[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 7qufqu681yp81.jpg (6 KB, 240x240)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I feel like atheists are correct about the Abrahamic God but not God in general. Really God could be considered anything since people have different belief systems on what God is but regardless, when atheists complain about God it is usually the 'Creator' type. But if the Universe blew up out of nowhere and created all of this couldn't we call It, God, just by that act alone? It is, after all, the 'Creator' in a causally basic sort of way. I think theists could be liberal with this if they wanted to be, that way, atheists wouldn't be so butthurt about it and perhaps stop the argument all together.
>>
>God but not God in general
Gibberish
God, is a highly polysemous word
>>
>>16549974
So, the most common attribute between all parties: theist, atheist, or otherwise is when they try to talk about a God as a Creator God, so why not just cut to the chase and say the Universe is God, if it supposedly created everything?
>>
>well maybe im wrong about god but some sort of maybe kinda thing we could vaguely call god could perhaps exist so i win
>>
File: aaf.png (243 KB, 680x709)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>16550058
>>
>>16549929
As an atheist, I agree that some sort of Deism is infinitely more plausible than revealed Abrahamic religion is. I think the balance of probability is against, but it's a reasonable belief unlike the latter. In fact it's a real problem for Christian etc apologists that they don't realise even proving something like a Prime Mover gets them no closer to proving their religion
>>
Well done OP, you are way ahead of the curve

...keep going
>>
>>16550087
I think it's plausible that there is a God even going so far as saying the Universe could be It, and it could even be the Abrahamic God, but most likely not in the way the Abrahamic theists explain It. I think it is possible that Christianity has pieces of the puzzle but it is not all of the puzzle hence atheists wondering where all the other pieces are.
>>
>>16550033
>Universe is God
"God", lol. What do you mean by that
Is this "God" compatible with atheism?
>>
>>16549929
I think a sort of ab chao model where the universe is simply unpredictably chaotic at very large and very small scales and the physical "laws" having emerged from a random configuration - and just being our observations of temporarily non-chaotic systems and not set-in-stone laws - is far more likely than a conscious being having actually designed it from scratch.
>>
>>16550140
I'm saying simply what we know, that the Universe came from nothing and suddenly appears. Why can't everyone agree that this in itself, is possibly God? Science itself confirms that much.
>>
>>16550154
>I think a sort of ab chao model where the universe is simply unpredictably chaotic at very large and very small scales and the physical "laws" having emerged from a random configuration

What if this is simply a formula for consciousness?
>>
>>16550160
>Why can't everyone agree that this in itself, is possibly God?
I don't know what God is, you'd have to tell me.
>>
>>16550196
I don't know what God (a Creator) is either I'm just hypothesizing what it could be based on what is currently known.
>>
>>16549929
It's also possible not to be a Christian and believe God or source exists, that angels exist, heaven and hell exist, a purging or learning exists like a life review where you have to pay for what you've done, the Bible prophets existed, and Jesus existed. It's also possible to believe in eucharistic miracles and Marian apparitions being real and not be Christian.
>>
>>16550218
>God (a Creator)
You clearly have something in mind by those words.

I think the universe is the universe.

You want to say it's something else. A God/creator
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>16550268
I mean, to put it very simply and let me repeat myself again, that the Universe came into existence, and that it has creations within it. This by itself, I think, could possibly be called God.
>>
File: universechart.jpg (2.92 MB, 1020x7200)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>16549929
>if the Universe blew up out of nowhere and created all of this couldn't we call It, God, just by that act alone?
So god is just a name? What if the universe is eternal?
>>
>>16550311
It depends on your definition of what 'God' is, for the purposes of a 'Creator God' I can adequately equate this to the Universe itself. If the Universe is eternal, we can add onto the fact that the Creator is eternal.
>>
>>16550160
>I'm saying simply what we know, that the Universe came from nothing and suddenly appears
How do we know that? If you mean the Big Bang, that doesn't explain the creation of matter, just the current arrangement of it. For all we know, the universe is infinitely old.
>>
>>16550301
I think the universe is the universe
You think the universe is God

What do you believe that I don't? Be specific
(Implying stuff by using words like, 'creations' -> 'creator' is not helpful.)
>>
>>16550347
Anon it doesn't matter, none of this matters, all we need is a Big Bang to solve the God question.
>>
>>16550357
The God question doesn't matter
>>
>>16550356
I am saying no matter how you cut it, it still looks the same.
>>
>>16550328
I'm an atheist. I believe there's a universe, but also the universe is God.
An atheist who believes in God... Isn't that weird? Almost seems like someone is using language in a retarded way.
>>
>>16550362
Because it's already solved anyway, Anon.
>>
>>16550363
If you got nothing, then we can just keep calling the universe; the universe. Much less confusing, than calling it God.
>>
>>16550373
But with the traditional understanding of God, as a Creator, then the Universe is God because all other subsequent creations came after it. You can call it anything you want but for the purposes of a God, the definition is sufficient enough.
>>
>>16550385
>You can call it anything you want
I'm just gonna keep calling the universe, what everyone else is calling it
>>
>>16550414
Not everyone calls it the Universe.
>>
>>16549929
Doesn't matter. You're gonna die and disappear. You can come up with whatever you want but it will change nothing.
>>
>>16550469
It's over for OP..
>>
Maybe the real God was the friends we made along the way...
>>
>blew up out of nowhere
>came into existence
Look, coming into existence...
That's not something God is in the business of doing. Huge dissimilarity right there
>>
>>16549929
>I feel like atheists are correct about the Abrahamic God
your feelings regarding the position atheists take on God is not a good indicator whether that position is correct or not, because, 99% of the time, the position that they've reached is feelings based as well
>>
>>16551275
Ok
>>
>>16549929
Jesus Christ is God, simple as

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.