[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GLYh5sjWwAAbL4J.jpg (173 KB, 1439x1624)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>
File: 1712279490348292.jpg (82 KB, 705x1000)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Only the best for the usn
>>
>>61434995
For the US Army?
100% CBRN officers, that's where they send the worst ones or ordnance.
>>
>>61435008
I thought they still sent the fuck ups to logistics, aka peeling potatoes in Alaska?
>>
>>61434995
Just like Down Periscope.
>>
>>61435018
No, you actually want competent people to run logistics. It's just people don't really want to be in the logistics branch, however it does give you a lot of civilian qualifications, my old S4 got out after 6 years and became a manager at an amazon center making a lot of money.
>>
>>61434995
To my unit
>>
>>61435038
many such cases
>>
Makes sense though, Subs have the worst accommodations. You want your best officers to be comfy and happy so they stay a long time. Officers in subs are going to quit ASAP regardless of their qualifications and test scores.
>>
>>61435006
kek, I guess its universal. I always thought Sub officers were supposed to be the "best".
>>
Do Chinese officers cheat during candidate school or in officer academy?
>>
>>61435066
probably, cheating is kinda a universal thing
>>
>>61435066
>Do Chinese [...] cheat
duh, was it a rhetorical
>>
>>61435066
Some people from every subset of every group from every culture cheat in every activity. The question is always how severe the type of cheating is and what proportion of those people do it.
>>
PRC nuclear subs are most likely considered death traps. There also doesn't seem to be any way to profit through bribes and graft, so it cuts the officer out of the gravy train.
>>
>>61435008
So where do they send the best officers?
>>
File: 40c.png (169 KB, 429x480)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
>>61435030
>became a manager at an amazon center
>>61435030
>making a lot of money
>>
>>61435227
This
>>61435030
Unironical the bottom spectrum is going to be sent to the front lines to get droned. Anyone competent is going to be kept to run the vastly complex systems needed to stop incoming missle/drone swarms.

Weapons are good enough now a single mistake can instantly cost you a factory or power plant.
>>
>>61434995
Infantry
>>
>>61435227
cyber and pilots
>>
>>61435008
>ordnance
can confirm ordnance. buddy graduated bottom of his class at usma and got sent to artillery
>>
>>61435365
Typically becoming an Infantry Officer is a very competitive spot.
>>61435368
I would say Aviation > Cyber > Military Intelligence are the top 3
>>
>>61435056
They are in a communist totalitarian dictatorship. They only get the choices given to them.
>>
>>61435066
So you either get the lousiest at cheating or the most honest lower tier test takers?
>>
File: 252342324242e.jpg (1.81 MB, 2000x2500)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
What about the commissars?
>>
>>61434995
>Build submarine.
>Staff it with subpar personnel.
Seems like they're just being economical.
>>
>>61434995
>China copying yet another German design
>>
>>61435066
Poorfags cheat, the richer ones just bribe their scores to be better.
>>
I'm not sure how it's done now, but the US Army used to evenly split the top 10% of ROTC cadets and the bottom 10% across all branches. The idea being to split your top performers and bottom performers evenly. Now the 80% in the middle makes a huge variation, with the bottom performers generally going to Chemical and Air Defense. Aviation and Infantry were usually the top.
>>
Security.

If you can't make it anywhere else, they make you a cook. If you can't handle being a cook, they put you in security.
>>
>>61437536
something similar happened at USAFA to a couple of my friends.

Girl who was in the top of our class got Missiles since they realized that putting idiots in charge of our nukes was a bad idea. She was pissed and rightfully so. She got completely fucked over and had to sit in a silo after graduation.

Guy in the bottom of the class got kicked from missiles and went straight to space after the officer in charge of the cadet squadron wrote a heinous letter basically saying this guy is a shitbag and cant be trusted with nukes.
>>
>>61434995
>sending its worse officers to its best naval asset
Implessive
>>
>>61434995
Traditionally, you reassign them to the most remote and meaningless post available.
For the US army, that means either Fort Polke, in the middle of a Louisiana Swamp, Fort Irwin, in the middle of a Californian dessert, and Fort Drum, which is ostensibly there to protect us from a dreaded Canadian Invasion.
>>
>>61434995
PLAN nuke subs are really shit, considerably worse than their conventional boats. They actively scrapped plans to expand that class of ships because the performance was so low. Better cadres are sent to the regular SS fast attacks. In general through the bathymetery around Taiwan sucks balls for undersea warfare, it's shallow as fuck.

In the US Navy the shitty officers all go to Surface Warfare, as there are various barriers to entry to the other communities which they can't meet or exceed. It also has the shortest commitment time so guys looking to do one hitch to pay back their ROTC commitment or whatever will go SWO. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Bigger problem is that the SWO training pipeline is literally a joke. And the throughput of needing like 10 guys at the intake to get 2 who actually sign up for a second tour leads to weird situations with ~15% of the entire crew of a DDG being first tour ensigns or JGs.
>>
>>61434995
Why are you spamming this shit thread, faggot?
>>
>>61435066
>>61435407
>cheating is rampant in your society
>assign the ones who get 200% scores on tests to positions where they can't cause any problems
>the lowest scores get the actually important assignments like Nuclear sub captain, since they're the only ones who are honest
implessive.
>>
>>61438226
Would you prefer another Hangun General?
>>
>>61435303
can you drone meta midwits atleast stay in your fucking containment threads
>>
>>61438935
>can you drone meta midwits atleast stay in your fucking containment threads
just open the suez back up to pre-Oct 7th traffic levels and over all tonnage first, then you can run your mouth again, ok!
>>
>>61435018
Logistics is what makes the US military as powerful as it is so the last thing you want are the retards running it.
>>
>>61435030
>No, you actually want competent people to run logistics. It's just people don't really want to be in the logistics branch, however it does give you a lot of civilian qualifications, my old S4 got out after 6 years and became a manager at an amazon center making a lot of money.

>>61439081
>the US militaries core strength is being an amazon™ warehouse middle management recruiting pipeline
^bleak
>>
>>61439208
>soldiers do civilian jobs after they get out
wow so fucking grim...
>>
>>61439459
hol up, i can't be a lifetime praporshchik and live off of selling kalashnikovs and combat gear on the bazar or extort money from new recruits thanks to dedovchina™?
this is why weak americans always of lost. their cumrades all do civilian job without power or connection xaxaxa
>>
>>61434995
ADA for sure.
I swear to god I'm not making this up, I watched an ADA 2LT walk around with his fucking pants on backwards in Saudi Arabia when they were doing a drill in full combat kit because he liked how easier he could reach into his pockets. He also tripped and fell on the only fucking rock within about fifty miles.
>>
>>61437761
From what I understand Fort Drum would be the first US boots on the ground to defend Ottawa if someone tried to come at Canada.
e.g 10th Mountain being winter warfare experts etc.
>>
>>61435066
if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough.

in fact, being able to cheat your way through life is a valuable skill.
even in the military, because nobody fights fair
>>
>>61439620
Literally nigger tier behavior. It's one thing when you're fighting someone outside your in-group but to cheat in your own society is third worlder tier
>>
>>61439743
IDK, I bribed the HM3 to falsify my hearing test results at NAMI and served 10 years without any apparent deficiency due to not being able to tell when the fucking machine was beeping or not. Cheating directly against another in group competitor is pretty faggy but cheating to get around a med requirement in a job that is known to instantly destroy your hearing anyway seemed pretty innocuous to me.
>>
>>61439208
Just because your job is vital doesn't mean it isn't soul crushing and utterly unrewarding. In fact, it's the exact opposite, that's why slavery existed for so long.
>>
>>61434995
If I'm assuming they're doing this for a well thought-out reason (and it's China, so this may be a stretch), perhaps the idea is that in the event of a nuclear war, these dudes will absolutely not hesitate to turn the key and end the world as we know it, since these dudes have no real stake in it. The other possibility is that China doesn't really want a nuclear exchange because, ignoring MAD, that means they lose all their customers and their economy implodes twice as hard. Neither or both could be true, this is an entirely uninformed speculation that I pulled from the depths of my anus.
>>
>>61434995
They're hoping they'll open the wrong valve and 361 themselves again.
>>
File: the-right-thing.jpg (183 KB, 340x402)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>61435006
>>
>>61435095
A culture is officially past saving when cheating is normalised so much that it isn't distinguished from general smarts
for example, >>61439620
Because cheating examinations and other people is relatively easy, but you can't cheat cold hard reality once the social obligations are out of the way
Of course sometimes it is the examination itself that is bullshit and not representative, in which case cheating it turns out to be harmless, but in general your society is heading down the shitter when this is applied everywhere.
>>
>>61439848
This
People think it's a gotcha that "essential workers" happened to largely be some of the lowest paid jobs in the pandemic
But "important" and "irreplaceable" are very different things. Amazon packers are very important to our current society, but also utterly replaceable. That's what drives wages far more than the actual importance of your job - if you just disappeared or quit, how hard would it be to replace you?
>>
>>61439208
Retard detected. Logistics is the most important aspect of any war, even more so than weapons and soldiers. You are only as effective as your supply lines. Rome built an empire not because they had competent soldiers but because they could supply those soldiers efficiently.
>>
Because China is corrupt to the core.
>>
>>61439208
>Oh no! I got out of the military with the skills to obtain a 6 figure job!
>>
>>61440680
>Logistics is the most important aspect of any war
troop training is the most important
it's such a fundamental aspect of war most people on this fucking board forget it is which is confusing because they somehow manage to laugh at helpless, untrained vatniks but then turn around and imagine trained western soldiers just appear like stds in their mom after another drunken alleyway train
what's the point of getting shit anywhere if nobody knows how to use it?
and more importantly, use it well, so you don't need four ATGMs to do the job of one
it's simply not possible to supply ten million retards with enough crayons to topple or defend a nation state
even if your doctrine is to just keep pushing untrained men into the meatgrinder, logistics is still number two because propaganda ensures you don't run out of suicidal meat to grind
>>
>>61440768
>6 figure job!
>Amazon warehouse middle management
You're looking at 30-35 an hour. Yeah hourly, not salaried.
>>
>>61438423

No, actually I would have preferred another pregnant Anne Frank thread
>>
>>61440776
Rather be hourly than salaried.
>t. salaried and working way more than 40 a week.
>>
>>61435056
*you want your best officers to be comfy and happy because they're members of the Party or familiy members of those who are part of the Party.
>>
>>61435442
PLA never had those.
>>
>>61438423
I'd prefer you rope yourself before duplicating an active thread.
>>
File: 1712856635773605.png (861 KB, 1230x1344)
861 KB
861 KB PNG
>>61441055
Yeah they did. They just called them cooks.
>>
>>61434995
>reactor radiation shielding is made in China
They get 3.6 R as a punishment for the low score.
>>
>>61435056
Wrong. Subs are the only ships left in the fleet trhat still have deep fat fryers installed onboard.
>>
>>61435236
If an amazon warehouse shuts down for even 10 minutes the company is losing millions of dollars. Amazon needs people who will keep the machine running at 100%, 24/7 no matter what, and it is worth shelling out the big bucks to hire the most qualified individuals.
>>
>>61440872
ah, a man of taste and culture
>>
>>61441444
Wouldn't that be a fire hazard or something?
>t. ignorant
>>
>>61441444
>https://youtu.be/hpQFKF174HI
I was gonna say there's no damn way our aircraft carriers don't.
>>
>>61435056
Aren’t American submariners treated amazingly well, even for the navy? Like best pay, best food, everything they can give them to keep them happy with a dull but necessary job?
>>
>>61439527
>walk around with his fucking pants on backwards in Saudi Arabia when they were doing a drill in full combat kit because he liked how easier he could reach into his pockets
That man is either a complete genius or a complete retard, with zero inbetween.
>>
>>61440776
>middle management

The S4 would be running the whole warehouse
>>
>>61439208
>the US military is so goddamn good at logistics that fucking Amazon poaches them to run their supply chain
Rest of the world can't even compare. And logistics is what wins wars.
>>
>>61444324
Right up there with Nukes, but yea. Best food only really holds up until the fresh stuff starts to run out during a longer patrol, though.
>>
So where do the best officers go?
>>
>>61439553
Fair point, but who the hell is taking a swing at Canada?
>>
File: Issa me, Luigi Cadorna.png (695 KB, 1100x790)
695 KB
695 KB PNG
>>61440775
>troop training is the most important
>t.
Overemphasizing infantry training at the expense of logistical considerations leads to way more problems than it solves. It doesn't matter if your entire army is comprised of bio-engineered super-soldiers, if they can't obtain the supplies they need, they are going to get fucked by the side that can. You can see this with the Russian military in Ukraine right now. The meatwave tactics aren't unsuccessful solely due to the lack of training the average mobik gets (though it does play a role, don't get me wrong), but rather it's mostly because they're logistically unsustainable. Russia is incapable of replenishing their losses in these attacks, both in men and material, because of their de-industrialized state, poor maintenance of military stockpiles, difficulty in efficiently transporting new men and material to the front, and general lack of manpower, all of which i would say are logistical problems. If they wish to win, Russia must either fix these logistics issues (which is functionally impossible), or radically change it's tactics in order to cope with them. In either case, it would be the logistical realities that shaped the course of the war rather than anything else. Better training could improve things marginally, but ultimately it would not be enough on it's own whether or not a soldier knows to fire an ATGM if he doesn't have any to fire in the first place.
>>
>>61439527
>liked how easier he could reach into his pockets
That's actually a good reason though.
>>
File: pepe and son.png (247 KB, 750x667)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>61434995
>Where does the military send the worst officers?
Training new recruits.
>>
>>61441154
Not good, not terrible.
>>
>>61445700
doesnt matter if your peasant rabble is drowning in ammo if they dont know what it is or which way you need to load it
>>
>>61438176
This explains a lot about the f&ckups Pacific was having with their ships the last ten years or so. Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>61440775
Who cares if you have the best trained soldiers if those soldiers have no food, no clothes, no gun, no ammo, no medical supplies, no fucking tent to sleep in… they’re gunna be pretty fucking useless compared to any retard with a bolt action rifle
>>
>>61434995
The put them in subs because
1. Need people that won't question the order to nuke millions of people
2. Need people that can be replaced when the sub malfunctions and kills everyone inside
>>
>>61435030
You don't actually need to be competent to run logistics at the junior levels. You follow a flowchart dreamed up by smarter people than you and try to not allow the tards you're trying to wrangle to tard too much.
Logistics and administration tail swallow huge numbers of officers and the only time you need them to actually think is when they they themselves hit general and it's time to make new flowcharts for tards to follow. By that stage hopefully you've weeded out the retards.
Infantry and any teeth arm is highly competitive to get into, everybody wants to lead an infantry platoon so teeth units generally get the pick of the crop.
>>
>>61450754
cont.
To answer OPs question though, the absolute worst officers you will encounter, in fact the worst soldiers generally, will almost certainly be in the mover sub-caste of logistics dweebs. For people who don't know, movers are kind of like travel agents for the military. They in theory book flights and then tard wrangle people onto those flights. They know they are shit and their command knows they are shit so they give them plenty of time to unfuck themselves, so troops normally are advised to be ready to move and waiting to board the plane or whatever 12 hours in advance of actual planned boarding time.
Then they will fuck up so dramatically that the entire plane is cancelled and 200 pissed off troops are sitting in a glorified warehouse for the first 2 days of their 2 weeks leave.
>>
>>61440776
When you work hourly and make 1.5-double you will make six figures with an extra few hours a week you absolute gorilla retard.
>>
>>61434995
Officer recruitment, training and deployment is really variable on the military and its culture.
Generally the biggest schism between one Officer and another is the difference between a Command and Staff, so if you do actually have people to wrangle around that does tend to have its own caveat that someone thinks you're competent enough to be that responsible for others.(actual mileage on competent may vary!) Staff exist to make the higher command's life easier and handle all the retarded shit no one else cares about like having to book a meeting room, flight somewhere or do a powerpoint presentation telling the troops not to rape each other or how bashing the locals on your deployment is not ok.
>Being an officer inevitably means paperwork
>Being you will be busy, you'll probably fuck some of it up
Staff tend to take great and sick delight in pointing out how much of a fuckup you are and if they really don't like you, they'll do it in front of the CO just to rub your nose in the mess like a naughty puppy. Generally the CO really doesn't care unless you consistently fuck it up because he knows that Staff need someone to bully and command line officers are their chew-toy that gives them a reason to come into the office every day. But, if you're already in the CO's shit list of complete fuck ups, it'll be held over your head forever and a day.

In terms of departments, kind of hard to say but it really does depend on your qualifications at lot of the time. If you scraped under the bar with something like an arts degree- they stick those guys anywhere they can't cause too much damage to anyone else. Intel, Security, Logistics, Motor Pool, Freight, Anti-air and into the Staff pig pen. Not that you won't find good officers in those roles either, sometimes those departments get lucky once in a while by accident.
Having an actually useful degree in STEM means you do tend to get a better pick of commands, even if you are a nerd
>>
File: logi lol.png (176 KB, 590x814)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
>>61450754
Nobody wants to hear it but logistics is a non-elite caste of soldiers for a reason. It's easily centralized compared to other jobs.
>>
>>61451412
I will add-
Officers who go through the academy are also sometimes also found to have actual leadership qualities and 'get it' when it comes to interacting with other humans, they will get a command of some sort. Overall though, the safer-places to be to avoid dud officers are in the Medical, Engineering, Communications side of things because they generally know a little bit about what they're doing or know enough to at least be semi-useful some of the time. However these are sometimes seen as a bit of a dead-end career wise because there's a generic 'grey area' involved in those tasks which means the barely capable and the very competent get hit with the same brush of apathy from those in higher ranks.
Actual testing qualifications to go up in rank are generally so easy a fucking moron and bumble through it with half a clue, so its hardly an indicator either. If someone literally turns up on time for the next 10-12 years they will probably make Major and potentially be involved in Major Fuckups later on.

Deployments I found to be a mixed blessing, like if you have the rank and seen some blood. Troops will generally be much more favourable to you going out there and managing not to get a whole lot of other troops killed in the process of your deployment and you might even get almost some respect!
The downside is that your life in the field getting shot at usually means you're outside of the eye of people deciding to make the decision on promotion, all they want is your progress report at the end of each day and how well your mission is progressing, I have literally sat in an irrigation trench typing out a report in a minor firefight to make sure it got to them by 9pm, because the staff officers would have started calling me on the comm all night if I didn't, because late report = bad monkey

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.