[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1707152036276.jpg (82 KB, 605x640)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
What kind of man do you have to be to be a marksman?
>>
>>61482845
Former sniper section leader here. The requirements for my guys were the following:
>GT score of 100 or higher on the ASVAB (USASC requirement)
>Expert marksmanship qualification in last 6 months (USASC requirement)
>no UCMJ, discipline issues, or general fucked up shit going on
>at least 80 or higher in every event on the ACFT (section average was a 550 total)
>12 mile ruck with 35lbs dry under 2:45
>pass a unit internal tryout/selection consisting of rucking, land nav, KIMS, basic target detection, marksmanship, and general smokefest hazing bullshit as a gut check
Most of the skills involved in sniper work can be taught and you can reach the necessary physical performance levels with effort, but I also required that guys looking to get in meet the following more subjective criteria:
>decent social skills and teamwork skills, but also the ability to work independently and without explicit guidance 24/7
>ability to shut the fuck up and get work done when needed without getting butthurt about it
>not retarded (entirely separate from the GT requirement)
>most critically: giving a fuck about the job for its own sake instead of chasing the title of "sniper" for clout or to take coolguy pics for the gram or whatever the fuck
Note that I ran a section of snipers and not designated marksmen, who were usually just good shots in their respective squads who were assigned a DMR without training for or focusing on anything besides marksmanship.
>>
>>61482845
sociopathy, steady hands
>>
profieciency in a recon role first
the ability to shoot straight
own initiative and intelligent enough that you don't need supervision
>>
>>61482938
this
>>
>>61482845
A patient one.
>>
>>61482845
small cock so it wont get in the way when laying on hard surfaces for hours straight
>>
>>61482929
>12 mile ruck with 35lbs dry under 2:45
>2:45 minutes
>165 seconds
>13.75 seconds per mile
> 261.818 miles per hour
>faster than a F1 car
>>
>>61484509
2 hours 45 minutes you fucking retard
>>
I really cool stoike guy
>>
>>61482845
good shot + pro at sneaking and hiding
>>
>>61484509
Dangerously based retard
>>
>>61484509
>not retarded (entirely separate from the GT requirement)
Sorry anon, you aren't going to make the cut.
>>
>>61482929
How much of the training is more recon / FAC type stuff?
Is it common to have the sniper or spotter JTAC qualed?
>>
>>61482845
Patient
Stress-resistant
Cunning
Sharp
Sneaky
Fit
Sharp eyesight, even with all the tacticool eyepro with inserts to replace your everyday prescription goggles/sight correction you may not pass.
Decent at maths and ballistics
>>
>>61482845
A very patient one
>>
>>61484926
>FAC
>JTAC
Lol dude, I was in a mechanized infantry unit. We were lucky to be able to send guys to the course we were required by MTOE to attend. I did force my guys to do the online JFOF course but that was about it. We wouldn't do shit like write actual reports like some sneaky RSLC type recon unit would but we would send up grids of important stuff on the battlefield, call for fire on juicy targets, provide on the ground recon of an area or target, that kind of thing.
Depending on the unit you can end up doing more recon oriented stuff compared to simply shooting at people far away, especially if you get RSLC qualified or are in a brigade/division with a C troop/LRS or equivalent. YMMV though.
>>
>be marksman
>carry your poop in backpack
smells bad man
>>
>lack of motherly love
>touch of autism
>burning desire to win approval from daddy surrogate/authority figure/commanding officer
>lack or real world job prospects
>asexual

since u post on /k/ op u likely meet most of the requirements. best of luck!
>>
>>61482929
god damn this is the most underaged post i've seen in quite some time, go to /soc/ if you want to play pretend
>>
>>61482845
Type of guy who is willing to risk being buttfucked to death if you get caught.
You are literally going to die from anal bleeding while some guy is gouging out your eyeballs with a knife.
You are the scum of the earth only second to drone operators. But they are a safe distance from the enemy you aren't.
Practice putting a gun in your mouth every day and hope for the best.
>>
>>61488891
Kek, if the enemy catches you with shit in your bag you're eating that with a side of your penis that was severed with a box cutter.
>>
>>61484509
>>61484512
>>61484865
>>61484906
>a magical place
>>
>>61482845
All the scout snipers I knew when I was in were racist sociopaths it was awesome
>>
>>61484509
I almost choked
>>
>>61489265
Anon a conventional line battalion sniper isn't a fucking green beret. By MTOE there's between 10 and 30 per battalion in every infantry battalion, depending on what type of BCT it's in. What's so unbelievable about this?
>>
>>61482845
Countryman

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.