[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Did you know that in South America existed a trail called Peabíru? It was a massive trail that connected the atlantic ocean to the incan empire. It was used by the portuguese duing colonization era. Its been confirmed a good proportion of the trail was made by giant pre-historical animals, which was later on preserved and developed by indigenous tribes.
>>
Not a race baiting thread, nor religious so it doesnt appeal to the haploautists and epic hoi4 gamers who post here.
>>
>>16548834
Thats pretty interesting. What kind of giant prehistoric animals? Like mastodons?
>>
File: iu[2].jpg (173 KB, 1195x1555)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
I did not know about this trail, but it seems logical that Incas, or a linked network of merchants, would be interested in reaching the Rio Paraguay and the climate of the area stretching from Sao Paolo to Buenos Aires, which was similar to the one surrounding Cuzco.
>>
Does this not imply there were other civilizations in the Americas outside of Mesoamerica or the Andes? A large trade network couldn't exist without anyone to trade with.
>>
>>16549121
of course there were. The portuguese only found out about the incas because shipwrecked europeans living along with the indians on the brazilian coast told them about it.
>>
>>16548871
Giant sloths come to mind
>>
>>16548834
But..
Who was here then?
Who were they trading with?
>>
>>16549121
The Guarani were quite a populous indigenous group in the Rio de Plata basin that practiced agriculture. A redditor might call them a civilization to virtue signal, but they were not comparable to a civilization like the Incas.
>>
>>16549192
lots and lots of different tribes. The guaranis, the tupiniquins, the tamoios, the carijós, the goitacas, the aimorés. There were a lot of different tribes, but none of them developed writting, clothing nor agriculture. Thats why we dont hear much about them.
>>
File: Guarani.png (5 KB, 394x332)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>16549192
>>
File: coast.jpg (304 KB, 605x704)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
Interesting.
One of these must be the one he >>16549157 mentioned.
>>
>>16549238
Yeah, there were a lot of different tribes, but every tribe on this map belonged to the same family group. The tupis, they loved war and also didnt allow other indian families to have access to the coast
>>
>>16549121
"Civilizations" is a stretch, but pre-colonial southern coastal Brazil was relatively dense in population numbers.

The local tribes were farmers in late neolithic-tier regional states, not jungle dwelling hunter-gatherers like most people think they were.
They were in an early urbanization process. If they weren't stopped by colonization they would eventually evolve into a proto-civilization in few generations.
>>
>>16549121
There were huge cities in the amazon that produced fertile soil (terra preta) along the mayor rivers and build massive earthworks. Big platforms and causeways to get out of the floodwaters. probably around 1/5th of the amazon is not wild forest, but planted food forest with a much higher proportion of trees yielding food, medicine or materials for human use. They died off from diseases before many europeans made it there.
Read up on Francisco de Orellana. He sailed down the amazon in the 1540s and had a friar with him that documented the journey and the massive populations they encountered. The account was mostly thought as being exaggerated, until logging and and lately ladar surveys uncovered more of the widespread earthworks.
>>
>>16549397
They weren't from the same family as you say, I'm sorry.
>Notably, we reveal how the Atlantic coast was occupied by Amazonian peoples through a wave of migration from northwestern Amazonia, and we further show that the Guarani peoples of southern Brazil and Paraguay came from a separate migration but share a common ancestor. We also detected a subsequent migratory wave coming from Mesoamerica that may have influenced the formation of the southern Tupí groups (Guarani branch).
>>
>>16550057
>>16549470
basically, waves of different migrations of different people.
and your relationship with each other is not really as close as you make it seem.
What this says is closer to the truth than your "agricultural peoples" in the process of "civilization", this is a larp that could only be learned at USP.
:>>16549220
>>
>>16550057
>>16550080
>>16549470
and your point about them being "densely populated" is information I want to know exactly where you got it from.
>In addition, we found genomic evidence of coastal population collapse, with an extreme bottleneck effect in the admixed Tupiniquim population.
the Portuguese didn't say that, genetics doesn't say that, and their way of life doesn't match that
>>
>>16549680
The Amazon north of what is being discussed you nigga
>>
>>16550101
that other anon asked about the americas. also theres some tributaries to the amazon that get pretty close to the trail in the OP. I would be surprised if it wasnt connected to the amazonian people as well.
>>
>>16550080
>this is a larp that could only be learned at USP
Obsessed. No, I'm not from USP, dummy, I'm just a southerner who likes to read stuff about natives in my own land.
The Guarani tribes were relatively well organized in comparison to Macro-Je people from the countryside.
>>
>>16550749
>>16550080
I'm also not even the same dude who posted all the comments you are malding about. I just posted this one >>16549470
>>
>>16549397
They aren't all from the same family. The map itself shows the difference between the fonts: the ones whose names are in italic font are members of other families, non-Tupi.
>>
>>16549220
The Carijós are also Guarani. "Carijó" just the ethnonym given by the Guaranis who lived next to the coast.
>>
>>16548834

>[...] a good proportion of the trail was made by giant pre-historical animals[...]

LO INCREÍBLE ES QUE HAY MILLONES DE INDIVIDUOS QUE SE CREEN FANTASÍAS INVEROSÍMILES COMO ESA.
>>
>>16550749
>>16550749
Não sou o cara, mas nah.
Eles eram basicamente parecidos no sentido cultural e "organizacional".
>>
>>16549121
that's like assuming there was a great proto-Polish empire in antiquity because there was a trade route connecting Rome with Baltic amber.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.