[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/jp/ - Otaku Culture

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • [sjis] tags are available. Install the Mona font to view SJIS art properly.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Bitchen.png (871 KB, 1200x1723)
871 KB
871 KB PNG
>Spends 10 plus years getting shilled by ZUN as one of the most important characters in Touhou history
>Gets her arm back, bn ending her storyline
>"Someone has to lecture reimu"
>Proceeds to show up one (1) time in an alternative ending over the past 4 years and mentioned in like one guide
Name a bigger fraud.
>>
File: 1711652873549713.png (46 KB, 500x500)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
who are you quoting?
>>
who quot
>>
just because no one shit on you for incorrectly using the quote function in the last awful thread doesn't mean it's suddenly only
also just because she isn't pictured coming to the shrine anymore doesn't mean she's not still doing it, it's just off screen
>>
>>46633998
>>46634001
>>46634010
Um, sweety, i literally quote Kasen in the greentext see? Idiot
>>
>>46634076
source for your other three quotations? nowhere in the manga does Kasen say
>>Spends 10 plus years getting shilled by ZUN as one of the most important characters in Touhou history
>>Gets her arm back, bn ending her storyline
>>Proceeds to show up one (1) time in an alternative ending over the past 4 years and mentioned in like one guide
>>
>>46634124
I was quoting myself, idiot.
>>
>>46634210
Why are you quoting yourself?
Are you retarted or something?
>>
>>46634216
Because i'm a very important person, so i deserve to be quoted fool.
>>
>>46634216
i think he is a retarded but we need a medical report to be sure
>>
File: 200px-Th18Misumaru.png (85 KB, 200x402)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>46633992
ENTER
>>
>>46633998
>>46634001
>>46634010
>>46634124
>>46634216
>>46634227
Shit meme, kill yourself
>>
>>46634241
You have no rate to say that creating the uptenth Kasen bait thread in a row.
>>
>>46634241
>meme
its called culture
>>
>>46634229
She looks like a granny who can never be allowed to speak because she would actually progress the lore and explain things.
>>
>>46633992
Stop misusing the quoting function, kudasai.
>>
>>46634241
/v/ermincore reply
>>
>>46634296
Well, there's always CDS...
>>
File: kasenss3.png (443 KB, 658x726)
443 KB
443 KB PNG
And this is to go even further beyond!
>>
>>46634442
CDS is funny because it just invented a big twist that was never even hinted towards instead of leaning into the existing stuff and we'll probably end up blue balled anyway.
>>
Why is the wild and horny hermit like this?
>>
>>46634511
Because she's going even further beyond! >>46634474
You'll see what lies further beyond soon enough.
>>
>>
>>46633992
4 years is not that long in a franchise like this which has been running for so long with so many characters. There are many other 'major' characters who do much worse.
>>
>>46633992
Let's be frank. if Kasen ever appeared again it would be to get the dead mentor treatment. Do you really want that?
>>
>>46635325
Yeah but Kasen was pushed in so much for so long and was so integral to pretty much all the major characters that’s it’s weird she just straight up stopped existing
Even ZUN says he has no idea what to do with her. Like she’s literally a sage but she’s appeared less than both Okina and Yukari and they’re supposed to background schemers.
>>
>>46637720
It took 20 years for Reimu's joke about the Animal Realm in PCB, when she meets Ran, to be paid off in UDoaLG.
And 21~ years for Hifuu, Yukari Merry stuff.
After SSiB and CiLR Tewi had almost nothing until appearing again in LoLK, just to confirm that, yes, she is secretly plotting against the ass hats she has every reason to hate.
4 Years is nothing in Touhou time.
>>
>>46636053
ZUN ain’t gonna kill off a character lol.

Thay would imply breaking status quo and he’d burn down this site with no survivors before he let that happen
>>
>>46633992
Straight man comedy routine is the worst thing to come out of japan
>>
>>46637745
I mean, again, all of those were either background characters doing things on their own terms, or lore ZUN randomly decided he should expand upon.
Ran/Tewi weren’t main characters hard pushed for a decade as super important to Reimu and Marisa to only be barely brought up after their manga ended.
>>
>>46633992
I'm confused, who are you quoting!
>>
Realistic depiction of what would happen if Kasen re-fused.
>>
>>46645948
A re-fused Kasen would be pretty cool, accepting her oni nature instead of rejecting it and happily learning that her hermit training was worth a damn in paradoxically tempering her malice through embracing it.
Would be pretty cool for her to witness someone far more evil than she could ever be, making all of her committed sins seem like acts of mercy by comparison could give her a very interesting way to look at herself.
>>
>>46646544
The joke is, nobody would really care as long as she doesn't go around indiscriminately killing people.
Although the arm and Kasen reuniting would Kasen to be less embarrassed with her past, and the arm to be less of an edgelord.
Which would probably require something for them to be mutually mad over, but I think the problem ZUN has with that, is that's there's only really one obvious choice for that inciting incident.
Yoshika, which would result in a dead Yoshika and Seiga, and he's not one to kill off named characters like that.
>>
File: IMG_0912.jpg (237 KB, 850x1202)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>46645948
>>46646544
>>46648254
Having Kasen actually come to terms with/beating her evil self and accepting that she can be an oni but still be a better person on the way to redemption is way better than her just shoving the arm back in a box and still not taking responsibility for her actions.
I think even ZUN realized he wrote himself into a corner and now he doesn’t even know what to do with Kasen.
>>
File: 1682166359201.jpg (341 KB, 1444x2048)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>46645948
she's literally the only version of Kasen who's NOT supposed to have an ahoge...
>>
File: IMG_1085.jpg (2.08 MB, 1230x1773)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>46650264
Damn shame she’s a literal child raping and murdering worthy of the fiery pits of hell… cause she is cute.
>>
>>46633992
>Name a bigger fraud.
Keisuke Itagaki. Anyway yeah get use to being disappointed by that drooling retard drunk. >>46634241
>Agreed
>>
>>46650703
I was literally like “what fuckin Touhou character is that” and it’s some dude who made a gay martial arts manga.
>>
>>46650846
He's a secondary who's defending a baiter, of course he doesn't even know what a Touhou is.
>>
>>46651487
Otaku board
>>
>>46651509
Japan is Touhou idiot, everything else is fake news
>>
>>46650703
I’m out of the loop… so why is that specific guy a fraud?
>>
>>46650240
I always imagined that the two, Kasen and her arm, had grown so much apart over the years, and that part of becoming the same person again would involve them finding some common ground.
Which is why I brought up Yoshika, as she's the only person both could be said to care about. Given that mythologically Yoshika was her friend, I would say that in Touhou this is also a myth with no basis in Touhou's world, but Kasen starts out WaHH by reciting the poem that the two wrote together in myth.
Then you'd have someone like Reimu point out each of their hypocrisies, only for fully re-merge and still choose violence, because they'd be justifiably mad about their best friend being turned into Seiga's pet zombie.
>>
>>46634278
*cancer culture
>>
>>46655712
I really don't get why ZUN didn't commit to just allowing Kasen to become whole again, it feels like that was what the whole series was leading towards and it would've given a whole new direction to Kasens and Reimu's relationship... what was the point of over 10 years ofg buildup for a total nothingburger.
>>
>>46659093
Don't worry, this is why Doujin's exist.
t. ZUN
>>
>>46659093
That would require forethought, effort, and a willingness to commit to narrative arcs and seeing them through instead of just endlessly teasing things and then not doing anything with it.
It's honestly amazing that the fairy manga ended as well as they did.

At least Kasen is better off than Miyoi, I guess, who became utterly irrelevant before her manga even ended.
>>
File: EaLND_Fairy_of_the_Moon.png (202 KB, 1174x586)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>46662352
Anon...
>>
File: chestnut mouth.png (158 KB, 314x459)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>46662360
yeah that's all well and good but at the end of the day her mouth is still shaped like a chestnut
>>
>>46662352
>That would require forethought, effort, and a willingness to commit to narrative arcs and seeing them through instead of just endlessly teasing things and then not doing anything with it.
I love how this is the most basic form of writing but he's just outright incapable of doing it. Makes it more painful that he basically never hires writers who would actually do this and more for him.
>>
File: IMG_0993.jpg (48 KB, 475x437)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>46659093
>>46662352
>>46665640
I’m pretty sure he doesn’t really care, he just makes these story up as he goes along.

“I Wanna make a story about a cool hermit who’s actually a famous youkai… ok now I’m bored. Oh I wanna make a story about how there’s a secret lunar empire on the moon with these two princesses who could solo all of Gensokyo, how fun… nah I’ll mention them like two times after. Ah shit… what if there’s like… 2 Yukaris… but this ones can make doors… which are like gaps… but… yeah just 2 yukaris.”
>>
>>46667050
...and the fandom will keep on endlessly debating, making things very active and lively for the foreseeable future!
>>
>>46667050
>2 yukaris
kasen can make gates which are basically gaps too, it's just that she only does it in the floatans and like twice in the whole of WaHH so no one remembers that she can
being able to make portals wherever you want is a sage trait
>>
>>46667069
Kasen is also basically Reimus mom just like Yukari… and a Sage like Yukari… and a super strong Oni like Suika and Yuugi… and an annoying buzzkill like Eiki… and a bitchy hermit like Seiga.

I kinda get why he has trouble writing her, she’s a bit redundant.
>>
>>46667099
I'd argue there's a lot of redundant characters in Touhou, Tewi, Suwako, and Larva all have a bunch of overlap, but I feels like they're differentiated enough where they all have room to breath.
Just because a character's similar, doesn't mean they're irrelevant or nothing can be done with them, Kasen, Okina, and Yukari all have different back stories, plot hooks, and lore they can draw upon.
Also Seiga and Kasen are comepltly different types of Hermits, for one things Seiga is proudly wicked and not that much of a bitch, she's kinda casual in her manner of speaking and a bitch only in that's she pure evil.
While Kasen is more of a do-gooding hypocrite type.
>>
>>46671000
I mean Okina and Yukari do kinda overlap enough to be really redundant, and Yukaris backstory is actually interesting unlike Okina.
I just think Kasen has way too much going on to a point of too much overlap. She’s a hermit better than Miko, an oni strong enough to take on Reimu in a 1v1 fight, a sage equal to the two most powerful Youkai/Gods, a schemer better than Mamizou, morally superior to pretty much everyone like Eiki, and Reimu mom figure like Yukari but with none of the dubious intentions. And then after her manga she just up and disappears despite her importance.
>>
>>46673135
I'll agree that Kasen is a bit too clean, especially for ZUN's style of writing.
But other than selectively keeping secrets and the gambit at the end of WaHH, KAsen doesn't do much scheming and is regularly shown to be inexperienced or un-knowledgeable, and while she is strong, there are lots of strong characters and I don't like ruling people out based solely on power level discussions.
Okina is also a new 2hu with entirely different backstory hooks related more to japanese mythology than Yukari and her future shit with Merry and Renko. So I think that's more up to taste, but I like both.
>>
>>46662360
Yes, that's a good example of a plot point that was completely ignored afterwards.
It's quite telling how good the fairy manga are that even with that and Larva's arc being dropped it's still the manga with the most satisfying conclusion and sense of accomplishment.
It's probably the only manga that fully plays to ZUN's strengths and allows him to just mess around without having to worry about the status quo (and where it really should be affected by change) or ongoing characterization and development.

They even manage to remain somewhat relevant, with the boss fairies showing up in 18.5 and it being said that Larva started to hang out with the Three Fairies of Light regularly.
>>
File: IMG_1109.jpg (841 KB, 1076x1540)
841 KB
841 KB JPG
>>46673417
When it comes to scheming I was mostly referring for the chapter of WaHH where she outright outplays Mamizou at her own game which is something no other Touhou has managed to do. That plus how instrumental she was in the fighting games plot show she’s one of the smartest characters in Touhou while also being one of the strongest and most liked and important characters in Gensokyo for so long the fact that after her manga she seems like an afterthought it’s such whiplash.
Also Okina just feels like Yukari without all the interesting backstory or even depth. Yukari showed emotion over Yukon’s death, had a subtle but intense reaction to Kasen betraying her, and her backstory is probably the most compelling story in Touhou if the obvious reveal happens. Okina just the mustache twirling mean bitch that just evil for evils sake but not in a fun way.
>>
Who was OP quoting?
>>
>>46675047
I'm going to be honest, I like Okina, she's funny and a schemer type, I'm very biased.
But I don't really have a problem with her outplaying Mamizou, Mamizou wins too much as is and Kasen jobs to cute bunnies.
But yeah, I agree she's too clean, but there's 100% stories to tell with her.
But those stories aren't ZUN's strong suit.
>>
>>46675047
Okina comes off as more of a troll than absolutely evil, though I wouldn't rule it out. Gods in Touhou are haughty by default and I doubt its a coincidence that ZUN has used gods as final bosses so many times. The only apparently evil thing Okina does is brainwashing her child slaves. Even Yukari pointed out that they're stuck in the boundary between human and youkai.
It might be interesting if Okina ends up turning against a more human-aligned Yukari in Touhou 20. It seems unlikely that she would actually fuck with Gensokyo but who knows. I think there are still more sages we have yet to see.
>>
File: 1714012116646.jpg (194 KB, 1181x1748)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>46673135
>She’s a hermit better than Miko
[citation needeed]
>>
>>46673554
Personally, I thought even if it has loose ends, SSiB and CiLR were nice.
I don't think everything needs to be explained or investigated, only what's relevant to the story and our protagonists.
But I agree that ZUN's care free story telling and the nature of Gensokyo's status quo makes the setting feel shallower than it is.
Something more proper would probably be able to explore an angle or someone's personal story better, Kasen really suffers from this as ZUN tried to do something more typical with her but it didn't really work out.
Although personally, I'd think a more typical heroes adventure type story could work with the fairies, without having to change too much immediately about their personality.
An incident like the four seasons, or some natural phenomenon would probably work good as an inciting incident with the fairies being underestimated underdogs who manage to grow and solve the mystery due to their position.
>>
File: 1682470536267413.png (377 KB, 500x500)
377 KB
377 KB PNG
I should REALLY get around to read the mangas and form my own opinions instead of basing my fondness of the characters out of discussions on jp.
But Im sooooo lazy...
>>
>>46675252
>Okina comes off as more of a troll than absolutely evil
Im think its funny how Okina and Yukari are portrayed as cartoonishly evil villains when thats not the case, there are very few actually evil characters in TH, but those 2 ain it, they are more like selfish jerks, like the rest of the characters.
>a more human-aligned Yukari
What do you mean?
>>
File: IMG_1110.jpg (3.43 MB, 1290x1815)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>46676064
Miko herself not only deeply respects and admires Kasen, she literally states she has a power far beyond.
>>
File: IMG_1111.jpg (1.11 MB, 1290x1848)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>46676551
I mean… Yukari can be goofy, but she is legitimately evil. Outright sinister at times same with Okina, they revel in their positions and delight it the control they have over people. So do most Touhou honestly, like I’d go as far to say the number of actually kind and decent Touhou characters stretched to like… 4.
>>
>>46676605
I know that, I just mean that Yukari and Okina are sages, and so their objective is to keep the server running to keep everyone alive, people portray them as evil for the sake of evil.
>they revel in their positions and delight it the control they have over people. So do most Touhou honestly
Youre exagerating, there are a lot of selfish jerks, but Okina and Yukari are a special breed, the only ones that get near her are the animal realm gang and Seiga, the rest of dubious characters are just selfish and to their own thing, like Miko, Byakuren or Kanako, but they dont reach into Okina/Yukari/Yacchie/Yuuma territory.
>>
File: IMG_1112.jpg (2.5 MB, 1290x1382)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>>46676631
Milo absolutely delights in the control she has over people, Byakuren brags about having her subjects do her work for her, and Kanako lets the kappa create a shitty ropeway all for the purpose of extra maintenance payments. They are all malicious at best, downright scummy con artists at worst.
>>
Kasen really feels like one of those "I wanted to do something else but it turned into Touhou anyway" things Zun has spoken about
>>
>>46676733
>Milo absolutely delights in the control she has over people
I'm going to assume you mean Miko, and while there is certainly a element of that she is the only one to not believe it should be enforced upon others. She's the only one who respects individuals. Which is what puts her above Byakuren and Kanako, at least in my opinion.
>>
>>46676555
That's in all likelihood not a hermit power. It's just something Kasen does for some reason that's never properly explained.
Can't really imagine it as an oni power either, personally, so it's just kind of there because ZUN wanted a character who communes with animals without worrying too much about the details and if it made sense, which goes for a lot of things involving Kasen.
>>
>>46677561
Suika can do density control which isnt dependant on being an oni so Kasen communing is probably just an innate ability.
>>
File: 1710246771008575.jpg (625 KB, 2048x1536)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
>>46676733
I think calling Kanako and Byakuren scummy con artists is a bit silly, especially because they sell an actual product that works.
The ropeway thing is just oart of youkai politics, and being kind of lazy isn't that bad, it's just kind of shitty.
>>
File: Ripoff.jpg (364 KB, 853x918)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>46677044
She doesn't believe it should be enforced on others, yet she totally will take all the followers money if given the chance and absolutely wants total power of religion over the human village. I think you're buying the propaganda too hard.

>I think calling Kanako and Byakuren scummy con artists is a bit silly, especially because they sell an actual product that works.
I mean Byakuren and friends literally depicted a youkai as a statue of Buddha, not only being massively blaspemous, but doing it to get money for the temple and letting other people sell shit at the temple for the holiday. Theres also an entire chapter in Forbidden Scrollery about how the Myouren is selling people charms to fend of serpents when they could just do it themselves for free.
>>
>>46679090
>absolutely wants total power of religion over the human village
Which is why she doesn't make a grab for it, easily gives up the notion in SoPM and sets her standards for supplicants so high that few people ever qualify. Yep, she totally craves that power over everyone. Can't stand keeping to herself in her temple.
>>
Oh, it's this thread again.
>>
>>46679105
Her playing the long game and not being an overzealous idiot like some of the other touhou characters doesn't mean she doesn't have clear intentions for power and control. Even her dream self craves the destruction of all she deems unfit (including her intense hatred of poor people) and laments her true intentions for what she would do to Gensokyo if she wasn't held back.
>>
>>46679235
>dream self
You idiot. You can't bring those up like they're a meaningful argument in a discussion about the characters' canon personalities. Byakuren's dream self's behaviour is nothing like her normal one. It's grossly exaggerated, blown out of proportion and totally inapplica-

Oh! You're talking about Miko's dream self! Then it is exactly, 100% representative of Miko's character, no separation. Carry on!
>>
File: IMG_1113.jpg (1008 KB, 1146x1133)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
>>46679266
Byakuren dream self is literally how she really is in private, so much that Lotus Eaters shows her LITERALLY doing it and Aya even comments on it. Marisa’s dream self is just her inner thoughts on her being 2bd fiddle to Reimu, which again… we know is true. Same with Mamizou.

Miko’s dream self is just her true ambitions revealed, what she really desires nothing held back.
>>
>>46679983
Show me where Byakuren puts a bomb into someone'a head.
>>
>>46671000
>Tewi, Suwako, and Larva all have a bunch of overlap
Do they really? Other than being lolibabas, what do they really have in common?
Tewi is a scam artist notorious for getting in over her head and getting screwed over in the process, as per the Hare of Inaba story.
Suwako is an ancient god living her best life in Gensokyo.
And Larva disgraced god reduced to being a fairy, has no knowledge of her own history, and possesses only a fraction of her former power.

Their concepts are all really different from each other, and I wouldn't really say there is any overlap between their roles as characters.
>>
File: IMG_1115.jpg (1.61 MB, 2282x1180)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>46679995
Buddy even the dream self said that was a joke, but she wished she could kill someone if they displeased her.
Which seeing how Kogasa mentions she’s got “assassins”…
>>
>>46680111
All of them are mysterious lolibabas, Suwako and Eternity are both nature type gods, with Suwako kind of being a fairy-esq god and Eternity being a god-es fairy.
Suwako and Tewi are both powerful trickster schemers who have a somewhat notable but not often talked about male companion in their past.
Both Tewi and Suwako hang around a younger underling who're a Granny towards and have a working relationship with hag type who's notable for doing a lot of work when compared to their lolibaba companion, or at least more work in the open. Eternity doesn't have a hag, but she does have literally all the the fairies and Piece who are somewhat close to being her underling types.
Tewi and Eternity both also have mysterious pasts with some safe assumptions being made of them like Tewi being the Hare of Inaba and Eternity being a former god, despite neither being explicitly spelled out.
Tewi might also be a god, given in both Buddhism and Shintoism the Hare is a god of sorts, giving her even more overlap with the other two.
Albiet, Eternity is more concerned about Okina, Tewi with the Lunarians, and Suwako with I'm not exactly sure, probably just general shrine business.
So we have three trickster god types who are lolibabas, all of which are mysterious, and two of which are nature types.
>>
>>46679983
That was a joke, Anon. We've got Byakuren fans getting uppity just like that whenever dream selves are brought up.
>Miko’s dream self is just her true ambitions revealed, what she really desires nothing held back.
And that's the real difference between the two, isn't it? Miko holds back what is inappropriate or harmful. Byakuren follows her own whims and desires uncritically, which is normal behaviour for a youkai.
>>
File: dreamer.png (19 KB, 1201x173)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>46679105
>Yep, she totally craves that power over everyone.
Yes.
>>
>>46680546
You forget your pic.
Reality is literally the same thing as a lucid dream to Byakuren.
>>
File: IMG_1020.jpg (1.82 MB, 1134x1762)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>46680587
Like I said, dudes falling for the propaganda. Every single leader in Gensokyo is shady at best, next of kin to Tokugawa at worst. Not a word said by any of them is true, and they’d absolutely burn their objects in hellfire if it meant serving their goals.
>>
>>46680833
Name one shady thing that Miko did.
>>
>>46680838
>>
File: file.png (75 KB, 720x871)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>46680838
telling your maskdaughter that she's going to die unless she tries to beat the shit out of you (as a pretense so you can beat the shit out of her) and never explaining anything was pretty shady
>>
File: IMG_0850.png (879 KB, 745x432)
879 KB
879 KB PNG
>>46680838
Literally admits to using people for personal gain
>>46676733
Also siding with a self admitted evil hermit as her teacher, spreading a religion she didn’t believe in across Japan for power while secretly practicing another one to give herself immortality, letting her subject be a guinea pig for said immortality in case it didn’t work and so on. She’s not a very nice person, not super evil, but clearly unhinged.
>>
File: 1687729697121595.jpg (23 KB, 720x81)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>46680886
Anon...
>>
File: file.png (10 KB, 755x125)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>46681022
I was forced to cut out the first line
miko's other line tells you that she's 100% cool with the idea though
>>
>>46680886
>maskdaughter
That's a youkai.
>>
>>46680861
Not Miko.
>>46680886
Investigating a potentially disastrous phenomenon at the cost of a virtually indestructible youkai's minute of distress? Sounds virtuous to me.
>>46680889
>Literally admits to using people for personal gain
As opposed to hiding it, like Byakuren does?
>spreading a religion she didn’t believe in across Japan
Keep in mind the historical context. The spread of Buddhism, as opposed to Taoism, across Japan was healthier for the populace in long term. It also prevented continued military conflict. Prince Shotoku was a national hero.
>>
>>46681042
>Not Miko.
Miko is still an accomplice to her crimes, Seiga is also literally Miko's master.

>>46680886
Youkai aren't people, if anything trying to help Kokoro at all reflects badly on Miko.
They're inhumane minsters without a shred of empathy or remorse who'd happily genocide the entire human race if they could get away with it.
Kokoro is no different, but even if she was she'd be just like Cirno, the Aki sisters, or the Moriya shrine.
An accomplice and beneficiary to Gensokyo that abuses it's population.
>>
File: IMG_0902.jpg (46 KB, 667x1000)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>46681042
Byakuren is a shit too.
>The spread of Buddhism, as opposed to Taoism, across Japan was healthier for the populace in long term.
Was it though?
>>
>>46681175
Youkai are people. People who gave up their humanity for short-term power.
>>
>>46679266
The Japanese say you have three faces...
>>
>>46681175
Cirno at least has proper grievances with the Human Village's treatment of fairies, even if it's due to things that she mutually agrees with them are negative facets of fairykind.
>>
File: cirnokillskids.png (19 KB, 855x116)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>46681913
Wrong, Youkai are born, like Aunn or Narumi, or any of the item youkai.
All of them are ontologically evil demons who prey upon humans and deserve death.
>>46681929
That's no reason to freeze children to death.
>>
>>46646544
Unfortunately, this will never happen. Much like how a tranny is too mentally ill/retarded to accept their true gender, Kasen is too mentally ill/retarded to accept her true self.
>>
>>46682064
>ontologically evil
Oh it's you, here we go again...
>>
>>46682064
There is when they're jaundy children trying to kill you.
>>
>>46682064
I mean as the Youkai are, they at least have the excuse that they were just made that way and are scolded and die if they aren’t massive assholes.
The real evil is the gods, they pretend to care about humanity but allow the evil to go on and even indulge in the suffering of people when they could be kind and caring and still gain followers. Hell, the Lunar Gods are probably responsible for Youkais entire existence. Not even getting into Celestials and Heavens whole ordeal. The Gods canonically screwed way more people over than any youkai.
>>
>>46682064
Gods are haughty but most of them are symbiotically beneficial. Humans give them faith, and in return they provide services to humans, like Okina warding off Tengu or Keiki fighting off animal spirits.
Youkai are a bit more fuzzy. Gensokyo simplifies it at times, but in reality its a spectrum where some youkai are beneficial while others are solely malicious. Youkai in Gensokyo usually fall in the middle. Its not a bloodbath but it isn't a happy go lucky resort either. Walking in the forest at night with proper caution and anti-Youkai charms/objects can't be any more dangerous than walking around San Francisco at night. They do happen to survive off of fear, but I wonder then if they could survive off of faith (Like some weird half youkai half god). That's probably how it is already in all honestly.
>>
File: 1714090843759596.png (390 KB, 692x904)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>46682064
She's talking about her own kind. If Cirno is wrong for wanting to freeze fairies who have tried to kill her over a joke, the village is likewise wrong for the same reasons.
>>
>>46633998
you
>>
>>46682064
>That's no reason to freeze children to death.
There is, though. They're filthy and annoying. Cirno knows what she's doing, trust me.
>>
File: 1712509362139103.png (83 KB, 540x405)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
Kasen threads should be insta deleated whenever they appear, they always end up like this, always.
>>
>>46682064
>That's no reason to freeze children to death.
> cirnokillskids.png
Thou mayhaps have failed to noticed "[2]" anon.
Said blue sigil shall redirect thee to a fabulous note explaining the playful reference of Cirno.
A famous idiom in this land of Gensokyo which both Miss Marisa and Miss Reimu hath referred before.
If not I shall admire thy fishing skills for you seem to hath gotten a bountiful catch.
>>
File: IMG_1025.png (757 KB, 983x1440)
757 KB
757 KB PNG
>>46682224
Most services for humanity come at a fee like you said, and a lot of gods still screw over their followers or outright despise them. And the only reason the Gods even seem to be nice is because they’re so attached to humanity. If they weren’t they’d be a lot more malicious for no reason
Again, look at the Lunar Gods who are completely detached from Earth, they literally get off on the total annihilation of humanity.
>>
>>46682306
I dont understand what she has that attracts the most clueless retards that do not know a thing about this series.
>>
>>46682486
reddit tertiaries that just discovered 2hu through their favorite vtumor cumwhore.
>>
>>46682319
Yeah but that's less because they're gods and more because they're tribalist pricks in general. They love their fellow Lunarians, whether or not they're of technically human stock.
>>
>>46682577
Who cares, gods are just tribalist Youkai and deserve death like they do, their just parasites taking advantage of humanity.
Even 'nice' ones like the Aki sisters are taking advantage of the plight on the human villagers for their own gain.

>>46682486
Secondary Cutesokyo fags that come from shitty youtubers who in turn come here to get assblasted by canon/grim-sokyo fags.
>>
>>46682064
>>46682315
For real now, was the Cirno thing meant to be taken seriously?
>>
>>46682827
No it's obvious boasting, but grimsokyo fags are going to run with it because they claim they know everything better than anyone all the time.
>>
>>46682845
I meant if the post was bait, not the talk itself, Cirno is just referencing that thing with silencing crying children that ZUN seems to like.
>>
>>46682860
No this isn't bait, this guy is an autistic grimsokyo fag who goes in pretty much every thread that has a tiny bit of relevancy to spout his shit. If you see
>ontologically
>any reference to a system
>gods being innately evil
It's him, I'd list more but it could also be seen as general grimsokyo ramblings, so it's less specific.
>>
>>46682881
I mean, Gods being assholes and youkai being born evil shitheads is totally within canon, but Gensokyo is less a Mongolian rape town and more like a shitty fantasy theme park run by the scam artists that make the dogshit tosser games with bootleg scooby doos as prizes.
>>
>>46682910
There's no reasoning with him, he's just another cutesokyo partisan that refuses the acknowledge the canonicity of Grimsokyo and use ad hominem to try to de-credit Grimsokyo.
At it's core Touhou is about a system of abuse and corruption where humans exists at the bottom and are used as resources, most clearly shown in somewhere like the animal realm.
>>
See what I mean? This thread's lost, sorry Kasenbros.
>>
>>46682207
Being born evil doesn't make you less evil, if anything it just cements Youkai as ontologically evil subhumans who need to be exterminated for the good of humanity.
Gods are basically just dressed up youkai anyways, and are just as evil, benefiting from the same system of oppression.
The Lunarians are a special case, but yeah they're evil too and need to be exterminated just like any other God or Youkai. Although they're probably worse than your average god.
Fairies are a special case as well since they're just manifestations of nature, but nature is totally immoral and will do horrific stuff all the time under the idea it's just the natural order of things. Even if the fairies are childlike they're still manifestations of nature, not to mention criminals and pranksters who victimize humans just for shits and giggles, with ones the Piece and Star being fond of dangerous and murderous 'pranks.'
>>
>>46682918
>Humans exist at the bottom
Please, at least they get protections for not being eaten if they stand in a special safe-zone. Fairies don't even get that much.
>>
>>46683007
>in a special safe-zone
Not true anymore as of latest CoLA. Human villagers are safe 100% of the time.
>>
>>46682881
I wonder if its the same guy that says Eiki is corrupt and take bribes.
>>
>>46679090
>I think you're buying the propaganda too hard.
Perhaps, but I do unquestionably believe she has the human villagers best interest at heart compared to literally everybody else in Gensokyo.
>>
>>46682715
>>46682881
>>46682910
>>46682918
Grimshit sucks and deserves to be mocked.
Grimfags (aka ZUN) ruined Touhou.
>>
>>46683363
ZUN isn't even a grimfag, he will push either way on a whim. The latest CoLA chapter did the best of both worlds by completely sanctifying ANY treatment of outsiders by fans. He wrote that some youkai think they should be able to do what they want to outsiders, but some think they shouldn't mess with them all all. He didn't name any names, which means any story can now pick any youkai and find a reason to justify either choice.
>>
>>46683374
>which means any story can now pick any youkai and find a reason to justify either choice.
Not really. I get what you are trying to say, but you have to reach VERY far to assume the likes of Mystia wouldn't kill outsiders on sight.
>>
>>46683374
>he will push either way on a whim
Just look at all the printworks, he always pushed grimshit almost exclusively, and the few things that aren't grim are either lies, scams, or inconsequential. There is no balance to it.
>>
>>46683007
Fairies don't die when they are killed and I doubt they care, besides fairies are endemic to everywhere in Gensokyo anyways, they are made from nature after all.

>>46683048
So? Cattle are still raised for their milk, that just means the 'managed' outsiders are the meat products.

>>46683374
That only applies to unmanaged humans, the managed ones are Yukari's meat products from the outside world. Honestly the fact that the youkai don't make any moral arguments and only utilitarian ones supports that they don't care about humans beyond being a source of sustenance and would gladly genocide humanity if they weren't reliant on them.
Touhou is a grim series and it's always been griim, anybody who says otherwise is either disingenuous or dumb.
>>
>>46684165
You do not have the ability to understand this setting, and I would really wish you would stop shitting Kasen and other threads unrelated threads. Please stick to appropriate threads, like the grimsokyo thread that archived a few days ago, or make your own!
>>
>>46684165
>Touhou is a grim series and it's always been griim
No, it started to become grim sometime after BAiJR, and solidified in SoPM. Everything after that is grim garbage.
>>
>>46684165
>and I doubt they care
Cirno cared enough she started a war over the other fairies for almost killing her.
>besides fairies are endemic to everywhere in Gensokyo anyways
And humans outnumber the tengu, yet that shouldn't devalue humanity's rights over theme
>they are made from nature after all
Which humanity is reliant on for Gensokyo's bounties, something Reimu remembers. The moment the river fairies vanished, the water levels dropped and it was threatening the village's crops with drought. The village is willing to cozy up with the zashiki-warashi for helping them, yet they rarely give fairies the same consideration. Only Reimu and Marisa do.
No wonder the Shrine Maiden can barely stand the villagers. The truth is that the Human Village is a community of abusive bullies who take out their frustrations on the only thing that's lower on the food chain than themselves.
>>
>>46683363
>>46683401
>>46683436
>>46684252
>>46684373
>>46684505
Oh fuck off with this shit. Gensokyo is a paradise for youkais, not fucking humans. All of you fuckers whine about being eaten because YOU are at the bottom of the food chain in that realm. It's like you retards enter an animal cage and cry about their taste in foods. Fucking retards with their fucking shallow comprehension.
>>
File: 1686548679509023.jpg (84 KB, 507x589)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>46680587
Oh no! An incredibly experienced, historically proven, benevolent leader who objectively knows the people's desires and wants the best for humanity! Whatever shall we do to thwart such evil?!
>>
>>46685084
This. Literally just get stronger or become a youkai yourself. Not that hard (this isn't sarcasm).
>>
>>46685084
>Fucking retards with their fucking shallow comprehension.
Says the grimshitter.
Touhou has been turned into shallow, boring trash and you know it.
>>
>>46684505
>Cirno cared enough she started a war over the other fairies for almost killing her.
They just blew her up, death is nothing to a fairy she just didn't want her house blown up.
>And humans outnumber the tengu, yet that shouldn't devalue humanity's rights over theme
The fairies aren't exactly oppressed like the human villagers are, for one thing they have freedom of movement.
>Which humanity is reliant on for Gensokyo's bounties, something Reimu remembers. The moment the river fairies vanished, the water levels dropped and it was threatening the village's crops with drought. The village is willing to cozy up with the zashiki-warashi for helping them, yet they rarely give fairies the same consideration. Only Reimu and Marisa do.
>No wonder the Shrine Maiden can barely stand the villagers. The truth is that the Human Village is a community of abusive bullies who take out their frustrations on the only thing that's lower on the food chain than themselves.
Gensokyo has no bounties except for oppression and deceit, the villagers are kept complacent, afraid, and dependent on their oppressors when they would be living a better life in the outside world.
Not to mention the zashiki-warashi are spies who work for Yukari, and the fact dying fairies negatively impacting the ecosystem wouldn't be a problem in the outside world, and you act like there's something wrong with the humans disliking the fairies when Reimu kills them on the regular and nothing bad happens and it's not treated as a bad thing. Not to mention the fairies are immoral, immortal, non-humans who constantly torment and attacking the villagers for no good reason.
Distrusting or killing fairies is just common sense when dealing with pests like them.
>>
>>46685647
>Gensokyo has no bounties except for oppression and deceit
Oh yeah? What about the bounty on Seija?
>>
>>46685647
Calm down Akyuu.
>>
>>46685449
Cutesokyo fags like you don't even like Touhou, go back to read Mamange or maybe Atai to Gensokyo is more your taste?
You spergs are the worst, just shitting up threads with your mindless hate of Touhou and shitting up the board with fanfiction while acting morally superior for having an incorrect view of canon and constantly spitting the stupidest fanon.
>>
>>46685696
As opposed to your zounose wankery?
You grimfags always hated Touhou, wanted to replace it with that drivell. Well, congratulations - for the last 15 yars it has been as shit as you wished it to be.
>>
>>46685833
Touhou has always been grim, even back in pc98 genocide was nothing but a game to yuuka.
>>
Can you imagine there's actually people trying to defend this murderous creature?
>>
>>46650264
The joke is that no one would really care about Ibaraki-Douji, I wasn't claiming the art itself was accurate, although the ahoge is very cute.
>>
>>46685833
>zounose
Aaand you just lost all the credibility you may have had.
>>
>>46685956
even in the cutest of a cutesokyo interpretation, telling aya to go die is 100% justified at all times
>>
>>46685998
You lost it first.
>>46685696
>go back to read Mamange or maybe Atai to Gensokyo is more your taste?
>>
>>46686066
>You lost it first.
Where? I wasn't even posting about grimdark. My only posts are about Miko.
>>
>>46686153
He thinks everyone who disagrees with his cutesokyo shit is the same person.
>>
>>46686153
>>46686163
Even if it wasn't you, my point is clear.
Putting up the worst examples of both sides is a thought terminating cliche, an "I win" button, for which I mocked the grimshiter I was replying to.
>>
>>46686215
Schizo.
>>
>>46686215
I didn't even read the rest of your post. The instant you bring up Zounone in a serious conversation, anything you may yet say automatically becomes worthless. You brought up Zounose. You suffered the consequences.
>>
>>46686327
It was a farce anyway.
>>
>>46685084
I agree. Youkai genocide needs no excuse other than the fact that we can pull it off.
>>
>>46682860
Jeez, just wanted to unironically know if it someone was really just interpreting stuff literally...
>>46684165
>>46685647
>Fairies don't die when they are killed and I doubt they care
>death is nothing to a fairy
idk, they seem pretty wary in the fairy mangas about getting caught and youkai in general.
>>46684373
idk, EoSD was pretty dam grim until ZUN clarified and retconned some stuff and DiPP is also pretty grim, stuff just chilled later and with CoLA and PMiSS stuff got more "it could all just be playing and fooling around", Then around SA iirc stuff started getting a bit more serious, but that's to be expected when you get immigrants from hell and hell adjacent realms.
>>46682946
Gomen, but I thought this was mostly the bait/discussion containment thread with that OP. I don't tend to visit x character threads but my condolences if Kasen threads get worse than Ran threads.
>>
>>46685647
>When Reimu kills them on the regular and nothing bad happens and it's not treated as a bad thing.
Reimu and Marisa are the only ones who don't kill them on a regular basis by virtue of instilling the spell card rules.
>>
>>46685647
A jaundie willing to work with youkai like the villagers is less a person to me than a fairy. Every banana-skinned collaborator a fairy sends back to Yukari peeled is one less enabler for the Yook menace.
>>
File: 1628126410337.png (72 KB, 469x359)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
Any jerksokyo chads over here? Seems like the only position that doesnt get any casualties in the crossfire.
>>
>>46688796
I'm more of a Drunksokyo guy.
>>
File: 1682445484907410.png (130 KB, 300x266)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
Holy shit what is THIS, last time I have seen this war over bullshit was in the 2 last Byakuren threads, this is like the 3rd thread in a row with Kasen in the OP that gets fucked like this, what is it with Byakuren and Kasen that makes everyone go ballisitic? Not even the Ranfags get this heated, they get worse.
I thought we all were in the same page that we liked evil women, but I guess thats Yukarifags/Okinafags only thing.
>>
>>46688856
Byakuren is one of the most flanderized characters in the post-SA era. This means a lot of ignorant fans, illusions being shattered and rationalization. Kasen is the same albeit to a smaller degree. In her case, it's her character development occurring in a print work that proves the biggest filter.
>>
>>46688945
>Byakuren is one of the most flanderized characters in the post-SA era
Why do you say that?
>>
>>46688737
They literally kill fairies by the hundreds in every game.
>>
>>46685160
Love how the goal posting when from “oh she has no desire for power” to “Uh of course she loves power, she’s a politician.
Face it, she sucks
>>
>>46688856
Byakuren, and Kasen are superficially good characters despite being evil like the other 2hus.
Miko and Eiki aren't popular enough among secondaries to warrant the hate Byakuren and Kasen, as well as their fags get. But they have similar misconceptions.
>>
File: IMG_1006.jpg (201 KB, 685x510)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>46688856
>>46688945
It’s literally because they’re two of the only actually “nice” characters in Touhou and the fact they fluctuate from being incomprehensibly naive and bullied by other meaner characters for their attitude, to actually being total bastards that betrayed humanity in the past and probably got a lot of people hurt and killed kinda BTFOs any idea of there being a “good” character in the franchise.
Which I got no problem with, it’s a world of monsters and evil pagan gods masquerading as cute anime girls. It’s refreshing that they’re actually act like what they are, tricksters at best, devils at worst. Even the human characters represent the worst of humanity, being barely sane killing machines and narcissistic thieves.
>>
>>46689008
There are few such total misinterpretations as widespread as "youkai Jesus".

in b4, mind I said post-SA
>>
>>46689457
She's more like the anti-christ, Satan, or any other evil religious trickster figure but people are retards and think she's nice.
>>
File: IMG_1119.jpg (1.13 MB, 1290x2000)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>46689382
I know you said secondaries, but Miko and Eiki are wayyyy more popular in and out of Touhou than Byakuren or especially Kasen. Eiki especially had millions of hits on her videos on both YouTube and Nico Nico and is way more slandered as the evil yama punishing people for having bigger boobs or being taller than her.
>>
>>46689510
Eiki is already seen as evil, she's just evil due to participating in a system of oppression against humans.
As well as wanting Youkai to attack humans, being greedy and money hungry, and corrupt in general.
So they're right about her being evil, they just have the wrong reasons.
>>
>>46689510
Your pulling the wrong popularity pool out, you should check the proportional porn fanarts the characters have.
I don't think I have to elaborate on Kasen, and Byakuren is probably at the top 5 or top 10 most lewded 2hus together with Sanae.
>>
>>46689345
De-confirmed in GFW where Marisa deliberately fights non-lethally against Cirno.
>>
File: 1709607459287793.png (38 KB, 197x283)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>46689457
I dont think thats "flanderization", thats just headcannon shit.
ZUN has always treated Byakuren the same way; shes a priest, with all the good and specially the BAD aspects of it.
>>
File: Buddha.jpg (115 KB, 1024x576)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>46689911
>Man makes a series that constantly shits on how shitty religion and its effects on people are, the dangers of how fucked up the actual creatures and gods of said religion are, while highlighting that its leaders are at best scam artists, and at worst psychopaths using it as an excuse to gain more power
>People surprised when the overly nice and saccharine buddhist priest is, in fact, not that nice.
>>
>>46689972
I find it very funny that ZUN shits on both too much religion and too much science
>>
File: Doomer joomer.png (51 KB, 816x906)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>46690071
dudes a genuine Japanese Doomer at times (except the wife, and the success, and the adoration of people y'know) no wonder he drinks so much
>>
>>46689797
Retard that's just because ehse knows Cirno, those two kills hundreds of fairy in each game.
I doubt they take time to go the non-lethal route.
>>
File: 1673932176573941.jpg (53 KB, 680x433)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>46688856
I think it's a group of people trying way too hard to course correct perception of Byakuren and Kasen. They aren't perfect can do nothing wrong goodie two shoes but by and large they at least seem to give a shit about the common good more than most of the others so people elevate them, which makes the cynics who don't like them really upset.
Like the lotus eaters chapter where Byakuren gave Aya a tour of the temple while the other Buddhists were doing some chores came out and they started going "SEE? SEE? IT'S CANON SHE'S JUST MANIPULATING HER FOLLOWERS SO SHE CAN BE LAZY, AYA EVEN THINKS A SNARKY JUDGMENTAL COMMENT ABOUT IT SHE'S A SHITTY ASSHOLE PERSON IT'S CANON". Even though it's quite frankly a dumb example, no shit Byakuren isn't doing chores, she's doing the interview tour with Aya.

The reality is that Byakuren isn't Youkai Jesus and Kasen isn't Mom, they've committed some heinous sins in the past (Kasen more than Byakuren) but they aren't the grimsokyo tier two faced devils that this group of people keep insisting. Clearly someone here has an axe to grind.
>>
>>46690380
Perfect Memento in Strict Sense outlines the point of the spell card system as one to prevent bloodshed. It would make little sense for Reimu to apply it selectively when she herself was the one who made it, and when we see her restrain on boss fairies like Cirno and Eternity which though gameplay wise look different from the generic mobs in-universe are just more fairies.

At most, a fairy might break the rules and do something reckless that puts them in unneeded danger (which is something Mokou might or might not do), but that's on them, not the heroines.
>>
>>46691490
It's literally mentally-ill dramafags carrying over their highschool grudges into the fucking fandom.
>>
>>46691528
Mokou, someone else who can't die, kills herself multiple times during her own fight, and winning that fight involves inflicting so much pain onto her she decides you've won the test of courage.
Fairies fall into the same category of not dying when they are killed, so it's entirely reasonable that killing them is fine as well.
>>
File: IMG_1033.jpg (1.05 MB, 1209x1742)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>46691490
I think people are using the Lotus Eaters example to emphasize how the Dream Self isn’t actually all that different from the real self. If the Lotus Eater scene happened in isolation, yeah it would just be Aya being Aya… but I doubt ZUN would make that very specific callback to AoCF without making a point about Byakuren true intentions.
And again, ZUN really nails the point home that the religious leaders aren’t entirely selfless people doing good for the sake of it, they want fame and power over the village as much as everyone else, they are fine with literally lying to their own followers about shit as petty as a Buddha statue actually being a Youkai (massively blasphemous) because they want visitors to bring money to the temple.
Kasen ain’t exactly much better, she’s a lot of talk yeah, but it’s clear her actions don’t often match her words and she’s pretty bloodthirsty when she wants to be. She’s also one of the people totally responsible for trapping the villagers in Gensokyo in the first place, so I dunno I don’t think it’s “edgy” to point out she’s at best a hypocrite.
>>
>>46695629
Byakuren doesn't even let humans into her temple, she only cares about their money and if they treat youkai nicely.
They could be dying in the streets for all she cares and she's never lift a finger to help them if their trouble didn't inconvenience her.
Kasen's the same way.
>>
File: 1683539647870054.jpg (282 KB, 585x1432)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
>>46695675
>Byakuren doesn't even let humans into her temple
She does, she just doesn't give much of a shit if they're attacked or harassed. And if you can't deal with that, you're just weak lol.
>>
File: ThGKPartIII.png (1.02 MB, 1137x1141)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>46695629
With Byakuren, there's also just a constant pattern of her being lazy in various ways, such as how all her disciples barely make a token effort to follow Buddhist teachings and how Byakuren, despite being the head priest, makes no effort to correct them, her disregard for how humans in Gensokyo are effectively just cattle, and how her only regret about trying to seal Miko away was that she was not powerful enough to pull it off.
Her entire backstory is that she was a human who was afraid of death and turned herself into a youkai, then started to care about the supposed plight of youkai (i.e. her own kind), and how humans supposedly mistreat them, and even in Gensokyo, where youkai absolutely are top dog, she still only cares about the youkai.

If she was a human trying to bridge relations between humans and youkai I could actually respect her, but since she's a literal race traitor only really concerned with her new friends, she just looks even worse than the other scumbags.
And given everything we know about her, I bet that what actually happened in her backstory was that when she argued for human-youkai coexistence, the people were actually receptive to her words until it became apparent that the youkai she supported didn't change their ways at all and kept killing people, at which point they decided to seal her away because she clearly couldn't be trusted.
>>
>>46695722
she lets humans in, she doesn't let them become monks
>>
>>46695763
This post murders Byakuren fans.
>>
>>46695845
The only people who like Byakuren are secondaries and people who don't know any better anyways.
>>
>>46695675
>Byakuren doesn't even let humans into her temple
You know that Lotus Eaters chapter previously mentioned? Where there is a human villager in the temple?
>>46695722
I won't say that Byak is good she is pretty flawed in many ways but we're talking about Marisa, who kicked their asses in UFO and who has the fantastic idea of solving her lying problems with getting an extra tongue when she sees the Yama.
>>
File: LOVE AND PEACE.jpg (593 KB, 1404x2000)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
>>46695763
>And given everything we know about her, I bet that what actually happened in her backstory was that when she argued for human-youkai coexistence, the people were actually receptive to her words until it became apparent that the youkai she supported didn't change their ways at all and kept killing people, at which point they decided to seal her away because she clearly couldn't be trusted.
Ah yes, it all comes back to pic rel.
>>
>>46695763
>>46696569
This is all definitely true, sealing away someone for being kind to youkai in super hell whose already extremely powerful seems like a lot of work for a bunch of peasants to attempt unless they really had a good reason. I'm not sure she went all super genocidal like in that comic, but she absolutely allowed for some heinous shit if shes ok with people getting attacked by youkai on the way to her own damn temple.
>>
>>46695763
Yeah sure, Byakuren bad, but why does no one targets Sanae and Miko? Who are also religious leaders who put up a facade of being nice and good while being elevated by their fags? People seem to be eager to point out Byakuren as a no good hypocrite while leaving Miko, who is basically in her same position and Sanae, who is a trigger happy jenova witness, be, all while there are also a lot of other characters who seem "nice and good" while being assholes at best, like Youmu, who does the same thing as Kasen to the phantoms and only gets a snob in the hand.
Thats what I want to know, what makes Byakuren specifically so special, when ever since I came here everyone has seemingly been in the same page about her being a shitty person, yet still the same threads resurface time and time again.
>>
>>46696569
What's with the riichi stick?
>>
>>46697691
Waifu tribalism.
>>
>>46697691
Because Byakuren fags are deluded enough to think she's a good person.
At least Sanae fags are able to admit she's shady, even if she's only slightly less evil than Byakuren and eviler than Marisa and Reimu.
>>
>>46697691
Because Sanae's worst quality is that she's naive, while Miko's worst sin is not taking control of the Human Village by force, which would have improved lives for humans there tenfold.

Meanwhile nobody likes a hypocrite like Byakuren.
>>
>>46697691
Dude, half this fucking thread is targetting Miko, Literally people started shitting on Miko before Byakuren even got mentioned. So is Sanae
>>46679090
Stop acting persecuted, people talk shit about all the characters all the time, Byakuren is just the one you have to convince her waifufags isn't all that good.
>>
File: 17828461849571.jpg (1.19 MB, 2400x1723)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>Byakuren never do chor-ACK
When the only valid criticism you have for her is that she's being too nice to youkai (which EVERYONE in this damn franchise except for Mizuchi does, mind you), then yeah she's pretty much a youkai Jesus relatively speaking to many of the deranged Gensokyo's inhabitants
Even other religious figure there are pretty much worse than Byakuren (Reimu's human zoo police, Sanae's serving trigger-happy curse gods, and Miko allying herself with Seiga "dead fetus are the best" Kaku)
>>
>>46698832
To be fair Reimu and Sanae are just doing their jobs, and Miko is seemingly trying to keep her distance from Seiga.
>>
>>46698895
Miko isn't even responsible for Seiga. She was dead for most of the time Seiga was around.
>>
>>46698832
I find it funny you're arguing for her case using a page that has a panel literally calling her pseudo-saintly.
Oh and being nicer than literal demons and child murderers isn't exactly high praise.
>>46698895
>Doing their jobs
*insert Unit 731 joke*
Miko associating with her in the first place is bad enough.
>>
Damn I sure love this Kasen thread that is about everyone BUT Kasen.
>>
>>46698895
Reimu and Sanae are almost as bad as Byakuren you sick fuck.
Sanae knows just how good the humans should have it without the oppression of Gensokyo but she doesn't do anything and only values her personal power.
She barely even respect the gods she claims to serve and just uses them as a means to power.
>>
>>46699079
Don't worry, i'm sure another bait thread will appear and we can have the same discussion about how "Touhou Character Bad actually" for the 12th time this week.
>>
>>46699058
>that has a panel literally calling her pseudo-saintly
So?
>being nicer than literal demons and child murderers isn't exactly high praise
Underselling a bit much aren't we?
>>
I wonder if half the people that post in Kasen threads even like her
>>
>>46699595
Only secondaries like Kasen, so yes.
>>
>>46688801
>t. ZUN
>>
File: IMG_1123.jpg (264 KB, 1290x1067)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>46699443
>So?
>>
>>46699663
Secondary franchise
>>
File: 68.png (33 KB, 300x100)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>"I will watch over the Hakurei shrine maiden to make sure she doesn't stray too far from a good path"
>this makes /jp/ upset

>"I think humans and youkai can get along. Do the teachings of Buddha not spread the message of coexistence and harmony?"
>this makes /jp/ irate
>>
File: 1714290642235.jpg (1.11 MB, 1648x1643)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>46633992
Would you?
>>
>>46637745
I dont the Tewi one, what's that about?
>>
>>46673135
>oni strong enough to take on Reimu in a 1v1 fight
Wasn't it a 2v1 with Tenshi being there?
>>
>>46682306
Honestly I prefer these discussions waaay more then the usual "Sex with x 2hu", " x 2hu so sexy" and imagine dumps that many threads here are.
>>
>>46689510
Kaguya and Yuuka that low...

You guys have all shit taste
>>
>>46700728
>/jp/ is actually gay and retarded
>>
>>46695856
Also people who want to stick it in her
>>
The real question is: does Byakuren leave her shopping cart?
>>
>>46701258
In Reimu's LoLK ending she interrogates Eririn about what she was plotting Eirin said she had to rely on humans since Youkai wouldn't be able to properly perceive or stop Junko, and that she didn't inform Reimu of everything since Reimu wouldn't want to help the Lunar Capital. But Eirin thinks Reimu would've eventually helped them out anyways since she considers Reimu kind hearted.
Afterward Tewi asks Reimu who attacked the Lunar capital, telling Tewi the culprit was a Pure Divine Spirit named Junko. In response Tewi said "I knew it" and that the Inaba family finally has a chance, both pretty vague statements Reimu questions but Tewi doesn't elaborate and just barefacedly lies towards Reimu about wanting to do business with the Lunarians.
Reimu doesn't know what Tewi is scheming, but it makes her smile inside and conclude that either the rabbits would be beaten or they'd take over using lucrative words, but Reimu didn't want to be involved.

All in all it's very suspicious, from Eirin implying Reisen is human, to Tewi concluding she has a shot taking on the Lunarians due to Junko being a Divine Spirit, and her "I knew it."
We don't know her exact reason, but pretty much every mythological version of the moon rabbit would have a pretty good reason for wanting to take over the moon so you really have a pick of your poisons in what Tewi is planning or secretly is.
But the implication of Tewi knowing a Pure Divine Spirit could stand against the Lunar Capital seems to be she either is one, or has access to one.
>>
>>46702874
I see, that's quite interesting. I wonder how long we have to wait for this set up to pay off
>>
>>46700728
>”I will watch over the Hakurei shrine maiden to make sure she doesn't stray too far from a good path"
Doesn’t show up more than 1 time after she gets her arm back
> "I think humans and youkai can get along. Do the teachings of Buddha not spread the message of coexistence and harmony?"
Not only allows youkai to attack random people trying to get help from her temple, not only allows her youkai followers to break pretty much every rule with no consequence, but also won’t allow humans to become monks.
Grimly fans win every time
>>
>>46633992
Wait, what alternative ending?
>>
>>46704542
Kasen pops up in Reimu's Eagle ending in WBaWC to say absolutely nothing of importance.
She's just surprised to see the eagle spirits.
>>
>>46676605
Retard here, what did she mean by that? What's the end goal here?
>>
>>46704606
The implication is obviously that many youkai would want to return to the Outside World if they could, which is why the zashiki-warashi jumped on the opportunity before they found out that the people outside didn't actually want zashiki-warashi around and only used the idea as a promotional concept.
Also that the villagers are shallow and that the hobgoblins probably were more trustworthy than the zashiki-warashi.
>>
>>46704606
Youkai domination.
>>
>>46687034
>retconned some stuff
Like what?
>>
>>46703431
Dunno, the Lunarian-Rabbit plot was continued on in UDoaLG with Seiran, who spends the story looking for a Lunarian purification jewel.
Really those sorts of things aren't as impressive and as the narration puts it, basically just magic air purifiers, but are essential for Lunarians who want to live on earth.
With her gaining he resolve to settle in Gensokyo again, it's not much really.
This story line was first in SSiB where a culprit with the ability to evade the lunarians and embody gods was messing around with the Lunar Rabbits and doing something involving a rebellion, then after LoLK Seiran and Rigno desert the army.
But at the very least we know ZUN hasn't forgotten about it, although there's not that much interesting about her lines from the game, apart from Biten's home being in an area that leads to the Lunar Capital, Enoko's jewl being stronger than Seiran's, and her telling Zanmu she's jealous of how energetic are Oni.

>>46704606
I would say something like Youkai Domination, bur Yukari's goal needs to also not conflict with Merry's goal of making Gensokyo a pleasant place, so I'm not entierly sure.
Youkai Domination is probably still the answer though.
>>
>>46704763
Off the top of my head Misty Lake is now a fishless death lank surrounded by the smell of death and only inhabited by Crino and Daiyousei, and also mermaids.
But Cirno hunts, kills, and eats them so they probably have a fairly small population that mostly just ends up killed by Cirno and contributing the the lake's death lake reputation.
>>
>>46704804
I wouldn't put much thought on that TTRPG's lore
If it isn't mentioned in the actual proper franchise, it's pretty much non-canon
>>
>>46704919
The lake being a death lake is refrenced by Larva in the mangas, and in some game endings as well.
Cirno is rather vicious afterall, although it's a bit surprising.
>>
>>46702874
>Eirin implying Reisen is human
I like the idea, the visual cues are there.
Other raisin and tewi have proper bunny ears, udongo has her ears bolted on.
>>
>>46704606
Total Domination of the Human Village, thats what all the Youkai want in the end, to make sure that none of the ever rise up against them. Its stated pretty clearly in Forbidden Scrollery. The spies are to make sure that none of them ever, EVER, even thing about trying anything and if they do they "disappear".
>>
File: 163104307217.png (135 KB, 150x225)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
I wonder how Keine would react if Youkai finally take over the village.
>>
>>46705075
Keine? You mean that woman with the funny hat who got relegated to background cameos in FS a decade or so ago? She's just some teacher.
>>
>>46704804
>cirno eats mermaids
>surrounded by the smell of death
Source?
>>46704929
So it's all cirno's fault?
>>46704919
What TTRPG? Was the lore written by zun or is it like lost world?
>>
File: they won baby.png (1 MB, 1200x1723)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>46705075
>if Youkai finally take over the village.
>Finally
Buddy...
>>
>>46705075
Maybe you should read BAiJR for a good indicator.
>>
>>46705113
In Fairy Wars, Cirno complains about there only being big fish to eat in the lake, later the fish are said to actually be mermaids since no fish live there.
The TTRPG has descriptions written by ZUN and Misty Lake is referenced as a death lake in there like in canon.
>>
>>46705075
Who cares, she's about as relevant as Alice is
>>
File: 1652898597108.png (402 KB, 454x549)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
>>46705244
I do, I like her.
>>46705180
Am I missing something? I already knew of the whole cult trying unravel the history of the land and the fact that youkai know about it but dont take it that seriously, its just Keine complaining about zoomers not being into encyclopedias and Aya being Aya, Im kind of retarded though, so I could be missing the point.
>>46705102
Yeah I guess, but you dont see youkai allying with humans all that often, so it sticked with me.
>>46705173
Is this from CDS?
>>
File: losing.png (1 MB, 1200x1723)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>46705272
Yep, makes it pretty clear that the village is run wild with Youkai to a point even the evil Jailbait King is like "holy fuck thats a lot of youkai"
>>
>>46705287
I should really get around to read that thing and stop munching wiki articles.
On that note, since this is basically a lore discussion thread, I guess the whole "Mokou is just an inmortal human" is off the table now, right?
>>
>>46705302
The shape of her body confirms to her soul.
So no, although she is pretty weird for a human.
>>
>>46705309
More accurately, her soul simply creates a fitting body around itself when the old one dies. Source: Alice's IN dialogue.
>>
>>46705309
>>46705321
But wouldnt that imply that the magicians are also human? Because they are explicitly stated time and time again to be youkai.
Also, if Mokou is indeed just a super mutated human, how did Mizuchi get a hold on her? Isnt she supposed to be able to hijack Youkai?
>>
>>46705339
Nah, Mizuchi can possess anything as long as it's a person, and youkai and humans are both people.
>>
>>46705397
>youkai and humans are both people
Huh??? How does that work??? I thought they looked the same for the sake of moe???
>>
File: Spirots.png (1.01 MB, 1200x1723)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>46705424
Nah its that Mizuchi can possess anyone, but youkai and gods are similar enough to vengeful spirits that its extra easy to possess them.;
>>
>>46705424
Well as long as somebody is a person they're people aren't they? And to be a person you need to not be an animal, have a sense of self, as well as a soul.
So 'people' is a pretty broad category, although it's probably easier for her to possess more spiritual beings, since they're more similar to vengeful spirits.
Vengeful spirits seem to be able to possess things similar to them more easily.
>>
>>46694766
Fairies need at least a day's period to revive as stated by the three Fairies of Light. Killing one would be literal cheating by the spellcard rules.
>>
>>46695629
>they want fame and power over the village as much as everyone else, they are fine with literally lying to their own followers about shit as petty as a Buddha statue actually being a Youkai (massively blasphemous) because they want visitors to bring money to the temple.
Curiously, the one religious leader where this isn't the case is Reimu herself. She doesn't like her job, but she does it for the sake of Gensokyo's stability, even if it leaves her in poverty. At most, she'll run a funding drive with people she knows in a manner that's more reminiscent of your local church bake-sale.
>>
>>46706099
Reimu's keeping of the barrier and Gensokyo's inherit evil is evil of course so it's not like that earns her any points.
>>
>>46706099
Reimu, for all her faults and the fact she willingly helps dangerous youkai control her own people with little remorse, does ultimately believe she is doing what she is doing for the right reasons.
That being said she would absolutely steal candy from a baby and is notoriously greedy and exploitative so i'm pretty sure her only issue with the statue is that she didn't think of it first.
>>
>>46706085
Tell that to the hundreds of fairies the heroines kill in each game, they aren't even dueling them just cutting them down.
>>
>>46705424
They do look the same for the sake of moe.
As spiritual creatures, Youkai and Gods are more susceptible to being overtaken by vengeful spirits. On top of this, its possible for them to even "die" at the hands of said vengeful spirits, becoming all new youkai all together with the old youkai dying permanently.
If I remember correctly, vengeful spirits can actually inhabit inanimate objects.
>>
>>46706814
The biggest evidence against this is Eternity Larva fighting Reimu both as a midboss and as the endboss in the same stage.
>>
>>46707944
So? Larva survives all the scenarios because she gets away and the heroes don't care to harass her, Marisa and Reimu aren't the type to go out of their way to kill normally.
But if a fairy, like say the countless mob fairies who they kill, ends up dying they wont care.
>>
>>46706843
Imagine if everything about the characters personalities was the same… but they were slightly uglier.
The genocide would be real
>>
>>46695629
>She’s also one of the people totally responsible for trapping the villagers in Gensokyo in the first place
To be fair, she seems to have changed her mind about that.

>>46697691
Sanae is too poorly written for people to judge her for anything. Miko meanwhile is, at worst, held accountable for NOT taking over the Human village. She's also significantly more self aware even at her worst.
>>
>>46704690
>Also that the villagers are shallow and that the hobgoblins probably were more trustworthy than the zashiki-warashi.
Correct. Though I still mostly pity them.
>>
>>46705075
>If
Haha.
>>
>>46706099
Reimu is basically the bitch queen of Gensokyo already. At best she's too dumb to realize it.
>>
I'm not going to lie, I think the print works suck across the board.
>>
>>46712358
>She seem to have changed her mind about that
Wow how convenient after literally trapping all of them in a way that they can never escape or rebel under their own that she finally feels bad, even though she hasn't done a single thing to do anything about it and has even helped Gensokyo from being destroyed before.
Same way she felt real bad about killing thousands of innocent people only after she got her ass kicked and watched all her fellow oni die by human hands.
>>
>>46704976
Even the other moon rabbits have actual rabbit ears, Reisen has hers bolted on and when given more detailed portraits they look like fabric.
Although I don't think we've gotten a higher detailed look at Seiran and Ringo, Seiran does have an ear-ring thing on one of her ears.
>>
>>46712674
Look, we are grading on a pretty hard scale. Compared to literal child murders she's at least able to repent.
>>
>>46712649
Wow, tell us something else anons haven't been saying since SSiB.
>>
>>46714146
I mean mythologically speaking she absolutely murdered a few hundred children as well during her rampages, and repentance kinda falls flat when she outright denies her own past to everyone while pretending to be some wise sage and also lives in a literal paradise mansion free of all trouble.
Not exactly suffering for her actions is she.
>>
>>46714423
True she hasn't even helped out anybody else in a meaningful way she's still just as selfish and terrible than she was back in the day.
>>
>>46712649
Forbidden scrollery is pretty damn good
>>
>>46717913
She's not an angel (being a literal devil and all) but that's plain wrong, she's saved everyone from a fire during a festival, prevented her arm from killing even more people and, for what it's worth, she was Reimu's guardian and support over a long period of time.
>>
>>46719718
FS is the worst of them.
>>
File: Kasen sucks.png (981 KB, 1200x1723)
981 KB
981 KB PNG
>>46719869
>prevented her arm from killing even more people
She absolutely failed at that because her arm was literally killing dozens of people in the outside world until she finally found it, then she fucked up and let it loose so it could drag Reimu down to super hell.
>She was Reimu's guardian and support
She at first only cared about Reimu because she wanted to use her to help seal her arm permanently, she was also so bad at her job that she almost got Reimu killed and she needed the assistance of Tenshi to even survive, and even then the odds were so stacked against her that Eiki herself said it was an even split if she even survived. Then y'know... never apologized about it. Kasen fuckin sucks dude.
>>
>>46721701
>fuckin sucks dude.
That's one way of understating it.
>>
>>46719869
I mean, her helping Reimu wasn’t entirely out of the goodness of her heart, she always had an ulterior motive to get her trust to help her with her arm. I’m sure she did grow to care about Reimu but pretty much all her kindness is in service of her own goals.
>>
File: IMG_6532.png (1.38 MB, 1170x1019)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
what would it take for Kasen-chan to redeem herself and atone for her crimes?
>>
>>46727575
Genocide Youkai and destroy Gensokyo.
>>
>>46727575
She must have died alone
a long, long time ago
>>
Why do these threads attract so much mental illness?
>>
>>46727575
I feel like actually following through on opposing Yukari and Okina... or y'know, bare minimum admitting to actually being a murderous oni and still trying to improve herself and be helpful despite everyone knowing who she really is.
>>
>>46728971
Fans love touhou.
>>
>>46730124
No Touhou fan don't really like Touhou at all, we spend more time being spoiled by ZUN and bitching about how everything si perfect than talking about what we like, although there was a good lore thread a little bit ago.
Which oddly enough had Kaguya as the poster girl not Kasen.
>>
>>46730147
>bitching about how everything si perfect than talking about what we like
true most threads about a character are complaining or just lusting over them but we can change that. What do you like about Kasen? l like the contrast between her and arm chan and how she does try to be better even if it doesn't always come off that way but for an oni its very impressive
>>
File: IMG_0990.jpg (771 KB, 1290x652)
771 KB
771 KB JPG
>>46730430
TBF, her being an objectively shitty and hypocritical hero is honestly really cool. I think a lot of people forget that every Touhou character barring like 3-4 decent blokes are all the worst of humanity or literal hell demons. It’s a commentary on not only the dangers of religion but how sometimes mythical utopias ain’t always what it’s cracked up to be. Even ZUN himself, a guy who shits on modern Japan and thinks future will be a soulless wasteland thinks Gensokyo would suck to live in. Touhou is way cooler if everyone’s a jerk.
>>
>>46730503
>It’s a commentary on not only the dangers of religion but how sometimes mythical utopias ain’t always what it’s cracked up to be.
Fedora tipping is apparently good, as long as it's japanese doing it.
>>
>>46731835
Japanese people have a lot better reasons to hate their religions than Americans do. Jap Buddhists are so misogynistic they make Islam look like 4th wave Feminism.
>>
>>46734551
Uhh, based?
>>
>>46737964
Even me as a major misogynist thinks “women instantly go to hell for merely existing and can only achieve enlightenment by burning in hell before becoming a man and trying again that way” is a little mean.
>>
>>46734551
lmao
>>
>>46738899
Listen man, menstruation hell is no laughing manner.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.