[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

If God does only the minimum for goodness to keep increasing, and we "fellow workers" do the rest of the job, why thanking God for good things that happen? How do we know if something was done by God or by earthly creatures?
>>
Bump
>>
>>16549213
>why thanking God for good things that happen?
They're all because of Him! Even just opening your eyes in the morning. Light that He made comes into eyes that He made to be processed by a brain that He designed. Your breakfast is food that He made grown with the sun that He made and tasted with a tongue that He made.

If someone gave you a Bugatti and all of its gas would it make sense to not thank them since you'll be the one driving it?

>How do we know if something was done by God or by earthly creatures?
Amos 3:7 has the answer: "Surely the Lord GOD does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets.".

If God is actively taking direct action, Amos 3:7 indicates that a prophet would be told.
To my knowledge the most recent thing God did directly was what's described at https://fisheaters.com/juliantemple.html. Historically I'm not aware of any more recent direct miraculous action on His part
>>
>>16550803
>They're all because of Him! Even just opening your eyes in the morning.
Right, so evil is not because of free will. So why does evil exist?
>>
>>16550811
>Right, so evil is not because of free will
How do you figure?
>>
>>16550811
>>16550815
To clarify I was saying He gets credit since He created all of these things, not that He directly opens your eyes or things like that. It's like if someone built you your own personal amusement park it would make sense to be thankful to him even if he isn't directly pushing you on the rollercoasters
>>
>>16550803
God may have created the framework, but if God is not the one acting good, why should we thank God? By your logic we should also be disappointed with God when bad things happen, since they also happen in the same framework.
>>
>>16550866
>God may have created the framework, but if God is not the one acting good, why should we thank God?
You're sure hard to please P: Even a universe isn't enough! What exactly does someone need to give you to earn your gratitude? If I buy you a new Bugatti are you going to come to me next week saying "yeah sure the car is cool and all but what else ya gonna do?"

>By your logic we should also be disappointed with God when bad things happen
Are you gonna be disappointed with me if the headlight on your new Bugatti goes out? If I had given you a Bugatti with just one headlight in the first place, would you have been mad then?
>>
>>16550903
While the Bugatti is a metaphor for a good thing, I see the universe as neutral. That's because good or bad (in fact horrible) things can happen in the universe that God created. So the universe is not like a Bugatti to me, but more like a machine that can bring either happiness at some circumstances and pain at another.
>>
>>16550942
pain at other*
>>
>>16550942
God makes sure goodness is always increasing so the universe is going to get better and better, there will be more good and less bad as time goes on - and that will always be true!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.