[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: alvin_plantinga.jpg (48 KB, 600x426)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Why do people still think the problem of evil still disproves the existence of God? Alvin Plantinga solved it a long time ago.
>>
>>16608765
>another that doesn't understand tge problem of evil
Many such cases
>>
people don't think that
another christcuck strawman
>>
>>16608765
>Plantinga's argument states that "It is possible that God, even being omnipotent, could not create a world with free creatures who never choose evil. Furthermore, it is possible that God, even being omnibenevolent, would desire to create a world which contains evil if moral goodness requires free moral creatures.

But God also has free will and always does good though. So why didn't he create humans to be that way?
>>
Intellectually lazy argument.
>>
How much money does a grifter like this make?
gotta be a pretty easy gig
>>
>>16608765
>bro earthquakes and viruses are caused by demons and shieet
Plantinga is an overrated shitwit who makes extremely narrow arguments hoping that believers will misunderstand them and interpret them in a wider scope.
>>
>>16608765
The problem of evil doesnt disprove God, but at least it does disprove that he has morals comparable to an average human's. That doesnt mean he has no morals either mind you.
>>
>>16608782
I thought plantain was a Calvinist?
>>
>>16609509
Yeah... Well, it's possible Calvinism is wrong. At that's all I need for the problem of evil to go away.
>>
>>16609509
Did Dirk make you think that?

Dirk doesn't understand that Plantinga's free-will defence, supposes free will.
It's not compatible with the Calvinist position.
>>
The Free Will Defense only tries to solve moral evils, not natural ones as well. And it's not even satisfactory: free will without evil is a possibility.
>>
>>16609558
Tbh Plantinga is a Calvinist, it's just that his free will defense has a rather specific use case that doesn't include his own religious position.
>>
Le gud and le bad
If you ignore what bible says and do what you want, you're gud.
If you do what bible says it's bad and out of context :(
>>
>>16609610
>Tbh Plantinga is a Calvinist
lol, seriously?
That's so retarded
>>
>>16608782
>God, even being omnipotent, could not blah blah
is it even possible to self-contradict in a shorter span?
>>
Agreed
As a theist the problem of evil is trivial when you aren't stuck with the Bible or Christian doctrine
>>
>>16609972
Yeah. The objective of his FWD is strictly to prove that the logical problem of evil isn't conclusive, but his audience are rubes who don't understand that this isn't enough to defeat all problems of evil with regards to all theistic positions.
It's like if I said something like:
P1: There's no human who can achieve escape velocity under his own power.
P2: A human would need to achieve escape velocity under his own power to jump to the moon.
C: There's no human who can jump to the moon.
And my friend objected that my argument may be wrong because I can't prove that there isn't a guy somewhere out there who can achieve escape velocity under his own power.
>>
>>16611182
You don't even need to ditch the Bible, just ditch the NT. God straight up confesses in Isaiah that He does everything, good and bad alike. A god who is above the categories of good and evil, which is far more profound. It makes Moses' speech on the Torah being the path of life all that more impactful, since it's God extending a hand of mercy to a world full of death and suffering through life giving knowledge.
>>
>>16608765
The problem of evil merely disproves the "omnibenevolent God" and questions any type of personal god.
>>
>>16611761
>merely
so are we done? no actual abrahamic religion posits any other type of god.
>>
>>16611777
God can have his own agency and own belief and interests for the human race it created.
The God in the Bible is more human than the living concept Deism make it to be. It got merged with the latter by years of theology rationalizing his existence.
>>
>>16611786
deism is cope by individuals, it's not a religion. catholicism, protestantism, eastern orthodox etc. are.
>>
Even the free will defence has problems. If one person uses their free will to make other beings with free will suffer, forever, then is free will always a good thing? Also, without a proper understanding of consequences you can't properly exercise free will - how could Adam and Eve know the consequences of sin if they had no concept of it?
>>
>>16611166
Religious people have a special definition of omnipotence that they use to reconcile the concept with their other beliefs. When they use the term, they mean that god is capable of doing anything that is not in violation of logic.
>>
Well, It's possible [x] is something God desires, and that's why we see it

Look, this is so silly. Just goes to show that Christianity is infinitely malleable. Doesn't make predictions.
Plantinga could say the same things even if everyone spent our entire lives being tortured in cages, then died.
>>
>>16612073
What are those laws of logic that God cannot trespass? I want to read up on them.
>>
My view of evil, is basically that it's a word humans made-up for stuff they dislike.

Plantinga going like: "It's logically possible you need it to be possible for people do evil, cuz of free will, cuz free will is the the biggest good, and God wants the biggest good"
My honest reaction is, Wow, nice string of words you put together.
People seriously think there's a fact of this matter? That's something profound has been said? LMFAO

Guess if you define your terms carefully, you can have a self-consistent story. That's nice...
>>
>>16612286
If evil is necessary for a good world, then how can heaven exists?
>>
>>16612296
It just does, right? There's no contradiction.
Besides, it's not like I'm gonna tell you what heaven is.
>>
>>16612304
>There's no contradiction.
incidentally this is one of the most frequent turns of phrase - if not THE most frequent - in the Talmud.
>>
The problem of evil was a hole Christians dug themselves into by declaring God to be supremely powerful and benevolent. Jews never had that issue since they freely acknowledged that God is capricious and not necessarily a nice guy.
>>
>>16612279
presumably whatever causes difficulties for the theist in the discussion going on at the moment.
>>
>>16612600
Christian theology does it by giving a certain inherent value to human life that the other Abrahamic religions don't. In Islam, the life is nothing more than a test to see how well you can submit to god. Seeing it that way makes the God's will argument for the problem of evil disappear.
>>
>>16612572
>the talmud
Talmud status is so denounced after watching this:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/dTMflaa6AFnN/
>>
>>16612600
yeah why would a wind god be particular good or evil
>>
>>16613055
do have a video that exposes the jewish torah?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.