[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1686826238615848.jpg (157 KB, 422x632)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>Teeth blackening or teeth lacquering is a custom of dyeing one's teeth black. It was most predominantly practiced in Southeast Asian and Oceanic cultures, particularly among Austronesian, Austroasiatic, and Kra–Dai-speaking peoples. It was also practiced in Japan prior to the Meiji era, as well as in India.[1][2] It was also performed among some groups in the Americas, most notably among the Shuar people of northern Peru and Ecuador.[3]
The practice survives in some isolated ethnic groups in Southeast Asia and Oceania but has mostly disappeared after the introduction of Western beauty standards during the colonial era.[1][2][3]
So whitey says "this is ugly" and everyone kneels
>>
maybe because it is objectively true
caries is black
whats attractive about making your whole mouth look diseased?
>>
File: 1697971118978796.jpg (132 KB, 800x1195)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>All are very careful of their teeth, which from a very early age they file and render even, with stones and iron. They dye them a black color, which is lasting, and which preserves their teeth until they are very old, although it is ugly to look at.
>>
File: EE_hu7TUUAE2byU.jpg (39 KB, 680x510)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
You called my name sweetie?
>>
>>196484116
Honestly think the eyebrow thing is worse than black teeth, at least with a closed mouth you can't see it
>>
>>196484116
Imagine the contrast of cum against her teeth
>>
>>196483988
swedes must have some fucked up oral hygiene if you're getting caries so big they black out entire teeth
>>
>>196484167
Don't call me ugly David-sama~.
>>
In the book Shogūn, one character mused that this was done because some decrepit old ruler a long time ago had rotted out funky black teeth and decrees it was beautiful and everyone must do it
>>
File: Mizukiss2.gif (23 KB, 131x130)
23 KB
23 KB GIF
>>196484355
Reminds me of Mizuki Rashoujin
>>
File: alisa mizuki.png (534 KB, 421x532)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
>>196484355
You are not taking my Daivid-sama you little bitch!
>>
>>196484462
I vaguely remember reading it's something to do with white teeth being considered like exposed bone, raw and animalistic. A kind of nakedness that a dignified, civilized person needed to cover.
>>
>>196483988
from my understanding, they were doing it to make themselves look less beautiful. iirc they were married women.
>>
>>196483937
Go ahead and do it poojeesh, it'll hide the flecks of cow shit in your teeth.
>>
>>196484693
that makes sense
>>
>>196483937
Mayans apparently also dyed their teeth black sometimes. We should bring this back as a society. The new Dune movie shows we all think this is cool.
>>
probably my great grandma or great great grandma was doing it.
>>
>>196483937
they want to be english so bad lmao
>>
>>196484462
That's a retarded general trope about the past peddled all the time. Like balding and wigs. Wrong in all cases. They unironically just thought it looked good. And it was a very well established practice too. Only reason it stopped is because it was banned and stamped out.
>>
>>196483937
I think I read one time that the perception was that your teeth decaying and yellowing slowly over time was unsightly. But it was also inevitable so you may as well just blacken them and cut out the middle man. So it's equal parts western beauty standards and modern dentistry that drove it out of popularity.
>>
>>196484577
God damn everyone must have been sweating like pigs in the Heian period. Like I've been told the summers are pretty brutal in Japan. Looks kinda cozy for winter but silk isn't exactly breathable.
>>
Japan is SEA origin
>>
File: CJ9NRRUUAAA0DaI.jpg (56 KB, 640x852)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>196487629
Not really. Those piles of clothing were worn during cold seasons not for all year around. Hottest day easy clothing be like this. This translucent thing also appear in the famous tale of Genji.
>>
>>196484528
These bin-sogi style hair prevailed pretty long from late classic era to late medieval era.
>>
It is only in mid 1600s when girls started making bun style hair.
>>
>>196485592
i wanna wear a white powdered wig

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.