[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hey /ic/, tourist back for a little advice. I posted a thread a little while ago about getting into cross-stitch. I said that for my next project, I was planning on using AI as a base to create some custom pixel-art, and then use that as a base for cross-stitch.
It's been harder to put the pixel art together than I thought it would be, and I wondered if I could get a little advice from people with far better ideas than me about colours, what works and what looks right etc.
First of all, for reference, the pic here is the 'pixel-art' bear I generated with AI to use as a base. As you can see, though I specified a limited range of colours, AI did what it always does and only creates the illusion of doing what you want, and this image uses a wide array of colours. There are also a few instances where the 'grid' of pixel art doesn't quite line up. Still, I went forward using this as a base....
>>
File: CSBear.png (2 KB, 80x80)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>7140163
....using a site I found to compare RGB values with DMC thread values (there are around 450 different thread colours) and corresponding a mix of what was closest and what looked right, I painstakingly recreated the image in true pixel art using only DMC colours, and ended up with the result you see here.
I was surprised that some of the closest matching colours ended up being dark purples among other things. I've also taken a few liberties and smoothed out a few edges that didn't quite look right.
(had to convert the file to .png because 4chan won't take .bmp files, go figure)
>>
File: CSBearalt.png (2 KB, 80x80)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>7140163
>>7140167
There was one area of colour that looked out of place to me, so I created an alternate version replacing the odd colour with another one I was already using, and this was the result.
It's annoying that I can't post them 'pixel accurate' because 4chan won't take .bmp, so I appreciate you might not be able to see the difference as well as I would like, but I'd be willing to convert them a different way if you can suggest a better way to post such small pixel art on 4chan.
>>
No pixel artists here?
>>
I'm a pixel artíst by I dont feel like helping someone who doesn't make art
>>
>>7140263
well that's half-fair - I'm not an artist, in fact I'm pretty bad at art. If anyone asked me to do a pixel-art bear from scratch it would be unrecognisable as a bear, quite possibly even a mammal. I just want to create some cross-stitch patterns, without being limited to the patterns that already exist online (there aren't that many, so choice is a luxury).
Originally I wanted to just convert pixel art into cross-stitch, but again I found my options were limited, especially as most pixel art uses a wide variety of shades and is often quite large, unless the subject is overly cartoony, which I wasn't looking for.
I'm only really using the AI as a base to work from - I've had to manually create the pixel version, change all the colours to DMC thread RGB values, and tweak/edit parts that didn't quite look right. It's as good as I'm ever going to be able to do, because I could never hope to even come close to creating a piece of pixel art like this otherwise. I'm left-brained not right-brained.
I'm doing the best I can, but if you want to be a snob about it, fair enough.
>>
File: CSBearZoom.png (55 KB, 1151x794)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
Found a better way to present the difference - this is the original one I created....
>>
File: CSBearaltZoom.png (55 KB, 1165x816)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>7140287
...and this is the alternate.
>>
File: IMG_20240420_194600.jpg (282 KB, 720x723)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20240420_194504.jpg (267 KB, 704x739)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>
>>7140346
>>7140348
I don't understand what you're trying to suggest. I'm just a tourist anon who wants to do cross-stitch. I have no idea on the politics on this board. Also, I fucking hate furry scum.
>>
File: showpng.png (20 KB, 936x654)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>7140163
>>
>>7140407
Pic2pat.com. Upload whatever image, set the size and stitch number, wait for it to generate the pattern and instructions with all the colors.
>>
>>7140163
Use Photopea, it's a free in-browser photoshop. I assume it has gradient mapping, so use that to change and limit the colours. Then just zoom in super close and fix up any parts that don't follow the grid - you should even be able to see a grid (if not, go into the view menu, and turn on the grid, and change the setting for the grid to ensure it's 1x1 pixel measurements).
Make sure you're working in CMYK colour mode if you're printing the pixel art out, so that the colours are close to what's on screen.

Honestly, you could probably save yourself a lot of hassle by either just using pixel art you like (rather than trying to get AI to do it), or by learning to make pixel art yourself - there's a reason so many indie games use pixel art, it's very easy to get into, even microsoft paint can make pixelart.
>>
>>7140163
>I generated with AI to use as a base
You done fucked up and will waste hundreds of hours fiddling with this shit never getting the result you want.
>>
>>7140682
There's a thread right now about pixel artists tracing AI art >>7140219
So if the OP doesn't want to draw their own art, and just wants cross-stitching patterns, this is a reasonable option. Accept that AI is here, and there are some use cases for it, such as this.
>>
>>7140689
>There's a thread right now about one retard wasting ten times more time tracing AI
fixd
Just like this retard who's now struggling way too much making heads or tails of the bullshit the stupid robot spewed instead of making a simple and clean pattern themselves.
Every time you give creative control away to machines or equally retarded committees, you multiply your work tenfold. Because not you not only have to learn to draw that shit yourself anyway, you also have to learn to translate from retard to make sense of the shit reference you've been given.
>>
I was a professional pixel artist and I'm not even sure what you are asking?

Firstly png can represent pixel perfect images not sure where you are getting the idea it can't
Secondly, is the entire issue that the colours are way too varied? Congrats that's a limitation of AI - you could fix this via forcing a colour pallet onto the image - aseprite can do this and will "best match" colours to a set pallet
As for getting the images to "fit to the grid" it's not possible without redrawing it
You might get what you are after by shrinking the image down into a 1 to 1 pixel ratio, and then rescaling it back up, but you will likely see where the image was fudged and it will maybe come out wonky

Give me a few minutes I'll see if I can show you what I mean
>>
>>7140719
>Every time you give creative control away to machines or equally retarded committees, you multiply your work tenfold.
I won't deny this. I think it'd be better and easier for OP to just do cross stitches of actual pixel work - there'd be less faffing about with AI bullshit then.

Though if they really wanted to make a realistic bear cross stitch and couldn't easily find anything, I see no problem with using AI.
But I guess I understand the 'don't give an inch' mindset, though obviously I'm more neutral on this myself.
>>
>>7140728 here
I think this is what you are trying to do?

also I don't give a shit about AI for this - cross stitchers are just taking pixel art anyway, I've met people reselling their stuff - so at least this isn't stealing directly from an artist I guess?
>>
>>7140757
that said it's easy to touch these up
>>
>>7140740
Just trace over a real photo put though a mosaic filter. It's baby easy and much more intelligible than aishit.

A real bear photo with a filter also wont have senseless patches of shit thrown all over the image which is what OP is struggling with to begin with.
>>
Thanks for all the feedback. I get the anger behind AI but this guy >>7140689 gets it - I'm not trying to make art, I'm trying to make cross-stitch patterns for what I want to make.
>>7140407
Thanks for this. It never even occurred to me there might be programs out there specifically for this purpose. I did some research and managed to find one called Floss Cross which is pretty amazing - handles transparency, converts to any given size on the fly, toggles for pixel art, and specifically uses DMC thread colours only.
>>
>>7140163
>using AI as a base
Out of all the things with AI, pixel art is the worst thing you could make with it.
>>
>>7142686
What an interesting way to be retarded.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.