[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hey, just quickly wanted to ask if anyone knows How artgerm does his backgrounds? It seems like some aren't drawn, especially the one in Pic related. Like in Pic related case, is it just a screenshot from the game that he photobashed? Just need some confirmation, thanks guys.
>>
>>7147131
Definitely a screen shot with blur. Look at the stone work on the ground. It's clearly a flat texture. The awkward poses of the NPCs in the background, etc
>>
Honestly would have preferred if he had just went for the white void. Shit like this always looks awkward. These types of pin ups don't need backgrounds, honestly, it distracts from the girl.
>>
>>7147146
You should leave. /ic/ considers white voids to be the worst sin possible for an artist after hand hiding. Everybody should be making jazz hands at all times.
>>
>>7147146
A white flat background wouldn't match artgerm style.
>>
>>7147164
correct, idk what this guy is talking about. Also you're never gonna please everyone, some people actually don't mind this look because it gets the job done. The focus is the girl anyway.
>>
>>7147131
>>7147146
Waiy until you see Genzoman
>>
>>7147175
That's his old work right?
>>
>>7147151
I know the meme, but it's a shitbrained attitude to have.
Different kinds of art serves different purposes and requires different ingredients. Yeah if you have the ability to draw a GOOD LOOKING background that compliments the character, go ahead. My point is that this photobashed half baked couldn't even be bothered style of background is actively distracting because it stands so at odds with the rest of the image. It doesn't mesh, the degree of blur is excessive, and in the artgerm example, the extra effects like the grain aren't even consistent across the image. Tifa looks like literally pasted onto a shitty photo.

It would have looked better with a white background and maybe the closest dove to create distance and create energy. Nothing more.

If you're going to put a background on a pin up, it had better be a good fucking background. This "eh, toss whatever" mentality does nothing for the picture, it actively takes away from it.
See:
>>7147175
The girl is lost in that fucking mess. Botched contrast, artifacting everywhere, abnormally sharp edges (like the sails of the boat,) the ugly ass tangent with the tower and the clouds, the list goes on.

I get that /ic/ grind bros want to encourage begs to be ambitious and make full scenes. I'm saying that this style of art doesn't need it, and if you're going to include it, you better not half ass it like stuttering stanely and generic genzo did here.
I will die on this fucking hill.
>>
>>7147195
So even if we pretend that your opinion holds water, which it could cause art is subjective, Why are both Genzoman and artgerm successful despite them having some artworks with BG's that are "photobashed & half baked"
>>
>>7147230
NTA but it's because they pushed for it and people got used to it.
>>
>>7147243
That and despite it, they are still good at rendering the people they draw. Art Germs traditional work he posts have the plain white back grounds and look just as good. Its a little cheat vs cheating the whole piece.

Besides. Manga artist litterally take photos of japan to put in their manga after editing.
>>
>>7147230
Success is not equivalent to quality.
Why is Fifty Shades of Grey so successful if writing shitty fan fiction is so bad? Clearly shitty fan fiction is the way forward.
I get that you want to defend your heroes, but no one is above criticism. Photobashing backgrounds into an otherwise good drawing is like smearing chromatic aberration filters all over a game: even if the underlining idea is great, even if the drawing is good, the very presence of the filter lessens the impact of everything.

https://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=list&tags=murata_range&pid=252

Look at this for instance. He does both white void and backgrounds in pin ups. When he does backgrounds, he makes an effort to integrate everything, even when working from photos and reference. He unifies the background with the characters, has them interacting with it some way. In those cases where it's not necessary (when he wants the focus entirely on the girl,) he omits backgrounds entirely or simply puts in a basic prop.

It is not necessary or even desirable to always have a background. It's even less desirable to choose the half in half out approach where you lazily stitch some blurred photograph into the background for "atmosphere." All it is is an expression of laziness and insecurity. Commit to the background fully and put an equal amount of time into it, or leave it out entirely.
>>
>>7147254
Has nothing to do with me wanting to "defend my heroes" dude, and I'm quite aware that no one is above criticism. But what I'm asking is, what makes them so successful if it isn't the shitty backgrounds? To me it's the Character art and rendering that got him success

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.