[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

why do humans stop caring about getting children as soon as they get above a certain threshold in quality of life?
>>
wtf happened in 1963
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_capacity
This makes economists shit and piss their pants.
>>
>>16599080
jfk assassination
>>
>>16599045
Because we don't need children to survive past 60 anymore when they take care of us. Personal fulfillment takes place over survival instincts and persona fulfillment and having kids don't align for everybody.
>>
>>16599084
Maybe if people in the 80a hadn't been predicting we've have already experienced Malthusian population collapse by now we would be talking more about that
>>
>>16599100
peak oil q3 2024
>>
>>16599087
This plus people have so many options in front of them now, the idea of being locked in to raising a kid for ~18 years is scary. If you lived in one village your whole life you wouldn't stress.
>>
>>16599087
Except you do, its just outsourced from your own kids to everyone else's kids.
>>
>>16599045
Loads of factors that come along with economic development have made large families a net negative.

>decline in small family-owned businesses/farms
>child labor no longer seen as acceptable
>near-zero child mortality
>rising real estate prices make large houses unaffordable for most families
>increased social expectation to spend on activities and stuff for children
>university education becomes necessary and ever more expensive
>the state provides health care and pensions in old age
>>
>>16599080
Exponential growth and absolute increase in numbers breaks percentage increases over time.
Additionally, the pill and at will abortion a decade later.
>>
Elves have fewer offsprings than Goblins
>>
>>16599100
Plenty of nations have birth rates below replacement rate, population decline is inevitable and will only be masked, not prevented, by importing third worlders where the decline will hit later.
>>
>>16599087
You have the illusion that you dont, but you very much do. You think money will take care of you but when have lost your strength and sanity, your money is worthless. Only someone who loves you would take good care of you when you are elderly and vulnerable.
>>
>>16599045
Look up the 'Mouse Utopia' experiment.
>>
>>16599045
Why are people bitching about women getting abortions when this chart clearly shows that our population is exploding? Human population isn't the stock market, we can actually have too many of them
>>
>>16600157
>this chart clearly shows that our population is exploding
>our population
Whose population exactly Anon?
>>
>>16600160
The human population. I still see you as human anon. Even though you are a bit more monkey than human technically you can breed with a human being
>>
File: 1687301527642394.png (327 KB, 747x586)
327 KB
327 KB PNG
>>16600146
You mean the experiment they replicated and found that giving the rats mazes and balls and other activities to stimulate them made them not only not go insane but resulted in their populations stabilizing at a manageable level?

That one? The experiment where the rats had literally nothing to do but eat and fuck? That shitty experiment taking very intelligent animals and locking them in what is basically a prison and making a surprised Pikachu face when they developed antisocial behaviors?

You should be sterilized.
>>
>>16600169
I think the point is that a human civilization once it reaches a certain level has the same effect on us that it has on rats. This even happened with ancient civilizations like in Rome and Greece (thoughbeit mainly with aristocratic families)
>>
>>16600168
That's racist.
>>
File: file.png (94 KB, 620x936)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
>>16600157
>our population
>>
>>16600180
All the more reason people need to stop bitching about abortion.
>>
>>16599045

there is no benefit to have children anymore when they can't work for you, when it costs $100,000 to send them to college, and when life is unaffordable in the first place

the decline will continue until the economy collapses and people chose an economy that isn't based on capitalism
>>
>>16600174
>I think the point is that a human civilization once it reaches a certain level has the same effect on us that it has on rats.
What, if youre imprisoned with literally nothing to do but eat and fight and fuck, you eat babies and forget how to rear children? You need stimulation, retard, and urban planning reflects this.
>This even happened with ancient civilizations like in Rome and Greece (thoughbeit mainly with aristocratic families)
That was lead in the water pipes driving the populations insane along with a bunch of other factors
>>
>>16600174

Those aristocratic families became more concerned with staying in charge than with keeping the society alive. The whole reason Rome was so successful is because they were able to make those two things one and the same for quite a long time, and they were able to bring their new conquests into that system.

>>16600197
>What, if youre imprisoned with literally nothing to do but eat and fight and fuck, you eat babies and forget how to rear children? You need stimulation, retard, and urban planning reflects this.

I think that humans (and rats) quickly figure out if they can't have any influence over their long-term survival and the continuation of their bloodline, so all the things they'd normally do to achieve that fall by the wayside and are out-competed by short-term strategies.

Humans invent games for ourselves to do in the meantime, and we either make THAT the thing that determines long-term survival, or we use it to find out who can be trusted with the real work of long-term survival. Societies that mess this up don't last long.

>That was lead in the water pipes driving the populations insane along with a bunch of other factors

They knew about this to some degree. When they built new structures they'd only have servants live there for a year or two until the pipes became calcified. What might have been happening was that education about things like this became more lax, and people would start to cut corners on things like that so they'd have cheaper or faster villas, or some started to consider it to be superstition and others encouraged it to keep them down. So the real problem was that the existing aristocracy were more concerned with staying in charge and were unable to assimilate new blood into their culture.
>>
File: muh econmy.jpg (91 KB, 1074x826)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>16600192
See this meme again. Muhammad and Abidah may be poor, but their kids can work for them and they probably will not send all of them to college. It may be that they live in a third-world country where everything is relatively cheap, or they live in a relatively self-sufficient ethnic community (also see that chart showing Mormons and Muslims being the only religious groups with above-replacement TFR)
Until recently the developed world had all these things.
>>
>>16599080
jewish control
>>
>>16599045
They don't, Jews just don't bother trying to subvert and destroy them until they get that much.
>>
>>16600226
How many kids do you have anon?
>>
>>16600305
None right now because Jews made me a virgin
>>
>>16599045
Because that's when the propaganda and moral degradation starts to take hold.
>>
>>16600305
I'm not married because I'm too busy with college. Which tends to be a problem for aristocratic and clerical classes in society, why they have fewer children - they're just too busy. This certainly explains why commoners are, well, "common".
>>
>>16600305
Nice ad hom.
>>
>>16600368
>t. has 0 kids and will die alone
>>
>>16599045
It's the opposite. Quality of life is decreasing due to absurd cost of living. A family home is half a million and regulations prevent you from just building a shack in a slum anyway.
>>
>>16599045
People aren't having kids because we're living in times of great scarcity, THOUGHT
>>
>>16600375
>Doubles down.
>>
Human beings are not designed to live in welfare state where you will be cared for and given comforts no matter what. Having many children serves both the biological purpose of spreading and preserving your genes, but also as the world’s oldest retirement plan. The Young you create are meant to look after their elders

This is no longer required, human brains are smart enough to ignore the base desire but not smart enough to see the long term ramifications

This plus the mouse utopia experiment showing societal collapse once all needs are fulfilled with no struggle existing any more.
>>
>>16599080
contraceptives, modern medicine, people realizing they no longer need 8 kids as a retirement plan
>>
>>16600368
Answer the question
>>
>>16600305
I have 2 sons with a third on the way
stop being a nigger worshipping homosexual and go impregnate a woman for the good of the species
>>
>>16600647
Who said anything about niggers and gays?
>>
>>16600659
Don't mind him, he's an amerimutt
>>
>>16600659
I’m just going with the assumption that as an anti-natalist you are yourself a homosexual lower ape
>>
>>16600669
I never said I was an antinatalist
>>
>>16599045
Most children were born because of sex drive. They weren't planned. Parents were just horny. Having children has always been a huge cost, it's just that people couldn't stop themselves from having unprotected sex, or sometimes they wouldn't even connect the dots that sex results in pregnancy results in children.

In order to achieve a certain civilization development level, you need to have impulse control. Imagine a bunch of niggers on drugs designing a space shuttle. Ain't gonna happen.

This means that every developed society is educated and aware of the costs of having children. And they don't fucking want to have them because why.

Think about how salmon reproduces. It chills in the sea when one day the nature calls and it swims extremely dangerous and exhausting path upstream just to lay eggs and then die. If the salmon suddenly became capable of understanding the cost and consequences of reproduction from the perspective of an individual, 99% of them would just say "fuck it imma stay here and eat plankton" and the population would collapse and vanish within two generations max.

This is exactly what's happening to people.

The only solution is to organize the society in such a way that having children becomes beneficial. Heavily tax single people, use that tax to subsidize having children.

Obviously nobody will vote for that policy though.
>>
>>16599045
because the biggest economic reason to have children is to ensure your survival and care in old age. once you get past a certain level of economic development, retirement savings and pensions become a factor. old age pensions are the single greatest factor in reducing birthrates.
>>
>>16600168
>Wants to call someone le racist but tries to be a smartass passive aggressive faggot about it
>Becomes racist xirself
Sister, you will get cancelled.
>>
>>16599163
what options
>>
There are literally projected to be 10 billions of us in the coming decades. How many more people do we need. For most of human history population growth has been slow or even in some decline. This massive explosion in population into the billions has only happened in the last 200 years. This just seems like a return to normal. Stop being a whiny bitch and accept it already. Stop making these threads
>>
>>16601105
Mostly career directions and places to live. If you live alone or just with a girlfriend, deciding to up and move from New York to Florida or from Britain to Italy isn't as big a deal as if you have three kids in various grades with social connections already developed.
>>
>>16600327
>I'm of the aristocratic class because I'm going to college like 80% of people in the Western world
>>
>>16601112
90% of people (in america at least) don't do this though, they stay where they live and work a series of menial jobs then die
introducing a child into their life would not interfere with this and if anything would give them some meaning in their otherwise pointless life
and if they are in the 1% that does move around, well plenty of cultures historically did this, i did as well since i was born into a military family, if anything it made me more developed
>>
>>16599045
Because our society has a fear of two things:

>children
>getting old

We live in a society of manchildren and womanchildren who can only think ME ME ME and have no other thoughts.
>>
>>16600647
I'm your brother. Your name starts with T. You should be working.
>>
>>16600226
Only societies with that much of kids nowdays are agrarian african countries. TFR of Egypt is 2.6 probably
>>
>>16599045
Two Reasons:
First: People who have more wealth can afford a reproduction strategy that involves putting lot's of resources into fewer kids who now have a greater chance for success. This is in contrast to those without the resources to invest in their offspring who thus produce statistically more progeny so some might find success through sheer statistical mass. We find the same in nature, with creatures such as insects that do not put many resources into their children laying thousands of eggs while mammals, which tend to put time and resources into child rearing, have much fewer. Smart/Rich/"White" people are not "failing to breed", they are pursuing a more efficient reproduction strategy with a higher buy-in cost.
Second: In undeveloped societies , having more children unironically INCREASES your chances of prosperity. More kids=more workers on farm=more soldiers in the local militia=a larger clan that can give nepotism hires to its members and resit other clans. In industrial "atomized" society however, it's the opposite. The Wage system means having a kid doesn't increase your labor supply, it means you increased the Bourgeois's labor supply. The amount of resources you have to spend feeding, housing, and educating a kid for ~18 years FAR outweighs any extra pocket change they might get from their part time retail/food service job, and once they grow up rather than staying in the home contributing to the extended families welfare their whole life, they are expected to completely financially divorce themselves from you and create a separate household economic unit as soon as they hit working age. And because the Clan has been replaced with the nuclear family, you can't form a "Nepotism Chain" where everyone in the clan employs everyone else in the clan in a single governmental department or such.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.