather than pointing out its collapse. Its possible that all this might have happened anyway as the Mughal empire broke apart.
>>
>>16546205
>You can look it up, the Mughal Empire was the worlds largest economy producing 30% of the world's industrial output,
ah, this old horseshit again. So when Europe entered the largest and fastest moving economic, scientific, political, and philosophical golden age in human history they were actually stealing all that from the Indians before they even met them for the first time. Maybe stick with the idea that everything in history is actually proof that aliens intervened in every human society on a nigh on constant basis. It would sound a little more credible and a little less retarded if you said that.
>>
>>16546233
Stopping people from raping their nine year old child brides is in fact civilized.
>>
>>16546247
I don't think they were stealing from the Indians, just conquering a rival power. The UK doesn't produce cotton, they needed to get it from somewhere. And did you say the British had never heard of India until the 18th century?
>>
>>16545803

Because India industrialized, largely thanks to Britain.
India suffered from a famine almost every 20 years for the past 800 years.
Under British rule the intervals began to widen while the population exploded, so one a famine did hit in the 1940, it became devastating.
The whole reason why the 1940 famine in Bengal was so severe was because of the population boom under British rule.
>>
>>16546249
Pretty sure the British did the same in the 19th century.
>>
>>16546258
PS here is a reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_major_famines_in_India_prior_to_1765
>>
>indians breed like the cockroaches they are
>SAR SAR HELP US WE ARE STARVING! THE BRITISHERS DID THIS!
The poojeet has an average IQ of 82.
>>
>>16546011
why are white people comparing themselves to random subhumans who never did anything of value?
is that really the thinking that white people have been reduced to after a couple of decades of nigger worship?
>>
>>16546262
Here is a timeline of famines during British rule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_major_famines_in_India_during_British_rule

It's quite obvious that nothing actually changed between when the East Indian Company arrived and before that. The frequency remains roughly the same but the intervals begins to widen during the 20th century.
Nearly all famines were caused by weather combined with sharp population increase during the British rule which made each famine more severe than the previous. Industrialization works both ways.
>>
>>16546258
Same thing in Europe around that same time, and china. Agricultural societies always have famines, this problem was only recently solved in major industrial economies.
>>
File: Open Defecation.png (142 KB, 1190x682)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>16546254
Such development. Much civilisation.
>>
>>16546296
Why do you guys reply if you just want to talk about shit? Not really a response to the industrial status of 18th century Mughal India.
>>
File: file.png (529 KB, 1200x1200)
529 KB
529 KB PNG
>>16546296
india had a worse HDI than subsharan africa cause bongs worship niggers now
they worshipped niggers then
they'll worship niggers tillt he eime
you think agarians not using indoor toilets is relevant to what happens outside of that farm
>>
>>16546292
Yep but the 1940 famine is too often cited as something the British did and as something exceptional, when it really wasnt. It was a famine that largely followed a pattern of famines in India that was pretty much part and parcel of their society. Agricultural land is too depended on critical factors and when one factor fails, there is no failsafe, famine hits like flipping a switch.
Indias population had increased by nearly 100 million from 1900 to 1940. There was no way there wasnt going to be a famine if something was disrupted.
>>
>>16546233
A building the shape of a Hershey’s kiss isn’t infrastructure.
>>
>>16546233
God I hope I live to see the day that this building is demolished
>>
>>16546315
Well its 1943, right after the Japanese invaded Burma, and the claim is the British used scorched earth tactics in anticipation of a Japanese invasion of the Raj.
It reminds me of the debate over the famine around the same time in Ukraine. Depending on a person's political opinions they will argue if it was natural or anthropogenic.
>>
>>16546324
Immature, juvenile, and unneeded commentary. Typical.
>>
>>16546324
I think the Mughal's most lasting contribution of infrastructure is establishing a common currency.
>>
>>16546315
Crazy how humans breed like retarded rabbits and then blame the world for it.

It’s the same with Muslims in Gaza popping out endless babies because of Jewish successes in the area over the last century, who then claim they’re the REAL Palestinians.

God damn, humans need to stop having so much retarded sex and to stop having so many retard babies.
>>
>>16546343
Currency? Worth? You mean the thing all humans have a concept of?
>>
>>16546328
If the Hindu nationalists get their way they just might. Like the porcelain tower in China.
>>
File: file.png (353 KB, 800x928)
353 KB
353 KB PNG
The only real contentious point is that people shouldn't think that bongs freed the people, it was already free and won every war until they kept bribing and pulled every jewish tactic that they're facing right now in their own nations
>>
>>16546350
I would say its very much not something all humans have a concept of, especially currency. Tribal or nomadic people for example. You might claim that every agricultural society has some form of currency, but thats not what I said I said the common currency.
>>
>>16546369
>I would say it’s very much not something all humans have a concept of, especially currency.
Not an agreeable assessment, no, but concepts like prejudice and ownership are just basic concepts even cavemen are going to have and experience.
>>
>>16546358
can't wait
iran might be reverting to avestan tradition as well
everything will be restored
>>
>>16546374
Again, not talking about ownership, just the Mughal's common currency. Not interested in a debate if hunter gatherers have property.
>>
>>16546387
Worth and ownership are overlapping concepts. That you can’t connect the dots is a bit concerning.

Salt, was currency.
>>
>>16546394
So you really are from India huh. Need a new name besides the Rupee.
>>
>>16546233
The mughal were out at that point and India was descending to it's ussual oriental barbarism. Warrior classes seeing the decline of subcontinent BEGGED Britain to be anexxed. You can see it by the fact that most British wars in India were fought by sepoys. The only element that India needed to be unified was people intelligent enough to lead the army, element which subhuman pajeets who can't even score the same amount of medals as Estonia clearly lack.

Unfortunately Britain disappointed the Bharatians by not putting white people in charge. Instead the British Raj was left to be managed by the kings and priest of old, so that is the reason why for example Hyderabad is such an shithole while Tamils enjoy quite develop society.
>>
>>16546360
Delusional pajeet Maratha was already more akin to confederation but even that is a strech when the British arrive. The maps of big Maratha empire in the middle of India should be changed to maps of Shinde, Holkar, Peshwa and Bhonsle.
>>
>>16546477
Has any phrase done more damage than "97 percent of accomplishments in the scientific inventories"?
>>
File: file.png (461 KB, 640x426)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
>>16546477
niggers didn't even exist until you gave them your religion, your language and your genes
soon you'll have to give your land as well cause they import 85% of the food and will never produce anything
tik tok
hitler bad
>>
>>16545845
>india
>industrial
i kept hearing this meme, yet found no demostration of it
One I've seen of "indian industry" is a footpower textile weaver
>>
>>16546477
Why was this removed when it's not even wrong
>>
I just know this thread is full of seething indians without having to read it
>>
>>16545784
>also brought prejudice, discrimination, cultural bigotry and racism
Are we implying these weren't things in India before the British? Wanna look at the caste system and the relationship between Muslims and Hindus?
>>
>>16546541
It would be more correct to say industrializing or early industrial, but those hand powered looms are exactly the kind of thing populating the English textile mills at the same time England industrialized.
>>
India should be perpetually grateful to Britain for creating it and civilizing it. Without the British India would just be a filthier Africa.
>>
What do you idiots even think a colony even is? A charity organization? Why the fuck do you think Britain went through all the massive cost both economically and militarily of setting up a colony? For the locals sake? No you retards a colony exists for the express purpose of extracting wealth and resources from the colony to send back to the Colonizer. It's about resources and labor, and how you can get those cheaper by stealing them than trading for them. No one sets up a colony because they think they'll lose money.
>>
>>16545784
>prejudice, discrimination, cultural bigotry and racism.
I'm pretty sure the world had more than enough of it already.
>>
>>16547420
>Why the fuck do you think Britain went through all the massive cost both economically and militarily of setting up a colony?
It starts from a profitable enterprise but then suffers mission bloat. The EIC trade posts were profitable but then when Indian kangdoms were destabilised since the defeat of the ex hegemonic Mughals(with the confederation that did it now breaking down) they've decided to step in to stabilise it and eventually they're stuck governing a country and have to make it all profitable. They ask the government for subsidy to build railroads, after all regional integration should improve economy and you can figure out how it goes from there. It's very similar in Africa where trade posts and supply stations(later coaling stations too) were then expanded beyond need because there surely were resources there(that nobody needed at the price it would be profitable to start exploitation of most of them).
>>
>>16545784
Anybody who thinks that Britain was the center of civiliazation and law I strongly encourage to read a book called "London Labor and the London Poor" by Henry Mayhew. It's a series of interviews of the London poor, and my god it's illuminating how much of a shithole London could be in 1851.

Here are my favorite quotes:
"Don't know nothing about the sun, must be nearer than the moon 'cause it's warmer."
"God, he made the heaven and the earth, didn't hear about him making the sea."
"Never heard about Christianity."
"The first man and woman must have lived... over 100 years ago."
"Naples may be in Ireland or in France for all I know."
"I don't know whats the difference between a Jew and a Christian."
"I've heard of Jesus but I don't know who or what he was and I don't particularly care."
"London is in England, and England is in London, but I don't know which part."
"I don't know what the pope is... makes to difference to me when he's no customer of mine."
>>
>walls of text on India
Just say white good, brown bad and move on lol
>>
>>16547325
So it is the hand power looms. If that's what indians claim what industrialization means then its meaningless to me.
That sort of industrialization isn't novel to india let alone the 18th century.
>>
>>16547904
You could find people like this in the average modern american town too. Retards are timeless.
>>
>>16547904
Anon it was like that everywhere, but especially in England and in Germany because of the heavy industrialization. The labour unions movements were massive in these two countries because of the social inequality and the rapid growth of the working class who were working in appaling conditions to feed the chimneys.
>>
>>16547332
Lel. Except India blossomed one of the first civilizations in the world. Cope nigger.
>>
>>16548123
The textile industry was a key component in the industrial revolution, this is one of the main reasons the British invaded India, competition in the textile industry. But of course the Mughal's are also having other industries. They are producing more firearms than Britain as well.
>>
>>16548652
>the British invaded India

Moron.
Not only were you completely wrong about the textile industry being the most important aspect about trade with India. You also have zero clue how the British dominion over India came to be.
>>
>>16548664
Oh yes, the British owned and state backed monopoly company used the British navy, British army, and British officers to conquer India, until later when the British nationalized the company. How is that?
And if you don't think the cotton industry is highly influential in British foreign policy in the late 18th century, you don't know anything about the industrial revolution.
>>
>>16548652
No doubt
The problem is everytime I here about the "deindustrialization" of India, Indians always portray India as an advanced industrial society and Britain as a backwater that only industrialize because it stole everything from India.
Basically nationalist victimhood bullshit
When in reality, India is only proto-industrial society. And while India could have industrialize if it weren't for the EIC (though I doubt it due to their economic system), undermining British industrial accomplishing is pure cope.
No the British didn't steal industrial from India and its industrial rise didn't stem from the exploitation of India, it was always been an Industrial rival and probably one of the strongest.
Strong private property laws, internal stability, and versed in Newtonian phyisc basically made Britain destined to industrialize.
France was on a similar trajectory until the French Revolution came.
>>
>>16547904
>They don't know about my stone age cult, they're so stupid!
anon-chama...
>>
>>16545784
Hilarious how it's the exact opposite of what you wrote.

>technology to facilitate in trade and exports
>laws like the press acts, sedition acts to subvert criticisms and predatory land revenue systems to exploit peasants
>democracy(or lack there of) with limited accountability, responsibility and representation

All of these "developments" led to mass social reforms and national movements which bought the nation together including the women and oppressed "harijans" for a common cause.
It's safe to say the prejudice, racism, discrimination and bigotry was perhaps the lowest (not absent) during the exploitative era("development" jfc) of the British.
>>
>>16547904
>retards exist so civilization isn't real
Great take anon.
>>
>>16547904
>"I don't know what the pope is... makes to difference to me when he's no customer of mine."
Londoners used to be unfathomable based...
>>
>>16547904
Niggers have always been like that thoughever?
Just what are you implying anon?
>>
>>16545784
Indians weren’t a voting population in the British empire so how did they bring democracy?
>>
>>16546278
What kind of brown are you?
>>
>>16549039
>British army
Most of the army were sepoys tho. Educate yourself before you speak Rajesh.
>>
>>16552121
After Britain GIVE you independence they established democracy and work to dethrone Indian monarchs all out of goodness of their hearts. If not for Britain you would still be seen as subhuman slave to brahmins.
>>
>>16552186
"The British didn't conquer India" is the kind of argument I come to /his/ for.
>>
>The British Empire brought education, technology, law and democracy to the four corners of the globe

b.r.a.i.n.w.a.s.h.e.d.
>>
>>16545784
It's the natural order for a higher race to govern a lower race.
>>
>>16552530
Darwin kool aid drinker
IQ obsessor (minds are not representable by numerals)
Eugenic dreamer
Proto Monster
extremely low self esteem
Minimal grasp of history
Reliance on large narrative structures without a critical evaluative capability
Sad
>>
Obviously the British empire didn’t bring racism and discrimination to the countries it came to dominate, if anything it lessened those traits.

My answer however is no, the British empire was not worth it. The world would have been a better place if savages were left undisturbed in their ways and Britain could have remained white.
>>
>>16545784
If not them, then someone else.
At least they all got their independance given in the end - and didn't have to fight for it.
>>
>>16552723
>The world would have been a better place if savages were left undisturbed
You’re just prolonging the inevitable.
>>
Westernism humbled and made Japan better, arguably surpassing the West in areas, so why not India?

Cope more.
>>
>>16554295
The west destroyed and mangled Japanese culture and family life. It is quickly becoming a miserable society the further it gets from its roots.
>>
>>16552530
Wow... lot to unpack there...
>>
>>16552723
>The world would have been a better place if savages were left undisturbed in their ways and Britain could have remained white.
Fucking based and racepilled. To each their own!
>>
>>16545784
India was conquered not by The British Empire, but by a British corporation, The East India Company. They did this by borrowing money from Indian bankers, using it to hire Indian mercenaries led by British mercenary officers, and then plundered the country to pay back their creditors, borrow more, and hire more mercenaries, until this corporation had the largest standing army in the world. Every step of the way however it was Indian soldiers putting their boots to the necks of other Indians, because British corporate rule was preferable to their own warlords.
>>
File: CAESAR.gif (140 KB, 795x1080)
140 KB
140 KB GIF
>>16545784
LMAO, what an ignorant. The britshit got a power position in the Indian subcontinent only because it was profoundly divided without a national identity. It was not because they lacked education, technology or law. Also fuck democracy, only imbecile morons believe that shit is good.
>>
>>16546136
You must be britshit, only subhumans like you can be that retarded.
>>
>>16545784
>the bong empire brought broken english to the jeets so they can scam cracker boomers for Google play store money
>>
>>16552530
RISHI SUNAK THE PAKI """""SUBHUMAN"""" HINDU IS GOVERNING YOU BRIIISH FAGGOTS
and he's richer than your king charles

superior race?
>>
>>16545784
india already had education technology and law
>muh democracy
India still doesn't have that
>>
File: iu[1].png (906 KB, 1040x681)
906 KB
906 KB PNG
>>16545784
Embrace science with full honesty and you become "racist", it is scientific fact. Prejudice and discrimination ensure efficient application of the law, certain groups are incapable of maintaining high trust communities after all and need different laws. Cultural bigotry follows education. You often hear people say there are many right ways of doing things. It is the ultimate reddit fantasy to imagine, say, some native american moccasin cobbler developing string theory while sewing together some leather, outsmarting all the stuffy high energy particle physicists. Even if this is the case, the superior culture need only adopt that particular idea to remedy this shortcoming. The same with curry and tacos, imagine destroying your entire society over food.

>democracy
A mistake. You are right to point out this was an evil spread by the British Empire, I do not defend it. It was their gravest error.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.